Pre cruise complaint (what's your view)

Arrowdaz

Have you seen the revitalisation schedule? Here

10 /11 day cruises with ports of call I've not visited.... may B2B.... don't know... wish that TA on AoS hadn't been pointed out to me..... would so do a B2B on her again.... air fare conundrum there though.

Linda, book a flight with Virgin back from the USA as your outbound leg and then time your return flight for April 2014 for another TA. Best of both worlds and only one airfare covering 2 cruises (we paid £550 for our flight doing it this way) plus cheap internal US San Juan flight

Based on my Citizens Advice background I'd beg to differ. I think you're wrong :-)

Jolly good. No doubt you'll be able to provide the OP with the case law that overturns these standard clauses in the booking conditions of all the holiday companies, then.

Or maybe not. Because, despite your background, you are wrong :)

If these incentives were what really encouraged you to book this cruise, I would fight it. One of their own agents told you it was included. Their mistake is not your fault.

If it was just a nice little bonus to add onto a cruise you were definitely going to book anyway, I say let it go. At least they were willing to give you the $200 on board credit, that's something.

I agree with you. Since the agent was acting on RCL's behave the cruiseline should make it good.

Jolly good. No doubt you'll be able to provide the OP with the case law that overturns these standard clauses in the booking conditions of all the holiday companies, then.

Or maybe not. Because, despite your background, you are wrong :)

I think you'll find I am not but I can't waste my quality time arguing with someone like you so this is my last post to you :-)

Have you seen the revitalisation schedule? Here

10 /11 day cruises with ports of call I've not visited.... may B2B.... don't know... wish that TA on AoS hadn't been pointed out to me..... would so do a B2B on her again.... air fare conundrum there though.

Until the gut the center and include a Royal Promenade I won't be interested in Legend.

Hey,

Thanks everyone for taking your time to read this and reply to me, I think the general consensus from all the comments is that I'm not being unreasonable by requesting exactly what was offered to me at the time of booking.

So I will await he phone call from the customer relations team today and see what they have to say.

I will keep you all posted with any feedback I get.

Thanks again

Regards

Hey,

Thanks everyone for taking your time to read this and reply to me, I think the general consensus from all the comments is that I'm not being unreasonable by requesting exactly what was offered to me at the time of booking.

So I will await he phone call from the customer relations team today and see what they have to say.

I will keep you all posted with any feedback I get.

Thanks again

Regards

Good luck!

Wow, this really seems to be getting blown out of proportion.

First, anyone on here who is trying to make a legal argument is acting foolish. If you aren't a legal expert, shut up. If you ARE a legal expert, you know better than to think this is an appropriate forum to state your case.

I can't believe how many people are saying things to the effect of "hopefully RCI will make it right". THEY ALREADY HAVE!!!! They offered a complete refund! And it was 48 hours after booking a cruise that's nine months out! It's not like the pulled the rug out from under the OP after months and months.

People make mistakes, and companies make mistakes. When that happens, then efforts should be made to make up for that mistake. Anyone who honestly believes the OP "deserves" two free drink packages, please explain why. I think this is nothing but greed and people believing that they can really screw the company.

Lastly, we're talking about a cruise here. There is hardly any injustice.

I can't believe how many people are saying things to the effect of "hopefully RCI will make it right". THEY ALREADY HAVE!!!! They offered a complete refund! And it was 48 hours after booking a cruise that's nine months out! It's not like the pulled the rug out from under the OP after months and months.

We'll see. It's not entirely "making things right" if someone booked based on a promise, made other arrangements like airfare, then an invoice showed up that was missing part of the promised package from RCI.

They may have done all they are required to do, but I think the right thing to do stand by their word, even if it was the wrong thing to have offered. I might feel differently, if it were something outlandish that would really hurt the company, if they carried through with it. Two passengers getting free drinks during the cruise doesn't quite hit the level of outlandish to me, though. So, in my opinion, making it right would be honoring what was offered and accepted by the customer.

This is a really good point, I didn't really take it into consideration when I read this entire thread.

