Passport Book or Passport ID Card

seajay312

Can anyone tell me if you can take the new passport ID cards on cruises in the Southern Caribbean instead of the passport book?

Yes you can... but in case of an emergency, you won't be able to fly back into the US with the passport card. If you have a book, take it with you.

Yes you can... but in case of an emergency, you won't be able to fly back into the US with the passport card. If you have a book, take it with you.

a) Yes if it is a closed loop cruise (returning to the same USA port)

b) If you have to fly back from San Juan or St. Thomas, it can be used to fly to the mainland because you are already in the USA.

And a footnote. Once you board the ship the best place for your passport is locked safely in your cabin safe. There is absolutely no reason to take it with you into a port of call. If it makes you feel better take a copy with you ashore.

And a footnote. Once you board the ship the best place for your passport is locked safely in your cabin safe. There is absolutely no reason to take it with you into a port of call. If it makes you feel better take a copy with you ashore.
I agree and we bring photo copies with us in foreign ports, but if you are traveling in South America, you will need to give your passport to Princess. They handle immigration for you at ports. As an aside, I put my passport in my back pocket one time and it was creased when I sat down. The passport number can no longer can be scanned and must be entered manually slowing down the process :(

If you go on a Carnival cruise anywhere take your passport book :p. You might need to fly home early.
You can't fly with a passport card although it will provide you with a government-issued ID.

Some ports require you to have your passport on you when onshore so saying that you never need it onshore isn't correct. Not in the Caribbean, though.

You can't fly with a passport card although it will provide you with a government-issued ID.

Some ports require you to have your passport on you when onshore so saying that you never need it onshore isn't correct. Not in the Caribbean, though.

Eqypt and Russia being two of them.

I check in with my card, and take the card ashore with me in the Caribbean. BUT! I always have the book with me - in the safe. Of course, anywhere outside the Americas and Caribbean, the book is still the only way to go.

I predict the card will eventually replace the book as the technology catches up around the world.

I predict the card will eventually replace the book as the technology catches up around the world.

They'll have to figure out how to record and verify visas before the book is ever replaced. I don't see any government allowing another to implant chips into a passport book....

I have heard this advice many times and I have heard that ship security leaves passports with port security for those left behind, but how do they know your passport is in the safe? Is it SOP for them to check the safe of any missing passenger before they sail? Hope I never have to find out the hard way:eek:

I have heard this advice many times and I have heard that ship security leaves passports with port security for those left behind, but how do they know your passport is in the safe? Is it SOP for them to check the safe of any missing passenger before they sail? Hope I never have to find out the hard way:eek:
Yes. The first place they look is the safe as just about everyone puts their passport, valuables, extra money and credit cards, and ID in the safe. Don't know of anyone who doesn't.

...As an aside, I put my passport in my back pocket one time and it was creased when I sat down. The passport number can no longer can be scanned and must be entered manually slowing down the process :(

I have carried my passport many times in my back pocket and have never had a problem...so far! It is slightly deformed (actually looks like a dish) but it still works.

We scan the photo and signature pages of our passports and print them reduced to credit card size (after folding) on glossy photo paper. Those go in our wallets permanently. While not official documents, they do give some comfort in ports where the ship keeps the originals.

The thinking here is that if you do get in some kind of extraordinary situation, authorities will have familiar evidence of who you are, where you are from and that you do have a valid passport.

Indeed, they have been accepted in some situations requiring a passport. One that comes to mind is getting VAT refunds in some places.

I never go ashore without my passport. If something should happen you just might need it.

On some itineraries the ship holds your passport for some of the cruise so it is not available to you at every port.

We were on one ship where a passenger's passort was lost/stolen while ashore and he was not allowed to continue on the voyage as the next country required 100% of passengers' passports to be available for inspection.

On some itineraries the ship holds your passport for some of the cruise so it is not available to you at every port.

We were on one ship where a passenger's passort was lost/stolen while ashore and he was not allowed to continue on the voyage as the next country required 100% of passengers' passports to be available for inspection.

Good illustration of the relative risks of taking a passport ashore vs keeping it in the safe.

IF the passport is definitely required to proceed with the voyage or to return home - then I would not take the passport ashore unless required by law. This is because the risk of theft/loss/damage is several times higher than the risk of missing the ship.

They'll have to figure out how to record and verify visas before the book is ever replaced. I don't see any government allowing another to implant chips into a passport book....

That's a very easy thing to do with today's computer technology. The card and book are scanned and go to the central computer system each time you use it even now. It just takes for other countries to implement the technology to read a standardized code.

The card will be easier to read and use than the book - eventually.

That's a very easy thing to do with today's computer technology. The card and book are scanned and go to the central computer system each time you use it even now. It just takes for other countries to implement the technology to read a standardized code.

The card will be easier to read and use than the book - eventually.

There is no central world-wide data base for passport and visa information. Nor will there ever be one.

Thus, the visa information either needs to be stamped in a passbook or somehow written to a chip on a card.

And if it can be written to a chip on a card, that means it can also be erased accidentally.

Archived