CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

We are on 3/23 sailing as well. Just talked to a very helpful rep at Carnival to ask her our options and she said as of right now, only 3/16 cancelled and to keep an eye on email as we would get notified ASAP if they thought the 3/23 may be affected. Hope that's true. I want to make other back-up arrangements ASAP! :(

Now that Carnival lets you hold your reservation for 24 hours, you could tentatively do this, on a daily basis, until you hear something definitive. Just an idea......I hope she sails for you!!!!! Otherwise, check out the Breeze or Liberty out of Miami for that week...3-4 hour drive from Orlando. Good luck, and keep us updated!!!!:D

This article isn't as negative as some articles.

FOX put "technical issue" in quotation marks which makes it sound like CCL is hiding something. The term "technical issue" is a terrible choice of words by CCL and needs to never appear in a press release again. FOX did quote CCL's statement from this morning which speaks directly to the concerns raised.

They quote some pax saying things are bad but also other pax that things are fine, and the latter sounds more credible.

Why would one question a CBP decision to waive normal air landing requirements and institute closed-loop requirements for passengers who departed on a closed-loop cruise? They do after all have a detailed passenger list. They know exactly who exited the country with BC & photo ID.

It seems to me that it would be the height of senseless bureaucratic red tape to insist that Dream passengers returning under what can only be considered emergency or extra-normal conditions conform to air landing requirements.

In fact the only reason I can see for insisting on additional screening would be a misguided attempt to encourage passport ownership.

They will probably face the same amount of screening that the Triumph pax did. Since I did not see any complaints about it from that incident, I am fairly confident it will be a non-issue here as well.

You are correct. Passport or not, every party will have to complete a 6059 Customs Declaration Form prior to landing and all will clear Customs in the same manner. The CBP agents are smart enough to know the circumstances and all persons will be cleared equally. The non passport holders did nothing illegal and they won't be punished for it. Passports are a non issue in this case.

A person who has their passport stolen while in transit has also done nothing illegal, yet they are subject to additional scrutiny--which given your logic, they shouldn't be. There's no reason that the passengers being repatriated by air without passports should be given any different treatment than the person who arrives missing a passport.

They will probably face the same amount of screening that the Triumph pax did. Since I did not see any complaints about it from that incident, I am fairly confident it will be a non-issue here as well.

The Triumph passengers didn't fly back.

You are mostly correct, but I have to correct one thing. The jurisdiction of the USCG does not begin at 12nm. They have full jurisdiction on that ship on the high seas if their voyage either originated or ends in the U.S. according to the Special Maritime and Territorial Jurisdiction of the U.S. (18 USC 7). This is a subject I am very familiar with. ;)

The USCG has jurisdiction for offences against US nationals wherever the vessel is, if it commenced or ended in the US. USCG is also mandated by the IMO as a signatory to the SOLAS agreements to board and inspect foreign flag ships for SOLAS regulations. The USCG came to the aid of the Tempest, in international waters, because they had essentially declared an emergency.

Even for US flag ships, the USCG does not have the jurisdiction to prevent a ship from sailing from a foreign port, it is the local coast guard that has precedence. The US flag ship is, however, required to notify the USCG of the equipment failure within 24 hours, and the USCG will decide what action the ship must take when entering US waters.

If you get on a commercial plane in a foreign country to fly to the US, you will need to show your passport to the carrier prior to boarding. This is not an INS or CBP rule, this is the carriers rule.

When you land, you will process through INS and CBP with your passport.

If you are flying a private plane or charter, you will not be asked for the passport--UNTIL YOU LAND, then you will process through INS and CBP like everyone else.

I never said you don't need a passport to enter the US. I said that INS and CBP don't see your passport--or require anyone else to look at it--prior to getting on a plane headed to the US.

I agree with you on the essentials, however, this is slightly overstated. CBP requires carriers to enforce the passport requirements before boarding; this is to avoid an inadmissable person from reaching US soil in the first place. If a carrier does not comply they will be fined, and if they repeatedly and willfully ignore the rule, they will be in more serious trouble.

I agree that the passport requirement is very likely to be waived but am curious to see how it will be done in this case. Do you have an example from past experience you can cite as a precedent?

The USCG has jurisdiction for offences against US nationals wherever the vessel is, if it commenced or ended in the US. USCG is also mandated by the IMO as a signatory to the SOLAS agreements to board and inspect foreign flag ships for SOLAS regulations. The USCG came to the aid of the Tempest, in international waters, because they had essentially declared an emergency.

Even for US flag ships, the USCG does not have the jurisdiction to prevent a ship from sailing from a foreign port, it is the local coast guard that has precedence. The US flag ship is, however, required to notify the USCG of the equipment failure within 24 hours, and the USCG will decide what action the ship must take when entering US waters.

