Azamara Management

captainmcd

As someone who has over 50 years of experience in the Maritime Industry, I am aware that there often exists a difference in the style of onboard ship management and the shoreside team. This was easy to understand when we had less effective communication. We had the radio telegraph and High Seas telephone operated by "sparks" and the flashing light when we got close to shore. Now we have emails and conference calls, but things remain the same.

Azamara has a great group of seagoing personnel. I believe they really enjoy their jobs. Most cruise lines keep the same people on very repetative cruises, but Azamara along with several other cruise lines operate smaller ships on interesting and varied itineraries. It is a nice place to work.

Lately, and on a number of threads there have been posts my many loyal and repeat customers who are upset by change. This change came from management. I understand that Azamara must be profitable, and even though it is part of a larger corporate structure it must stand on its own. There is an economy of scale, and with only two ships Azamara is at a disadvantage with their competitors. I understand the need for change. Where things seem to have caused problems is that higher prices were presented as an improvement, and most of Azamara's customers could see that this was not so. Most of the people I have met on Azamara are relativelly sophisticated business people themselves.

As a mariner I was really impressed with how Larry Pimentel handled the fire on board the Quest last year. Everyone makes mistakes, and I think we should cut this guy some slack.

Yes, I will miss the harpist. No, I am not interested in a "booze cruise". I enjoyed the 50% off shore excursions and was far more likely to book them with Azamara than doing it by myself. But it may be that market research shows my opinion is in the minority. But I will still cruise with Azamara inspite, not because of the changes. I think that the crew make the ship, and Azamara has the right stuff when it comes to crew.

I'm not really buying the 'cutting management some slack' argument. RCCL has had plenty of time to get its act together as far as promotion, publicity and P.R. is concerned for Azamara.

If Az wants to reposition itself further upmarket, new and repeat customers will be less and less forgiving of the land based missteps.

Given Larry Pimentel's fairly explicit words about 'take it or leave it', we have chosen to enjoy other cruise lines' offerings. We miss the wonderful onboard personal service and the attention to detail from the Hotel Director down, but I honestly don't think the current 'enhancements' justify the revised prices. the impression I get is that Larry's management team aren't too bothered.

I have never considered cruising with Azamara, as I have stayed loyal to the other lines that I have enjoyed many cruises with. I never have a bad cruise, as I always embark with a positive attitude and will do with my first AZ cruise.

Last October I was spoilt by doing my first Regent cruise and the onshore and offshore experience was first class. It was abundantly clear what was and wasn't included.

Now, Azamara have contrived to make life thoroughly confusing - even Bill's hurried latest post is confusing.

Azamara, you only have one chance to satisfy new customers, I sincerely hope it gets better.

I have never considered cruising with Azamara, as I have stayed loyal to the other lines that I have enjoyed many cruises with. I never have a bad cruise, as I always embark with a positive attitude and will do with my first AZ cruise.

Last October I was spoilt by doing my first Regent cruise and the onshore and offshore experience was first class. It was abundantly clear what was and wasn't included.

Now, Azamara have contrived to make life thoroughly confusing - even Bill's hurried latest post is confusing.

Azamara, you only have one chance to satisfy new customers, I sincerely hope it gets better.

Reading some of your posts on other threads, I assumed that you had cruised with Azamara frequently, and were upset by the changes. Wow! Now, I find this fact quite bewildering. Hmm . . .

Reading some of your posts on other threads, I assumed that you had cruised with Azamara frequently, and were upset by the changes. Wow! Now, I find this fact quite bewildering. Hmm . . .

Bewildering, why?

I have cruised many times and spend hours with research, so I believe I have a fair idea about what I am saying.

My gripe is that I was attracted to Azamara by extensive UK marketing of all inclusive, then after I booked there seemed no-one, even at Azamara or RCCI, who could define what AI meant, which I find quite staggering.

Then I see posts from Azamara officials putting down CC posters and I wondered what I was letting myself in for. I guess I'll find out in June.

Bewildering, why?

I have cruised many times and spend hours with research, so I believe I have a fair idea about what I am saying.

My gripe is that I was attracted to Azamara by extensive UK marketing of all inclusive, then after I booked there seemed no-one, even at Azamara or RCCI, who could define what AI meant, which I find quite staggering.

Then I see posts from Azamara officials putting down CC posters and I wondered what I was letting myself in for. I guess I'll find out in June.

