Pre cruise complaint (what's your view)

Arrowdaz

Assuming AG doesn't offer you more it seems like your choices are:

• Choose one of the cruises you were considering that might have been more appealing that the one you booked without the extras
  • Choose the one you booked with a $200 OBC that isn't available to others booking the same cabin

You're either back to the beginning and no worse off or better off by $200, which will cover quite a few drinks.

$200 for a mistake where no harm was done seems pretty decent to me. An additional $1500 for two drink packages seems excessive to expect for a simple error.

If they acknowledge that they offered it to you, and you accepted based on that offer, I'd continue to press. If, for some reason, they can't offer the drink package, perhaps they can offer increased OBC that would help pay for your drinks as you go.

My thoughts exactly.

Suggest a compromise of $300 OBC.

We booked a cruise because the advertisement on their own web pages promised an upgrade to a balcony stateroom. When we wondered when we can see the upgrade on our reservation they made changes to the add and then replied that this upgrade wasn't available on our cruise. Luckily we had saved screenshot of the original add. They had no other option than to give us what was promised. But we were really disappointed at their attempt to fool us...

Sometimes what you see on the website leaves you wondering. I think much of their, and other lines, issues are more poor programming than an intent to "fool" us. I have also seen where they had fares for a 7 day cruise set for thousands of dollars more than a typical fare. After a couple days, and I'm sure some concerned calls from customers, they made the corrections.

For you they honored the add and that's what they would do. I do find it hard to believe that there is a conspiracy to intentionally deceive us. They are subject to human error just like any other business.

In contrast, I wonder how many justice seeking posters here would notify the cruise lines if the agent had mistakenly entered their cruise fares several hundreds less than was posted?:rolleyes: Ethics can be interesting

to be 100% homest on this one

i work ina team that deal with director and exectuive level complaints for a very large media company within the uk

and in my presonal and professional experience

although this is clearly a mistake and a missel by the agent the agent you spoke with

if you came in to our office and dealt with myself or someone in our team within our company we would generally be inclined to "honour the agrrement that they have recordings of being made" on a ONE OFF no strings basis as a goodwill gesture :)

as although yes legally we could get away with sorry it was a mistake, publicity wise its better to bite the bullet

Honestly, I think you're being unreasonable. You booked a cruise that is almost nine months away, and within 48 hours of booking, they told you they were mistaken with what is a portion of a very large package. They have offered you what they were correctly intending to, and they have given you the option of a complete cancellation. Those are two perfectly reasonable options.

I have trouble believing that this is some sort of bait & switch, but rather it is an innocent (and minor) mistake.

Seriously, two months ago, drink packages didn't even exist on most sailing, much less free packages. Can you honestly tell me that this little extra is what tipped the scales in favor of you taking a long transatlantic trip? And if the answer is "yes", then good news. You can cancel the whole thing no harm, no foul.

No, I think this sounds like the overzealous version of the customer is always right. Let it go.

Hi guys,

It's not good news unfortunately.

The customer resolutions department have confirmed to me on the phone that their decision is final, and apparently the decision has come direct from Lois Charters, Head of Customer Relations and RCCL UK.

They are saying that they are in their legal rights to offer me a full refund and cancel my booking.

This is disappointing news to say the least and we still haven't made a decision as to wether or not to cancel this trip or just go with it, this has just left a sour taste in my mouth if that makes sense.

I suppose i could write to Adam Goldstein as some of you previously said, but is it really worth it? Will I even get a reply?

Im sorry to hear it's worked out like this, I for one think if they offered you this at time of booking then they should honour it. I had this kind of issue with OBC before which wasn't noted on our invoice and I had to get an amended invoice showing that we actually did have it.

If RCI is offering you a full refund then i'd maybe take it and wait to see if other offers come on and also look at other travel agencies as they occasionally put offers of free drinks packages on?

The customer resolutions department have confirmed to me on the phone that their decision is final, and apparently the decision has come direct from Lois Charters, Head of Customer Relations and RCCL UK.

They are saying that they are in their legal rights to offer me a full refund and cancel my booking.

