"Signature Preferred" Boarding Pass

celle

I just printed our cruise documents, including the Signature Preferred Boarding Passes.

There is nowhere for us to sign, so how can they be "signature preferred"? Is that what happens now?

There is also nothing about the credit card to be used and nowhere to request that our credit card company does the conversion from US dollars to our local currency, rather than HAL doing it. So, where do we request that now?

The documentation seems to have changed since our last cruise with HAL.

"Signature of Excellence" is a marketing term HAL uses, and the two newest ships are called the "Signature Class", so the Signature Boarding Pass is just a carry-over of the term and has nothing to do with signing it. You may be asked to show it at port or terminal security checkpoints, and may, in rare circumstances, be asked for it at the check-in desk.

I don't know the answer to you credit card question, but my guess would be that HAL would leave the currency conversion up to your c.c. company.

"Signature of Excellence" is a marketing term HAL uses, and the two newest ships are called the "Signature Class", so the Signature Boarding Pass is just a carry-over of the term and has nothing to do with signing it. You may be asked to show it at port or terminal security checkpoints, and may, in rare circumstances, be asked for it at the check-in desk.

I don't know the answer to you credit card question, but my guess would be that HAL would leave the currency conversion up to your c.c. company.

Thank you. I understand about Signature class, but this boarding pass is called "Signature Preferred". To me, that implies that HAL would prefer to have our signatures. Also, when I cruised on Eurodam 2 years ago, we did have to sign the boarding passes.

Volendam, on which we are sailing, is Rotterdam Class - so "Rotterdam Preferred Boarding Pass" would seem more appropriate, if your explanation made sense to me.

Some cruise lines (RCI, Celebrity) with whom I have also cruised, will convert on-board charges from $US to our currency (and not at a favourable rate to us!) before billing them to our credit card, unless we expressly sign for them not to do this. That is why I asked that question.

Thank you. I understand about Signature class, but this boarding pass is called "Signature Preferred". To me, that implies that HAL would prefer to have our signatures. Also, when I cruised on Eurodam 2 years ago, we did have to sign the boarding passes.
Just another example of HAL's often-confusing terminology.

Maybe your signature was required because you are from NZ/UK. I have never signed a boarding pass for any HAL ship.

You can register your credit card on line in advance or at check in. If you have a question or request as to monetary conversion, why not wait until at the dock and you can handle it with the person who checks you in. They have forms, (short and fast to complete), on which you can indicate your credit card and who is authorized to charge to that card.

That Signature Preferred Boarding Pass won't get you any further than the check in desk at the pier! There they check your passport, take your picture and issue you a cabin/room key card. That card is what you need to actually board the ship. Everything else is marketing hyperbole.

That Signature Preferred Boarding Pass won't get you any further than the check in desk at the pier! There they check your passport, take your picture and issue you a cabin/room key card. That card is what you need to actually board the ship. Everything else is marketing hyperbole.

Thank you, everyone, for your input.

I'll just put it down to HAL's confusing terminology, as someone suggested!

I'm not a total newbie to cruising (see my footer) and I am already a 2-star Mariner on HAL. I did realise I could not just waltz on to the ship with this "Signature Preferred Boarding Pass".

I accept that most of you have never had to sign your "Boarding Passes". You do with some other cruise lines. This time, my "Boarding Pass" looks quite different from my previous one with HAL - it's printed in Landscape orientation (the other one was Portrait) and the colours are different.

We've already entered our credit card details etc.

Thanks, all! :)

Wishing you a fabulous cruise on the Volendam.

Hope you will report on the cruise when you return.

Thank you. It's a very interesting itinerary and we do enjoy long cruises and lots of sea days. We're really looking forward to it.

Have to agree with others -- never have we had to sign the Boarding Pass since HAL started to have us print out our own documents -- which has been several years. I only print out the first page of the documents.

Did you remember to print out your luggage tags?

Have a great cruise.

No. I haven't printed those yet. We've booked a guarantee and I am waiting to see if we get a cabin assignment before we leave home. If we don't, yes, I'll print the tags without a cabin number.

No. I haven't printed those yet. We've booked a guarantee and I am waiting to see if we get a cabin assignment before we leave home. If we don't, yes, I'll print the tags without a cabin number.
I suggest that you print them with or without the cabin # a few days before you're due to leave, just in case there's computer or network trouble on either end on the last possible day.

I just printed our cruise documents, including the Signature Preferred Boarding Passes.

There is nowhere for us to sign, so how can they be "signature preferred"? Is that what happens now? (just print and bring with you)

There is also nothing about the credit card to be used and nowhere to request that our credit card company does the conversion from US dollars to our local currency, rather than HAL doing it. So, where do we request that now? (This is between you and your credit card company)

The documentation seems to have changed since our last cruise with HAL.

(Bring your ID and your passport, if you have one)

(Bring your ID and your passport, if you have one)
The OP is sailing from Kobe, Japan to Vancouver, Canada. Do you have experience with that itinerary? Their passport will be a requirement, not a "suggestion". :rolleyes: While most of us will also have our drivers license with us when cruising, a passport alone is enough of an ID.

I've never had to sign my boarding pass. I've been sailing with HAL since 1984. HAL charges in USD and the cc company does the conversion.

We are charged in US dollars and the conversion to Canadian is done by the credit card company.

The OP is sailing from Kobe, Japan to Vancouver, Canada. Do you have experience with that itinerary? Their passport will be a requirement, not a "suggestion". :rolleyes: While most of us will also have our drivers license with us when cruising, a passport alone is enough of an ID.

Not only that! I'm the OP and my nationality (depending on where I am going) is either NZ or UK. Unlike US citizens, we always need to take our passports.

In addition, the passport has to have a visa for China in it, as the cruise company does not get those for us.

I also have an ESTA for arrival into the USA.

That's all taken care of.

As well as HAL, we have cruised with RCI and Celebrity and we have had to sign our cruise documents for both those lines. I guess that's why I expected to sign the Boarding Pass for HAL.

Both those lines also require instructions about the conversion of on-board charges to our local currency. I'm pleased to hear that HAL does leave the conversion to the credit card company. That's what we request for the other cruise lines.

We enjoy cruises on all the lines we have used. We tend to cruise mainly for the itinerary and that is why we have used several companies.

Thank you everyone, for your input.

Not only that! I'm the OP and my nationality (depending on where I am going) is either NZ or UK. Unlike US citizens, we always need to take our passports.
I had noticed your locations but decided not to mention that as no matter the nationality, ALL passengers on your cruise would be required to have passports. I just thought it odd that someone would post "My experience is..." when given the unusual itinerary most posters don't have that experience and the "experience" was unquestionably incorrect for your cruise.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and that the cherry blossoms are in full bloom. :D

I had noticed your locations but decided not to mention that as no matter the nationality, ALL passengers on your cruise would be required to have passports. I just thought it odd that someone would post "My experience is..." when given the unusual itinerary most posters don't have that experience and the "experience" was unquestionably incorrect for your cruise.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and that the cherry blossoms are in full bloom. :D

Thank you.

I guess they were all just trying to be helpful. :)

Archived