Fair enough. I have been on many cruises as well, enjoy wine with my meal, and maybe the occasional liqueur--that's about it. I guess I have a very different interpretation of "inclusive." Cheers!

quote]

It would be nice if someone could post these marketing Ads, but without using the travel agents name, especially if it is from Azamara directly, such as on the UK website.

This is on the USA site,

"Welcome. Here at Azamara Club Cruises, we continue our efforts to be the world's top up-market cruise line. As such, we are committed to providing you with unparalleled service; the finest dining at sea; a glorious spa and wellness experience, and innovations such as Destination ImmersionSM. With our hallmark of longer stays, more overnights and night touring, we'll not only take you to awe-inspiring destinations, but also give you more time to fall in love with them."

On another page,

"New Inclusive Amenities

For 2013

• AzAmazing Evenings event on every voyage
  • Select standard spirits, international beers and wines available throughout the voyage
  • Gratuities
  • Bottled water, soft drinks, specialty coffees and teas
  • English-trained butlers for suite guests
  • Self-service laundry
  • Shuttle service to and from ports, where available
  • Concierge services for personal guidance and reservations"

It says "Inclusive", not "All Inclusive".

Found these so far -My comments in bold italics

"The on-board experience is one to look forward to with this luxury line and 2013 is set to be a fantastic year with recent changes to their all-inclusive package. Guests can now expect; standard spirits, international beers, a special selection of wines from around the world, teas and coffees and soft drinks throughout the cruise; gratuities included for waiters, bartenders and housekeepers; an on-board concierge service allowing help with personal guidance; an English butler service provided in suites, a self-service laundry; and a shuttle bus to and from ports where available."

Note standard spirits, mid range normally those in a classic package, many of those are now in a purchased package just as they always were!

"

Azamara Cruises - You'll love where we take you

Azamara Club Cruises, the difference between visiting a destination and truly experiencing it. See whats included and the true value of an all inclusive Azamara luxury cruise below.

• All Inclusive from Spring 2013 (ask for details)
  • Service charges for housekeeping, dining and bar staff
  • Bottled water, soft drinks, speciality coffees and teas
  • Selected wines, beers and spirits
  • English butler service for suite guests

Azamara goes all-inclusive for 2013

Azamara Club Cruises is going all-inclusive for 2013 after feedback from travel agents.

The upmarket cruise line, which is part of Royal Caribbean, will start its all-inclusive offering when Azamara Quest starts its European season on 27 March 2013 and Azamara Journey starts on 15 May 2013.

The cruise firm is developing a new training module on how to sell all-inclusive voyages plus agents will be given clear guidelines in a 'frequently asked questions' format to ensure they are best equipped to handle any booking queries.

The new tools will be available from Friday in order to support agents in advance of the peak 'wave' booking season.

Sonia Limbrick, business development manager, Azamara Club Cruises, said: "With the addition of select spirits, wines, beers, and a special evening event, the Azamara Club Cruises experience has received phenomenal feedback.

"In fact, agents in the UK wanted to be able to sell Azamara Journey and Azamara Quest's itineraries as an all-inclusive experience and challenged us to deliver the tools to help them do this."

Azamara Club Cruises promotes itself as a destination-immersive cruise line for up-market travellers with European-boutique hotel ambience and sailing to destinations worldwide larger ships cannot reach.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012"

There are loads, mostly official quotes, they often have a rider that says ask for details, but as no details have been available, I am not sure how the training for TAs can have had any purpose!

I am not that bothered but it has all gone a bit loopy with all those different packages that have the standard drinks in them.

With regard to what is included on an all inc 5 star hotel holiday, the 4 star and lower is usually local stuff but the 5 tend to include popular imported brands too;)

Yvonne:)

quote]

It would be nice if someone could post these marketing Ads, but without using the travel agents name, especially if it is from Azamara directly, such as on the UK website.

This is on the USA site,

"Welcome. Here at Azamara Club Cruises, we continue our efforts to be the world's top up-market cruise line. As such, we are committed to providing you with unparalleled service; the finest dining at sea; a glorious spa and wellness experience, and innovations such as Destination ImmersionSM. With our hallmark of longer stays, more overnights and night touring, we'll not only take you to awe-inspiring destinations, but also give you more time to fall in love with them."

