Live from the Pride

clarky

In general I think Seabourn has the most reasonable internet packages at sea including mass market lines. You can get a four hour package for $39.95 and that should be more than enough for a shorter cruise. And you can add extra hours for $10.

Thanks everyone for the information on the Internet. It seems as though there are enough options for keeping up to date with the outside world!

Where is your next port Nancy and Clarky?

Hi All,

We are now at sea after a wonderful day and a half in Mumbai. We used Mumbai Magic tour company and I would highly recommend them to any cruisers who have a stop in Mumbai. On our second day we ate a wonderful lunch at a local ladies house. She taught us how to cook Masarla Dosa, probably my favourite Indian food. The lunch was vegetarian and one of the best Indian meals I have experienced. During our tour we shopped for our Indian costumes for the Bollywood Rock the Boat night. It was wonderful to see so many guests dressed in Sari's or Punjabi Dresses. We even had a wonderful Gandhi. There was lots of dancing and every-one was having such a good time. I have uploaded most of the photos to the gallery link I posted earlier. Along with photos of our ports tours are some pictures of the wonderful seabourn food. On one of our stops at a local market, teaming with a multitude of people we spotted ReadheadNancy and her husband. I think most guests were as surprized as we were with Mumbai and what a great port it was to visit.

clarky, Thank you for the great photographs! We have friends who used Mumbai Magic and would definitely be happy to tour with them.

RHN, I hope you will be able to post your photographs, too.

Your itinerary is fabulous and reading your posts take me to places where I have wonderful memories. Thank you so much!!!!

I am certainly behind in reporting but that is not unusual when you get on Seabourn! I am going to try and catch up. Today we were at Sur, Oman. Not sure why we stopped...nothing to see. We had tried to google it and still couldn't find a thing. The ship offered a three hour tour and a few took it but most took the shuttle into town. We took the shuttle in and less than a hour later took the shuttle back. VERY hot and humid and the sun was fierce. The ship looked very good to us, and we really started to enjoy Sur from the Veranda with a wonderful lunch and then the pool!

We have had some good entertainment but did not see the clarinetist virtuoso Woytek (German) last night. Went to bed early. Kenny Smiles the comedian is on tonight. We saw him two nights ago and while skeptical of most comedians, he is wonderful...got a standing O. We won't miss his show tonight. The Lounge was packed and will be tonight, so that says a lot for him. If he is ever on you should go!! Will write more on previous destination I missed.

There are 152 departing in Dubai Friday but 20 couples staying on.

P.S. Not really sure how to post pictures, I guess I will leave that to Clarky.

We just had dinner in the Veranda. Can't sit outside anymore...security in effect. Sad because the weather is so beautiful in the evenings but safety is important and we are glad they are cautious. Our Asian Bistro evening was wonderful even being inside. I think Restaurant 2 on the small ships is SO much better than on the big ships and love the atmosphere better two. Restaurant 2 on big ships has never clicked for us.

Now have about 30 minutes before we can go hear Connie and Niels and then go see the comedian. Always hate the gap between dinner and program. Wish we could hear music somewhere. I have tried the slots but have not been lucky so I'm just relaxing on the computer.

I don't think I mentioned Connie and Niels had a special show the other night called "Scarborough Fair". It was a folk show and had lots of Simon and Garfunkel, etc. Niels spent time recording in Nashville and just loves it so after telling everyone to be sure and go to Grand Ole Opry, he said when he was there two men in their 80's played a song at a speed he could not do but he was going to do it at his own speed for the group. It was "Rocky Top". That's almost the state of Tennessee national anthem...it is the University of Tennessee's song. So that was fun. We rarely meet any Southerners on the Seabourn. On this trip we are the only ones. (we don't count Florida, since everyone who lives there is from somewhere else...mostly the East).

On to Muscat tomorrow. We are taking a ship's tour. I will report!

Hi Clarky: I have really enjoyed all your comments. Keep them coming and I hope that you are feeling better.

Hi Nancy: You know that I have enjoyed reading all your comments. Bonnie is pulling for your team to win the Trivia Contest. At a future time when you get back home, I will look forward to hearing from Bob on his thoughts of the shore excursions. Take good care of the Pride (our favorite Seabourn ship) – we will be on her during the month of September.

