CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

C = Cheaply built ships

+

C = Cheaply maintained ships

=

L = Lousy cruise line.

But fret not! HAL is quickly becoming what Carnival once was - a fairly decent mass market cruise line. AND it goes to Half Moon Cay, and the prices are not much more than CCL's were when it was a reliable line.

It wasn't always so, but it is what has happened. The new reality, courtesy of the owner of the Miami Heat.

Live report on HLN from reporter that is on vacation on the ship. He just now reported that there has been no communication at all this morning by the cruise director. He said she was pretty good communicating yesterday...but nothing this morning so far. The reporter, Kris Anderson, told HLN that they seem to have power but that some bathrooms don't work. He was hoping that there would be some announcements soon as to the status of the ship. He said that when the ship leaves port there will be two days at sea before they reach their destination.

Someone at CNN should tell him that they are flying planes in tomorrow. I cannot believe that CNN has this information but the passengers on the ship haven't been told!

Carnival, you're a joke!

Only refunding "non-refundable transportation related expenses". A hotel is not transportation. That means if you booked hotels before and after the cruise tough noogies, you're out the money you paid. Yet another debacle for Carnival, with the media talking about overflowing toilets and sewage all over the floors.

I can't recall an incident where a cruise line has flown their pax back to port on charters... can anyone remember such an incident? This is certainly precedent setting. Also, the contract allows CCL to just "dump" you anywhere, doesn't it?

Note to self- always bring passport and buy GOOD insurance coverage.

I just love people who want answers before the answers are available to give them. I'm sure Carnival is working on getting all the logistics worked out, some things take time when you are talking that many people. Have you people forgotten what patience is??? I'm sure they will communicate as soon as they have something to communicate. Give them enough time to figure it all out.....

These problems began last night. They had plenty of time to issue a preliminary press release.

The release filed 15 minutes ago was well written, but should have been a second release.

I was under the impression that CCL was 50% of the industry. Do you have stats available or a source you can refer me to?

Carnival Corp is 50%, not the cruise line. That pie chart is broken down to individual cruise lines, not the corporate umbrellas. Look how big the Costa piece is, also owned by Carnival Corp.

You forgot to mention what % of the industry each cruise line represents. Since CCL is by far the largest cruise line it stands to reason they will have by far the largest share of accidents, but it is not indicative of anything on its own.

The pie chart you posted is excellent. I have looked for one like it.

Thank you.

A whole lot of people saw another problem on Carnival today and said three strikes you are out. (Concordia, Triumph, today). Minor or major issue, Carnival is on the bad end of a PR nightmare.

You forgot CARNIVAL SPLENDOR. Lost power on the West coast and passengers were stranded onboard with no power for days. The Coast Guard reportedly air lifted Spam onboard.

Al these incidents (SPLENDOR; COSTA CONCORDIA; TRIUMPH; DREAM) are essentially on th same class of ship (dating back to 1996) and all built by Fincantieri. Yes Carnival likes to call them a different class, but slapping on additional decks of cabins does not equate to a new class of ship in my book. The basic general arrangement of all these ships dates back to CARNIVAL DESTINY. Using this same design over and over again for so many years seemed like the smart thing to do from a financial perspective, but it may come back to bite Carnival in the ass!

Carnival just called and said it was cancelled. Full refund, travel expenses, and 25% on next cruise. All we can do now is roll with the punches.

I wonder if CNN and the other media will tried to be blamed for this as well. :rolleyes:

I can't recall an incident where a cruise line has flown their pax back to port on charters... can anyone remember such an incident? This is certainly precedent setting. Also, the contract allows CCL to just "dump" you anywhere, doesn't it?

Note to self- always bring passport and buy GOOD insurance coverage.

NEVER travel abroad without a passport!!

This is all I need to be finished with Carnival.

They have too many maint. issues and safety has gone to pot. Good riddance CCL!

I'm guessing there's quite a few ppl thinking this way -myself included!

This crap is happening waaaay too often now.

This is either lousy maintenance or sabotage.

Orlando TV stations are reporting that the ship is disabled in St. Maarten, passengers have been housed in hotels, and that Carnival is beginning to fly passengers back to Orlando. No word on when the ship will return to Port Canaveral.

I think they should receive a FULL refund, not just a 3 day refund.

Assuming folks can make their travel arrangements in FL, I think a 3day refund is fair. Not good, but fair. A bit cheap of CCL which is just them being them.

Ticketing is one thing. Immigration and customs are another. All immigration and customs rules/regs/procedures apply the same to charters, private, and commercial operations.

I've taken a private flight starting in Kenya and another in Jamaica, both with private groups. I assume the list of people flying was given to someone but no, we just got on the plane. No one checked passports, tickets etc. I lost my passport in Jamaica and had to get out of the regular line to tell another person my sob story when going through customs on the way back. They half way listened, looked at my travel docs, and waived me through without batting an eye. So when they arrive in the US they will show whatever docs they have but largely chain of custody will be enough ie they are the same person that boarded the ship.

You mean cruise lines don't keep a spare ship hanging around IN CASE?

..Fully staffed? twiddling their thumbs? Waiting on the next once-a-month emergency call?

Fully stocked? with all that food?

No?

Geez, Louise, I'm surprised they don't! :eek:

Ok, here is an idea for those CC members with a few billion dollars sitting around waiting to invest,

Buy one cruise ship that will hold around 4000 passengers and park in near Florida, it could be used for round trip cruises to the Bahamas or something. then when the next ship breaks down in this are,

Super ship to the rescue, being the only one you can charge what ever you want to save the passengers that are TRAPPED on the ship.

I think they should receive a FULL refund, not just a 3 day refund.

I disagree. They had a good cruise, everyone should be back at the time they were supposed to be, no one will have any additional expenses (if they do, CCL should pick them up.)

I think that CCL does need to open the bars for a few hours or something though as a show of goodwill.

I was under the impression that CCL was 50% of the industry. Do you have stats available or a source you can refer me to?

Carnival Corporation & plc, which incorporates 11 cruise lines, is just under 50% of the total cruise market. Carnival Cruise Lines itself is nowhere close to 50%.

Archived