On another page,

"New Inclusive Amenities

For 2013

• AzAmazing Evenings event on every voyage
  • Select standard spirits, international beers and wines available throughout the voyage
  • Gratuities
  • Bottled water, soft drinks, specialty coffees and teas
  • English-trained butlers for suite guests
  • Self-service laundry
  • Concierge services for personal guidance and reservations"

It says "Inclusive", not "All Inclusive".

In the UK there is extensive advertising in the media and on cruise websites with banners stating, "All Inclusive" , which to most people here means something completely different from your quote.

However, thanks for your thoughts.

I have to make a comment here. Bill Leiber as Chief Blogging Officer and voice of Azamara has been posting here for a long time. In the face of adversity (and by that I mean less than respectful comments made by some posters here) he has always remained extremely polite and level headed. I'll be honest it has amazed me how he has kept his composure and civility. A small number of posters here I think are very rude. Quick to criticise and slow to thank when Bill comes back with a response. I really wish that some posting members here would be more polite and not go on the attack quite so readily.

In the grand scheme of things I feel very lucky to have the health and wealth to cruise at all. I enjoy the Azamara product and am very able to criticise it if I have to because of the passion I have for the brand. At the same time I'd hope that I am polite and respectful when I do it and fully aware that I can go elsewhere if the experience is no longer what I want without the need to endlessly complain. I have absolutely no problem with people putting their opinions across, but this board now seems to be frequented by a hard core of moaners who never seem satisfied (even if that ultimately means going somewhere else). Some of them don't even cruise much on Azamara or have been vocal in saying they won't do so in future.

Sorry, I know I will be flamed for this and I have gone off at a bit of a tangent, but it is a feeling that's been building for a while.

Phil

I have to make a comment here. Bill Leiber as Chief Blogging Officer and voice of Azamara has been posting here for a long time. In the face of adversity (and by that I mean less than respectful comments made by some posters here) he has always remained extremely polite and level headed. I'll be honest it has amazed me how he has kept his composure and civility. A small number of posters here I think are very rude. Quick to criticise and slow to thank when Bill comes back with a response. I really wish that some posting members here would be more polite and not go on the attack quite so readily.

In the grand scheme of things I feel very lucky to have the health and wealth to cruise at all. I enjoy the Azamara product and am very able to criticise it if I have to because of the passion I have for the brand. At the same time I'd hope that I am polite and respectful when I do it and fully aware that I can go elsewhere if the experience is no longer what I want without the need to endlessly complain. I have absolutely no problem with people putting their opinions across, but this board now seems to be frequented by a hard core of moaners who never seem satisfied (even if that ultimately means going somewhere else). Some of them don't even cruise much on Azamara or have been vocal in saying they won't do so in future.

Sorry, I know I will be flamed for this and I have gone off at a bit of a tangent, but it is a feeling that's been building for a while.

Phil

Why should you be flamed for giving an honest appraisal? Good for you to stand up for what you believe in.

....I have absolutely no problem with people putting their opinions across, but this board now seems to be frequented by a hard core of moaners who never seem satisfied (even if that ultimately means going somewhere else). Some of them don't even cruise much on Azamara or have been vocal in saying they won't do so in future.....

Phil

Unfortunately, Phil, that increasingly seems to be the case. When I booked my first cruise for last October, this board was full of joy and excitement. Now it simply is full of complaints. I understand that change is not easy, but that is a very lengthy list of included drinks!

Pam

I have absolutely no problem with people putting their opinions across, but this board now seems to be frequented by a hard core of moaners who never seem satisfied (even if that ultimately means going somewhere else). Some of them don't even cruise much on Azamara or have been vocal in saying they won't do so in future.

Phil

Interesting comment.

Some ACC cruisers, upon learning of the changes announced last fall, decided to cancel future cruises, received a reimbursement and moved on. Good for them. A great decision and no doubt they're happy for making it.

As for the "hard core moaners" , what has their approach achieved? We do know that some recent arrivals on this forum end up believing that the Azamara onboard experience can't be very good.

That is both unfortunate and untrue.

Good Morning Everyone,

I'd like to say a special Thank You to Phil (Excitedofharpenden). IMO, your assessment is spot on. I especially appreciated your comments about being in good health and being fortunate enough to cruise. I'm sure we can all agree that cruising is a privilege that most will never get a chance to enjoy. When I think about everything going on in the world, I'm always thankful for what we have.

