Just Back From Radiance

We too love the Radiance and also booked in Nov. Had a fabulous 18 nights Fremantle to Sydney via NZ in March. Just came off the Rhapsody on a 7 day Tasmania cruise - also a fantastic little cruise with an overnight stop in Hobart. Voyager and Rhapsody doing the same thing again next season. Just wish Radiance would do the same but she is going to Newcastle then Hobart without the overnighter.

Radiance is a great ship & crew. We have also sailed on Rhapsody & loved it also.

Now you have to take a 'real' cruise :) 7 days minimum!

I can recommend Qld cruise, Sth Pacific Islands & NZ.

As you have been on Voyager, Radiance & Rhapsody can you tell me which is your favourite. Can you give me any pros & cons please.

As you have been on Voyager' date=' Radiance & Rhapsody can you tell me which is your favourite. Can you give me any pros & cons please.[/quote']

I have been on all 3 ships with my family and my favourite hands down is Radiance. I am cruising on her again in April and can't wait. She is a great size, had fantastic facilities and although she is smaller than Voyager she is simply a far better ship IMHO.

Hi there!

I have cruised on Legend of the Seas and Voyager and must admit that I prefer the smaller sized ships though the crew were just marvellous on both!

I'm booked on both the Rhapsody and Radiance later this year and have had conflicting personal "likes" from many former passengers. It will be great to have the opportunity to make up my own mind!

I just LOVE being spoilt with no washing, cooking, cleaning to be done for a couple of weeks so I'm sure I'll enjoy both cruises! :D

Happy sailing everyone!

What an enjoyable short cruise it was on the Radiance to Newcastle and Brisbane. All the crew went out of their way to make it a memorable one for all the passengers. I loved every minute of it. Can't wait to do it all again!!!!

Welcome back.... I have also just booked this cruise in Nov and can't wait to get back on Radiance (even though it's only 5 days). We were on the Radiance New Year cruise last month and loved it. In Nov I am just taking my Mum for a lovely few days away.

Can you tell me what you did in Newcastle and Brisbane that you can recommend. I was thinking of a half day Hunter Valley winery tour from Newcastle.

I agree! Radiance is our favourite of the 3. Reasons -

Rhapsody, older technology doesn't handle the seas as well as the other 2, but it does still go well and is a good ship.

Voyager, we were not keen on the inside promenade and preferred the views of the ocean you get from so many places on Radiance, that is very much individual preference though, and the atmosphere was not as good in our opinion. Still nice staff, but there is a lot of funny smells around on different decks, and particularly we noticed a few times in our own room. We think it comes through the air conditioning as some cabins across from us had plumbing issues.

So Radiance - good size, good atmosphere, good sized public spaces and lots of views of the seas.

As you have been on Voyager' date=' Radiance & Rhapsody can you tell me which is your favourite. Can you give me any pros & cons please.[/quote']

I've also sailed all three. For me (and our group), Voyager was the best.

Rhapsody - the most limited in facilities of all three, being the smallest and oldest. Still fine to travel on if the opportunity was otherwise best but out of the three, has the least.

Radiance, just didn't like the dark enclosed atrium, tiny library and other facilities. Seemed to be trying to do too much in too small a space so everything was compromised.

Voyager, biggest, and best space for all the facilities. Promenade was a great hub for things and nothing felt tight. Best dining room, theatre, and separate cinema, plus most things Radiance has. Also has ice skating rink, roller skating rink. Plus service was the best I've had from all three. The only 'con' compared to Radiance was Radiance currently has more speciality restaurants - but see my comment about trying to pack more in for the sake of it.

As you can see, everyone has different prefs though, so it doesn't necessarily mean that you'll have the same experience and opinion as anyone else - basically don't go just for the ship.

I agree! Radiance is our favourite of the 3. Reasons -

Rhapsody, older technology doesn't handle the seas as well as the other 2, but it does still go well and is a good ship.

Voyager, we were not keen on the inside promenade and preferred the views of the ocean you get from so many places on Radiance, that is very much individual preference though, and the atmosphere was not as good in our opinion. Still nice staff, but there is a lot of funny smells around on different decks, and particularly we noticed a few times in our own room. We think it comes through the air conditioning as some cabins across from us had plumbing issues.

So Radiance - good size, good atmosphere, good sized public spaces and lots of views of the seas.

