Cunard Dress Code change: Formal and Informal

Salacia

Kathy, I did read somewhere in the new guidelines that guests not in formal attire were able to dine in the buffet areas and be in the winter garden but were restricted from other areas.

I saw it, too. But I find it interesting that the info that it wasn't in the info got from Lake Barcroft Sailor's TA. Unless maybe that was the TA's summary...

"Less formal attire" on formal evenings. So how much less formal can you be in the casual restaurants? Is there a minimum dress code for these restaurants on formal nights, or is anything OK? And what about informal nights? Is the minimum dress code (if one exists) for these restaurants the same as for formal nights, or does it get even more casual? This really doesn't give people much guidance.

Also note that there is no statement about not being in other public areas on formal night if you're not dressed according to the formal dress code, although we've seen that in other versions of the new dress code.

Agreed that having multiple different wordings of the dress code from different sources has led to more than a bit of confusion and there is plenty left open to interpretation.

Based on what we have seen elsewhere, my interpretation of the minimum dress code for the casual restaurants (King Court/Lido buffets and Winter Garden/Garden Court bars) every evening is anything better than "shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men)". Mind you that's just my interpretation. Others reading the same information from Cunard could certainly reach a different conclusion.

Regards,

John.

I think the move is very sensible and combines the reality of 21st century attitudes with the best of Cunard traditions. The reality is that Cunard has to attract and retain customers across the board (and world) ... not just Brits and (some) colonials stuck in the 1950s wistfully trying to recall an age that has gone.

This approach, which would not have been adopted by Cunard without in-depth market research, is sensible. Well done Cunard!!

You may be right. The result, as they say, will be in the pudding. But as the questions people are raising about the new dress code reveal, Cunard has not done a very good job explaining just what the new code is. This being the case, it's very hard to predict what, if anything, it will accomplish.

If the new code merely tweaks the old, will that be enough to attract hordes of new passengers? If, on the other hand, it is the beginning of a slide to greater and greater informality, will Cunard lose the distinctive character that is an essential part of its appeal? The answers aren't obvious.

As for market research and nostalgia for the 1950s, don't forget that it was flawed market research that helped bring us the Edsel, and very few would want to sail on that!

You may be right. The result, as they say, will be in the pudding. But as the questions people are raising about the new dress code reveal, Cunard has not done a very good job explaining just what the new code is. This being the case, it's very hard to predict what, if anything, it will accomplish.

If the new code merely tweaks the old, will that be enough to attract hordes of new passengers? If, on the other hand, it is the beginning of a slide to greater and greater informality, will Cunard lose the distinctive character that is an essential part of its appeal? The answers aren't obvious.

As for market research and nostalgia for the 1950s, don't forget that it was flawed market research that helped bring us the Edsel, and very few would want to sail on that!

The problem with market research is that they tend to focus on non-users of a product. So they're asking people unfamiliar with the product how to improve it.

They ask non-cruisers or people who sail with other lines "What would it take to get you on a Cunard cruise?" And I know from observing market research sessions (not about travel), if you ask "what would you like" sorts of questions, people will ask for all kinds of things, many of them rather silly.

A market research consultant goes to lunch with his clients -- one is in the Marketing department, the other is in Operations. The three of them get in the car together. The Marketing manager immediately has his foot on the gas, the Ops guy has his foot on the brake, and the Survey guy is looking out the back window telling them where to go.

I think the move is very sensible and combines the reality of 21st century attitudes with the best of Cunard traditions. The reality is that Cunard has to attract and retain customers across the board (and world) ... not just Brits and (some) colonials stuck in the 1950s wistfully trying to recall an age that has gone.

This approach, which would not have been adopted by Cunard without in-depth market research, is sensible. Well done Cunard!!

Speaking of "the reality of the 21st Century", how relevant is the word "colonials"?

How revelant is a Victorian Ball, or an Ascot Ball to 'customers' across the world?

