All Things Adventure of the Seas

Doing AotS for the first time in Jan. 2016! Hoping I can get some initial questions answered here? :)

1. The itinerary we have seems to only be sailing about 5 times. It's San Juan to St. Croix/St. Kitts/St. Maarten/Dominica/Barbados. Just wondering the reason for the switch up in ports for some cruises?

2. Departure is 8:30 p.m. but I'm reading we can board as early as 11:30-ish. Just curious why ships leave San Juan so late?

3. We will have two young adults with us - ages 18 and 20. It's my understanding that they could legally have alcohol in San Juan if they wish but they cannot drink on the ship, true?

4. Flights into SJPR. Generally best to book myself or through choice air? Obviously, neither option is available yet but I'm curious if anyone has found it less expensive through RCI coming from the States.

TIA :)

Doing AotS for the first time in Jan. 2016! Hoping I can get some initial questions answered here? :)

1. The itinerary we have seems to only be sailing about 5 times. It's San Juan to St. Croix/St. Kitts/St. Maarten/Dominica/Barbados. Just wondering the reason for the switch up in ports for some cruises?

2. Departure is 8:30 p.m. but I'm reading we can board as early as 11:30-ish. Just curious why ships leave San Juan so late?

3. We will have two young adults with us - ages 18 and 20. It's my understanding that they could legally have alcohol in San Juan if they wish but they cannot drink on the ship, true?

4. Flights into SJPR. Generally best to book myself or through choice air? Obviously, neither option is available yet but I'm curious if anyone has found it less expensive through RCI coming from the States.

TIA :)

Hello! I can answer #2 and #4 for you!

#2) It typically leaves this late because your first port stop isn't that far from PR. It doesn't take long to get there at all, therefore, no need to leave any sooner.

#4) I would say book it yourself. From what I understand, Choice Air is typically only cheaper for the flights to Europe, etc. I've always made out the same or better by booking myself.

Enjoy Adventure!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you! I've heard the same about choice air but I wasn't sure if maybe Puerto Rico was different than a domestic flight.

Interesting on the reason. I guess that does make sense. I'm just glad we can board the ship at a "normal" time. I originally thought we couldn't get on until late in the afternoon.

Another question I remembered: We have connecting balcony rooms on deck 7. I think I read that the balcony dividers do not come out on Adventure. Is this true for every deck / balcony?

Thank you! I've heard the same about choice air but I wasn't sure if maybe Puerto Rico was different than a domestic flight.

Interesting on the reason. I guess that does make sense. I'm just glad we can board the ship at a "normal" time. I originally thought we couldn't get on until late in the afternoon.

Another question I remembered: We have connecting balcony rooms on deck 7. I think I read that the balcony dividers do not come out on Adventure. Is this true for every deck / balcony?

Yes, true for every balcony.

Looking at beverage packages for our April cruise on AOS. Does any one know what a fountain soda, specialty coffee, & bottled water cost if they were purchased separately?

Soda is only available in cans for single purchase, at about $2.50 per can. The 1L (smaller sizes not available for single purchase) Evian bottled water goes for around $4. Specialty coffees in the $3 to $5 range.

Edited by clarea

Soda is only available in cans for single purchase, at about $2.50 per can. The 1L (smaller sizes not available for single purchase) Evian bottled water goes for around $4. Specialty coffees in the $3 to $5 range.

Thanks! That is great information. Now all I need to know is how many coffees she will drink each day[emoji2]

Do happen to know if there is a grocery near the pier & whether or not you are permitted off and then back off the ship in San Juan once you have checked in at initial boarding?

Do happen to know if there is a grocery near the pier & whether or not you are permitted off and then back off the ship in San Juan once you have checked in at initial boarding?

There is no grocery near the Pan American pier. However, there is a duty free shop in the terminal building. They carry items like cigarettes, water, wine, liquor, soda.

There is no grocery near the Pan American pier. However, there is a duty free shop in the terminal building. They carry items like cigarettes, water, wine, liquor, soda.

Royal's website indicates that you are not allowed to bring nonalcoholic beverages on board. Do you know that yo be true. I know princess allowed us to bring on a 12pack of soda?

Royal's website indicates that you are not allowed to bring nonalcoholic beverages on board. Do you know that yo be true. I know princess allowed us to bring on a 12pack of soda?

I know that Royal's website cites their policy. I also know that the policy is not enforced most of the time, with regard to water and soda. We have had water taken from us before, so you have to keep in mind that you might lose whatever you try to bring onboard, however you have a good chance of being allowed.

Edited by clarea

Once you have checked in and boarded the ship you can come and go from it just like at ports of call.

Yes, you can check-in and then get off/on ship as many times as you want prior to final boarding.

Bob is correct here. There is not a grocery (or anything within walking distance of the Pan Am pier.) The duty free shop in the terminal has expanded a little over the last couple of years but I believe it still carries very limited variety. If there is something specific you want then I would bring it with you. There are several "pharmacy convenience stores" in Old San Juan so if you check-in and then take a taxi over to OSJ for some sightseeing/lunch, etc you can pick stuff up there. Most likely you will be able to get most any NON-alcoholic beverages on. However, I agree...it might get taken from you but I would say 99% of the time you are allowed to take it on.

Yes, I'd like to know that as well. We are staying in OSJ by the CVS before we head over to the pier and would love to bring some water or juice with us. I know on carnival we can.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is an awesome CVS. It is where we pick up all the stuff that we forgot to pack before leaving home!:D

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know the menu order for the St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, Curacao route? Trying to figure when to go to Giovanni's. Thanks very much!

Gosh...I posted most of the night's rotation somewhere about a month ago. However, I can't locate the post now and I sure can't remember. LOL Hopefully someone else will report in soon and give you the answer.

Does anyone know the menu order for the St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, Curacao route? Trying to figure when to go to Giovanni's. Thanks very much!

OK...just researched and found my post from a month or so ago.

I don't have them all...and of course subject to change...but I believe this was the order for 11/30 and 12/7 sailings:

Night 1 = Mojo

Niight 2= saffron

Night 3= Pimiento

Night 4=

Night 5= shiitake

Night 6= Jasmine

Night 7= Pomodora

See this thread....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45039368#post45039368

Edited by skiiergirl

How dressy do people get on the formal night and then in the regular nights?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It varies widely. Most formal nights the majority of men wear a tie and jacket. Other nights, nice slacks and a collared shirt of some type is fine.