My review of our recent Riviera cruise

Hambagahle

I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed reading this review and how apt I think it is!

Glowing recommendations like these from a seasoned, well informed passenger speaks volumes about the quality of the Oceania product, and the vivid descriptions put me right back "on the ship".

My only regret is that I did not write it myself, as I echo the scentiments exactly!

Bravo!

Thanks, Gerry, for posting the link to your review. I enjoyed your onboard reports and am glad to see you enjoyed the Oceania experience so much. We think it is a wonderful product and look forward to our cruise next spring.

What future cruise are you contemplating?

I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed reading this review and how apt I think it is!

Glowing recommendations like these from a seasoned, well informed passenger speaks volumes about the quality of the Oceania product.

Bravo!

Perfectly stated....my bucket list just keeps getting longer!

Glowing recommendations like these from a seasoned, well informed passenger speaks volumes about the quality of the Oceania product, and the vivid descriptions put me right back "on the ship".

My only regret is that I did not write it myself, as I echo the scentiments exactly!

Bravo!

I don't mean to be negative, but do you think that Caroldoll and Gerry's first experience on Oceania might have been influenced or shaded somewhat by their being in an Owner's suite? I mean, we had a very nice first cruise on Riviera as well, but with an ordinary cabin, no butler, limited specialty reservations, and no waiters knowing our names, it might have been a little different experience. Sort of like attending the same concert or NBA game, but a little different perspective upstairs from those sitting front row or court side, or in the owner's box.

I don't mean to be negative, but do you think that Caroldoll and Gerry's first experience on Oceania might have been influenced or shaded somewhat by their being in an Owner's suite? I mean, we had a very nice first cruise on Riviera as well, but with an ordinary cabin, no butler, limited specialty reservations, and no waiters knowing our names, it might have been a little different experience. Sort of like attending the same concert or NBA game, but a little different perspective upstairs from those sitting front row or court side, or in the owner's box.

A cogent point Dig... - Mike (a big O fan)

I guess that you did not read Gerry's review very carefully......she and her husband were in an OCEANIA Suite, not an OWNERS' Suite.

Pursuant to your original comment, however, one could just as easily say that their expectation of the cruise might have been colored by their paying tens of thousands of dollars more for the same voyage as those in the (your words) "ordinary cabins".

Must everyone who goes to a particular restaurant eat the most expensive entree before they review it?

I guess that you did not read Gerry's review very carefully......she and her husband were in an OCEANIA Suite, not an OWNERS' Suite.

Pursuant to your original comment, however, one could just as easily say that their expectation of the cruise might have been colored by their paying tens of thousands of dollars more for the same voyage as those in the (your words) "ordinary cabins".

Must everyone who goes to a particular restaurant eat the most expensive entree before they review it?

Sorry, I did misread it, and don't get me wrong, I am not putting down the experience or saying that anyone should not write a review. I am just surmising that the experience is a little different in an owner's suite than it is in a concierge level veranda cabin, such as I stayed in. Let's hope that those who pay thousands of dollars more receive good value for the price. I don't resent it at all. I just looked it up and the Oceania suite is only a mere 1000. Sq. feet....about 4 times the size of my cabin.

JimandStan - thanks for the very kind words! You have been incredibly helpful to me in the past and I am grateful!

Danny - let's get a perspective on this. I have, for the last 9 years, cruised only Regent which considers itself a "luxury" line. And for the most part I agree with that adjective. I have also only had what I suppose you might term "up market" suites on Regent with the exception of only one cruise. My husband and I like space, we like having a butler and we like what all of this brings. It is our choice to spend more money on a cruise to make sure we have the level of experience we are seeking. We have travelled and worked all over the world and the ship for us is far more important than the destinations! So that is why we spend money for a large(larger!) suite.

My comments come from that basis... I am sure however that had I always cruised Regent in their "normal" suites which are about the same size as the PH suites on Oceania, and then had been on Oceania in a PH suite my feelings and comments would have been the same.

I cannot put myself in your shoes, nor do I want to. I have my own frame of reference and am perfectly honest about this.