Have not yet been on Voyager but agree with your comments re Radiance and Rhapsody. On Rhapsody we had an aft JS on deck 8 and would have hated to have been in a D1 on deck 7 as the nightly crew parties at the rear of deck 5 were pretty loud with the bump music. Rhapsody also has a slight but constant vibration through the ship and is particularly noticeable in the aft cabins.

We also found that the new Centrum area is now the main entertainment area and the speakers do blast the sound out. So if you wanted to have a quiet drink or discussion with friends at the R-Bar or on the other levels, this was often drowned out by the entertainment. The sound from the Centrum on Radiance is much less invasive.

Rhapsody is a smaller ship and has a very happy and long serving crew. The ship has "older' conventional technology is so far that she has props rather than the Azipods that Radiance has and yes Radiance IMO is a better sea boat. But having said all that, the Rhapsody is still a fine ship and we would gladly sail on her again, in fact we found some things better such as the Auditorium was much nicer on Rhapsody and the food form the speciality restaurants was just yum.

Welcome back.... I have also just booked this cruise in Nov and can't wait to get back on Radiance (even though it's only 5 days). We were on the Radiance New Year cruise last month and loved it. In Nov I am just taking my Mum for a lovely few days away.

Can you tell me what you did in Newcastle and Brisbane that you can recommend. I was thinking of a half day Hunter Valley winery tour from Newcastle.

I caught the complimentary bus service from the pier to Newcastle city centre (Queens wharf). I walked up to Nobbys Beach before catching the free government bus for a 30 minute tour of the surrounding suburbs of Newcastle. Then I bought some supplies (my girlfriend forgot to bring her toothbrush!!!!) from the nearby convenience store before catching the bus back to the ship. I spent the rest of the day relaxing on board the ship.

I did a 4 hour tour of Brisbane. Shame about the weather. The tour started at 10:30am and took us to Mt Coot-tha for a panoramic view of Brisbane. We also drove past the main attractions in the CBD before going back to the ship, which was docked about 25 kms away from the CBD. You can also board a shuttle bus to and from the city and the ship. Cost is $12.

Rhapsody also has a slight but constant vibration through the ship and is particularly noticeable in the aft cabins.

We also found that the new Centrum area is now the main entertainment area and the speakers do blast the sound out.

I didn't mention the vibration on Rhapsody as I thought they had fixed that on the upgrade/refit? We were of the understanding that it was one of the propellers that needed fixing? There was so much nice sitting area around the Centrum on different decks, disappointing that it has become noisy.

I didn't mention the vibration on Rhapsody as I thought they had fixed that on the upgrade/refit? We were of the understanding that it was one of the propellers that needed fixing? There was so much nice sitting area around the Centrum on different decks, disappointing that it has become noisy.

The vibration is worse at certain speeds and sea conditions as if the engine revolutions are different - also noticeable in the prop wash. Crew don't like the new look centrum. The Captains welcome was held there as well on the first formal night.

Probably not to well known by the "general public" but the Radiance is rated as the third best/most popular ship in the Royal Caribbean fleet of twenty one. This rating is derived from all the guest surveys that are done by all guests on all RCI cruises. Pretty impressive considering what she is competing against.

I caught the complimentary bus service from the pier to Newcastle city centre (Queens wharf). I walked up to Nobbys Beach before catching the free government bus for a 30 minute tour of the surrounding suburbs of Newcastle. Then I bought some supplies (my girlfriend forgot to bring her toothbrush!!!!) from the nearby convenience store before catching the bus back to the ship. I spent the rest of the day relaxing on board the ship.

I did a 4 hour tour of Brisbane. Shame about the weather. The tour started at 10:30am and took us to Mt Coot-tha for a panoramic view of Brisbane. We also drove past the main attractions in the CBD before going back to the ship, which was docked about 25 kms away from the CBD. You can also board a shuttle bus to and from the city and the ship. Cost is $12.

Thanks for the reply, sounds like there is plenty to do if you want it.

Radiance has a good following amongst those that cruise Royal.

We sailed on her last year & Voyager a few weeks ago, although we enjoyed both ships we felt Radiance had the edge in lots of little ways, somehow a little less glitz in the decor, plus the natural light everywhere with those beautiful glass walls.

Also preferred her windjammer set up, food islands rather than rows & the lovely aft outdoor seating area.

We actually felt there seemed to be more space on Radiance than Voyager in regards to crowding at certain venues, like the WJ, Schooner Bar etc, possibly due to the layout.

