Cunard Dress Code change: Formal and Informal

Salacia

If folks are invited then surely it is just plain good manners to dress in the correct attire?

Why must folks go out of their way to be rude and then criticise those that are simply playing the game in the spirit it is meant to be played?

Those that advocate they can wear what they want.... Would they be happy if I sat at their dining table, lit up a cigarette and continually blew smoke in their face? Why should I comply with a code that dictates I cannot do something I want to do, or is it a case of doing what suits me and flouting those codes I might disagree with?

I am very much a shorts type person but there is a time and a place... Whisky, rum, brandy.. any short works for me :)

If folks are invited then surely it is just plain good manners to dress in the correct attire?

Why must folks go out of their way to be rude and then criticise those that are simply playing the game in the spirit it is meant to be played?

Those that advocate they can wear what they want.... Would they be happy if I sat at their dining table, lit up a cigarette and continually blew smoke in their face? Why should I comply with a code that dictates I cannot do something I want to do, or is it a case of doing what suits me and flouting those codes I might disagree with?

I am very much a shorts type person but there is a time and a place... Whisky, rum, brandy.. any short works for me :)

Exactly.

The cocktail party was at 11.30a.m, and did say "no shorts", yet some passengers seem to think that did not mean "them' also some men wore baseball caps (yes I did see one on backwards)

Since everyone there was a diamond member it really must be a case of "dumbing down.

This cruise was 18 days, with only 7 ports so why have a cocktail party in the morning,?Surely in 11 sea days they could have found one night "semi formal for instance during which to hold it.

This cruise was 18 days, with only 7 ports so why have a cocktail party in the morning,?Surely in 11 sea days they could have found one night "semi formal for instance during which to hold it.

I agree. Why would you schedule a cocktail party at 11:30 in the morning? There had to have been a better time (although that does not excuse people from disregarding the dress code).

The standard of dress must have been better on QM2, as I saw no dress code infractions at the Senior Officer's party held onboard at 11-15am on 4 March 2013. I was with one of the well known Cunard crowd from QE2 days and between us we would have noticed any dress code failings.

I get what you are saying glojo but I think the argument point isn't really valid. While I'm not buying into the "we paid for this cruise we can do what we want" discussion, we are not guests, we are clients. And someone wearing shorts or whatever in the dining room is distasteful, it doesn't compare with someone blowing smoke in my face at my dining room table.

I think there has been a cultural shift, and Cunard recognise this. There simply is not a large enough customer base of the original Cunard travellers to pay the bills. Sure, there are a lot of them, but not enough to run the fleet. They have to make concessions. And in the case of the QM2 and such like, that might mean improving the Kings Court area so that people are more inclined to eat there. For what it's worth, the buffet restaurants on RCL's Liberty of the Seas were miles ahead of Kings Court.

Maybe that's the key - improve the buffet area and people will eat there if they don't wish to fully conform to the dress requirements. But dress up a little. At the moment, I can't imagine bothering to remotely dress nicely in the Kings Court because really, it is a shambles. So why would you?

I get what you are saying glojo but I think the argument point isn't really valid. While I'm not buying into the "we paid for this cruise we can do what we want" discussion, we are not guests, we are clients. And someone wearing shorts or whatever in the dining room is distasteful, it doesn't compare with someone blowing smoke in my face at my dining room table.

I think there has been a cultural shift, and Cunard recognise this. There simply is not a large enough customer base of the original Cunard travellers to pay the bills. Sure, there are a lot of them, but not enough to run the fleet. They have to make concessions. And in the case of the QM2 and such like, that might mean improving the Kings Court area so that people are more inclined to eat there. For what it's worth, the buffet restaurants on RCL's Liberty of the Seas were miles ahead of Kings Court.

Maybe that's the key - improve the buffet area and people will eat there if they don't wish to fully conform to the dress requirements. But dress up a little. At the moment, I can't imagine bothering to remotely dress nicely in the Kings Court because really, it is a shambles. So why would you?

