Live from the Pride

clarky

We boarded the Pride yesterday in Singapore after cruising on the larger sisters for the last couple of years. Right away I must say that all the things that we loved about the little sisters is very much in evidence on board the Pride. The crew get to know you very quickly. Meeting fellow guests is very easy and the intimate feel of the smaller ships is alive and well.

We had a wonderful dinner last evening at the table of the Assistant cruise director and met some lovely fellow guests. Questions about the sale of the Pride and her sisters was brought up and this is what we were told. The crew who love the little ships are happy that she is going to Windstar as they believe Windstar will spend the money to give them the attention they need. The ship is as lovely as she was last time we cruised her, in fact better as the soft furnishing has been updated. Jan our CD gave a strong warning of what one may flush down the toilet. We have been on board when the toilets have become blocked and this is one area that I hope Windstar will update the ship.

We were also told that Seabourn is looking at three new builds, twice the size of the big sisters. I love the smaller ships so for me this is not good news but we will have to wait and see what they actually announce.

It is formal night tonight and I will try and post some pictures. So for all of future Pride guests I can say all is well onboard.

We boarded the Pride yesterday in Singapore after cruising on the larger sisters for the last couple of years. Right away I must say that all the things that we loved about the little sisters is very much in evidence on board the Pride. The crew get to know you very quickly. Meeting fellow guests is very easy and the intimate feel of the smaller ships is alive and well.

We had a wonderful dinner last evening at the table of the Assistant cruise director and met some lovely fellow guests. Questions about the sale of the Pride and her sisters was brought up and this is what we were told. The crew who love the little ships are happy that she is going to Windstar as they believe Windstar will spend the money to give them the attention they need. The ship is as lovely as she was last time we cruised her, in fact better as the soft furnishing has been updated. Jan our CD gave a strong warning of what one may flush down the toilet. We have been on board when the toilets have become blocked and this is one area that I hope Windstar will update the ship.

We were also told that Seabourn is looking at three new builds, twice the size of the big sisters. I love the smaller ships so for me this is not good news but we will have to wait and see what they actually announce.

It is formal night tonight and I will try and post some pictures. So for all of future Pride guests I can say all is well onboard.

I have to second all that Karen said! I haven't met her yet but probably will soon. The Pride is just as wonderful as we remembered it also after being on the big ships for the last three cruises. We went to Restaurant 2 last night and sat outside on the veranda. Beautiful night and excellent food. It was fun to sit and visit with Ray before he left the ship. Katrina is serving (from the Odyssey) last year and Carrie is running the gift shop. So much fun to see her again.

I haven't made the rounds of the ship yet. We went to bed early, very tired and slept until breakfast woke us up! Simon the fitness instructor is doing free personal training sessions today so I am going to go see if I can learn something...and of course trivia at noon. I will look forward to Karen's pictures .We will have dinner with the Captain tonight so maybe we will learn more about the ships also. I have to say I will always miss the "Seabourn package" ....a combination of wonderful people, service and food on a small intimate ship.

quote]

Not twice the size. 1 deck more than the bigger sisters have.

Enjoy the cruise

:-)

quote]

Not twice the size. 1 deck more than the bigger sisters have.

Enjoy the cruise

:-)

How does that work out in terms of additional passengers and/or new features?

We had a lovely dinner at the Captain's table tonight with two other couples..."Clarky" and "Miss Jet Set" from Cruise Critic! It was such fun meeting them both and their husbands. We had a fun and informative table and Clarky said she would further post the Captain's comments on the build of ships. Tomorrow is Belawan Indonesia. Luckily the clocks went back an hour so I feel I could take an hour and reply to emails!

We had a lovely dinner at the Captain's table tonight with two other couples..."Clarky" and "Miss Jet Set" from Cruise Critic! It was such fun meeting them both and their husbands. We had a fun and informative table and Clarky said she would further post the Captain's comments on the build of ships. Tomorrow is Belawan Indonesia. Luckily the clocks went back an hour so I feel I could take an hour and reply to emails!

Is Nelson on? If so could you ask what his plans are post-Pride?

clarky and redheadednancy, how I wish that I was onboard the Pride with you! From the time I boarded the ship in Civitavecchia and Jovan took my carry-on bag until the day of departure in Dubai, I had a fabulous experience. I wish you both just as wonderful a cruise. I can't wait to read your updates!

We had a lovely meal last night at the Captain's table as Nancy mentioned. The Captain let us know that he would be surprized if the new ships were any bigger than the big sisters because if they held any more passengers they could not be classified as small ships. He believed that Seabourn would want to remain in the small ship category as the next class of ship has a lot more competition for awards.

I hope to post pictures soon. Nelson is not on board as far as I know. On another note I have found the wine on board to be much better than I have experienced on the larger ships. We have signed up for the wine tasting and will post on this in depth after we attend.

We have just arrived in port so I will post again later.