Dave

Hi Redheadednancy - Love your travelogue and we are thinking of the same cruise on the Legend next year. you mention that the outside veranda is closed some three days out of Dubai for security reasons in the evening - does this apply for other meals as well and what about generally being on deck or is the restriction limited to the hours of darkness?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Hi Redheadednancy - Love your travelogue and we are thinking of the same cruise on the Legend next year. you mention that the outside veranda is closed some three days out of Dubai for security reasons in the evening - does this apply for other meals as well and what about generally being on deck or is the restriction limited to the hours of darkness?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Hi Harvey. I have lost Clarky. She got off in Dubai and we have just caught up from five days of touring. Tomorrow is Salalah and THEN four days or so at sea, so I will catch up with some reporting after Salalah in two days. Yes the OUTSIDE portion of the Verandah closes at night and the Sky Bar is not available after 7:00 p.m. However everything else goes on as usual. Everything is open all day and we enjoy the ship as usual. We feel quite safe. The evening has not been a problem as we enjoy the dining room so much, it is not a hardship to eat there. Everything will open up as we get to a point in the Red Sea, but I'm not sure at one point. I know we are safer in Egyptian waters because they patrol their own.

It is a wonderful cruise. I would not have missed Indonesia, India, Oman for anything and am most excited to be heading into Jordan, Egypt etc. Who knows how many more years we will be able to do this. I think the only negative on this cruise is that we only have ONE day in Dubai, actually not even a full day. One smart couple got off to spend five days and then pick up the Odyssey when it comes Dubai in five days...its following us.... and take it to Rome. However, for us that wouldn't work because we are heading to Istanbul from Athens. Food wonderful, nice group of people, entertainment has been above average (for Seabourn) and everyone loves the itinerary. As our guest lecturer says....you tell your friends and family where you are going and they reply, "you are going WHERE?" More later. Heading to pool. (It had a leak and had to be drained and sealed) Patch patch patch!!! (THe Pride and I have a lot in common!)

P.S. Our chef Christian left in Dubai and we have an English cheep....almost never have English Chef's....I'll report his name when I find out...food hasn't missed a bit. Had fresh lobster thermidor last night, just caught. SO good. THe number and different types of fish from this area are mindboggling. Never heard of most of them!!

redheadednancy, I want to join others in thanking you for your travelogue. We are following it with great interest. We are booked to do a similar itinerary on the Legend next year and it is very reassuring hearing how safe you feel.

Harvey2442, I will look for you on the Roll Call, I already have some prices for excursions in Mumbai & Cochin.

redheadednancy, I want to join others in thanking you for your travelogue. We are following it with great interest. We are booked to do a similar itinerary on the Legend next year and it is very reassuring hearing how safe you feel.

Harvey2442, I will look for you on the Roll Call, I already have some prices for excursions in Mumbai & Cochin.

As I said, this morning getting ready to do Salalah on tour with Seabourn. As we have a bunch of sea days after today I will write more on a sea day but Mumbai Magic is excellent. We used them and so did Clarky in Mumbai. We have also had excellent luck with "Tours By Locals" and we are doing Ramses to Luxor. All highly recommended by CC and other people. the biggest thing is to do your homework before you get on ship. Once you get here it's too late. My husband has some mobility issues and we don't always like the ship's tour schedule. We like the flexibility to adjust the schedule as you go along. We have had the best guide in Mumbai and have hie card so you could go to him direct. He is excellent...good English, smart and knows the city well. Again, I have posted my online email if you want any offline info. nancy@arnettonline.net

Off to the pool..they fixed the leak and I want a swim this morning before we eat (or as Jan, our CD says, "it is time for our feeding again"...this is the place to get frankincense and we tour at noon...are here until 8:00 tonight.

As I said, this morning getting ready to do Salalah on tour with Seabourn. As we have a bunch of sea days after today I will write more on a sea day but Mumbai Magic is excellent. We used them and so did Clarky in Mumbai. We have also had excellent luck with "Tours By Locals" and we are doing Ramses to Luxor. All highly recommended by CC and other people. the biggest thing is to do your homework before you get on ship. Once you get here it's too late. My husband has some mobility issues and we don't always like the ship's tour schedule. We like the flexibility to adjust the schedule as you go along. We have had the best guide in Mumbai and have hie card so you could go to him direct. He is excellent...good English, smart and knows the city well. Again, I have posted my online email if you want any offline info. nancy@arnettonline.net

Off to the pool..they fixed the leak and I want a swim this morning before we eat (or as Jan, our CD says, "it is time for our feeding again"...this is the place to get frankincense and we tour at noon...are here until 8:00 tonight.

