Disappointed in Summit

Lady Chew

I have seen photos of some of the aft cabins on the M class ships - the huge ones - with loungers. We did not have loungers in Aquaclass on Deck 9, or even footstools. had to beg the steward to bring 2 extra regular chairs. We had plenty of room as 9038 has a larger, angled balcony. I know this was the topic of much discussion on CC last year!!

Even on our Celebrity Suite on S class and Royal Suite on M class, there was only 1 lounger. We begged an extra lounger, which the butler brought from one of the upper decks, I assume. It was a pool lounger-type chair.

We'll be on the Summit in just over 6 weeks in Aqua class and I hope our pillows and bedding are in better shape than what you experienced. We have also booked Summit for November (123Go promo!) so I hope we enjoy our first cruise on Summit. We're pretty easy going people and generally go with the flow, but I abhor yucky bedding.

Thanks for your review!

I'm surprised that your cruises all had loungers on standard balconies. I've only cruised X and Princess, but I avidly "check out" the other ships we dock beside in ports, and I never saw anything on any ship with a regular balcony except chairs similar (but not as nice) to X. That being said, I can't think of a time that I've been docked beside a Holland ship, so I can't report on that. Maybe loungers on standard balconies are a thing of the past, before I started cruising in 2005. ?

Aren't they usually the reclining chairs? Not quite a longer but able to tilt back a bit?

We didn't use the Solarium, it looked & felt like an old gymnasium pool.

Having been on the Solstice and spent many enjoyably blissful hours in the Solarium I look forward to visiting the Summit's Solarium on my April 2014 San Juan - NYC sailing.

FWIW it hardly looks like an old gym pool but will experience it for myself and report back.

Having been on the Solstice and spent many enjoyably blissful hours in the Solarium I look forward to visiting the Summit's Solarium on my April 2014 San Juan - NYC sailing.

FWIW it hardly looks like an old gym pool but will experience it for myself and report back.

If Summit's Solarium Pool is anything like those on the other 3 M Class ships, believe me, you have nothing to worry about. If it does look like a gym, where do I sign up! I think some people's perspective can be affected by the rest of their cruise experience, & thus their statements may be a tad exaggerated.

We'll be on the Summit in just over 6 weeks in Aqua class and I hope our pillows and bedding are in better shape than what you experienced. We have also booked Summit for November (123Go promo!) so I hope we enjoy our first cruise on Summit. We're pretty easy going people and generally go with the flow, but I abhor yucky bedding.

Thanks for your review!

We had Aqua 1135 and the room was in great shape overall. The bedding was perfectly clean and comfortable and the pillows provided were very comfortable and we even had a couple extra in the closet for those days when we wanted to sit up in bed and read. Enjoy your trip and if you have a little extra room in your luggage let me know! I can squeeze in for another cruise!! :D

We had Aqua 1135 and the room was in great shape overall. The bedding was perfectly clean and comfortable and the pillows provided were very comfortable and we even had a couple extra in the closet for those days when we wanted to sit up in bed and read. Enjoy your trip and if you have a little extra room in your luggage let me know! I can squeeze in for another cruise!! :D

Thanks for the info! Glad to hear your experience in Aqua was good, now I can relax! And, yes, of course, there's always room in our luggage for a fellow Canadian!

If Summit's Solarium Pool is anything like those on the other 3 M Class ships, believe me, you have nothing to worry about. If it does look like a gym, where do I sign up! I think some people's perspective can be affected by the rest of their cruise experience, & thus their statements may be a tad exaggerated.

Hi Rich:)....I have sailed SUMMIT 5 times and it has never even

crossed my mind that the T pool area looks like a gym:eek:...a workout

place? Or a school gym?....neither. I am sorry the OP did not enjoy

themselves.

I love SUMMIT:D and honestly, I love that area.....it is not the

same as the S class ships but I really enjoy it.:)

As with all topics on here, everyone has differing opinions about

everything.....but as for looking likee a gym? Not in my opinon.

Hi There,

Does anyone have any photos they can post of the Summit cabins? Looking at Balcony options, but open to other ones as well, inside, oceanview, etc.

If there is a link to another forum that might have these pictures, can you steer me that way too?

Thanks!

OP here ...

Tile floors, plain white walls, very utiliarian looking, all enclosed & steamed up from the T-pool ... the Solarium was just not very appealing to any in our party, and that's usually where we all spend most of our pool time. But even though it was never crowded, there were people in it all the time, reading & using the T-pool. Very quiet. I can see that would appeal to some folks! And the furniture looked new.

By the way, I never said we didn't enjoy ourselves. We had a great cruise, we were just disappointed in some of the things about the ship.

OP here ...

Tile floors, plain white walls, very utiliarian looking, all enclosed & steamed up from the T-pool ... the Solarium was just not very appealing to any in our party, and that's usually where we all spend most of our pool time. But even though it was never crowded, there were people in it all the time, reading & using the T-pool. Very quiet. I can see that would appeal to some folks! And the furniture looked new.

By the way, I never said we didn't enjoy ourselves. We had a great cruise, we were just disappointed in some of the things about the ship.

Sorry I worded my reply wrong.:eek: I should have said sorry

you were disappointed. Glad you had a great cruise then:)

I just got off the same sailing as the OP, and with a few MINOR exceptions, the week was perfect. You're not on a private yacht here folks! Try being a little more laid back and take things as they come....you will have a better time.

• 2 weeks later...

My family was on the March 9th cruise of the Summit. We loved it. Yes the buffet area is not as nice as other ships, but it did not stop me from eating to much. I have to say that the pillows were pretty darn small. I thought they were about as big as the pillows my wife makes me put on top of our bed when we make it!!

I would sail the Summit again. I have no problems with it. My family enjoyed the time.

I hope OP finds a cruise line that they like better. We have found our favorite with X.

My family was on the March 9th cruise of the Summit. We loved it. Yes the buffet area is not as nice as other ships, but it did not stop me from eating to much. I have to say that the pillows were pretty darn small. I thought they were about as big as the pillows my wife makes me put on top of our bed when we make it!!

I would sail the Summit again. I have no problems with it. My family enjoyed the time.

I hope OP finds a cruise line that they like better. We have found our favorite with X.

I was on the same cruise as you and hated the buffet. I hated walking in a huge circle to see what was being offered and I prefer a buffet where I can serve myself. If X insists on serving people they need to have adequate staff at each station (the pizza station and salad bar rarely had someone behind the counter). As well, each station insisted on giving me a new plate...so if I visited three different stations then I would have three plates. I asked if I could use the same plate but was told no.

When they Solsisticed the Summit they should have blown up the current buffet and replaced it with one from an S class ship. Rather then a long line that circles the entire room it's made up of smaller stations. They have sufficient staff available to serve you but you can also easily serve yourself if you wish.

I love the S class ships so for future cruises we'll stick with those.

I see the OP has sailed several times on Prinsendam. What a lovely ship and great service. I had the good fortune to spend over a month on her a while back and she is fabulous! Definately a hard to duplicate experience.

Doing 15 nights on Summit April/May of this year. The only two things of any concern to me are pillows and availability of pool loungers. Because of a broken neck many years ago I MUST have a pillow that works for me so I always have a down pillow vacuum packed in my luggage. Now my only problem seems to be finding an available, clean pool lounger. I'll work on finding a vacuum bag for one of those. Think security will pass a suitcase carrying a lounge chair??? Maybe if I leave the blender and case of wine home... :rolleyes:

Archived