This is disappointing news to say the least and we still haven't made a decision as to wether or not to cancel this trip or just go with it, this has just left a sour taste in my mouth if that makes sense.

In the US, I'd definitely be inclined to let it go and accept their $200 OBC offer. Or cancel if you're annoyed with them. Not sure about what you can expect from UK consumer protection laws, but getting a "specific performance" order from a judge when they hold the tape, sounds problematic.

Sometimes what you see on the website leaves you wondering. I think much of their, and other lines, issues are more poor programming than an intent to "fool" us. I have also seen where they had fares for a 7 day cruise set for thousands of dollars more than a typical fare. After a couple days, and I'm sure some concerned calls from customers, they made the corrections.

For you they honored the add and that's what they would do. I do find it hard to believe that there is a conspiracy to intentionally deceive us. They are subject to human error just like any other business.

In contrast, I wonder how many justice seeking posters here would notify the cruise lines if the agent had mistakenly entered their cruise fares several hundreds less than was posted?:rolleyes: Ethics can be interesting

I understand what you are saying but still don't change my opinion. It was intentional. When we asked them about the uppgrade, they first changed the add and after that told that this add had never been there. If we wouldn't have had the evidence we wouldn't have anything to defend us.

In the US, I'd definitely be inclined to let it go and accept their $200 OBC offer. Or cancel if you're annoyed with them. Not sure about what you can expect from UK consumer protection laws, but getting a "specific performance" order from a judge when they hold the tape, sounds problematic.

To get a copy of the tape and any other verbal/video/paper records relating to them they need only submit a subject access request to RCI. There is normally a charge of around £10 which the company can impose, however thats a small price to pay should trading standards agree that there is a case to be fought.

Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 08454 04 05 06.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/the_guide/principle_6/access_to_personal_data.aspx

i work ina team that deal with director and exectuive level complaints for a very large media company within the uk

although this is clearly a mistake and a missel by the agent the agent you spoke with

if you came in to our office and dealt with myself or someone in our team within our company we would generally be inclined to "honour the agrrement that they have recordings of being made" on a ONE OFF no strings basis as a goodwill gesture :)

as although yes legally we could get away with sorry it was a mistake, publicity wise its better to bite the bullet

I agree with you! I have been in a similar position & can confirm the company I work for would look at a complaint in a fair way. If anything RCCL needs to look at the training & competency of their advisors on the phone when selling their products.

It can't hurt to write to Mr Goldstein. OP comes across as a calm & reasoned individual that respects opinions of others, whether they be agreeing or disagreeing with their cause.

Good luck if you continue on with your reasoned request Arrowdaz.

If you have let it go I hope that sour taste dissipates enough to enjoy your cruise :)

Just read all this thread and I agree with the majority which is its RCI mistake therefore RCI *should* honour it. Especially as your a platinum member therefore a loyal cruiser.

I can see the other side which of course which is they have offered a refund or a $200 OMC for a mistake. Seems reasonable on the face of it.

I personally still wouldn't happy though. It's a poor do really as it is there mistake . I'm sure they could do better than $200. That's nothing to them is it?

Maybe a cabin upgrade? Maybe more OBC? Maybe a couple of free dinners ? Maybe a free bottle of champers in your stateroom on arrival? All nice little touches that soften the blow.

I understand what you are saying but still don't change my opinion. It was intentional. When we asked them about the uppgrade' date=' they first changed the add and after that told that this add had never been there. If we wouldn't have had the evidence we wouldn't have anything to defend us.[/quote']

Oh, I agree with you 100% on the cruise line honoring the add. Especially since you had the foresight to make a copy of it. These erroneous adds are frequently found and deleted before too much damage can be done. In your case, I still have to beleive it was a programming error that was quickly corrected. We have pretty good "bait and switch" laws in the U.S. and I don't think they'd get far trying that here.

And for a company the size of RCI they really won't miss 2 drinks packages - especially when the couple have booked the whole package inc flights etc with RCI as that's not usually a cheap option! Go on RCI - you need to improve customer service/care sometimes!!!

Hypothetical...

Let's say you were typing out an ad on Craigslist for a car... You meant to type $5000 but you accidentally typed $5... would you sell it to the first person who called for $5? No, you would be crazy to? You would say it was a mistake. Right?