I, for one, would not book my flights & accommodation 9 months out unless they are refundable. And if I was booking them based solely on a cruise, I would check my invoice before proceeding!

RCI offering a full refund have done the right thing. It is not their fault if the OP has booked other stuff.

Anyone who honestly believes the OP "deserves" two free drink packages, please explain why.

Um, how about "Because that's what they were promised"?

Actually, though, I think the problem is that RCCL offered too many choices. If they had just said, "this was an error, we'll refund your cruise cost and any (reasonable) flight change/cancellation fees and throw in $100-200 OBC and start over", I think that would have been reasonable (unless the OP could show that there was some limited time deal that was missed out on, in which case than Royal should honor the pricing from that sale). The OP would be out nothing, and RCCL has made a goodwill gesture. And he could have rebooked, and been exactly where he is now.

By leaving the option of keeping the booking but without what was promised, it seems like they are being cheap and dishonest. Even though the net impact is the same, I think the perception is different.

(And, yes, I know I've changed my position. It's a man's prerogative ;))

First, anyone on here who is trying to make a legal argument is acting foolish. If you aren't a legal expert, shut up. If you ARE a legal expert, you know better than to think this is an appropriate forum to state your case.

People make mistakes, and companies make mistakes. When that happens, then efforts should be made to make up for that mistake. Anyone who honestly believes the OP "deserves" two free drink packages, please explain why. I think this is nothing but greed and people believing that they can really screw the company.

WOW,

To you mac, you are really missing the whole idea of this thread, I am not trying to "screw" royal Caribbean for anything. And my whole package inc flights the cruise all transfers was ALL BOOKED THROUGH RCI. I haven't made additional booking with anyone other than a complete package with RCI.

If you re-read my original post I was simply asking for other people's opinions, and just as you are entitled to yours, I, and everyone else on here are entitled to there's too!!

If people on here would like to quote the legal issues surrounding this then that's what they are totally entitled to do, that's why it's a forum! But the fact that they have, doesn't mean that I will be quoting legal facts to RCCL.

You have made your view quite clear and we are all aware that you seem to think that I am out to screw Royal Caribbean. But this is simply your opinion, and just for future reference, don't give up your day job to become a travel agent will you. It really wouldn't be your fortay.

Kind regards

This is a really good point, I didn't really take it into consideration when I read this entire thread.

I, for one, would not book my flights & accommodation 9 months out unless they are refundable. And if I was booking them based solely on a cruise, I would check my invoice before proceeding!

RCI offering a full refund have done the right thing. It is not their fault if the OP has booked other stuff.

Hi,

The whole package was booked through RCI, all in. No there reservations have been made, other than with RcI

Regards

WOW,

To you mac, you are really missing the whole idea of this thread, I am not trying to "screw" royal Caribbean for anything. And my whole package inc flights the cruise all transfers was ALL BOOKED THROUGH RCI. I haven't made additional booking with anyone other than a complete package with RCI.

If you re-read my original post I was simply asking for other people's opinions, and just as you are entitled to yours, I, and everyone else on here are entitled to there's too!!

If people on here would like to quote the legal issues surrounding this then that's what they are totally entitled to do, that's why it's a forum! But the fact that they have, doesn't mean that I will be quoting legal facts to RCCL.

You have made your view quite clear and we are all aware that you seem to think that I am out to screw Royal Caribbean. But this is simply your opinion, and just for future reference, don't give up your day job to become a travel agent will you. It really wouldn't be your fortay.

Kind regards

I am not a legal expert, so I don't know if they are contractually required to do more for you. IMHO you aren't trying to screw anyone. Many people try to get one over, but I believe that you did your homework. You had the booking held, and double-checked regarding the perks. It was an offer they were making on other ships at the time, so it wasn't a "Too good to be true" offer. I hope they honor what the original agent promised to you. Please let us know the outcome. I am rooting for you.

Now I'd love to be really contentious here and state that the original offer was only available to US residents and that's why you haven't got it - but I won't say that otherwise it'll only cause more negative posts....lol :D :p.

