Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I wonder how many people freezing in the dark in the northeast would trade for a spot on a well stocked drifting cruise ship. Current temperature in Progreso is 81 degrees. :cool:

That's like saying we shouldn't concern ourselves with the Costa Concordia because more people died on the Titanic.

Wonderful logic, Mr. Schultz!:rolleyes:

Am I wrong in my thoughts, but wasn't the Concordia disaster the fault of the CAPTAIN? That was not CCL's fault....I might be wrong (I am super sure if I am someone will correct me).:eek:

Also to whoever posted about the ship apparently listing.... may I ask where you got that information from ?

Legally a company is responsible for the actions of it's agent. Therefore Carnival the parent company is as guilty as Captain Coward.

I am one of those people. I will be sailing on Carnival in 12 days and I can't wait!!

No one is in danger right now. They have food and drink. They have 3 extra days to sit on the Lido looking at the beautiful ocean. Carnival is compensating them very, very well. A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work, cold and snow. Crap happens. Just go with it.

My guess is that you wouldn't be saying that on day three of no toilets, no showers, and no hand washing.

Don't know, don't care. It's almost irrelevant, Their prior personal knowledge of this ships ongoing problems shld have made them cancel and fix it. It's not one incident we're talking about here. This ship has had issue after issue after issue -- and i believe it's because they kept slapping band-aids on it and sending it back out to sea with new passengers. This practice must be investigated.

I agree.

I'm also curious about this waiver.

Yeh and that Tom Hanks guy in that castaway movie...Why didn't he realize Fedex gave him a free trip to a tropical paradise when he could have been toiling away in

Memphis.

Now that's funny!!! Lol. It's not quite the same thing as you are talking about a fictional movie (very good one I might add), and I am talking about a cruise ship that will be at a port on Wednesday. Big difference.

I just went on Carnival's website and did a mock booking and the next sailing that comes up for the Triumph is March 21st. That is my sailing. I pray it will be fixed by then. We have had this trip planned for over a year for my daughter and her friends for a senior spring break trip. On the other hand, I want them to take their time to fix the problem correctly because next time it could be so much worse if there were another fire. I am praying for all those on the ship now.

Even if there were such a cable and it could be of use, it doesn't seem like 1 ships power generating capabilty would be so oversized as to be able to handle the requirments of 2 ships.

Especially since Elation is older and smaller than Triumph. ;)

That may be totally true. I don't know.

But I will assume that some of those (who've not yet reached your own Diamond status) would be bummed to learn that the rules clearly state that any free/gratis sailings do not earn any VIFP points. So this one can be erased from the loyalty points books.

The Ecstasy was delayed by the early storms before Ike, so our 5-day cruise with 2 ports turned into a 3-day cruise to nowhere. We got a 50% refund of our original cruise and 50% off of our next cruise. When I look at my points, I got 6 total for the original cruise and 5 for the replacement 5-day cruise the next summer.

I just went on Carnival's website and did a mock booking and the next sailing that comes up for the Triumph is March 21st. That is my sailing. I pray it will be fixed by then. We have had this trip planned for over a year for my daughter and her friends for a senior spring break trip. On the other hand, I want them to take their time to fix the problem correctly because next time it could be so much worse if there were another fire. I am praying for all those on the ship now.

This is what i get when i do a mock booking:

2qwkmd1.png

Kinda strange how tomorrow cruise is a best deal :confused::rolleyes:

Of course it's not the TSA. They have nothing to do with mechanical safety of planes, either.

Coast Guard is generally responsible for ship safety inspections. NTSB investigates marine accidents. Don't know if this incident would qualify for an NTSB investigation, but it might. Also, since the ship is registered in the Bahamas there may be a Bahamian agency that will want in on any investigation.

A couple of notes -

The US Department of State in coordination with ICE has the authority and ability to override entrance requirements to the US. Passengers without passports but with proper ID may get some extra screening when they arrive, but it can be managed fairly easily, especially if they are moved en masse via charter flights to one location and they can get US Customs officers to that airport or the dock. The State Department could issue temporary passports but probably won't. Until the details are finalized however, options remain open.