Gerry

I greatly enjoyed the review but particularly liked that there were two thoughtful reviews of ports visited since the emphasis on these boards is often as much about the ship amenities as about the ports. And we have chosen Oceania because of the ports. I like to read about all those luxuries even though we will not be experiencing them on our 2 Oceania cruises next year. I am especially looking forward to eating everywhere on the ship and dieting to get ready!!

On the other hand, I see Dig's point of view too. We are not even doing a veranda cabin and I am beginning to wonder if we will be allowed in the specialty restaurants, etc after all the butlers, concierge, etc get done booking for the suite, etc passengers. Will we be stuck eating cold food in the MDR?? Seriously, I expect to enjoy both cruises but I hope to see a review by then by someone who did not stay in a suite with perks or concierge privileges and still had a good time. I am not criticizing those who paid lots to stay in the best suites and I will still be reading their reviews too. You only have to wait a year or so Dig for my review of life on the Marina at the other end.

Gerry,

Please don't get me wrong. I very much enjoyed your review and your perspective, and as you and Carol are long time luxury cruisers, I especially respect your opinions. I went on my first cruise on O on Riviera in Jan. with 6 veteran Crystal cruisers and we all came away impressed and signed on for future cruises. We loved many things about the experience, but were not "blown away" or "wowed" as were you and Carol, which led me to wonder if being in a top notch suite might have been the difference. That is the only point that I was attempting to make.

Regards

We are going on March 18 on the same trip the review is based on only in a lowly ocean view room. Have no fear I booked the shore ex. I wanted on line with no problem, booked the Culinary class I wanted with no problem and booked the 4 speciality rest. with the time I wanted (early enough to see the show) and a table for two with no problem. These are not two class ships so once you close the door to your room, no matter how big it is, we are all on the same ship. As for the food I am sure it is great all over and there is lots of it, the reason the speciality rest are such a big issue (IMO) is they are included in the price or as some say are free!! If there was a extra charge they would be less of a focal point. I can use the phone and we like to be out and about rather than hang in our room so not having a Butler or a Concierge will not take away from our vacation and if I want a hot breakfast I know where to get it. I feel we will have a great time in this lowly room and so will you.

We will be in a PH on our November Riviera crossing. We've been in a PH on Regent *once*, and had butlers twice. I frankly don't have much use for them--nice fellows, but there's little for them to do for us. I don't really need the cocktail-hour canapes, I like to make my own dinner reservations, we rarely use room service, etc. Mostly we have been in standard cabins on Regent and have always been treated in exemplary fashion--I assume this to be the case on Oceania.

As for the cabin, it's a bit of a splurge, but it's a crossing, and the price is reasonable compared to Regent. It's larger than the standard RSSC Voyager cabins, but not by a huge amount.

I fully expect to be treated rather well in a PH, given access to the spa deck and lounge, but once outside the cabin, I assume this will be a very Regent-like experience in terms of democracy--we will all be alike. Yes, I'll only be able to pre-book one specialty restaurant night per venue, but so what. I certainly will not starve.

(Now if I could just manage to wangle free internet!)

Not if they somehow harmonized benefits between R and O! I can live in hope!

I would rather have the O benefits ...do not need free phone calls or free internet would rather have the OBC's

But hat is just me :D

Well, this was out first cruise with Oceania so we had no benefits... But Wendy - the cost was less than it would have been in a Navigator suite on the Nav. AND I costed in all the "free" benefits we had on Regent and did not have on Oceania. ie tips, internet, *beverage" - how I hate that word! - package. And the excursions we wanted. Seems to me you have to look at the total... not the parts. I take a mobile phone with me and while I would have had 3 hrs of free phone time on Regent, I usually use my own phone. And did this time (and had a family emergency as well...) but I expect to pay for my phone calls.

OBC's - I usually "waste" them anyway. Just go to the spa. I suppose I am not very imaginative...

Does anyone really believe that the perspective on a cruise is not affected by the type of cabin booked?

Folks in the largest suites are NOT having the same cruise experience as folks in an inside cabin. Clearly, they are paying for the difference and deserve every benefit they have paid for -- but to think a review is not affected by the cabin experience is absurd.

Archived