I don't think Nelson is aboard either. We had dinner with Jan last night and I forgot to ask her. Will later today. Today is a sea day. Yesterday was Belawan. We had a car and driver and saw a lot...many Hindu, Buddhist and Indian temples, the Grand Mosque and Sultan's Palace. We had about 6 hours and that was enough on the bumpy roads and 90 degree heat but we did enjoy it. We are not on the "prettiest" side of Indonesia, more the industrial side. We also went to the second largest Catholic church in Asis...outside of Madras, India. Our driver told us about 4% of the 20% that are Chinese are Christian. However, the people have been lovely and very welcoming. I don't know how anyone can afford a car. $150,000 for a normal car and $10,000 for a Honda motorcycle. Most is taxes. Our driver was a school administrator and also wrote articles for the loal paper as well as being a part time photographer.

We did not leave until 11:00 last night. Many went to see the orangutans, and that was 4-1/2 hours each way. Hope they saw some! The traffic is phenomenal as it is all over Asia. We had a lovely lunch at the Tip Top Market with hand turned ice cream. Many people stayed on ship.

One thing interesting this trip since 10 months ago when we left the Odyssey....no Seabourn slippers in the room and they have done away with the Seabourn bags they give you when you board!! I guess more cutbacks. However, some of the wine has been better. I had a good white Bordeaux in the room and also a Stags Leap Chardonnay....

At dinner the other night "Clarky's" husband told me the best saying...."Travel is not a reward for hard work.....it's homework for life" Great thought. Heading to pool, am sure it is 90 today as it seems to be everyday. Calm perfect weather for me!

Redheadednancy, thanks for taking the time to post. I am following with great interest as we are doing a similar itinerary on the Legend next year.

.....One thing interesting this trip since 10 months ago when we left the Odyssey....no Seabourn slippers in the room and they have done away with the Seabourn bags they give you when you board!! I guess more cutbacks.

I am thinking the lack of slippers or Seabourn bag may be an oversight by your stewardess. They were very much in evidence on our recent cruise. A party of about 14 turned up for dinner in the Patio Grill on the last night of our cruise, attired in Seabourn dressing gowns and slippers, individually accessorised - very funny!

Redheadednancy, thanks for taking the time to post. I am following with great interest as we are doing a similar itinerary on the Legend next year.

I am thinking the lack of slippers or Seabourn bag may be an oversight by your stewardess. They were very much in evidence on our recent cruise. A party of about 14 turned up for dinner in the Patio Grill on the last night of our cruise, attired in Seabourn dressing gowns and slippers, individually accessorised - very funny!

Laylam: I thought so too and we are on our fourth day on board and no sign. At the Captain's table, I asked both my seat mates on each side and they both DID NOT get them either. (We also saw your pictures on the Seabourn Blog of your gowns and accessories. Cute.) Also we went on excursions yesterday and no one had a bag. Luckily we stuck in the slippers from the Inercontinental in Singapore for my husband who likes his slippers! I will investigate further today! Stay tuned! (and I will post as much as I can...I have unlimited internet so it's only a hardship as far as time goes).

On Pride's previous cruise (Hong Kong to Singapore) which I just left, slippers AND cloth bags appeared the second evening aboard. The ship was almost full, so maybe we used up this year's allotment.

Nelson departed Pride March 4 in Hong Kong, where he relaxed for four days before joining Quest on March 9. Crew thought he would rejoin Pride later this year, perhaps in the Med.

Aside from mostly steamy weather, the cruise was wonderful. Shopping in Saigon with Chef Christian was very enjoyable; it's fun to see him bargain for 20 or 30 kilos of seafood and Asian fruits and vegetables. The vendors seemed impressed with his bargaining talents and we were impressed with what he bought. We had the best combination of officers, crew and guests I've ever experienced! Pride still rocks.

On Pride's previous cruise (Hong Kong to Singapore) which I just left, slippers AND cloth bags appeared the second evening aboard. The ship was almost full, so maybe we used up this year's allotment.

Nelson departed Pride March 4 in Hong Kong, where he relaxed for four days before joining Quest on March 9. Crew thought he would rejoin Pride later this year, perhaps in the Med.

Aside from mostly steamy weather, the cruise was wonderful. Shopping in Saigon with Chef Christian was very enjoyable; it's fun to see him bargain for 20 or 30 kilos of seafood and Asian fruits and vegetables. The vendors seemed impressed with his bargaining talents and we were impressed with what he bought. We had the best combination of officers, crew and guests I've ever experienced! Pride still rocks.

You are right. The Pride rocks! I did find out the scoop on slippers and bags. The container did not arrive in Singapore before we took off. They have a small supply on ship of slippers and bags so if anyone wants one they can ask, but no change in policy, just have to wait for the container to catch up with us...don't know when that is? Anyway, we are doing fine without both!!

