Carnival Legend having problems??

pixiedustdawn

Since this was our first cruise can you tell me what to expect...what are our options? Has anyone had there cruise cancelled on such short notice before? When would we be notified?

Tytin,

When is your cruise? I don't think you can cancel because you're afraid of mechanical issues.....unless the cruiseline cancels it themselves. If that's the case, you could be notified early on, or last minute, is my guess, but I've never had that happen.

Can we say bad week for Carnival? Lol!

Sorry folks.

Carnival Legend is experiencing a technical issue with one of the ship's Azipod units that is affecting the vessel's sailing speed. The ship's safety systems and hotel services are all functioning normally.

The vessel made its scheduled call today in Mahogany Bay, Roatan, in addition to visiting Cozumel and Costa Maya earlier in the week. Because of the reduction in sailing speed, tomorrow's visit to Grand Cayman has been cancelled and the ship will proceed to its homeport of Tampa, where it is expected to arrive on Sunday as scheduled.

Guests on the current voyage will receive a $100 per person credit and a full refund on pre-purchased shore excursions for Grand Cayman. In addition, guests will receive 50 percent off a future Carnival cruise.

Carnival Legend is currently on the last leg of a seven-day Caribbean cruise that departed Tampa on Sunday, March 10.

50%!?!?! FOR MISSING A PORT?! sheesh.

I think they missed two, Belize and grand cayman. But I agree, that is a very generous offer. Carnival is bleeding money at this point with all the money being refunded from the triumph, whatever the dream people get and now this. Even as large of a company as they are those are huge financial losses.

OK, I figured it was CNN. Aren't they the sources who's referring to the Dream right now as a floating sewage system or something, even while passengers ON the ship are saying it's complete bull? Their credibility is a little shaky with me right now :)

And that other website, while possibly valid, I'm not sure, it looks like it was created by my husband back in 1995. And their info comes from "a reader" (who also posted here? And it's their only post?) and not anyone official.

Not saying anyone here is lying at all, I think I'll wait to hear it right from Carnival. But thanks for providing that stuff for me, I appreciate it and feel a LOT better about this all now.

Yeah. Because this is a hot news story.

And it's only a story because of the Dream . . .which wouldn't be news except for what happened to the Triumph.

Just rolled my eyes when Chuck Scarborough on WNBC announced the "breaking news" about the Legend. Tempest in a teapot.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

The news about the Legend just made our local news. One of their reporters is sailing on the Dream this week and reporting "live" about his experience on the Dream. So after they did a live report with him about the Dream they went into a did a short story about another Carnival ship, the Legend, having problems also.

And it's only a story because of the Dream . . .which wouldn't be news except for what happened to the Triumph.

Just rolled my eyes when Chuck Scarborough on WNBC announced the "breaking news" about the Legend. Tempest in a teapot.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

The problem is not the severity of these issues, the dream people are fine as I'm sure the legend people are with the ships having no power issues. The issue is now the fact that regardless of the specifics on board, three ships have now had mechanical problems in a month.

And when people see this type of thing it does make you question their maintenance.

I think you're right. CCL is under the media microscope right now and something that would have passed unnoticed last year will get a lot of attention.

The news about the Legend just made our local news. One of their reporters is sailing on the Dream this week and reporting "live" about his experience on the Dream. So after they did a live report with him about the Dream they went into a did a short story about another Carnival ship, the Legend, having problems also.

I saw that too.

This is getting ridiculous.

Triumph, Elation, Dream, Legend.

I believe the elation was also having trouble with their azipod unit this week, so doesn't that make FOUR ships?! I leave on the elation monday. I've never been nervous about cruising before, but I'm starting to get a bit anxious...

Reply to Kristi and others.

I am a seasoned cruiser. Been cruising since the early 80's. One of Carnivals most loyal. I'll be damned if I'm forced to take a cruise with known issues. We r taking first time cruisers with us, and I do not feel comfortable at all right now being a Carnival cheerleader for our friends. My husband and I are literally sick about this. Emailed our travel agent and also emailed John Heald. I know what my options are at this moment. Hoping I have more options by tomorrow. I would bet a large sum of money the next sailing is cancelled. Never ever thought I would be in a position like this days before a cruise.

Yeah, this is a tough one and understand your position. In some way you feel there like or dislike of cruising and Carnival lays in your hands.

About two months ago prior to even the Triumph fire someone where I work was talking to me about taking a cruise for his honeymoon. When asked about some recommendations I told him about a couple Royal Caribbean ships to look into. I wasn't even going down the Carnival route with him or recommendations. Carnival has done right by me and I've enjoyed every single Carnival cruise I've been on, some better than others. Now please note I've primary cruised Carnival but had decided even before my last Carnival cruise this past December I would not be cruising Carnival during 2013.

A Few days later my co-worker came back and asked me about the Carnival Freedom and advised he had book his honeymoon cruise on it. Of course I had nothing bad to say as I've enjoy both my cruises on the Carnival Freedom, in fact I think its one of my favorite Carnival ships. After the conversation I had a knot in my stomach. Then thought to myself as much as I liked Carnival Freedom and have had for the most part great experiences with Carnival a change is in order and I have a harder time recommending something I no longer find having a wow factor and now all the recent technical issues. Then another co-worker is off on the Carnival Sensation this week, when he was telling me that was where he was going on vacation this week, I got that knot again. Someone near us at the time of the conversation mentioned something about the Triumph fire and he said yeah, I know that happened the day after they booked. I said have a great cruise. What else could I say? :rolleyes: Chances are slim another issue could happen, all was well, I forgot about it. Good luck in what you end up doing.

Things do happen... but so many "Things" in such a short period of time, even the most positive thinking and go lucky people raise a red flag to be cautious and re-evaluate. Is there more to this?

Happy cruising!

The problem is not the severity of these issues, the dream people are fine as I'm sure the legend people are with the ships having no power issues. The issue is now the fact that regardless of the specifics on board, three ships have now had mechanical problems in a month.

And when people see this type of thing it does make you question their maintenance.

Exactly!!!

I think you're right. CCL is under the media microscope right now and something that would have passed unnoticed last year will get a lot of attention.

And unfortunately it should take these kinds of problems, across the fleet, for these to have addressed. They should be addressed when they are first seen, or bet yet, double checked if they're going unnoticed.

I called CCL and got the hotline for customer service to find out more. Waited 58 min but finally got through only to be told there are no known issues with the Legend. I shared what I had heard from a passenger and now am reading on CNN about the Legend, and they said it is usually on the CNN before the customer service people are informed! No exaggeration here, that is what he told me. I am new to cruising and just trying to find out what is going on since my daughter is on the ship and I have lost contact...but seems CCL has serious some work to do on preventing and handling these kinds of events.

None of these problems have been proven to be lack of maintenance. If you have info to the contrary, please post it.

None of these problems have been proven to be lack of maintenance. If you have info to the contrary, please post it.

I didn't say it did. I said it automatically makes people question the maintenance. It's no longer an isolated incident.

Archived