Pre cruise complaint (what's your view)

Arrowdaz

Congratulations on being firm and reasonable!

At the end Royal did the RIGHT thing!

I would have been very disappointed at Royal if they did not honor their original offer! Mistake or not it was the right thing to do to a Loyal to Royal customer!

Good for you. But...I do somewhat wish upon you "minority opinion" folks that some day you'll book a cruise or other vacation based on some promised incentives, only to find the incentives not included, when you get the invoice.

Of course, I'm sure you'll just let it go, without a second thought, but that's OK. :cool:

To me, the difference is that there was still plenty of time to change his mind without any harm done. It's like going to a restaurant and being told that since it's your birthday, you'll get a free 2 pound filet mignon. While waiting to be seated, they tell you that they were mistaken, but they'll throw in a free desert for your trouble. At that point, you can still go to another place, or stay and get a desert that no one else is entitled to. Yeah, it would be nice to get the filet, but I wouldn't expect it.

Now, if no one told me until the bill came, and they tried to charge me, that would be a different situation entirely.

Good for you. But...I do somewhat wish upon you "minority opinion" folks that some day you'll book a cruise or other vacation based on some promised incentives, only to find the incentives not included, when you get the invoice.

Of course, I'm sure you'll just let it go, without a second thought, but that's OK. :cool:

Thank you!

To me, the difference is that there was still plenty of time to change his mind without any harm done. It's like going to a restaurant and being told that since it's your birthday, you'll get a free 2 pound filet mignon. While waiting to be seated, they tell you that they were mistaken, but they'll throw in a free desert for your trouble. At that point, you can still go to another place, or stay and get a desert that no one else is entitled to. Yeah, it would be nice to get the filet, but I wouldn't expect it.

Now, if no one told me until the bill came, and they tried to charge me, that would be a different situation entirely.

Actually, that would kind of tick me off, too. (I'll ignore some of the obvious differences, like comparing a totally free meal to an extra, like drinks package, on a paid-for cruise and the fact that I don't think there's any such thing as a 2-lb filet mignon.;)) If I made reservations to go to a restaurant, based on something they promised me, but they said, "Oh, we can't do that," when I got there, or even a day in advance, I would not be particularly happy with said restaurant. I wouldn't be out anything, and I could choose to either go there anyway or go elsewhere, but they still would be going back on something that had already been agreed upon.

I just think, since there was an offer and an acceptance, they should have honored the offer (and ultimately, they did). Some have argued that it was some kind of too-good-to-be-true thing that he should have known wasn't right, but it's hard to buy that argument, since they are offering free drink packages on many of their transatlantic sailings. So, at least in some cases, it is true.

I'm not saying I'd let these kinds of things ruin my day, but I'd let the establishment know what I felt about it.

Firstly, the 'no harm done' (as you quoted) would definitely have been harm to her wallet in the form of paying extra for drinks - remember, this was after she had paid her non-refundable deposit on the booking - something that doesn't occur in the US (yes, I know that they had offered to change their deposit policy after their mistake - which again points to moving the goal posts!).

Secondly, for those that said 'move on', they are the ones that appear to be having difficulty accepting their own advice :).

Personally, I think it worked out just as it should - well done OP ;). And now I'll move on :).

Well done on the great result! We had an ongoing battle last year regarding incorrect info given by a RCI booking agent. We only managed to sort it after boarding FOTS in Port Canaveral and that was only after an hour of negotiation at Guest Services. I have to say though that we are soon to be Diamond C & A members and have never previously had any reason for complaint.

Will be on AOS ourselves in September.

Have a great cruise and enjoy the drinks.

Regards:)

I am really happy for you OP. You only wanted what was promised to you on booking the cruise. You didn't ask for the drinks package it was offered to you and you booked based on that offer. Anyone with half a brain can see the only outcome of this situation was for RCI to honor their offer. I am delighted they have decided to do that. The cost of the drinks to them is only a fraction of what actually gets charged so for them it's not a lot of money and certainly not worth losing a loyal customer.

I am really pleased for you x

Congratulations I would have taken this all the way too. I believe you had a legally binding verbal contract, especially as they admitted they checked original tapes and that it was their mistake. They probably just expect the customer to back down. We are on TA from FLL in April and they have been offering the free AI package for sometime on balcony and above cabins. We booked last April so unfortunately missed out but paid considerably less so not really free. If we go for AI will cost us $1430 so not exactly little extra. ENJOY

Archived