The Colony Club on Radiance is also a favourite as it has beautiful aft views, whereas the equivalent sized venue - Cleopatra's Needle on Voyager - although nice has a more enclosed feeling & also was a little more Hollywood than elegant we felt.

Park cafe food on Radiance was better than Promenade cafe on Voyager we think, but we found the WJ & MDR offerings the same on both ships.

Service was the same on both as well.

We felt quite confident in booking to sail on Radiance for 3 cruises later this year, 2 are back to backs so we will be onboard for 27 days straight from Vancouver via Hawaii, Tahiti & NZ all the way back to Sydney, this is after 7 days sailing Alaska on her 2 weeks prior.:D

But we would happily sail on Voyager again, especially after her refurb next year.

Haven't been on Rhapsody, but she doesn't appeal to us really as Radiance has more to offer, is larger without being too large & has the glass walls so unique to the Radiance class of ships.

But if she had an itinerary we couldn't resist then we wouldn't rule it out.

Probably not to well known by the "general public" but the Radiance is rated as the third best/most popular ship in the Royal Caribbean fleet of twenty one. This rating is derived from all the guest surveys that are done by all guests on all RCI cruises. Pretty impressive considering what she is competing against.

Hey Graham,

I asked if you were working when we sailed on Voyager a few weeks back but they said no, sorry I missed saying hi.

But congrats to the staff at the OPT, great job checking us in, really fast & onboard before 11.30am.:)

Hey Graham,

I asked if you were working when we sailed on Voyager a few weeks back but they said no, sorry I missed saying hi.

But congrats to the staff at the OPT, great job checking us in, really fast & onboard before 11.30am.:)

Thanks for that, yes the check in process for Voyager is now going exceptionally well now that everybody seems to be adhering to the staggered check in times, the lines seem to be getting shorter and shorter.

Don,t know who you asked, but I was there, I work every turnaround and there are a lot of "new" people who work the Voyager (and Solstice) turnarounds and they probably were not aware of just who I am:D:D:D

Say hello next time maybe.

Thanks for that, yes the check in process for Voyager is now going exceptionally well now that everybody seems to be adhering to the staggered check in times, the lines seem to be getting shorter and shorter.

Don,t know who you asked, but I was there, I work every turnaround and there are a lot of "new" people who work the Voyager (and Solstice) turnarounds and they probably were not aware of just who I am:D:D:D

Say hello next time maybe.

Oh that's a shame. I can't recall who I asked.

Don't they teach the newbies that you're famous in cyberspace! :D

We did have a new trainee checking us in but it wasn't her that I asked.

Only negative thing I should mention that came to mind is that we didn't get given any C&A WOW vouchers & forgot to ask for them.

You can't get them onboard unfortunately so we couldn't reward those extra special crew members apart from higher tips.

But another good thing I recall about the disembarking ( we did self assist ), was that a customs officer asked us before we left the ship if we had anything to declare, we did & he asked a few more questions then stamped our customs forms, which meant when we got down into the terminal they just waived us straight through.

Not sure if this is to do with your company arranging this process or not- but it was very speedy!

Next cruise we are flying to Alaska to board, then getting back on again in Vancouver a week or so later for the B2B via Honolulu to Sydney, so unless you're doing some moonlighting in overseas passengers terminals I guess we won't be seeing you in action! :D

Oh We did have a new trainee checking us in but it wasn't her that I asked.

Only negative thing I should mention that came to mind is that we didn't get given any C&A WOW vouchers & forgot to ask for them.

What's a WOW voucher? I haven't gotten one of those before either.

What's a WOW voucher? I haven't gotten one of those before either.

A WOW card is given to the higher level C&A members at check in and are used to nominate a crew member if he or she delivers over and above the usual and all goes toward them perhaps being nominated for crew member of the month etc.and is intended to reward the crew (not the guest). RCI ,s catch phrase is" Deliver the WOW"

We felt quite confident in booking to sail on Radiance for 3 cruises later this year, 2 are back to backs so we will be onboard for 27 days straight from Vancouver via Hawaii, Tahiti & NZ all the way back to Sydney, this is after 7 days sailing Alaska on her 2 weeks prior.:D

Avalon

We have been looking at this too -- but for this year, when she returns to Aussie waters. Family problems will probably preclude it for this year though - so may have to be next. I like killing 2 birds with one stone - we want to do the Alaska cruise (shame they are really only 7 days though - hence the back to back ) and after briefly visiting Honolulu for one day, we would like to see more of the Hawaiian islands

Barry

Archived