Short cruise in Caribbean Are they family friendly???

Hi there,

Would really like to do Disney and Caribbean cruise Easter 2014 and because of budget 'issues' we where thinking of doing a shorter 5 day cruise from Tampa next year on RCI. But have heard that they may not be so family friendly I.e party ships? Could anyone set me straight? Am I worrying for nothing or shouldn't take three kids on this cruise.

We will be coming from UK so long way and lot of money to spend if its not suitable.

Any info greatly appreciated. Will also post on family section if you guys think more appropriate.

5 day cruises out of Tampa on RCI are not party boats. They are beautiful Radiance Class ships and have great kids programs.

That said, if you book during party times, like Spring Break, you are more likely to be immersed in a party atmosphere.

I'm with those above. We've done RCI and Carnival at those times and I think that RCI tends to be more family friendly than Carnival during Spring Break. Also, I think the ages of the kids matters. My young children are fine, but I'd honestly think a little harder if they were teenagers.

At night there are places you might want to avoid, as dancing might be a bit more provocative, even around the pool deck. If they enjoy kids activities, I wouldn't consider it a waste. There will be plenty of things for them to do. If you have a big party crowd on your ship, the pool is not as crowded in the mornings. ;)

Teenagers will be a little drawn to the college kids.

Hi all thanks for getting back. Could you tell me when spring break is so maybe could avoid this time? We are looking to go very early May or late April 2014. Is this still classed as spring break??

Again thanks for you help.

Hi all thanks for getting back. Could you tell me when spring break is so maybe could avoid this time? We are looking to go very early May or late April 2014. Is this still classed as spring break??

In the US college spring breaks are almost always in March. Elementary school, up through high school, are usually the week before or after Easter.

Unless Easter is really late, late April/early May is a great time to cruise as most college students will still be in school.

We are looking to go very early May or late April 2014. .

You should be fine :) Thats the perfect time to cruise as well IMO.

No spring breakers to speak of. Seas are GENERALLY pretty calm. The Caribbean is warm but not too hot that you cant enjoy yourself and I could go on forever.

Most kids will break for Easter in the UK on 11.04.14 for two weeks.

After visiting Universal this August, we're linking a short 4 nighter on Enchantment on to our Oasis cruise. Personally, we think it's worth doing as much as you can after spending so much ££££ on airfare ;).

Next year our Spring Break is same as you, April 11 (but only for 1 week). Our children are grade-school age. Easter is later next year so there will probably be a lot of kids on their break right around this same time.

We're on Jewel in less than 3 weeks, during our Spring Break. I'm not overly concerned about "rowdiness", based on our past experiences on RCI. We are tacking on a few nights afterwards at Disney, and are prepared for horrendous crowds there. But we know the drill, as we've been there a couple times before during spring break, and know what we're in for.

I think you will be fine. Disney will be unbelievably crowded during Spring Break, you may be better off going late April/early May.

Hi there,

Would really like to do Disney and Caribbean cruise Easter 2014 and because of budget 'issues' we where thinking of doing a shorter 5 day cruise from Tampa next year on RCI. But have heard that they may not be so family friendly I.e party ships? Could anyone set me straight? Am I worrying for nothing or shouldn't take three kids on this cruise.

We will be coming from UK so long way and lot of money to spend if its not suitable.

Any info greatly appreciated. Will also post on family section if you guys think more appropriate.

I've done several shorty cruises with my husband; in fact, we have one coming up in May on Enchantment. Don't buy the nonsense that you hear about the "partiers". Are there people who enjoy a crazy good time on short cruises? Of course there are! Are they in the majority, and do they run rampant throughout the ship with wild abandon? Nope.

Even the smallest ships are large enough that you and your family can find spots where you can have a good time together, without all the confusion. Check it out...you'll be pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable your short cruise can be for your entire family!

Thanks so much for all your replies. Think we may go for the short cruise on Brillance of the Seas. It's quite a good price and I think it will mean we will be able to do Universal etc before the cruise and have a couple of days after in Tampa or near by. Need to research Tampa now!!

Again thanks for the help.:)

Archived