Pre cruise complaint (what's your view)

Arrowdaz

Hi,

Just 2 days ago I made a booking direct with royal Caribbean international in the UK for a sailing on adventure of the seas on November 4th. It's a transatlantic crossing, I booked all flights transfers and a post cruise stay in Miami after our cruise.

As part Of our package we were offered an all inc premium drinks package and $200 OBC.

However, I received my documentation via e-mail and these two items were missing from it, so I rang up to get the details confirmed.

RCI have today said that the sales agent has made an error and should not have offered me either as these are not available on my sailing, they offered to cancel my booking and give me a full refund or keep the booking open but with just the $200 OBC.

They are adamant that's all they can offer.

Do you think I am with in my rights to demand exactly what was promised at the point of sale?

What would you do?

Please help me take this further and let me know what you think!

If these incentives were what really encouraged you to book this cruise, I would fight it. One of their own agents told you it was included. Their mistake is not your fault.

If it was just a nice little bonus to add onto a cruise you were definitely going to book anyway, I say let it go. At least they were willing to give you the $200 on board credit, that's something.

If these incentives were what really encouraged you to book this cruise, I would fight it. One of their own agents told you it was included. Their mistake is not your fault.

If it was just a nice little bonus to add onto a cruise you were definitely going to book anyway, I say let it go. At least they were willing to give you the $200 on board credit, that's something.

Hi Jenn,

We were looking at several different cruises, all with RCI. But the incentives offered were a deciding factor for us!!

Something about UK Trade Descriptions / mis-selling comes to mind..... thing is they've offered you a full refund so not sure what else you can do other than take the $200..... maybe escalate to a resolutions agent.... not sure whether the $200 was part of an offer that was being made at the time of booking for all bookings... but it's generous and not a frequent carrot..... stick it out and see if you can blag the drinks package from them....

Edited : are you a previous cruiser with RCCL?

If I really wanted to go, I'd go and pay for my drinks individually. I don't see what the problem is.:)

I'm not saying that you heard the agent incorrectly, but it is always a possibility.

If you want the cruise...go.

Hi beachnative,

RCI have listened back to the calls and confirmed that the offered were made but that they shouldn't have been.

as far as I'm concerned if RCL listened to the call and heard you being offered the package, then I say they should honour it, after all it's not your mistake and this was a deciding factor of you booking.

seems to me RCL is trying hard to annoy people at the moment with different things, and they seem to be able to do what they like, when they like

I would fight this all the way as the proof is there

wendy

If I really wanted to go, I'd go and pay for my drinks individually. I don't see what the problem is.:)

I'm not saying that you heard the agent incorrectly, but it is always a possibility.

If you want the cruise...go.

Something about UK Trade Descriptions / mis-selling comes to mind..... thing is they've offered you a full refund so not sure what else you can do other than take the $200..... maybe escalate to a resolutions agent.... not sure whether the $200 was part of an offer that was being made at the time of booking for all bookings... but it's generous and not a frequent carrot..... stick it out and see if you can blag the drinks package from them....

Edited : are you a previous cruiser with RCCL?

Yes we are previous cruisers and crown and anchor platinum members

Hi beachnative,

RCI have listened back to the calls and confirmed that the offered were made but that they shouldn't have been.

If they acknowledge that they offered it to you, and you accepted based on that offer, I'd continue to press. If, for some reason, they can't offer the drink package, perhaps they can offer increased OBC that would help pay for your drinks as you go.

Actually I would fight this one as the incentive that was offered is worth several hundred pounds. The fact that they will honour the $200 or a full refund suggests the mistake was on their part. I would escalate the complaint; they may have offered a refund but that's not much good if you have now booked flights separately. I would be pretty cross in this situation. Even if they are doing everything they are legally obliged to do in the situation this is pretty poor service.