Chef Christian is doing a fabulous job with food. We are definitely getting our share! Tonight is the variety show with the staff. We plan to go. The Romantics are in the club...very nice listening music. Their daughter Danielle is the guitar player. I still love the club on the little sisters the best. We failed miserably at trivia today but we have the most "fun" group. The names are cute. We have "pride goes before a fall", "haven't got a clue" and "Funk and Wagnalls". We are "Asian Pirates" and defending our title of last place very well! We also have a great combination of guests and crew and the people who were not appropriately dress WERE turned away for the dining room for the Captain's formal dinner. Most had tuxes, white dinner jackets or dark suits and more were tuxes. It was an appropriately dressed group!!

Forgot to say this cruise is not full...180 on board.

Thank you Nancy for keeping this post going and adding your impressions of this cruise. My promise of pictures is not going so well as my husband forgot his camera on our excursion yesterday. Luckily our friend took hers so well have great pictures of the Mother, daughter, and one month old baby that visited the feeding station. This is a long trip and one that I organized myself. We did a tour of Medan and then onto to the Orangutan. The cost was $98.00 The seabourn tour was $179 and did not include the tour of Medan. On speaking to other guests at the ranger station they mentioned that the air con was not working in their bus. Let me be blunt and say that this is not a strenuous trip as advertised in the Seabourn excursion brochure it is very very difficult. The humidity and heat at 2.00 is nearly unbearable and the trek to the feeding station is all up hill and the steps are really steep. I'm a fit 52 year old and I found it a challenge. Tree roots have grown over some of the steep steps and finding places for your feet is difficult. Many of the Seabourn guests paid the local touts to assist them by pulling them and holding their hands up the steep steps. This trip is not for the faint hearted but on this particular day worth it as we did see the orangutan. Our guide informed us this was not the case for the past two weeks. I'm not sure I would have thought this was good value at $179.00 a 8 hour bus ride and not having seen an orangutan. You don't really see any jungle on the way as that has been cleared for Palm plantations one of the biggest crops in Medan.

We have just returned from the wine tasting with the sommelier Linda. She is a font of knowledge and we enjoyed the tasting very much. She offered to deliver to our suite a list of the complimentary wines on board and if anyone is interested I will post them here for you.

The sea is so calm you would think we were still docked. We are looking forward to Sabang tomorrow as we will venture to hire a local to take us snorkelling. I'm not too worried as we speak Indonesian (which means I will only understand that I'm getting ripped off) but I hope to post pictures and costs and ease of doing our own thing in this port.

Lovely to read this - we embark in two weeks in Dubai! Stags Leap chardonnay sounds good - look forward to hearing about the other wines, if anyone has time to post! Presumably still NF champagne?

Lovely to read this - we embark in two weeks in Dubai! Stags Leap chardonnay sounds good - look forward to hearing about the other wines, if anyone has time to post! Presumably still NF champagne?

Are you on the Odessey? Or on the Pride?

I think Kiltie, Blindie and Bob/Paula all join us on Pride in Dubai. I am sitting here having Baileys in my coffee and watching the Indonesian dancers entertain us on the pier. We dock right in Sabang...this is the town. We will take a walk and see the market and that's about it. Very hilly and all the natives are out with a big pavillion and all the local dignitaries. If you want to snorkel I guess it's a good area and a hill and views but that is about it. Anyway, the people seem very appreciative and welcoming and are taking many pictures of the ship. I will really miss these ships.

We just looked at the 2104 itineraries that go to about October. We wanted to do Greek Isles again and no small ships go there...(at least to Ephesus), must be a reason.

Hope The Romantics are still on that play in the Club. They are a husband and wife team from Denmark and really multi talented. We have loved their music. Their daughter Dannielle is the guitar player in Constellation lounge and other places. Last night in the variety show, they did a number together. Jan and Aaron performed also. Tonight is Dancing Under the Stars. Have to get dressed and head out.

P.S. The food is Excellent under Chef Christian (He doesn't look old enough to be a Chef!!!) However I must be getting older (could that be?) I have not even noticed Charlie Trotter is gone. Yes the champagne is just as bad but we don't drink it but made as a mimosa and bellini, etc., it's certainly fine.

P.S. 2 Last night at 6:00 they announced a block party. I do like the idea and we went out. We were dressed as we were on way to club but didn't stay long

because husband in jacket and hall was HOT.

Captain just went out to meet the local dignitaries and is now sitting with them in the shaded pavilion watching the dancers. I have to quit reporting and head for the "market". I did want to say that last stop and this one you are hard pressed to spend money on stuff. My husband thinks that is a good thing even if though I am not a shopper. The little boutique on ship has some pretty things. Fashion show in another week. Kari talked me into modeling (I like the discount so I overcame my self-consciousness and am going to do it).

Rothberg white Bordeaux 2011

Kiltie: 2010 Villa Maria New Zealand Pinot Noir; Brise France Merlot 2011; Marquis de Rothberg Bordeaux 2011. I'll try to look further tonight.

Archived