Thank you Nancy for posting and keeping us informed. I really appreciate the time you take with this. Thank you as well for the help you gave me with our New Zealand ports.

Totally agree with the need to research excursions prior to a cruise. Had this confirmed after we extended the 16 day New Zealand to include the 20 day to Bali. Still had a great time but felt at times that we were not getting the most out of some of the ports and using valuable leisure time to research.

Hope you continue to have a great time and am pleased they have fixed the pool for you:).

Julie

.....Mumbai Magic is excellent. We used them and so did Clarky in Mumbai. We have also had excellent luck with "Tours By Locals" and we are doing Ramses to Luxor......

Again, THANK YOU!! We also like the flexibility of doing our own thing and/or travelling in small groups. I have booked both Mumbai Magic and their offshoot, Cochin Magic, and was very pleased to read of the great time you had. I will be particularly interested in hearing more about your private excursions in Egypt & ???Jordan.

RHN

Thank you so much for continuing the wonderful reports. I await them eagerly!

I can only imagine how difficult it is to tour, be tired and then feel responsible for keeping all of us posted on what is happening day to day.

I know how much I enjoy and look forward to your postings but am not sure I will have your dedication to the task!

I will be on the Spirit in Oct. for 26 days and it is fairly port intensive--except we have already been to several of the places. I am not sure how much time we will spend away from the ship in these ports. We like doing things on our own. We use toursbylocals ,also, if it is a place we've never been. So unless it is a new port maybe I could find more time to post online. But then again, there is always something to do on the ship too! But I promise, I will try-- I am not going to even attempt to do as much as you have done, but I will at least put in a few postings. My feeble memory, however, can only retain a few things at a time so it won't be very detailed.

I think our cruise is sold out. I hope some other CC members who are dedicated posters will be on and will take on the task. There are so many like you who do such a fantastic job and make it appear so natural and effortless.

Keep up the good work. You will love Istanbul. Athens would have been better without the strikes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Nancy,

Back home safe and sound after our wonderful cruise. We gave the cruise a 10/10. We could not fault the food or service. We thought the entertainment was great and we really enjoyed the ports of call. I must say I do love sea days and there was always plenty of activities on board. for us the wines on board have improved dramatically from our last South American cruise (43 days) on board the Sojourn. The only part of the cruise that for me was not as good as previous cruises were the on board lectures. I usually attend the lectures on board but this time I found the guests lecturers not as interesting. I did attend about three lectures and one lecturer was better than the other but I felt this was the only let down of the cruise. This may be only my personal opinion and others may have truly enjoyed the lecturers but I found them a little light weight in comparison to other lecturers I have experienced on Seabourn. I notice they have changed the name of the lecture series to Conversation with so perhaps they intend to have a more light weight approach to the lecture series from now on.

Nancy I hope the rest of your cruise is as wonderful as the first part.

clarky,

The conversation series is indeed a bit light weight.on a recent cruise the cruise director interviewed a comedian who could not talk about much so lapsed into his routine comedy act, which was very nearly funny apart from all those attending had seen his act the previous night.:rolleyes:

Mr Luxury,

To be honest I found the lecturers spent a lot of time talking about themselves, what they did and what they experienced. Whilst this can be very interesting when it ties in to what you may be going to see or experience or has a relevance to a port of call I can understand but on most occasions it didn't. They may have been asked to do this by Management in accordance with the new tittle "Conversions with" but I just don't think it works. Perhaps if you had one lecturer doing this and one giving a more in depth understanding of the history of the country you were to visit it would be better. One guest lecturer was an Anthropologist but he spent two lectures telling us what an Anthropologist was. He did give a very interesting talk on the history of April Fools day and my husband attended a Q & A with both lecturers where guests were asked their impressions of the ports they had visited. This sparked a great discussion and was enjoyed by all the guests. So it was not all bad just as I mentioned a bit light on. I just read a review of the Odyssey where the reviewer said that they had the best lecturers she has experienced in her 14 cruises so perhaps these lecturers were just not to my liking. Although it does worry me that you had the same experience and I hope management keeps the lecturers who give in depth lectures.