Why has some Trans-Atlantic Crossings been entended to include a port stop in Halifax? Here is a quote from http://www.cunard.com/destinations/regions/usa-and-canada-cruises/halifax-nova-scotia/

"The star-shaped fortress stands guard to this fascinating city. Stand beside Sir Samuel Cunard himself, our visionary Nova Scotia founder has been immortalised in bronze and again presides over his elegant, hometown waterfront..."

~End of Part One~

"Less formal attire" on formal evenings. So how much less formal can you be in the casual restaurants? Is there a minimum dress code for these restaurants on formal nights, or is anything OK? And what about informal nights? Is the minimum dress code (if one exists) for these restaurants the same as for formal nights, or does it get even more casual? This really doesn't give people much guidance.

Also note that there is no statement about not being in other public areas on formal night if you're not dressed according to the formal dress code, although we've seen that in other versions of the new dress code.

I agree completely that the "Booking Notification" Cunard is sending out is merely an exceedingly glib summary that only adds to the confusion. The "What to Wear" tab on the Voyage Personalizer does however contain the missing clause discussed above:

Any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

Interesting to note that in my personalizer, the tab on attire begins by recounting the old dress code, then lists the dates the new one becomes effective, and then goes on to describe said new code. Since the Voyage Personalizer is supposed to be, well, personalized, should it not know that I am embarking on May 10 and simply enumerate what is in effect as of that day? Perhaps Cunard feels the need to repeat what was originally printed on the documents provided to me at the time of booking in order to emphasize its obsolescence.

Agreed that having multiple different wordings of the dress code from different sources has led to more than a bit of confusion and there is plenty left open to interpretation.

Based on what we have seen elsewhere, my interpretation of the minimum dress code for the casual restaurants (King Court/Lido buffets and Winter Garden/Garden Court bars) every evening is anything better than "shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men)". Mind you that's just my interpretation. Others reading the same information from Cunard could certainly reach a different conclusion.

It appears this area is now for what Mr. Shanks calls "at the Captain's discretion" on certain nights. On my crossing two years ago the nominal rule was that the $10 alternative Kings Court dining was Elegant Casual each night--but the Daily Programme contained a note that jackets would not be required. Let us just hope that the memo regarding evening dress placed in one's stateroom upon embarkation will contain some sort of guidance for how the ship has chosen to interpret "less formal" and that said guidance will apply on all nights. I think it is safe to conlcude that the plan is for each of the three ships to concoct their own version of specific guidelines and enforcement as this creature evolves.

Has anyone with a current booking been notified of the change, either by Cunard or their travel agent? I have a cruise booked in about six weeks and would be blissfully unaware of the new dress code had I not happened across it on here.

The voyage personaliser has been updated but many Cunard passengers do not have the Internet and, if they have, would not think to re-check the dress code having viewed it once when they made their booking.

Annie

Has anyone with a current booking been notified of the change, either by Cunard or their travel agent? I have a cruise booked in about six weeks and would be blissfully unaware of the new dress code had I not happened across it on here.

The voyage personaliser has been updated but many Cunard passengers do not have the Internet and, if they have, would not think to re-check the dress code having viewed it once when they made their booking.

Annie

Cunard sent me an email on Wednesday about it.

Hopefully I will not need a memo to tell me what to wear, when to wear and how to wear. Being aware of when there are formal nights is enough for me, plus we will try to join in when there are fancy dress evenings.

Formal is formal

Other nights = for me it will be jacket and tie. No confusion for me although it might confuse security staff employed solely to enforce the unenforcable :)

Annie

I received an email from Cunard (UK) on Thursday for our crossing on 26 April. The wording was virtually identical to that posted by Lake Barcroft Sailor in post #272

Hopefully I will not need a memo to tell me what to wear, when to wear and how to wear.

No, you won't need a memo as (I assume) you're male. However, as the new informal code seems to range from jeans (not blue/worn) to cocktail dresses, it is far more confusing for ladies who wish to conform/fit in but are not being helped at the moment.