Speak to someone else at RCI as they may well tell you something different! We had a Celebrity deposit we wanted to move to RCI and the RCI rep was insistent with my TA than this wasn't possible and refused to do it. Another call the next day speaking to a different rep and they were told it was no problem and all sorted in minutes.

as far as I'm concerned if RCL listened to the call and heard you being offered the package, then I say they should honour it, after all it's not your mistake and this was a deciding factor of you booking.

seems to me RCL is trying hard to annoy people at the moment with different things, and they seem to be able to do what they like, when they like

I would fight this all the way as the proof is there

wendy

If I'm honest, I have the same opinion, it is not my mistake.

Hi beachnative,

Thank you for responding.:)

I'm glad that they listened to the recording.

I , like you, would be irritated but if I wanted that cruise I would go on it.

If is not resolved but you can let it go, take the cruise as it is. Go for it; it only involves $200 that you initially didn't have and technically didn't lose.

I wish you luck, happiness, and a wonderful cruise.:):)

Actually I would fight this one as the incentive that was offered is worth several hundred pounds. The fact that they will honour the $200 or a full refund suggests the mistake was on their part. I would escalate the complaint; they may have offered a refund but that's not much good if you have now booked flights separately. I would be pretty cross in this situation. Even if they are doing everything they are legally obliged to do in the situation this is pretty poor service.

Speak to someone else at RCI as they may well tell you something different! We had a Celebrity deposit we wanted to move to RCI and the RCI rep was insistent with my TA than this wasn't possible and refused to do it. Another call the next day speaking to a different rep and they were told it was no problem and all sorted in minutes.

Thanks for that,

I did speak to several people today and escalated my complaint as far as I could, they say they will contact me tomorrow for my decision!

I will ask to escalate further.

I think I would fight this too, based on them listening to the call and acknowledging that this was offered. Even though it was offered in error, they need to make good on what was promised when you booked. I would take this further, to the resolution department, etc. Just keep pressing, in a calm and rational manner, that they agree that this was offered to you, and they must stand by their offer.

Thanks for the advise :-)

Honestly, I think you're being unreasonable. You booked a cruise that is almost nine months away, and within 48 hours of booking, they told you they were mistaken with what is a portion of a very large package. They have offered you what they were correctly intending to, and they have given you the option of a complete cancellation. Those are two perfectly reasonable options.

I have trouble believing that this is some sort of bait & switch, but rather it is an innocent (and minor) mistake.

Seriously, two months ago, drink packages didn't even exist on most sailing, much less free packages. Can you honestly tell me that this little extra is what tipped the scales in favor of you taking a long transatlantic trip? And if the answer is "yes", then good news. You can cancel the whole thing no harm, no foul.

No, I think this sounds like the overzealous version of the customer is always right. Let it go.

I am going on a trans atlantic in April and our travel agent gave us $125 OBC which I was happy with. I guess if your agent promised one thing and you were given another your contract was not completely honored because you were promised these extra incentives to book.

Could there have been a miscommunication where the agent told you an incentive for a different cabin category such as a balcony and your booked in an ocean view? Either way if your agent is a good agent he or she should make it right since RCCL could sever relations with the agent especially after listening to the tape.

Perhaps this agent told a lot of other people booked on the same itinerary about the incentive and they are out the drink package as well.

I would pursue this because you were expecting an added bonus and now you will have to budget more for such a package or individual drinks.

Possibly the UK Consumer Affairs department would want to hear about it if you are not given what you have been promised. If the agent wants repeat business then he or she will want to make it right even if it comes out of their commission.

On the other hand you booked the cruise because you wanted to go on this itinerary but since its before final payment you may be able to transfer this booking to another agent you trust who can offer such incentives since your payment goes directly to RCCL.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Honestly, I think you're being unreasonable. You booked a cruise that is almost nine months away, and within 48 hours of booking, they told you they were mistaken with what is a portion of a very large package. They have offered you what they were correctly intending to, and they have given you the option of a complete cancellation. Those are two perfectly reasonable options.