Hi Nancy,

Back home safe and sound after our wonderful cruise. We gave the cruise a 10/10. We could not fault the food or service. We thought the entertainment was great and we really enjoyed the ports of call. I must say I do love sea days and there was always plenty of activities on board. for us the wines on board have improved dramatically from our last South American cruise (43 days) on board the Sojourn. The only part of the cruise that for me was not as good as previous cruises were the on board lectures. I usually attend the lectures on board but this time I found the guests lecturers not as interesting. I did attend about three lectures and one lecturer was better than the other but I felt this was the only let down of the cruise. This may be only my personal opinion and others may have truly enjoyed the lecturers but I found them a little light weight in comparison to other lecturers I have experienced on Seabourn. I notice they have changed the name of the lecture series to Conversation with so perhaps they intend to have a more light weight approach to the lecture series from now on.

Nancy I hope the rest of your cruise is as wonderful as the first part.

We miss you! You are right on about the lecturers. I fell asleep in both and never went back. On the other hand wish you were here. On this leg we have two new ones. One is interesting but a little more canned and the other one we have is Ambassador Mark Johnson (ret). He gets a "10". I don't always like lecturers but he is outstanding. Just to let you know it's not just me...not a seat empty in the Magellan Lounge when he speaks! A lot also watch on TV. He had a 30 year career with the US State Dept as Ambassador to Senegal. He was the first American diplomat to return to the US Embassy in Kuwait at the end of the Desert Storm campaign as Deputy Ambassador in Cairo. He participated in the Middle East peace process and helped negotiate the release of the American diplomats during the Iranian hostage crisis from 1979-1981. He was the national Vice Chair of the US Center for Citizen Diplomacy and founded the World Affairs Council of Montana. He has his wife Sally with him who was an international lawyer at the State Dept.

He speaks "off the cuff" in conversational terms and has addressed the difficulties with Iran, Somalia, Yemen and Egypt what has happened and what he expects to happen and what all the problems are with the Gulf of Aden and the different coalitions and what he sees coming this year and the difficulties for Obama. He says the Middle East will define your presidency. If you don't think so, ask Bush or Jimmy Carter!!!

I have never seen him use a note. He has a great mind for details. What he says is current and relevant and a little scary! He is truly one of the best we have had in all our sailings. Clarky, wish you were here, as I said! More later. It is Country Store time on deck.

Okay, I've got 25 minutes before time to dress for dinner, so here goes. I decided I might as well bite the bullet and write in short bursts as opposed to waiting for a time when I can have two hours to catch up, so here goes.

I have seen several other threads about this area and the other ships and a cruising. Quest and Odyssey have been following us and would like to make some comments but that will have to wait for more time.

Wanted to say that the port of Salalah is nothing, and shuttle doesn't do much for you. We took one of the two Seabourn tours and were glad we did. Taxis are hard to understand and some encountered problems getting what they wanted across. We went to Mughsail Beach, loved driving and seeing all the nice roads without potholes and the telephone poles in the middle of nowhere. Also no people around because in this heat people only come out at dark and stay up until after midnight and then start work very early in morning and then disappear by 10 in the morning. It is very dry. Heat is about 90, give or take a few degrees and we are in winter! The government does not allow summer temps to be published and our guide (Mohammed) said they usually were easily 150 degrees. Salalah is one of the few places that does have a monsoon in the summer and everything turns green.

We went to Job's Tomb on the tour, only 30 minutes from port. It is a place of pilgrimage for Christians, jews and Muslims alike. Mughsail Beach was very beautiful and completely deserted. Amazes me to see children's play ground sets about every mile along the beach with palm trees (irrigated). We saw lots of camels and they wander where they want and do have the right of way on the road as do the cows. We stopped for many pictures with the camels (only one hump). We also went to a bazaar. This is the home of the famous Omani frankincense and of course I bought many oils and perfumes for gifts. Very inexpensive. This was a four hour Seabourn tour, reasonable and worth it. There was one other offered that went to Al Balid (UNESCO) and then a fishing village but the ones that went on this one were not enthused.