I understand what you are saying but the reality is we are cherry picking at codes we either want enforcing, or ignoring. If folks do not want to eat in the Kings Court, then that is there choice, no one puts a gun to their head.

No doubt other cruise lines might indeed have better dining areas, some might have worse but with respect that is a smoke screen that is trying to duck the debate.

When booking a cruise we are all fully aware of the terms and conditions and I FULLY and totally understand that some folks might not want to wear a dark coloured suit, that is their choice, their decision. They simply should avoid areas where this might be a requirement.

Why must a minority believe they have some sort of right to ignore the terms and conditions that are clearly laid down and are there for the enjoyment of those that book this type or style of cruise. It is wrong, rude, ill mannered and arrogant. I think it fair to suggest I dislike this attitude of cherry picking of codes\rules or laws.

To those that feel they have the right to ignore these codes then let me see you walk into a mosque wearing shoes!! Or does your cherry picking all of a sudden develop a conscience.

Why would we want to go into a mosque? When I visit a foreign land I enjoy looking at things of beauty, some of which may well be religious buildings, ladies will have to wear head gear when visiting certain locations, long dresses in others, these are all codes we should respect. Cunard have codes and all I am saying us we should respect them.

Why shouldn't I smoke where I want?

Why must I wear a seat belt when driving?

Why should I turn on the headlights of a car in certain countries in daylight?

Why must I wear a hard hat when on a building site?

I understand what you are saying but the reality is we are cherry picking at codes we either want enforcing, or ignoring. If folks do not want to eat in the Kings Court, then that is there choice, no one puts a gun to their head.

No doubt other cruise lines might indeed have better dining areas, some might have worse but with respect that is a smoke screen that is trying to duck the debate.

When booking a cruise we are all fully aware of the terms and conditions and I FULLY and totally understand that some folks might not want to wear a dark coloured suit, that is their choice, their decision. They simply should avoid areas where this might be a requirement.

Why must a minority believe they have some sort of right to ignore the terms and conditions that are clearly laid down and are there for the enjoyment of those that book this type or style of cruise. It is wrong, rude, ill mannered and arrogant. I think it fair to suggest I dislike this attitude of cherry picking of codes\rules or laws.

To those that feel they have the right to ignore these codes then let me see you walk into a mosque wearing shoes!! Or does your cherry picking all of a sudden develop a conscience.

Why would we want to go into a mosque? When I visit a foreign land I enjoy looking at things of beauty, some of which may well be religious buildings, ladies will have to wear head gear when visiting certain locations, long dresses in others, these are all codes we should respect. Cunard have codes and all I am saying us we should respect them.

Why shouldn't I smoke where I want?

Why must I wear a seat belt when driving?

Why should I turn on the headlights of a car in certain countries in daylight?

Why must I wear a hard hat when on a building site?

I am unsure of how many Cunard cruises you have been on?? I have only been on four - 3 starting out from Southampton and one starting out from Sydney. As far as I could see, most (all?) were dressed fairly much in accord with the "dress code" both day and night. I even spied what I think? might have been what the Brits call "Chavs"?? - on boarding, I did hear some tut-tutting about them from some "Middle Englanders" -- but as much as I saw of them, they were attired appropriately during the cruise. Of course, like MANY others on-board they were grossly overweight -- what I think is called "morbidly overweight" , so no amount of dress code could disguise that unfortunate fact.

There seems to be a lot of emotional theorizing, generalizing and hyperbole here these days - even more than usual. :)

Barry

This morning, I received my pre-voyage documentation from Cunard in Southampton for a cruise after the new dress codes come into operation.

It came as little surprise to note that the dress codes printed within assure me that I shall still be enjoying five formal, six semi-formal, and six elegant casual evenings...