I have trouble believing that this is some sort of bait & switch, but rather it is an innocent (and minor) mistake.

Seriously, two months ago, drink packages didn't even exist on most sailing, much less free packages. Can you honestly tell me that this little extra is what tipped the scales in favor of you taking a long transatlantic trip? And if the answer is "yes", then good news. You can cancel the whole thing no harm, no foul.

No, I think this sounds like the overzealous version of the customer is always right. Let it go.

Hi mac

Thanks for your opinion, as I said earlier, the offers were a deciding factor on several different cruises we were looking at. All were with royal Caribbean and a few were transatlantic options. The packages that were offered on this sailing simply made us choose this over a different sailings.

At the end of the day, it's not me in the wrong. I was simply offered something and then had it revoked. RCI didn't contact me to make me aware that these items were not available, I queried why they weren't on my confirmation!

Regards

I am going on a trans atlantic in April and our travel agent gave us $125 OBC which I was happy with. I guess if your agent promised one thing and you were given another your contract was not completely honored because you were promised these extra incentives to book.

Could there have been a miscommunication where the agent told you an incentive for a different cabin category such as a balcony and your booked in an ocean view? Either way if your agent is a good agent he or she should make it right since RCCL could sever relations with the agent especially after listening to the tape.

Perhaps this agent told a lot of other people booked on the same itinerary about the incentive and they are out the drink package as well.

I would pursue this because you were expecting an added bonus and now you will have to budget more for such a package or individual drinks.

Possibly the UK Consumer Affairs department would want to hear about it if you are not given what you have been promised. If the agent wants repeat business then he or she will want to make it right even if it comes out of their commission.

On the other hand you booked the cruise because you wanted to go on this itinerary but since its before final payment you may be able to transfer this booking to another agent you trust who can offer such incentives since your payment goes directly to RCCL.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Hi,

The booking was made direct with RCI over the phone!

And I will keep you all posted as to what happens!

Thanks

I don't know if I'd consider a free premium drink package a "little extra" when you are talking about a 13 night sailing. I don't know what the UK pricing is on the drink package, but that would be worth $715 per person ($55 per night X 13 nights) for a US based cruise. Considering a balcony stateroom is going for around $1200 per person for that cruise right now, an extra incentive that is worth 60% of what I'm paying for the cruise would seem like a pretty big deal.

I'm totally with the OP on this one. Don't know British law but at least in the US an offer was made and accepted thereby making it an oral contract. The fact that it was confirmed by the tape takes it out of the he said/she said category and makes it equivalent to a written contract. It's not a small amount - more like $110 per day for two people. The offer is apparently what sealed the deal. I know it's a very small comparison but I know if I've purchased something in a store that has been inadvertently marked with a low price, they must let me have it for that price.

I say keep fighting especially since there is now the airfare issue.

Hi,

Just 2 days ago I made a booking direct with royal Caribbean international in the UK for a sailing on adventure of the seas on November 4th. It's a transatlantic crossing, I booked all flights transfers and a post cruise stay in Miami after our cruise.

As part Of our package we were offered an all inc premium drinks package and $200 OBC.

However, I received my documentation via e-mail and these two items were missing from it, so I rang up to get the details confirmed.

RCI have today said that the sales agent has made an error and should not have offered me either as these are not available on my sailing, they offered to cancel my booking and give me a full refund or keep the booking open but with just the $200 OBC.

They are adamant that's all they can offer.

Do you think I am with in my rights to demand exactly what was promised at the point of sale?

What would you do?

Please help me take this further and let me know what you think!

Per RCI/UK terms and conditions a binding contract is not in place until they send you the Confirmation Invoice. If the drink package was not on that, you're likely relying on their goodwill to provide you anything.

Am checking out the Sale of Goods Act.... ok ok I have nothing better to do..... was this offer made as a result of another cruise issue? As compensation for something?

Hi,

First of all, Thank you so much for your help.

No it wasn't it was a regular ordinary booking

Archived