What do you need to leave/return to ship at ports?

It really depends on the port. I've been asked for ID many times. We always bring our passports off the ship with us just in case we miss the ship and have to fly home. I'm not one to take chances. Others swear it's bad to do that.

The sea pass is all you need to get back on the ship, but some ports require photo ID / passports to get through the pier once off and going back on the ship. One option would be to leave a photo copy of your passport / other ID in the room safe with the ID numbers, etc., written down and take your passports / ID with you. Keep in mind that if for any reason you need to fly home from a given port, you will need your passport (in most cases) to board the flight.

Another safeguard is to take the ship's port agent phone number with you (listed in the cruise compass or available with guest services) so that you have a contact point with the ship should there be any problem or delay in port with returning on time to the ship.

Each day's compass will tell you exactly what is needed to get back on the ship. In most places it is a picture ID along with your seapass to get back on the ship. A drivers license can suffice as the picture ID. To get off all you need is your seapass.

We assess what we are doing, how far from the port, etc, then decide on whether it is the license or passport that goes along with us.

Hi! I seriously cannot remember and someone was asking me. I have a passport but I don't think I bring it with me. I do bring my seapass card though. I have family that only have a bc and photo id. Do they have to bring those with them off the ship?

Seapass and photo ID is usually all that is necessary. Some ports check photo ID, some don't.

The sea pass is all you need to get back on the ship, but some ports require photo ID / passports to get through the pier once off and going back on the ship. One option would be to leave a photo copy of your passport / other ID in the room safe with the ID numbers, etc., written down and take your passports / ID with you. Keep in mind that if for any reason you need to fly home from a given port, you will need your passport (in most cases) to board the flight.

Another safeguard is to take the ship's port agent phone number with you (listed in the cruise compass or available with guest services) so that you have a contact point with the ship should there be any problem or delay in port with returning on time to the ship.

Very good information! BTW: I have noticed that some of my sea pass cards list the phone number to call in case of emergency on the back of it. That is a great idea also, but not sure why all of them don't have that number? Hopefully this is a new change and they will do all of them like that.

I have heard crew members talking at the gang plank after not being able to wait for tardy passengers any longer. They (or family members) do go into the passenger's safe to try to retrieve their passports to give to the port agents. Perhaps not in all cases, but I have heard them do it a couple of times now.

I'm not super comfortable bringing my passport with me to a beach and leaving it in a bag while I'm in the water and whatnot. I do have my parents that won't be getting off the ship in most of the ports so I can always call them and make sure they give my passport to the person at the terminal if god forbid I couldn't get to the ship on time. So at least my friends with the birth certificates don't have to take them out of the safe. That was the biggest concern. Thanks!

I will never forget the time, after a very long (and very hot) walk to end of pier, my husband realized he forgot his photo ID back in the cabin. A large note posted at the pier gate said that a photo ID was required to return to the ship. I waited while he went back for it and we missed our tour with friends as we didn't want them to wait, and did join up with them later, but it did not make for a very good start to our day.

I will never forget the time, after a very long (and very hot) walk to end of pier, my husband realized he forgot his photo ID back in the cabin. A large note posted at the pier gate said that a photo ID was required to return to the ship. I waited while he went back for it and we missed our tour with friends as we didn't want them to wait, and did join up with them later, but it did not make for a very good start to our day.

No, that does not sound like a good start to the day. :( Bet you were not happy with him! ;)

My DH has done the same, so we simply waited until we returned from our excursion, and then I walked back onto the ship alone to get his ID and bring it back to him.

Now I make sure he has it, or I take it with mine. ;)

I am new to cruising, but a buddy of mine maakes 3 copies of all id, credit cards( front and back ), passport, and paperwork. When boarding, 1 copy in both suitcases and one in his carry on. He also leaves his regular wallet in the safe and carries a backup on him with just his I.D. and one credit card. Is this overkill or good planning? Will a photocopy of your/ passport work in ports, to keep from carrying the book?

I am new to cruising, but a buddy of mine maakes 3 copies of all id, credit cards( front and back ), passport, and paperwork. When boarding, 1 copy in both suitcases and one in his carry on. He also leaves his regular wallet in the safe and carries a backup on him with just his I.D. and one credit card. Is this overkill or good planning? Will a photocopy of your/ passport work in ports, to keep from carrying the book?

It's only overkill if you think it is. I do the same thing but I only make one copy of things. I doubt that a photocopy of your passport would be acceptable, it's too easy to fake. Most ports do accept a passport card instead of the full passport and it's much less hassle than carrying the full passport around.

Photocopies of Passports aren't going to officially be accepted for anything. But they might make an exception.

Personally, I always take my passport. If I lose it heaven forbid, I know I can get back on the ship without it. And I am going to be a lot more comfortable having trouble at immigration at the U.S. port, than trying to get something accomplished in a foreign country without it.

Having said that, we could argue until the end of days and there are people who passionately disagree with this perspective.

HOWEVER, anyone getting off of a ship anywhere without photo ID is just asking for a problem. In fact, I think being on a cruise ship is about the only time outside of my home that I don't think it's irresponsible not to have photo ID on me.

HOWEVER, anyone getting off of a ship anywhere without photo ID is just asking for a problem...

Agreed. Your picture is linked to your SeaPass card but that's only relevant to and accessible by the RCI scanners and computers. It will do you little to no good when asked for photo ID by pier security. :o

Learned this the hard way and had a heckuva time getting through port security in St.Thomas one year. That morning we quickly grabbed our stuff from our cabin and didn't think to have our DL's with us - bad move. We were allowed onboard ship but it certainly was a reminder to always carry photo ID.

I was planning on taking our Sea Pass and driver's license with us. That sounds like it will work, but here's my big question:

What constitutes a photo ID for my toddlers?! They don't have any sort of photo ID besides the passport.

I was planning on taking our Sea Pass and driver's license with us. That sounds like it will work, but here's my big question:

What constitutes a photo ID for my toddlers?! They don't have any sort of photo ID besides the passport.

Photo ID is only required for those 16 and older.

You don't need photo ID for children.

Agreed. Your picture is linked to your SeaPass card but that's only relevant to and accessible by the RCI scanners and computers. It will do you little to no good when asked for photo ID by pier security. :o

Learned this the hard way and had a heckuva time getting through port security in St.Thomas one year. That morning we quickly grabbed our stuff from our cabin and didn't think to have our DL's with us - bad move. We were allowed onboard ship but it certainly was a reminder to always carry photo ID.

So, does this mean that DD11 will need to have her passport off ship, since she does not have any other photo ID or is there some type of exemption for minors?

Hi! I seriously cannot remember and someone was asking me. I have a passport but I don't think I bring it with me. I do bring my seapass card though. I have family that only have a bc and photo id. Do they have to bring those with them off the ship?

Seapass (the key card) - always.

Photo ID - depends on the port. Good advice to always have it on you.

Passports - we carry copies just in case, don't remember them ever needed.

Archived