As many are aware, the past 6 months have been devastating for Mom & I. Every day is filled with sadness. I'm thankful for your many kind emails and words of encouragement. While I make no secret that we are heartbroken, and having difficulty adjusting to life without Dad... we are trying our best to make each passing day a better one, cherish our many wonderful memories, and somehow move forward. That's all we can do. What remains strong, is our eternal love for Dad, and our tremendous passion for cruising. We hope to continue cruising in the years ahead, as long as Mom is able.

While I totally understand & appreciate that a number of Azamara fans are unhappy with the recent changes, I believe that some have been quite ungracious and rude towards Azamara Management. While I'm less than thrilled with some of the recent decisions, I've accepted the reality for a while now. I'd like to mention that Larry Pimentel & every member of Azamara's Management and his Miami team are amongst the most dedicated folks I've ever met. I think that some have lost sight of the fact that Azamara is a public company, as part of Royal Caribbean. As such, they have a responsibility to be profitable, maintain & exceed corporate goals, and deliver solid returns for their shareholders. Azamara, nor any other cruise line, exists to sell us low priced cruises, and lose money. You may not like that statement, but it's a fact.

What's upsetting me the most... is that I often wonder if some of the most vociferous complainers have set foot on an Azamara ship, and feel entitled to be judge and jury. We are all welcome to discuss the good and the bad... but it's frustrating when some have grown so mean spirited - knowing they are fans of other lines, and seem to enjoy visiting this forum to rag on Azamara. That's just wrong. While some of the negativity is understandable, its a never ending discussion of the same items, ad nauseum. The reality is, we should come to grips with the fact that things are unlikely to revert to their previous structure, and it's up to each of us to decide whether the new Azamara works for your cruising pleasure... or not. We all have choices to make, and IMO - that's a good thing.

In case you are wondering why I'm not posting much in recent weeks... it's because of my passion is to help our community. I prefer taking "the glass is half full" approach, while making every effort to be the voice of reason. I realize there's little I can do to help with the current situation. While I'm proud of being the sole moderator of this forum since Day 1 of Azamara's existence, I'm sensing my role is currently diminished. I feel it's Bill's role (as CBO) to be our Captain, and navigate us through the choppy waters. It makes the most sense. Bill is the very best, and I'm thankful we have him as a vital part of our community. IMO, every Cruise line would be fortunate to have someone of Bill's caliber, as their CBO & voice of their brand. In the meantime, I hope my efforts will be appreciated on Celebrity and other forums. I'm also extremely busy with my career and life's other demands. I'm currently working 18-20 hour days, as I'm sure you've noticed with many of my patented 2 am posts. Going forward, I must manage my time more efficiently. Don't worry, I will be around, and you can't keep me quiet for long ! As Arnold Schwarzenegger would say... "I'll be back" :)

I've had the pleasure of sailing on 3 Azamara voyages. What I'm certain of, is that Azamara's onboard experience and their Officers & Crew are the best I've ever experienced. I truly hope we'll have the opportunity to sail on Quest in November, when she returns to Miami.

If I may, I'd like to express my heartfelt wish that we try our best to accept the changes - for better or worse, whether we like them or not. And, that we try to move forward, and collectively strive to make this forum a happier place. My passion is sharing insights and helping our many Azamara (and Celebrity) guests and fans with their questions. To me, that's the heart & soul of Cruise Critic, and I hope you will join me in supporting my wishes, and getting things back on track.

Thank You for allowing me to share my thoughts.

Good Morning Everyone,

I'd like to say a special Thank You to Phil (Excitedofharpenden). IMO, your assessment is spot on. I especially appreciated your comments about being in good health and being fortunate enough to cruise. I'm sure we can all agree that cruising is a privilege that most will never get a chance to enjoy. When I think about everything going on in the world, I'm always thankful for what we have.

As many are aware, the past 6 months have been devastating for Mom & I. Every day is filled with sadness. I'm thankful for your many kind emails and words of encouragement. While I make no secret that we are heartbroken, and having difficulty adjusting to life without Dad... we are trying our best to make each passing day a better one, and somehow move forward. That's all we can do. What remains strong, is our eternal love for Dad, and our tremendous passion for cruising. We hope to continue cruising in the years ahead, as long as Mom is able.