You really need the air conditioned bus or car to get on and off and get a break. At the beach one of the staff stood on the "blow hole" and enjoyed a quick bath but was dry by the time she walked back to the bus! Very dusty. Definitely lots of showers on this trip.

Today's sea day had booths set up and we had a Country bazaar with all sorts of balloon and ring tosses and blind tastings on deck 7. Probably hottest day and no breeze. I felt sorry for the staff. They had canopies up for the guest

Last night at Connie and Niels table (the Romantics) was a very fun time.

I have to say the funniest thing is that a couple from Nashville (lives three miles from us) is on this ship. We met them on Odyssey last year and haven't seen them since. We have reunited. Such a small world.

I was on internet looking at some of the Quest pictures of the WC and the Sultan came to see Captain GA and staff and some of their games and decorations and parties. I sort of felt like the step child on the little Pride with our little homemade Country Bazaar. I say this with no regrets nor a reflection on the Pride. Staff did a fun and wonderful job. The little sisters are what Seabourn is all about and made their reputation on. We have a great group, guests and staff. We know most of the people, the staff is wonderful and our new lecturer outstanding. I wrote somewhere else that there wasn't an empty seat in Magellan for his talk. He's a former Ambassador and addressed the timely issues in the Middle East with no notes in a conversational manner. No one misses his talks. Entertainment has been above average and looking forward to Chris Watkins tonight on violin. He has a very impressive resume with music from Lord of the Dance to Fiddler on the Roof and he is suppose to be funny too!

Okay my 25 minutes up, have to get dressed for the Romantics at 6:30. Dinner at 7:30 and then back to Romantics until show at 10. It's a hard life. I did want to comment that the sky bar is open to sit up at dark with the dim lights. Beautiful weather and quiet with piped music. When I said "open" I mean you can "BYOB" and sit there, so beautiful at night when breeze blowing and seas quiet. More tomorrow.

Hi Nancy,

So glad to hear than one of the lecturers on the next leg of your cruises is exceptional. It makes a difference to me if we have good lecturers on board as I usually attend all the lectures. Also as you know we have done the next leg of your cruise and I'm in total agreement about Salalah. We did the Seabourn tour as there was not much else to do and the souk was a big disappointment. Not to worry you have some of the best ports we have ever experienced coming up. I came home with a big bump as we spent two days at our house in Bali so the bubble had not burst. Came home and had one appointment after another and a birthday dinner for my son to cook and host! Where are those lovely Seabourn staff when you need them? Thinking of you and keeping up with all that is going on via your posts.

Karen.

Nancy

Many thanks for your excellant reports/happenings ~~I am enjoying reading your postings everyday!As you know, the beautiful "Pride Queen" is my very favorite of the Seabourn fleet!

I surely have missed being aboard "her"this year ~~hopefully my health will improve and I will be able to book a Pride sailing in the near future.

Again a 1,000 thank you's ~continue to have lots of fun on your voyage.:)

Texas hugs to all

Miss Martita B

We just came back from doing the remote control car race in Magellan. Very funny. I think we are all challenged with coordination. This morning was golf putting contest. Not much more outside. It is VERY hot and increasing humidity so feels like over 100. Jan, our CD said it would get cooler soon???

She is doing a Cole Porter show tonight after the Chef's Epicurean Delight with her saxophone husband. The violinist last night was excellent. He apparently does nothing but cruise ships and has been doing it for ten years. A number of other guests have seen him on other lines and think he is great. We are at the Ambassador's dinner table tonight. Should be fun...hope he talks like he lectures....

A bit of excitement in the Veranda today. Small boat kept coming toward us. As you can imagine security was out in full force with walkie talkies, etc. The boat kept coming closer and speeding up and slowing down and apparently trying to get us to slow down. You could tell they were talking to our security on the walkie talkies but whatever was being said, they backed away everytime they got too close. It was a little exciting for us eating lunch and watching. Anyway, finally they turned around and headed another direction. Found out it was Saudi police. All they wanted to tell us was that we had entered Saudi waters! Our people were verifying their identity and that was the holdup. We are in the Red Sea on our way to Luxor (Safaga). The Ambassador spoke on Egypt today. Very eye opening. At this point everything is a go for the Egyptian ports.

Archived