5 Star Mariner Benefits

Mekka

I was happy to see the new recognition level for 5 star Mariners, although I am underwhelmed with the benefits. It would have been nice if they were more generous, but I'll take anything we can get. We're on track to get there in late 2014, so at least we've got something to look forward to.

I did find one thing confusing. The free cooking class and day in the thermal suite are explicity described as one per cruise. This strikes me a bit odd--- you get the same thing whether it's a 7 day Mexico cruise or a 60 day+ Grand Voyage. That seems to shortchange people on longer trips.

I was also unclear about the "2 free dinners at the Pinnacle". Is that a one time benefit or is it per cruise? If it's per cruise, I have the same reaction as above in terms of shortchanging longer trips. If it's a once and for all benefit, that's pretty meager for 500 days of sailing. Has anyone determined exactly how this works?

Thank You.

I didn't ask for more, but was given exactly what my 5* status qualifies me for on my recent Veendam cruise. The cruise was 20 days.

I had two free dinners in the Pinnacle, and was charged for the third. I only asked for one spa visit, and I was given the discount on my first Internet package, but not the second.

I didn't go to a cooking class.

I understand what you are saying about the length of the cruise should make a difference in what you qualify for, as a sliding scale would be nice. But I am thrilled that there are ny benefits at all, since I cruise for the cruise. Mariner benefits are a bonus.

Thanks Ruth-- do you expect 2 more Pinnacle dinners on your next cruise or have you used them up? Unlike the thermal suite & cooking class, HAL doesn't say you get those dinners per cruise.

I certainly do! I expect the two dinners in Pinnacle each and every cruise I sail. If I don't get them, there will be a discussion about it.

Now, on my next Collectors' cruise I doubt that I will get 4 dinners, but it's like you said: no sliding scale based on length of cruise.

I was happy to see the new recognition level for 5 star Mariners, although I am underwhelmed with the benefits. It would have been nice if they were more generous, but I'll take anything we can get. We're on track to get there in late 2014, so at least we've got something to look forward to.

I did find one thing confusing. The free cooking class and day in the thermal suite are explicity described as one per cruise. This strikes me a bit odd--- you get the same thing whether it's a 7 day Mexico cruise or a 60 day+ Grand Voyage. That seems to shortchange people on longer trips.

I was also unclear about the "2 free dinners at the Pinnacle". Is that a one time benefit or is it per cruise? If it's per cruise, I have the same reaction as above in terms of shortchanging longer trips. If it's a once and for all benefit, that's pretty meager for 500 days of sailing. Has anyone determined exactly how this works?

Thank You.

Suggest you go to hollandamerica.com, look under Mariner Society and read about the 5 levels and what they encompass.

Under 5 star it says specifically, for example, that the spa, cooking class are one time per cruise.

Also remember you get all the 4 star rewards, like the50% discount on Exploration's Cafe,mini bar, Pinnacle (after the 2 free), free laundry, etc.

All in all it is quite a nice array of reward!

Anybody got their pins?

NO!!! But we are waiting as patiently as we can! Really interesting in receiving ours, but would settle for a photo!

A bit surprised that the USA people haven't reported receiving theirs yet, as I believe the mailing was said to be by the beginning of February.

Maybe soon!

Anybody got their pins?

NO!!! But we are waiting as patiently as we can! Really interesting in receiving ours, but would settle for a photo!

A bit surprised that the USA people haven't reported receiving theirs yet, as I believe the mailing was said to be by the beginning of February.

Maybe soon!

Haven't gotten our 5 star pins yet. And 1/2 of the month has gone by.

The only items we will use as 5 star Mariners are the free Pinnacle dinners.

But I have a feeling that is going to be a problem as there is always the possibility that the Pinnacel could be sold out by the time we get on the ship.

KK: that is what I was wondering! I doubt that many cruises sell out the Pinnacle before sailing, so onto the ship and up to the Pinnacle straight away to make reservations!

Seeing we didn't expect to receive anything extra, we are happy with the free Pinnacle and discount off Internet minutes. I don't care so much about the cooking lesson or the spa but I am sure there are others who will enjoy it.

I think it was great of HAL to give us these added benefits and we're appreciative.

KK: that is what I was wondering! I doubt that many cruises sell out the Pinnacle before sailing, so onto the ship and up to the Pinnacle straight away to make reservations!

One time I forget to make reservations for the Pinnacle -- we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam. So when we got on the ship, we went directly to the Pinnacle -- all sold out for the week.

We were lucky to have the Tamarind to fall back on.

Ok, in regards to the Pinnacle - dumb question - why not book it on line and get the refund as obc? (similar to what 3 and 4* mariners do). I know you would be paying in advance, but one can always use a smidge of obc, no? Wish I had your dilemma - we have some time to go before we will be 5*:eek:

Ok, in regards to the Pinnacle - dumb question - why not book it on line and get the refund as obc? (similar to what 3 and 4* mariners do). I know you would be paying in advance, but one can always use a smidge of obc, no? Wish I had your dilemma - we have some time to go before we will be 5*:eek:

I have thought about that -- but on one cruise we already have $1200 in shipboard credit and I know we won't use all that. Plus we will get back money from the 4 Pinnacles and Le Cirque that we have already booked.

I have thought about that -- but on one cruise we already have $1200 in shipboard credit and I know we won't use all that. Plus we will get back money from the 4 Pinnacles and Le Cirque that we have already booked.

KK, I'll be happy to take some of the shipboard credit off your hands:D;):D.

Ok, in regards to the Pinnacle - dumb question - why not book it on line and get the refund as obc? (similar to what 3 and 4* mariners do).

Why not, indeed. Works for me. If I thought I might get too much credit back to use, then I could treat a friend to dinner.

Why not, indeed. Works for me. If I thought I might get too much credit back to use, then I could treat a friend to dinner.
I'm available! :D And - I'm not even expensive at $12.50 for dinner or $7.50(??) at lunch in the PG.

In reality, when I didn't spend all my OBC one cruise I was one of those people paged to the Front Desk the last morning. I was given the $30 or so back in cash. I've read here that some who have larger amounts due them get it back as a credit to their credit card.

I'm available! :D And - I'm not even expensive at $12.50 for dinner or $7.50(??) at lunch in the PG.

In reality, when I didn't spend all my OBC one cruise I was one of those people paged to the Front Desk the last morning. I was given the $30 or so back in cash. I've read here that some who have larger amounts due them get it back as a credit to their credit card.

If only HAL would call us down before 8:15 to get our monies back -- but on most ships that we have been on they never seem to call anyone until around that time and that is when I have to be wherever the wheelchair people are to meet.

Archived