Family Picking us up at Ship Pier

shoesonfire

We are planning to spend time with family in NJ after our cruise and wonder if they can easily pick us up at the ship? We are disembarking from the Summit in June on a Sunday morning. What directions can I give to make it as simple as possible?

Or they can pick you up across 12th Avenue and then they can call you with their exact location. That's what we have our relatives do. We find it a bit hectic with the drop off/pick up especially if there is more than one ship in port. jmo

OP is arriving in Bayonne.

Op - your Rahway relatives should know how to get to exit 14A on the turnpike. Here are the port directions from the toll plaza. They should NOT use GPS.

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. They reconfigured this area earlier this year. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

• 5 weeks later...
They should pick you up at the tent-like structure that is in front of the cruise terminal building. That is where pick ups and drop offs are done. They can't miss it...all they have to do is follow the line of traffic.

Is there an area nearby that family could wait until we are off the ship and then we can call them? Most airports have a cell phone waiting lot. Was wondering if the port had anything like that.

Is there an area nearby that family could wait until we are off the ship and then we can call them? Most airports have a cell phone waiting lot. Was wondering if the port had anything like that.

lots of places along the side of the road into the pier area...they will see LOTS of vehicles waiting...OR they could park next to the ship, close to the 9/11 memorial...instead of following the traffic (once in the pier area) left to the tent, turn right (there are small signs for the memorial...there usually is someone directing traffic right there, just turn right...if they ask, say they're going to the memorial...)

it will make sense when they see it...there is usually a big electronic sign that says "cruise ship parking" or something....with a left arrow. Well, if they go RIGHT by the sign, they'll see a small parking lot...(adjacent to the dry dock)

There's a little shopping center (strip mall) just a few hundred feet down on Rt 440 from Goldsborough Dr. There's a coffee shop, a McDonalds (or Wendy's or something like that) a Marshall's or TJ MAxx, a grocery store, a card shop, a book store, blah, blah, blah. It takes less than 5 minutes to get from there to the ship. My sister and b-i-l came TA on the "Silhouette" last year and there was a bit of a snafu. I arrived around 10:30, but they did not even START to get off the ship until 1PM. The little shopping center is where I spent 3 hours! THere is also a nice walk from that parking lot that goes out along the water and along a golf course. Nice paths and bridges and that was a good way for me to kill 45 min to an hour! My sister cell-phoned (is that a verb?) me when they were ready to be picked up and as I said, it took 5 minutes from that parking lot to get to the pick-up area.

Archived