While I totally understand & appreciate that a number of Azamara fans are unhappy with the recent changes, I believe that some have been quite ungracious and rude towards Azamara Management. While I'm less than thrilled with some of the recent decisions, I've accepted the reality for a while now. I'd like to mention that Larry Pimentel & every member of Azamara's Management and his Miami team are amongst the most dedicated folks I've ever met. I think that some have lost sight of the fact that Azamara is a public company, as part of Royal Caribbean. As such, they have a responsibility to be profitable, maintain & exceed corporate goals, and deliver solid returns for their shareholders. Azamara, nor any other cruise line, exists to sell us low priced cruises, and lose money. You may not like that statement, but it's a fact.

What's upsetting me the most... is that I often wonder if some of the most vociferous complainers have set foot on an Azamara ship, and feel entitled to be judge and jury. We are all welcome to discuss the good and the bad... but it's frustrating when some have grown so mean spirited - knowing they are fans of other lines, and seem to enjoy visiting this forum to rag on Azamara. That's just wrong. While some of the negativity is understandable, its a never ending discussion of the same items, ad nauseum. The reality is, we should come to grips with the fact that things are unlikely to revert to their previous structure, and it's up to each of us to decide whether the new Azamara works for your cruising pleasure... or not. We all have choices to make, and IMO - that's a good thing.

In case you are wondering why I'm not posting much in recent weeks... it's because of my passion is to help our community. I prefer taking "the glass is half full" approach, while making every effort to be the voice of reason. I realize there's little I can do to help with the current situation. While I'm proud of being the sole moderator of this forum since Day 1 of Azamara's existence, I'm sensing my role is currently diminished. I feel it's Bill's role (as CBO) to be our Captain, and navigate us through the choppy waters. For the time being, it makes the most sense. Bill is the very best, and I'm thankful we have him as a vital part of our community. IMO, every Cruise line would be fortunate to have someone of Bill's caliber, as their CBO & voice of their brand. In the meantime, I hope my efforts will be appreciated on Celebrity and other forums. I'm also extremely busy with my career and life's other demands. I'm currently working 18-20 hour days, as I'm sure you've noticed with many of my patented 2 am posts. Going forward, I must manage my time more efficiently. Don't worry, I will be around, and you can't keep me quiet for long ! As Arnold Schwarzenegger would say... "I'll be back" :)

I've had the pleasure of sailing on 3 Azamara voyages. What I'm certain of, is that Azamara's onboard experience and their Officers & Crew are the best I've ever experienced. I truly hope we'll have the opportunity to sail on Quest in November, when she returns to Miami.

If I may, I'd like to express my heartfelt wish that we try our best to accept the changes - for better or worse, whether we like them or not. And, that we try to move forward, and collectively strive to make this forum a happier place. My passion is sharing insights and helping our many Azamara (and Celebrity) guests and fans with their questions. To me, that's the heart & soul of Cruise Critic, and I hope you will join me in supporting my wishes, and getting things back on track.

Andy, it is strange but was thinking about you the other day and said to myself we have not heard much from you and I miss you not commented here. I understand now after reading this.

Change is difficult and sometimes it hurts and can be disappointing and in my case it is disappointing to see A move in a different direction but I do understand why it needs to happen to keep the company profitable I honestly believe in my heart that there is no one here that does not wish that for Azamara.

The harsh comments directed at the shoreside operations is an issue with Azamara. It would do them a world of good to provide clear,consise and timely communication to its customers. It should not take 4 months to tell us what the drink package is or what the new menus are(which we still do not know) that does not fair well with customers. We are in an information age and these programs should of all ready been thought out and should of been out months ago not a week before the program goes live. Telling us week after week it is coming and then nothing does not help Azamara crediblilty and also comes off as Azamara not have its act together. I fell for Bill everytime he has to say I will get back to you time and time again. As a customer it does not come across well seeing this played out on here.

I know this does not take away how great the on board experience is but with Azamara moving more towards a upmarket position the shoreside operations need to be as good as the on board experience and there is a disconnect there. I do not know why it is that way but I feel sometimes it is two different companies.

Andy, do not be a stranger here you are valued and miss you not being part of this board on a regular bases. Your insight and comments are important to us.

Phil and Andy

Thanks for your posts. Phil you could not put what I have been thinking better and Andy, your focus on glass half full is what we should all be doing.

Yes, in this Information Age Azamara needs to watch and up its game but we too must watch we are not demanding too much information - we all need the fun of surprises and to trust others.