And still no sign of my expected, and richly deserved, Q1.:(

Mary

There has been a slow but steady erosion of what I suppose we must call 'the niceties' in all areas of cruising over the last ten or so years. Inevitably it will continue because as someone has already pointed out there are not enough of the defendants of the standards of yesterday to fill theCunard boats. So the sooner people start regarding a cruise as just another type of holiday instead of some kind of life affirming time travel to a lost age of elegance then the better it will be for their blood pressure. The 1930's are not coming back folks, in fact the 1990's aren't even coming back. Let us unite and cast off the shackles of yesteryear along with our jackets and ties. Seriously though people the time is not far off when the tuxedo'd and bow tie'd will be a minority. Sad but true, it's a battle already lost

G.

There has been a slow but steady erosion of what I suppose we must call 'the niceties' in all areas of cruising over the last ten or so years. Inevitably it will continue because as someone has already pointed out there are not enough of the defendants of the standards of yesterday to fill theCunard boats. So the sooner people start regarding a cruise as just another type of holiday instead of some kind of life affirming time travel to a lost age of elegance then the better it will be for their blood pressure. The 1930's are not coming back folks, in fact the 1990's aren't even coming back. Let us unite and cast off the shackles of yesteryear along with our jackets and ties. Seriously though people the time is not far off when the tuxedo'd and bow tie'd will be a minority. Sad but true, it's a battle already lost

G.

My brain tells me you are so right but my heart tells me to not let this happen.

It is our generation that decides what is acceptable.

It is our generation that is letting standards slip.

And sadly it our generation that is complaining about falling standards ;)

I am all in favour of maintaining standards but like you so rightly point out... I would definitely NOT let this rule my life or allow it to raise my blood pressure.

I would not interfere with those that opt to ignore the correct codes of conduct BUT I would like to think that the staff employed to ensure that the correct dress is worn at the correct time is doing their job.

Lets rig a plank on the stern of the ship and all those that transgress would be asked to inspect that golden rivet that would be located just six inches after the plank ends!!

It might appear that this topic rules our lives but I am guessing the reality is that in the grand scheme of things, life is far to short to get obsessed by this.

Just shoot the miscreants and let's all move on :eek::rolleyes:

I love to see people dressed up for dinner and IMO it makes for a special evening. However, I would love to see a couple of evenings where gents could go without a jacket, just in smart trousers and shirt, and have a more relaxed evening. My DH always sticks to the dress code, but regularly removes his jacket in the dining room once seated as he can get too warm and then doesn't enjoy his meal, I would rather him dispense with the jacket and enjoy a great meal time, than sit there suffering miserably. Once he stands to leave the dining room, the jacket gets put back on immediately. That is the dress code, and he accepts it.

We had a conversation with a couple of the spa staff who predicted this would happen, The older Cunard customers are debarking off this cruising mortal coil, and the younger passengers who are replacing them still love the formal dress codes but also want to have the oportunity to relax a little on a couple of evenings too.

I love to see people dressed up for dinner and IMO it makes for a special evening. However, I would love to see a couple of evenings where gents could go without a jacket, just in smart trousers and shirt, and have a more relaxed evening. My DH always sticks to the dress code, but regularly removes his jacket in the dining room once seated as he can get too warm and then doesn't enjoy his meal, I would rather him dispense with the jacket and enjoy a great meal time, than sit there suffering miserably. Once he stands to leave the dining room, the jacket gets put back on immediately. That is the dress code, and he accepts it.

We had a conversation with a couple of the spa staff who predicted this would happen, The older Cunard customers are debarking off this cruising mortal coil, and the younger passengers who are replacing them still love the formal dress codes but also want to have the oportunity to relax a little on a couple of evenings too.

You state that your husband removes his jacket (and presumably his tie) once he sits at the table.

That is certainly not observing the dress code. It is called cheating .

I only partly agree with this sentiment - 10.30 would have been an even better time to start the cocktail party :cool:

The above was an attempted witty response to post #308 about cocktail party times - ruined by this stupid tappy-talk thing (and the fact that my mind is on other things so it wasn't that funny)

Live from the QE..... If there is a relaxed standard of formally among Cunard passengers, no one has told those with whom I am sailing as all appear to be dressed appropriately for each occasion. I have often thought Jimsgirl to be the unluckiest Cunard passenger ever, as she always seems to choose the sailing with the worst dress code offenders, from thongs in the dining room to shorts at cocktail parties. Luckily I managed to chose a sailing once again that has not attracted these heathens.