True, but what you are saying is different from the meaning of my post. The jurisdiction of the USCG is very broad on ships with intent to enter U.S. waters, or even ships whose activites have a nexus to the U.S. (but thats a different topic). I was just pointing out that jurisdiction is not limited to 12nm.

But also, to your point about U.S. flagged vessels sailing into foreign ports, that part is not entirely true. Under certain circumstances, if sailing into that port violates U.S. law, the USCG can and will excercise it's authority to prevent it.

I agree with you on the essentials, however, this is slightly overstated. CBP requires carriers to enforce the passport requirements before boarding; this is to avoid an inadmissable person from reaching US soil in the first place. If a carrier does not comply they will be fined, and if they repeatedly and willfully ignore the rule, they will be in more serious trouble.

I agree that the passport requirement is very likely to be waived but am curious to see how it will be done in this case. Do you have an example from past experience you can cite as a precedent?

I don't have personal experience, as I don't leave the US without my passport and treat it like it's gold while I'm out of the country. I do know that if a passport is lost or stolen while in transit, the person will not be denied entry, however they will go through extra screening and questioning to prove they are who they say they are and their story is verified. It's no different than getting on a domestic flight without ID. You'll be allowed on, but you'll be subject to additional screening. (I know, different agencies, just using it as an analogy.)

I did know someone who lost their passport while they were in Germany about five years ago, they had to get a new passport issued at the US embassy before they could leave the country.

They don't want a repeat of the PR nightmare from the Triumph fiasco. They started off slow, and are now overcommunicating.

Indeed. I think they need to overcommunicate, given the media's taste for the "poop" in this story. CCL is really pumping out info. Here is their latest:

Information on Carnival Dream and Alleged Toilet System Issues

Posted on: March 14th, 2013 -

We have had multiple conversations with the ship's management team related to this subject. Based on the ship's service logs and extensive physical monitoring of all public areas, including restrooms, throughout the night, we can confirm that only one public restroom was taken offline for cleaning based on toilet overflow and there was a total of one request for cleaning of a guest cabin bathroom. Aside from that there have been no reports of issues on board with overflowing toilets or sewage. The toilet system had periodic interruptions yesterday evening and was fully restored at approximately 12.30am this morning.

Not over the top given the widely reported allegations of toilet issues which now appear to be overstated.

I don't have personal experience, as I don't leave the US without my passport and treat it like it's gold while I'm out of the country. I do know that if a passport is lost or stolen while in transit, the person will not be denied entry, however they will go through extra screening and questioning to prove they are who they say they are and their story is verified. It's no different than getting on a domestic flight without ID. You'll be allowed on, but you'll be subject to additional screening. (I know, different agencies, just using it as an analogy.)

I did know someone who lost their passport while they were in Germany about five years ago, they had to get a new passport issued at the US embassy before they could leave the country.

So now in this new senario, you have to have a passport to leave a country, you seem to go backwards and forwards on this issue:confused:

I agree with Davila,as for me I am loyal to royal never i will go on a carnival ship even if the fare is low or for free.:)

I'll be happy to go for free on CCL, but unfortunately no one has ever made me that offer. :(

A person who has their passport stolen while in transit has also done nothing illegal, yet they are subject to additional scrutiny--which given your logic, they shouldn't be. There's no reason that the passengers being repatriated by air without passports should be given any different treatment than the person who arrives missing a passport.

One presumes that a person traveling with a passport that is subsequently lost, stolen, or damaged does not have a BC and photo ID or any other means of establishing citizenship.

I believe your information is dated. Providing advance passenger information to CBP is now a requirement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Passenger_Information_System

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/inspections_carriers_facilities/apis/apis_final_rule_reqs.xml

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/private_flyers/private_flyers/

According to Carnival the problem was with the emergency backup generator, which was discovered during routine maintenance. They are not allowed to sail because of safety regulations concerning this equipment. They now have 9 days to fix it and sail back to Port Canaveral.

We are sailing on the 23rd on the Dream and at this point I am not worried. if the ship is still in St. Martin by the middle of next week then I will be worried.

Obviously none of us knows anything for sure yet, but since I am a betting man, I would bet that the cruise on the 23rd goes as scheduled. I say that knowing the resources that a company the size of Carnival can put towards this issue, and also guessing that the issue itself is fixable either in SXM or while sailing with crew only.

I would not be surprised to see a two day CTN sometime next week before the 23rd sailing.

Regardless of when, imagine how great the sailing back to Canaveral will be for the crew! Two days with no passengers to babysit.

Kevin C

I might be wrong, but I don't think any airline ever entered my passport info into a computer. Of course they have my name, etc.

If you are referring to US flights, this is not accurate. Airlines are required to submit your information thru the Secure Flight / APIS system and have you cleared by TSA to issue you a bording pass.

We were on a royal carb ship 3 years ago when something like this happened. They ignored us for 3 days. The toilet situation was nasty.

