Getting Married on a cruise Ship

The Fox

Hi,

After 10 years together Di and I decided to tie the knot and get married.We have survived the engagement.

Natuarally being keen cruisers we are considering the idea a marriage at sea.

Can anyone please shed some light as to which lines do marriages...are they considered legal in Australia and of course the cost involved.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Col

Hi,

After 10 years together Di and I decided to tie the knot and get married.We have survived the engagement.

Natuarally being keen cruisers we are considering the idea a marriage at sea.

Can anyone please shed some light as to which lines do marriages...are they considered legal in Australia and of course the cost involved.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Col

Our THIED would know all about that, I believe he got married at sea, Thied where are yoooooooooooo!

Congratulations Col and Di.

I believe the Princess ships are registered in Bermuda so that the Captain can carry out a wedding.

As to its legality under Australian law ??????

However what I have seen was a wedding on board a ship the day we boarded. It is quite legal for a celebrant to marry a couple on a cruise ship when it is in port that day.

We did a short trans Tasman on Aurora once and a couple from Auckland had their wedding on board. They had a small group of invited guest on board and a reception in one of the lounges.On chatting to the couple later, they did say it took a lot of organising as initially the shore staff told them it was impossible. You would need to get through the front of office telephone bunnies and talk to someone in the cruise line who actually knows what they are doing.

That in itself would be a challenge...but it can be done.

All the best. Trust it all goes ahead as planned for you both.

There was a wedding on the Radiance, 15th Feb cruise. If the ceremony was held on the ship it was done while still in port before we left Sydney as we saw the bride and groom and guests turn up for safety drill after some celebrating. The lucky honeymooners I believe we're following up with an Oasis cruise for the extended honeymoon.

There was a wedding on board Solstice the afternoon of the one day cruise - so, I think you need to get married whilst still in an Australian port and BYO celebrant - I believe that would be a legal Australian marriage.

Not sure about the legality under Australian law, but on our recent Radiance cruise, in answer to a question, Capt Sidre said that a recent change to Bahamanian (?) law, allows the captain on RC ships to perform marriages on board. Captain then asked the lady "who was planning to get married?" and she pointed out one of her friends. He said he would be glad to conduct the ceremony.

These might be of some help...

http://www.pocruises.com.au/findacruise/pages/weddings-and-renewal-of-vows.aspx

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/celebrations/wedding/index.jsp

The ceremony would need to be held on the day of departure (celebrant would have to disembark after the ceremony), but I believe it is all legal in Australia.

Hi, we looked into getting married on a cruise ship with Royal Caribbean, there is a company called Royal Romance, we went through a lot of organising with a wedding planner in Italy? We were then asked to pay a substantial deposit, we contacted the wedding planner who advised that she had passed the planning on to another planner Mr XXXXXXX, we contacted him and his first words were.. Who are you? I have no idea what you are talking about. So, I was very suspicious, I contacted Royal Caribbean who advised it is nothing to do with them. I then researched Royal Romance and whilst they exist there are many horror stories posted on the internet. So……………….. We went to LAS VEGAS!!!!! Beware! Good luck.

Archived