Joking apart, I'm also rooting for you :). Please let us know the outcome.

Now I'd love to be really contentious here and state that the original offer was only available to US residents and that's why you haven't got it - but I won't say that otherwise it'll only cause more negative posts....lol :D :p.

Joking apart, I'm also rooting for you :). Please let us know the outcome.

I thought of that, and wondered if that's where the mistake was. It still seems like it could just be honored in this one case, where it was promised. But perhaps they're worried about a bunch of other passengers, who were told this offer was only available to US residents, hearing that some other, non-US resident got the offer.

I will say this..

OP, you seem like the type of person who can get results because you are calm and think things through. I would be yelling at someone and therefore not getting anywhere, but that is just how I am wired... hence part of the reason I would just drop it. I am really curious to hear how this turns out. Good luck to you! Please keep us posted.

The only thing I see out of proportion, is your post.

Cruise Critic is an open discussion forum. You don't need to be a legal expert to offer your opinion. Nobody is mistaking posts here for legal advice. But my experience on CC is that majority opinion is pretty good at providing experience from similar situations and laying out the options.

I also do not agree with your "nothing but greed" assessment. Consumer protection laws in the UK are different. Your opinion that OP is entitled to nothing, is IMO worth much less than the opinions of UK posters who have had relevant experience.

WOW,

Kind regards

Like button pushed.;)

Hi guys,

It's not good news unfortunately.

The customer resolutions department have confirmed to me on the phone that their decision is final, and apparently the decision has come direct from Lois Charters, Head of Customer Relations and RCCL UK.

They are saying that they are in their legal rights to offer me a full refund and cancel my booking.

This is disappointing news to say the least and we still haven't made a decision as to wether or not to cancel this trip or just go with it, this has just left a sour taste in my mouth if that makes sense.

I suppose i could write to Adam Goldstein as some of you previously said, but is it really worth it? Will I even get a reply?

Look, the OP is out nothing. It hasn't cost him or her a thing. As he or she stated, the whole thing was booked through RCI, so the refund covers everything.

To me this seems like a totally reasonable response on their part because of the timing. If the OP booked a few days ago, then found out a couple MONTHS from now that there was a mistake, I would be all for pushing for them to honor it.

But I genuinely believe this is a "no harm, no foul" situation. I am confident that the OP has not missed out on any opportunities to book other vacations for the same time frame, as it's nine months out. I suspect any offer that was available for similar vacations 3 days ago is still there now.

Hi guys,

It's not good news unfortunately.

The customer resolutions department have confirmed to me on the phone that their decision is final, and apparently the decision has come direct from Lois Charters, Head of Customer Relations and RCCL UK.

They are saying that they are in their legal rights to offer me a full refund and cancel my booking.

This is disappointing news to say the least and we still haven't made a decision as to wether or not to cancel this trip or just go with it, this has just left a sour taste in my mouth if that makes sense.

I suppose i could write to Adam Goldstein as some of you previously said, but is it really worth it? Will I even get a reply?

Sorry to hear that. If it were me, I would email Adam Goldstein. I believe I would feel as if I have nothing to lose, the worst he can do is say no. I am not sure if he answers email directly as I've never emailed him. I do know there is a blog on the Royal Caribbean website that I believe he answers directly to.

I understand the sour taste in your mouth. Still rooting for you. Please let us know what you decide to do.

You could write a letter to AG, but your reply will most likely not get you much further. I can see him offering you something like a specialty dinner for two or something along those lines but I can assure you they will not give you what the rep mistakenly offered to you. It is up to you how much more effort you want to put into it. I agree, I would be pissed off but they have much too easy of an out... offering you your money back.

I would go with the trip, smuggle on some hooch and have a great time. Whatever you do, I wish you luck!

We booked a cruise because the advertisement on their own web pages promised an upgrade to a balcony stateroom. When we wondered when we can see the upgrade on our reservation they made changes to the add and then replied that this upgrade wasn't available on our cruise. Luckily we had saved screenshot of the original add. They had no other option than to give us what was promised. But we were really disappointed at their attempt to fool us...

Archived