What About the Kids?

yogimax

One item from the Triumph fiasco I have not seen reported regards the kids.

I can't imagine having an infant or a 3 year old, 6 year old or ten year old on that cruise.

How were the children treated? Did Camp Carnival do anything for them? Did they have to poop in plastic and eat cucumber sandwiches?

I ask because I haven't seen one news item or post regarding the children.

I'm imagining having my son with Down Syndrome on this cruise at various ages...my conclusion is that he would be treated as well as anyone else. I would put him first as usual and under any circumstance and make sure he was as comfortable as possible. Other than that, what can you do? Camp Carnival? No, he would be with me.

There were a number of passengers traveling with children interviewed as they got off. You might check the archives of the likes of CNN, FOX News, MSNBC, etc.

One story was by a mother who had potty trained her young son in anticipation of the cruise. Of course the poor guy had a great deal of difficulty understanding why all of a sudden the rules had changed and he was not supposed to use the toilet.

On one level it's an amusing anecdote. But I really sympathize with these parents, the next couple of months will likely pose some challenges in this area.

If I have been on the cruise, and I was not, and the toilet was not working, why wouldn't you, NOT use the toilet, then place the plastic bag in/around the toilet bowl, put the seat down, and have the child use the bathroom, after, pick up the seat, tie the bag and place in the hall in the container?

I would not imagine people placing the bag on the floor and squating over it, or holding it to their butt and trying to poop in that way,

So if you had just trained the child, it would not be much different than the training seat he had just used, except the bag is red and the trainer probably had a bowl that needed dumped and changed.

There were a number of passengers traveling with children interviewed as they got off. You might check the archives of the likes of CNN, FOX News, MSNBC, etc.

One story was by a mother who had potty trained her young son in anticipation of the cruise. Of course the poor guy had a great deal of difficulty understanding why all of a sudden the rules had changed and he was not supposed to use the toilet.

On one level it's an amusing anecdote. But I really sympathize with these parents, the next couple of months will likely pose some challenges in this area.

If I have been on the cruise, and I was not, and the toilet was not working, why wouldn't you, NOT use the toilet, then place the plastic bag in/around the toilet bowl, put the seat down, and have the child use the bathroom, after, pick up the seat, tie the bag and place in the hall in the container?

I would not imagine people placing the bag on the floor and squating over it, or holding it to their butt and trying to poop in that way,

So if you had just trained the child, it would not be much different than the training seat he had just used, except the bag is red and the trainer probably had a bowl that needed dumped and changed.

Regardless of the reason, the passenger did not see this as an option. Perhaps because that procedure was not in the instructions for using the bags.

But your thought was my first reaction. Upon reflection I can understand perhaps why not. Apparently initally there was no water to wash out the toilet bowl, so it would have be unsanitized. This would have meant that the outside of the red bag might collect some unsavory bugs. Now the solution to that would be to place the used red bag in another red bag. But from what I understand, the supply of these bags was not unlimited.

There may also have been a concern that the bag would slip into the bowl and lead to clogging the drain.

This option may have not worked either. The toilets may have already been full from people using them where they couldn't flush.

The bigger concern is the shortage of baby formula and diapers. Most people pack a supply to last the length of the cruise with extra for travel days. However, the delayed return had PAX begging to trade for things they needed.

The gloom and doom and misinformation by the media is grossly overblown. There was never a problem with enough, and varied, food and water. As far as the kids go, I saw several groups of them with Camp Carnival staff on the Lido deck participating in activities. Yes, it was uncomfortable at times due to lack of electricity, etc. but maybe the kids on board learned a valuable lesson they can carry into life. Perhaps they observed the elderly people who were making the best of it, perhaps their parents taught them to stay clean, and keep the area around them tidy and sanitary. Maybe they observed the man carrying his grown handicapped son up the stairs on his back as their was no elevators for his wheel chair and saw what it was like to be a real man. I hope the children observed how difficult it was for many of the grossly overweight passengers to climb the stairs and decided to stay in shape for the rest of their life. Hopefully, the children learned some life lessons that the 90% of the passengers demonstrated and not the 10% of those who had no idea how to cope in an emergency situation.

The gloom and doom and misinformation by the media is grossly overblown. There was never a problem with enough, and varied, food and water. As far as the kids go, I saw several groups of them with Camp Carnival staff on the Lido deck participating in activities. Yes, it was uncomfortable at times due to lack of electricity, etc. but maybe the kids on board learned a valuable lesson they can carry into life. Perhaps they observed the elderly people who were making the best of it, perhaps their parents taught them to stay clean, and keep the area around them tidy and sanitary. Maybe they observed the man carrying his grown handicapped son up the stairs on his back as their was no elevators for his wheel chair and saw what it was like to be a real man. I hope the children observed how difficult it was for many of the grossly overweight passengers to climb the stairs and decided to stay in shape for the rest of their life. Hopefully, the children learned some life lessons that the 90% of the passengers demonstrated and not the 10% of those who had no idea how to cope in an emergency situation.

I wish everybody could read this post. I wasn't on board but I was certainly wondering if things were really "as bad" as the media portrayed. I've also traveled a bit and have dealt with less-than-ideal conditions, so maybe my tolerance is pretty high.

I wasn't concerned about the kids, or any able bodied adult. My concerns were with infants (or their parents), the elderly and the infirm. Children take their cues from adults. And there are times the adults should take their cues from the kids. If it can't be an all fun-and-games vacation, it could certainly be a great life lesson.

Thank you cowpokes, for for restoring my faith.

Archived