The only way we got any satisfaction was our room mate complained. We were in a grand suite. They ended only giving us 25% off what we paid on that cruise towards a future cruise. Carnival is being waaaaay more kind in the way they are handling this.

We were on a royal carb ship 3 years ago when something like this happened. They ignored us for 3 days. The toilet situation was nasty.

The only way we got any satisfaction was our room mate complained. We were in a grand suite. They ended only giving us 25% off what we paid on that cruise towards a future cruise. Carnival is being waaaaay more kind in the way they are handling this.

What Royal ship was held in port because of a problem like the one Dream is experiencing?

I believe your information is dated. Providing advance passenger information to CBP is now a requirement.

You are correct. Sorry for omitting this point.

I am curious how this will work for the flights home from St Maarten.

So now in this new senario, you have to have a passport to leave a country, you seem to go backwards and forwards on this issue:confused:

European countries are much stricter about passports entering and leaving their countries.

Why many european cruises require passports, even if they are closed loop, because the countries they leave from and countries en route require passports.

Where most Caribbean countries are not nearly as strict.

Bill

what exactly is working and not working on the ship?

The Carnival statement they had full primary power. Enough to drive propulsion and I presume enough to fully power the "hotel" side?

I heard that the main dining room(s) were closed. True? If so, why? It really seems that the ship is fully powered and simply lacks emergency power and that's the reason they won't sail.

Reposting CCL's FAQ

Q: What is going on with Carnival Dream? What happened?

While at dock in St. Maarten yesterday, the ship’s engineering team conducted a regularly scheduled test of the ship’s emergency diesel generator. A malfunction occurred which has rendered the emergency generator inoperable. At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power sources were not impacted. However, for a period of time last night, there were interruptions to the elevators and restroom services. Toilets and elevators are currently working, and have been since about 12:30am.

Q: Where was the ship when the problem occurred?

The Carnival Dream was at dock in St. Maarten during a regularly scheduled port of call visit and remains there currently. All passengers are safe and comfortable.

Q: Did the ship lose power?

At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power sources were not impacted.

Q: Why is the ship not able to sail back to Port Canaveral?

While the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power source were not impacted, in an abundance of caution, we prefer not to sail with guests on board without an operational back up emergency generator.

Q: Are the toilets and elevators working?

Toilets and elevators are currently working, and have been since about 12:30am.

Q: Is it true that toilets were overflowing and sewage on floors, in hallways, etc.?

We have had multiple conversations with the ship’s management team. Based on the ship’s service logs and extensive physical monitoring of all public areas, including restrooms, throughout the night, we can confirm that only one public restroom was taken offline for cleaning based on toilet overflow and there was a total of one request for cleaning of a guest cabin bathroom. Aside from that there have been no reports of issues on board with overflowing toilets or sewage. The toilet system had periodic interruptions yesterday evening and was fully restored at approximately 12.30am this morning.

Q: Are guests allowed to get off the ship?

Guests have the option to get off the ship to visit the port of St. Maarten until their scheduled return home. We have also arranged complimentary water taxi service for guests who wish to explore other areas of the island.

Q: What is going to happen with the guests from here?

All guests are being flown via a combination of commercial and private chartered air to either Orlando, which is the closest air gateway to Port Canaveral, or to their final destination depending on their individual needs.

Q: Is it true that Carnival is flying everyone to Miami and putting them on buses?

No.

Q: What kind of compensation will they receive?

Guests on the current voyage will receive a refund equivalent to three days of the voyage and 50 percent off a future cruise.

Q: Are you cancelling future cruises?

We have cancelled the ship’s next voyage which is scheduled to depart on Saturday, March, 16. Guests scheduled to sail on this cruise will receive a full refund and 25 percent off a future seven-day cruise. Guests who re-book will have their current rate protected on the future sailing. Additionally, any non-refundable transportation related expenses will be reimbursed.

Q: How many passengers and crew are onboard?

There are 4,363 guests and 1370 crew on Carnival Dream.

Q: What are you doing to help passengers without passports?

We have already addressed this issue with the relevant authorities and the guests will not have an issue traveling without passports."

We are sailing on April 6 and I would not be worried about any dates past next week.

I ran a quick calculation (cause that is what I do!) if there are 4200 passengers at $500 each (low estimate?) then Carnival would be missing out on 2.1 million worth of revenue for each week that this boat does not sail.

I think for that amount of money they will be more than happy to pay for overnight shipping for whatever part or or a whole new generator if needed!

Yeah, and 2 days from now you'll see someone else posting here, "Do I really need a passport?"

And the answer is no you do not need a passport for a closed loop cruise. The people on the triumph did not complete a closed loop cruise since they returned to Mobile. Immigration and customs had waivers for all. The chartered flights for the Dream will be the same and most likely the non passport people will be home and cleared before the passport people. This happened to us on a Royal ship in the late 90's. Nonpassport people were processed first. All you people with passport fetishes need to get over it.;)

Archived