Some of you are going to say you would sell it for $5... but come on, you wouldn't. Why? Because you don't HAVE to!

I know, apples and oranges... but in the end it is the same thing. It was a mistake. I agree it sucks but no amount of pressure is going to change their decision.

If it sounds to good to be true... It is!

Hi guys,

I suppose i could write to Adam Goldstein as some of you previously said, but is it really worth it? Will I even get a reply?

Hi Arrowdaz,

I have been following this thread and am amazed at the "legal" advise that has been posted.....all for a few free drinks!!! Sounds like a perfect Judge Judy episode.:D

I understand how you feel having offered something for free and then saying it was an error, but just in my humble opinion, do not let a few free drinks come in the way of a good cruise vacation. Take the OBC, go on the cruise and enjoy yourself. Don't waste your precious time writing to this one and that one. Instead spend the time planning for a fantastic cruise. Wish you the best of luck and bon voyage!

Hi Arrowdaz,

I have been following this thread and am amazed at the "legal" advise that has been posted.....all for a few free drinks!!! Sounds like a perfect Judge Judy episode.:D

I understand how you feel having offered something for free and then saying it was an error, but just in my humble opinion, do not let a few free drinks come in the way of a good cruise vacation. Take the OBC, go on the cruise and enjoy yourself. Don't waste your precious time writing to this one and that one. Instead spend the time planning for a fantastic cruise. Wish you the best of luck and bon voyage!

/\ /\ This... I agree 100%... Best advise yet.

Best advice yet.

Let it go, move on and enjoy life.

Hi Arrowdaz,

Hypothetical...

I agree it sucks but no amount of pressure is going to change their decision.

Not sure a drink package is too good to be true, I seem to have seen it mentioned several times around the cruise critic boards.

You can cancel the whole thing no harm, no foul.

No, I think this sounds like the overzealous version of the customer is always right. Let it go.

No harm, no foul? Are YOU going to reimburse him his oneway airfare from the UK to the US? He is not acting crazy like some people do. He is merely expecting a promise to be upheld. I back him in his fight, it is nothing to the cruiseline and the right thing to do since it was their mistake, not his.

Hypothetical...

Let's say you were typing out an ad on Craigslist for a car... You meant to type $5000 but you accidentally typed $5... would you sell it to the first person who called for $5? No, you would be crazy to? You would say it was a mistake. Right?

Some of you are going to say you would sell it for $5... but come on, you wouldn't. Why? Because you don't HAVE to!

I know, apples and oranges... but in the end it is the same thing. It was a mistake. I agree it sucks but no amount of pressure is going to change their decision.

Hypothetically...

But if he'd confirmed that $5 price with you twice and then you'd taken his deposit from him to confirm the deal, how would you feel? I don't know and don't pretend to, however, we're not talking of a £4995 (sorry, $4995) difference, we're talking of a lot less to the cruiseline.

Mistakes do happen and we all make them - it's just how we 'make good' those mistakes that sticks in one's mind :).

It can do no harm going to the top and at least then the OP will have the satisfaction of knowing she's seen it through to the end, rather than wondering what his reply would have been. After all, others seem to contact Mr G for mere trivialities (obviously, that's only my opinion, to others it's of vital importance) :).

If you do take it further, you could mention you have discussed this with some other Royal Caribbean customers, many of whom are disappointed in their reaction to the mistake they made.

I for one am rather concerned as I do not know if I can trust RC in the future when considering cruise deals. What if they withdraw part of the offer after they have taken my money, claiming that they did not really mean that was included?

Not great PR really .... and all over a free premium drinks package! ;)

If you do take it further, you could mention you have discussed this with some other Royal Caribbean customers, many of whom are disappointed in their reaction to the mistake they made.

I for one am rather concerned as I do not know if I can trust RC in the future when considering cruise deals. What if they withdraw part of the offer after they have taken my money, claiming that they did not really mean that was included?

Not great PR really .... and all over a free premium drinks package! ;)

Thanks bobbyjean,

I like the idea of this!

Regards

Archived