That being said, I'm hearing a lot of grumbling....from both US and British passengers, that there are "too many" formal nights (we have four on an 8 day crossing) so maybe there is an element that Cunard is trying to appeal to. However, when faced with such a disagreeable formality schedule, it appears that all are compliant, like it or not.

Disgraceful behaviour - doesn't he know that the sight of an unfettered shirt during dinner can cause fainting and apoplexy?

Not bad, this thread was started on March 18th, and yesterday I received this notice from Cunard regarding the new dress code for our upcoming crossing on May 25.

It read:

Cunard has introduced a new Dress Code Policy. Whilst keeping with the same frequency of formal nights, the policy has been simplified to

include just two classifications, Formal and Informal. Formal; Dinner jacket, tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentlemen. Evening or cocktail dress

for ladies. Informal; Jacket required, tie is optional for gentlemen. Cocktail dress, stylish separates or equivalent for ladies.

On Formal evenings, guests wishing to wear less formal attire may dine in our casual alternative restaurants (Kings Court and Lido) and enjoy

pre/post dinner drinks in the Winter Garden and Garden Lounge Bars.

For your day by day dress codes, please visit 'Your Voyage Information' on Voyage Personaliser at http://www.cunard.co.uk. This page can also be

found within the Travel Documents and Preparing to Go sections.

Thank you for your attention to this notification.

Rick

G.

Frankly, I never thought of a Cunard voyage as "some kind of life affirming time travel to a lost age of elegance". I thought of my voyages as a pleasant, relaxing get-a-way; a chance to sail the sea, see different places and meet new people.That my fellow passengers and I dressed very nicely in the evenings enhanced the atmosphere and created an environment that I found unique to Cunard.

"Casting off the shackles of yesteryear" - as you phrased it - will undoubtedly mean that changes are made to more than just the dress code, and that is a concern. Cunard is re-branding itself, and the final product might sell well. Then again, it might not. The battle is Cunards' to win or loose; I wish them the best. -S.

Everybody keeps posting that the "new generation" of cruisers won't want, or understand, dress codes. My granddaughter (aged 10) has already kitted out her travelling teddy bear with formal, semi-formal and elegant casual outfits. She has cruised once before on the Queen Elizabeth and all the dressing up-as she called it-was very special to her, hence the teddy wardrobe now.

Frankly, I never thought of a Cunard voyage as "some kind of life affirming time travel to a lost age of elegance". I thought of my voyages as a pleasant, relaxing get-a-way; a chance to sail the sea, see different places and meet new people.That my fellow passengers and I dressed very nicely in the evenings enhanced the atmosphere and created an environment that I found unique to Cunard.

"Casting off the shackles of yesteryear" - as you phrased it - will undoubtedly mean that changes are made to more than just the dress code, and that is a concern. Cunard is re-branding itself, and the final product might sell well. Then again, it might not. The battle is Cunards' to win or loose; I wish them the best. -S.

That being the case you have an extremely well balanced attitude to your cruising. There are those however who are constantly hankering after a past that existed mainly in their imagination, certainly for anyone who has only been cruising for the last 20 or so years. This is particularly noticeable among Cunard cruisers. I can't be bothered to count how many people have replied to this thread but in contrast to the number who sail with Cunard the number must be preceded by several decimal places. If Cunard rebrands down-stream as it were then there will be plenty of pax to whom this will appeal, maybe not the contributors to this forum who will be the losers. Hey Ho, that's the way the mop flops. What cannot be cured must be endured or else some other type of holiday must be found which appeals to the kind of client who are so vociferous on this board. And in all sincerity I say Good Luck with that.

G.

Archived