It can be hard, we have all had knocks that dent that trust but I hope on this board we can get back to how it was a year ago, sharing information and remembering that the new passengers Azamara needs may well come and lurk here before deciding whether to book or not.

What do we want them to see - a reasoned bunch of cruisers who are respectful, give feedback to improve the wider product not necessarily for personal gain and who are open and friendly to each other (actually just like the onboard ambience) or a bunch of squabbles who point score and argue incessantly about who pays what?

Yes Azamara management has work to do, certainly in relation to communication (and I am sure some of the shoreside staff who are often in an even darker place would agree) but as posters, so do we

Thanks again Phil and Andy!

Good Morning Everyone,

As many are aware, the past 6 months have been devastating for Mom & I. Every day is filled with sadness. I'm thankful for your many kind emails and words of encouragement. While I make no secret that we are heartbroken, and having difficulty adjusting to life without Dad... we are trying our best to make each passing day a better one, cherish our many wonderful memories, and somehow move forward. That's all we can do. What remains strong, is our eternal love for Dad, and our tremendous passion for cruising. We hope to continue cruising in the years ahead, as long as Mom is able.

In case you are wondering why I'm not posting much in recent weeks... it's because of my passion is to help our community. I prefer taking "the glass is half full" approach, while making every effort to be the voice of reason. I realize there's little I can do to help with the current situation. While I'm proud of being the sole moderator of this forum since Day 1 of Azamara's existence, I'm sensing my role is currently diminished. I feel it's Bill's role (as CBO) to be our Captain, and navigate us through the choppy waters. It makes the most sense. Bill is the very best, and I'm thankful we have him as a vital part of our community. IMO, every Cruise line would be fortunate to have someone of Bill's caliber, as their CBO & voice of their brand. In the meantime, I hope my efforts will be appreciated on Celebrity and other forums. I'm also extremely busy with my career and life's other demands. I'm currently working 18-20 hour days, as I'm sure you've noticed with many of my patented 2 am posts. Going forward, I must manage my time more efficiently. Don't worry, I will be around, and you can't keep me quiet for long ! As Arnold Schwarzenegger would say... "I'll be back" :)

Good morning Andy,

Thank you for posting (and thank you to Phil too).

You are both absolutely right. Sometimes we are guilty of forgetting just how fortunate we are to sail with a wonderful cruise line like Azamara.

I have loved all 7 of my A cruises and the word I generally use to describe them is spectacular.

Am I a fan of the new changes? Well I think I would have preferred the status quo but it has not prevented me booking my 8th cruise and I can't wait to be aboard in May.

I am not sure about the concept of the Azamazing evenings but I will not criticise them until I have tried them. if it is not for me I'll opt out on future cruises.

But, Dale is correct. It is the shoreside operation that is letting this wonderful cruise line down.

Here in the UK Azamara staff are courteous and pleasant but rarely have the answer to the most simple of questions. Why are they not provided with a briefing manual by Miami?

Because many of us love the line so much we overlooked what we considered were teething problems. But Azamara has now been with us for more than 5 years and these issues should have been solved. And IMO as well as praising the line which I do as a matter of course, this is also a forum which allows us to express our frustrations albeit in a calm, measured and polite way.

I too have been annoyed by the brickbats hurled at Azamara by those who have not yet experienced the superb sailing experience but one thing we agree on is that the other upmarket lines provide better shoreside service.

If Azamara can improve this side of its operation I for one will have nothing to complain about.

Thank you all for your helpful and considerate posts.

I can empathize with Andy, so have replied to him privately.

I accept that it is frustrating to see new posters come on the attack, when some of you have had many happy experiences with Azamara.

Unfortunately, folk like me only have the marketing, reviews and TA's opinions upon which to base our judgement, so when we read conflicting and incomplete information, we become suspicious.

However, when we board our first AZ cruise in June, we'll do so with a positive attitude as we always have on any other cruiseship, as we have worked hard and been lucky to be able to enjoy these wonderful experiences and none of us know what is around the corner.

Thank you all for your helpful and considerate posts.

I can empathize with Andy, so have replied to him privately.

I accept that it is frustrating to see new posters come on the attack, when some of you have had many happy experiences with Azamara.

Unfortunately, folk like me only have the marketing, reviews and TA's opinions upon which to base our judgement, so when we read conflicting and incomplete information, we become suspicious.

