Single Supplement

SandraLee

What do you pay if you book a single cabin?

Sometimes, it looks like the 'single supplement' is 175% and sometimes I see 200%.

So, with one person, it would be the cruise fare plus taxes and port charges.

Plus, 75% of the cruise fare -- but no taxes and port charges?

Is that right?

Sometimes, it looks like the 'single supplement' is 175% and sometimes I see 200%.

Is that right?

As you noticed, the single supplement varies. I've seen it lower than 150% at times. I've never seen it higher than 200%. In any case, you only pay one set of taxes.

Is that right?

I just booked (last night) a cruise w/ just myself in the cabin... April 24 Explorer out of Bayonne. promenade inside on deck 8. My total was just shy of $1900. I can't remember what the double rate was for the room, but I am pretty sure it was 200%. I only had to pay a $250 deposit though. I had looked into Carnival and they require double deposit and it was 200% of the rate.

I cruise single all the time. depending on cruise, i have paid between 175 200- 200 more often than not this is the time an agent is good, they can get you a better deal, usually than booking directly. Only thing you pay single for is tipping - bit of a rip off, but better than not going!!!

I cannot do an inside room, so always book a balcony.

You really need to take the rate for 2 people, and consider that to be the cost of the cabin, because, it is! Sometimes, there's a slight discount off the 2 person rate, but think of it like a hotel room...most charge the same rate for "up to 2 people"....so 1 person might consider that to be a "single supplement"...but the pricing is simply the price of the room.

It really depends on how desperate they are to fill the ship. I have sailed solo and just paid 110%. Cant list it because of board rules, but there is a website that lists low single supplement rates.

This is a link to the solo cruisers board, where people post single supplement deals.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=37201262#post37201262

If you have 350 cruise points you can book at the 150% single supplement rate. This rate is not good during busy summer months or around Christmas. Otherwise the rates seem to vary between 175 and 200%.

Yes, this "deal" excludes any cruise that includes Christmas or New Years (understandable) and ANY cruise during the months of July and August. Now THIS stinks. Give special rates to seniors, residents of certain states, military, police and firmemen, but SHAFT the teachers. :mad:

And end-of-August cruises are usually NOT fully booked because MOST districts are back in session, so this is NOT their "busy" time.

The general rule in crusing is 200%. You have to find a sale and then sometimes the supplement is reduced. However, you will only pay one set of taxes and fees and one set of tips.

With Royal Caribbean you pay only for person's port charges. That's the part included in the cruise fee.

It can be quiet a lot. Usually more than the taxes are

Always price out a solo room. I've paid anywhere from just 100% to 180% with the majority being 150% or less. Off times are better. Sometimes I've gotten senior rates or residency rates. If you cruise often in an OV or inside, you can get a stockholder OBC if you own stock. There are a lot of variables when cruising solo and you have to work hard sometimes to get the best deal.

I am a solo traveler(most of the time), and a "newbie" to cruising. But since my first time five months ago, I've been on four cruises, two of them single supplement, with a very good rate. To get the best single rate I have found that the following is a must.

1. There are travel agencies that advertise those low supplements, but they go very quick. If you don't act within hours they are gone. You must be willing to spend ample time on the net to find these rates, but worth it.

2. Most of the time it's a last minute deal, you'll probably have to be ready to depart within a week or two.

Now this works for me because I live in Florida & having five departure ports within a few hours drive, it's very convenient. Next I'm not punching anybody's timeclock so I can enjoy that benefit.

Archived