Explain "obstructed & partially obstructed"

Swampduck

Hi folks

I have booked for Aug 13 on the Silhouette, on an inside cabin, but I see I can book a veranda for the same price, can you tell me how bad is the Obstructed/partially obstructed cabins.... Are the lifeboats right in front of the veranda that you can't see ahead or does it just mean they are below that you can't see the sea?

I know this seems a stupid question, but I have trawled all sites trying to find this out.... oh BTW the cabins are on deck 6.

thanks for any info you can give me, I am going to contact the TA tomorrow to change our booking.

Debbie :o

Hi folks

I have booked for Aug 13 on the Silhouette, on an inside cabin, but I see I can book a veranda for the same price, can you tell me how bad is the Obstructed/partially obstructed cabins.... Are the lifeboats right in front of the veranda that you can't see ahead or does it just mean they are below that you can't see the sea?

I know this seems a stupid question, but I have trawled all sites trying to find this out.... oh BTW the cabins are on deck 6.

thanks for any info you can give me, I am going to contact the TA tomorrow to change our booking.

Same price? GRAB IT!

2Ds have the larger lifeboats--the "tenders" in front of them...but they only come up to about the height of the railing...so you can see over them...

2Cs have the smaller lifeboats--they only come up to about the level of the floor...so you just cannot see down well but across is no problem...

Also, some are better than others, depending on where they are in relation to the lifeboats...

The thumbnails below are of 2D...#6210...

As you can see, the lifeboat is only to one side...and the balcony is larger than usual because it is on the hump...

balcony6210.jpg.88bcee3347647407c9817aa2bcd462b4.jpg

6210-1.jpg.ac2f2d9cd7511a1261e76f0a5c998688.jpg

6210-2.jpg.a4af0169ea33bce2595265cf2a58646e.jpg

6210-3.jpg.27604367ce79e1332c951801edcd6029.jpg

Hi folks

Hi Debbie:)it really depends on the specific cabin.

I will give you an example....I had a cabin on Eclipse and it was

6303. I had a good view straight out but underneath my balcony

was the roof to Tuscan Grille. So I could not see down to the water.

The balcony itself was actually a bit larger than others...not sure if

you want to call it a full obstruction or not....no lifeboats in this

particular area so nothing blocking that for me.

It was a good price and so I booked it...was fine with me:)

Hi folks

It beggars belief, that this evening I have spent sorting out the cabins to go back on to them and the price has changed again, only they have went back up is this normal.. ? I will still ring the TA in the morning and see what they have to say...

It beggars belief, that this evening I have spent sorting out the cabins to go back on to them and the price has changed again, only they have went back up is this normal.. ? I will still ring the TA in the morning and see what they have to say...

Yes, prices can change......

So how do you know if a veranda has an obstructed or partially obstructed view? Does it tell on the Celebrity website?

On the Solstice class ships, if it's a category 2D, it's a major obstruction-- meaning it's behind the row of the larger tenders....if it's category 2C, it's a "partial obstruction"-- meaning it's behind the row of smaller lifeboats...though all of this varies a bit depending on where in relation to those life boats. Note the difference between the obstruction in A Sixth's photo and mine...both. Are 2D cabins...just situated differently in respect to the lifeboats...and others will be smack behind the center if a tender...

All of these cabins are on deck 6...

If you book the 'verandah for the price of inside' rate, you get a gty, and do not have a say in 2D or 2C...or whatever. I had booked a 2C partially obstructed on Silhouette for this May 22. A few days later, they had a Summer Solstice special and verandah gty was the same price as inside. I grabbed the downgrade and saved $1200+. I just today got my assignment, to a 2A verandah on the hump. EM

Any veranda will be less obstructed than your inside cabin ;).

If you can get one for the same price, take it!

Mike

DITTO! If you get the chance again, do not hesitate! 1st cruise was in 1987, only 1 time did we book inside, there will never be a second time :D

what a great resource this is. You ask a question about obstructed views and you get responses actually showing the differences in the different views. Several years ago we booked an "obstructed view outside cabin" on the Ryndam on a west coast repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver. We were steered to a "non obstructed outside view cabin" by a Holland America representative for a small additional cost. It turned out that the stateroom was at the very bow of the ship and was partially obstructed by a bulkhead. We endured the worst storm ever in that cabin-the Captain announced, during dinner that the ship was in no danger of sinking despite 20 ft seas and 40 knots head winds-my wife was using the barf bag at the time-her first time in over 40 cruises. Needless to say we have never booked again with a cruise ship representative.

Yes, they change often. And there seems to be no reason for it. You need to monitor your cruise several times daily if you can or subscribe to a site that will email you (for a fee) when the price changes.

The most important thing you need to know about cruising is that some computer is deciding pricing based on supply and demand.

You may very well find out that an unobstructed balcony cabin is the same as an obstructed balcony cabin. You may find that concierge class is cheaper than a regular balcony cabin. It is whatever is selling or not selling on that sailing.

If you book the 'verandah for the price of inside' rate, you get a gty, and do not have a say in 2D or 2C...or whatever. I had booked a 2C partially obstructed on Silhouette for this May 22. A few days later, they had a Summer Solstice special and verandah gty was the same price as inside. I grabbed the downgrade and saved $1200+. I just today got my assignment, to a 2A verandah on the hump. EM

Congrats! You got lucky...we also booked a guarantee...and got our assignment today as well....a 2C....(2Ds on our sailing have been sold out for some time...2Cs weren't selling as well since they had narrowed the pricing to where a 2B or even a 1C were within only a few dollars of the 2C price)...

Even so, I am happy since my price for the guarantee was considerably less than all of those categories have been selling for of late...even with the 1-2-3 promotions figured in...It's a port-intensive cruise, so I can live with a lifeboat view looking down...and a stanchion in my line of sight...

Once your gty cabin is assigned you may request to be moved to any available cabin in that same category.

We most recently did this on our 1/3 Connie sailing. Our assigned gty was a 2C 6039, but we requested and were changed to 6023- a "sweet 16" with larger veranda.

• 3 months later...
How is #6153 - the cabin in general and especially the view? It is in Category 2B, without view obstruction, but it (2B) is priced the same as a veranda guarantee. Thanks.

If you go to the sticky at the top of the Celebrity board and search 6153, there is a review of this cabin on Equinox which will be the same as your cabin. I'd post the link, but I'm on my tablet and don't know how to do it, or even if it's possible

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

If you go to the sticky at the top of the Celebrity board and search 6153, there is a review of this cabin on Equinox which will be the same as your cabin. I'd post the link, but I'm on my tablet and don't know how to do it, or even if it's possible

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks - I did find this info on the sticky but didn't know the cabin on Equinox is identical to the one on the Solstice.

Apparently this cabin is in category 2B on 3 of their Solstice-class ships, but it's in category 2D on the other 2 ships. Strange - I'm guessing it's due to difference in life boat placements?

Archived