BTW, I don't need a memo either, as I've cruised with Cunard several times and shall simply continue wearing what I've always worn. My thoughts are directed at those who are cruising with Cunard for the first time.

Annie

Thanks - did it make the new code any clearer?

Did you book direct or with a travel agent?

Annie

Mine came from Cunard although I had booked with a TA. I actually received 2, one in German and 1 in English. It was the same as Lake Barcroft's

Annie

Annie - I am booked on QE next Sunday and have not heard officially from either Cunard or the TA I booked through of the change of dress code - other than on the Voyage personaliser. Bearing in mind that mine is the first cruise affected I am somewhat annoyed that we have heard nothing direct. As you rightly say had I not seen this forum I would have been blissfully unaware too! Even using the VP I would not actually have checked as I am used to Cunards' (Old!) dress codes.

As an aside, are you also aware that the Auto gratuities go up next week too? That information is very well buried in VP! Again I would not have known but for this forum.

As an aside, are you also aware that the Auto gratuities go up next week too? That information is very well buried in VP! Again I would not have known but for this forum.

Many thanks - I had also read it on here but had forgotten all about it and certainly hadn't noticed it on the VP.

Have a wonderful cruise, in spite of Cunard's lack of information and consistency:)

Annie

No, you won't need a memo as (I assume) you're male. However, as the new informal code seems to range from jeans (not blue/worn) to cocktail dresses, it is far more confusing for ladies who wish to conform/fit in but are not being helped at the moment.

BTW, I don't need a memo either, as I've cruised with Cunard several times and shall simply continue wearing what I've always worn. My thoughts are directed at those who are cruising with Cunard for the first time.

Annie

Annie, I agree with you. I've read several media reports on this change in dress code where the focus is solely on what it means to men. Here's one example:

"To Tie or Not to Tie

What's next? Jeans with holes in the knees? Renowned for its refined dress code, Cunard is "keeping up with the times" by loosening up a bit on less formal nights. Starting now, men can choose to go tieless on four to five informal evenings. Mind you, jackets are still required." copied from

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=5292

Well, no matter, the most important thing is that you have a very enjoyable voyage:) Best wishes, -S.

In my experience it was not uncommon to see men sans tie and jacket, in dockers and trainers inj all areas of the ship on formal evenings. In the minority certainly but nonetheless present. This was on all 3 Cunard vessels. I suspect that the new code will simply see an increase in their numbers. I have never seen anyone challenged in the Commodore Club, Queens Room, theatre or anywhere else for that matter. The writing is on the wall, plain for all to see,so much as it may be deplored it is inevitable that the informalisation of Cunard will continue apace. That is not to say that one should conform to this relaxation if one does not wish to do so.

G.

Just a few days ago on QE,

Senior offices Cockail party, saw quite a few wearing shorts and t shirts, even though the invite made it clear that shorts would not be acceptable dress - all attendees were Diamond Members , so it they should have known better.

Elegant casual night , saw female come into the Britannia for dinner with BARE FEET. No one stopped her, assume that was normal for her. Rest of her outfit was t shirt and long flowered skirt. Not elegant but obviouly comes under the heading as ordained by Mr Shanks as "informal"!

Senior offices Cockail party, saw quite a few wearing shorts and t shirts, even though the invite made it clear that shorts would not be acceptable dress - all attendees were Diamond Members , so it they should have known better.

Elegant casual night , saw female come into the Britannia for dinner with BARE FEET. No one stopped her, assume that was normal for her. Rest of her outfit was t shirt and long flowered skirt. Not elegant but obviouly comes under the heading as ordained by Mr Shanks as "informal"!

Hmm, I don't believe the dress code says anything about ladies' footwear. So if they don't say you MUST (oops, sorry, SHOULD) wear shoes, I suppose one could defend going barefoot as being "according to code."

You have roused my interest regarding the officers wearing shorts..

Was this after 6pm and if so I am surprised?

Archived