However, when we board our first AZ cruise in June, we'll do so with a positive attitude as we always have on any other cruiseship, as we have worked hard and been lucky to be able to enjoy these wonderful experiences and none of us know what is around the corner.

Hello Tim,

I know that you will shortly enjoy your first Azamara experience and sympathise that some of the recent posts must have left you possibly questioning your decision to book.

However, like me and others you have expressed disappointment at the lack of information coming out of Miami when we have been promised it on numerous occasions. And may I say here that no blame for this is attached to the excellent Bill L who can only pass information on to us if he has it.

What has annoyed me is posters commenting and whining about aspects of the on board experience when they have not yet sailed with the line.

I know you will enjoy your cruise because you are approaching it with a positive attitude. But I always say that NO cruise ship is like home and if that is what you want stay home. Leave the rest of us to enjoy the best on board experience imaginable.

I am glad you are soon to join our happy band.

Hello Tim,

I know that you will shortly enjoy your first Azamara experience and sympathise that some of the recent posts must have left you possibly questioning your decision to book.

However, like me and others you have expressed disappointment at the lack of information coming out of Miami when we have been promised it on numerous occasions. And may I say here that no blame for this is attached to the excellent Bill L who can only pass information on to us if he has it.

What has annoyed me is posters commenting and whining about aspects of the on board experience when they have not yet sailed with the line.

I know you will enjoy your cruise because you are approaching it with a positive attitude. But I always say that NO cruise ship is like home and if that is what you want stay home. Leave the rest of us to enjoy the best on board experience imaginable.

I am glad you are soon to join our happy band.

You have no idea how much I am looking forward to my first Azamara cruise!

Azamara AND the Monaco Grand Prix:D Nothing can stop that being brilliant, I do feel for those who booked during the hype. I booked when it was wine, beer and soft drinks so all is a bonus for me, same for my second Azamara. All a bonus, whisky is rubbish though, its going to have to be mixed;)

I wouldn't even limit it to those who have never cruised on Azamara. There are some others that have cruised on Azamara who for their own reasons only seem to be combative in their posts here.

Phil

Thank you Andy for your thoughts, they are a lot like mine. As the OP of this thread, I never meant to be over critical, only to express my thoughts, which were that inspite of the changes, Azamara is a good company. I think that quoting Larry Pimentel in the context that he does not care what CruiseCritic members think is not fair. He has done a lot to participate on this web site, and with CBO Bill has done more than most cruise companies to communicate with us. And as a professional mariner I really appreciate how he managed an onboard crisis last year. That is where the "rubber meets the road" in management as far as I am concerned. As I said before, I am looking forward to returning to Azamara from Oct. 1 to Oct. 20, two B2B cruises.

"I feel it's Bill's role (as CBO) to be our Captain, and navigate us through the choppy waters. It makes the most sense. Bill is the very best, and I'm thankful we have him as a vital part of our community. IMO, every Cruise line would be fortunate to have someone of Bill's caliber, as their CBO & voice of their brand. In the meantime, I hope my efforts will be appreciated on Celebrity and other forums."

Andy, I have to disagree a little here with you, because it is you who really are the backbone of this board ( and the Celebrity Board as well) and not Bill Leiber. Bill is certainly a real asset and does a wonderful job for both CC and Azamara, but Bill is, when it is all said and done, an employee of and a spokesperson for, Azamara and his responses are going to be biased in that respect. You, on the other hand, have always been unbiased, fair, and constructive. So please do not sell yourself and your contributions short. Bill is ultimately biased of necessity, you never are.

And I, among many others here, certainly do appreciate and value your contributions, you really make it all happen.

Ed

Interesting comment.

Some ACC cruisers, upon learning of the changes announced last fall, decided to cancel future cruises, received a reimbursement and moved on. Good for them. A great decision and no doubt they're happy for making it.

As for the "hard core moaners" , what has their approach achieved? We do know that some recent arrivals on this forum end up believing that the Azamara onboard experience can't be very good.

That is both unfortunate and untrue.

I am not a newcomer to Azamara if fact we first cruised with them in Feb 2008 & have stuck with them ever since.

I was one of those people unhappy with the announcement of the new changes last year.

I even cancelled a open passage certificate when we were given the opportunity to do so late last year.

Now I have had second thoughts mainly because we would miss the onboard experience so much

Last week I booked a cruise on Journey in June which will be our 9th in 5 years & we will decide on the impact of the changes for ourselves.

Archived