Second, Carnival itself reported the ship is on emergency power, so that can be taken as accurate because its not something you would want to report as a good thing. Emegency power generally provides basic lighting and air movement (not air conditioning) throughout the ship as well as the medical center, bridge and engine control room operations and depending on the configuration possibly food storage in a limited form. High draw items such as cooling, cooking and most critically, water purification and production are offline. In addition, since they are on emergency power, this means that all 4 primary generators are unable to provide power to the ship. Since it is unlikely for all 4 to fail, the most likely point of failure is the power grid itself in some form. As this is eerily reminiscent of the Splendor fire, the possibility of a design or systemic flaw must be raised.

Third, right now the transfer of materials and persons is a very dangerous process. Without primary power, the Triumph has no stabilization capability meaning that the ship is constantly in motion. That means any boats loading or unloading have to hit a moving target. The same problem prevents the elation from getting too close, otherwise theoretically a power couple could be have been established via the shore power systems. That said, it is unlikely the Elation power grid could handle the demand and if it is in fact the grid on the Triumph that failed, there would be no way to distribute it.

Third.A - Without power to fully operate ballast systems, the ship may in fact list as their options to control the distribution of weight are more limited, which may result in a scary but non-threatening list. However in calm seas that should not be an actual safety issue and can be addressed by slowly shifting weight.

Fourth, scary that it is probable that Carnival has procedures for this in place now, its going to be a very uncomfortable 3 days unless they can get partial power restored. Anyone who says they would rather be on this ship for the 'adventure' have never lived in those situations without pre-planning for them. There are severe dietary, medical, mobility and possibly stress related issues to deal with. And the crew have it even worse as they have to try to keep things running as much as possible with even worse living conditions. A few people on board may be able to 'make an adventure out of it', but the rest will be generally miserable.

Passports are not an issue, the pax can be transfered by 'bonded' bus to the airport, they will not even go through Mexican customs. This is how they board Ensenada cruises, also done in Vancouver.

thank you. but they still have to fly so are they flying all separately now on bonded flights, lol?

Coast Guard is generally responsible for ship safety inspections. NTSB investigates marine accidents. Don't know if this incident would qualify for an NTSB investigation, but it might. Also, since the ship is registered in the Bahamas there may be a Bahamian agency that will want in on any investigation.

To my understanding, its out of NTSB jurisdiction due to the ship being registered in Panama/Bahamas and the incident happening in international waters. I believe that was the case with the Splendor as well. I believe the NTSB can only be "invited" into the investigation.

Feb sailings gone? Wow....wonder if that means a quick dry dock is planned' date=' which at this point I think is a good idea....and if so, what usually happens to those booked during that time?:eek:[/quote']

Doubt a “dry dock” but you can almost guarantee an extended docking. Before they can cruise again, they first have to access what happened, fix that, repair all the damaged items, and recharge the fire suppression system. Replacing/recharging the fire suppression tanks is not like changing a propane tank. We're talking weeks.

Many people misuse the word "dry dock." Since dry dock means putting it into a dry dock and lifting it out of the water, they'll only dry dock if they need to fix anything under the waterline. Since it was an engine room fire and not a damaged prop, damaged pod, hull puncture, etc. they won't have to lift it out of the water. This is coming from years of experience as an engineer in the shipping industry.

I have a coworker, also and engineer in designing ships for 10+ years, that's on the Elation. It's his first cruise on Carnival and since they said the Elation docked next to the Triumph to give supplies, I can't wait to hear his stories.

I wonder how many people freezing in the dark in the northeast would trade for a spot on a well stocked drifting cruise ship. Current temperature in Progreso is 81 degrees. :cool:

There are very few people still without power at this point. Even in hard hit CT, the latest numbers are less than 1000 customers still without power. My sister is one of them, it happens regularly in her neck of the woods--that's why they have a wood stove and flash lights. They're quite comfortable for a couple of days without electricity.

I don't think thats the point. Those are US cities the airport CAN serve. Houston being the likely candidate that Carnival flies them back to, unless other arrangements are made.

If they can get to any of the major hubs they can serve pretty much every city in the country. Just stating the obvious.

Don't have the facts in front of me but I believe Carnival has the largest number of ships in the cruise industry. Also their average age is the oldest. Large quantity and average quality = more potential for problems.

Not an acceptable excuse for having safety problems but a contributing factor that is making it hard for them to keep their name out of bad news.

Archived