New 2013 inclusive beverage program details

Bill Leiber

Bill,

Observation: This is our first Azamara Cruise and this new "all-inclusive" alcohol program is frankly coming across as very "cheap" and is not conducive to attracting customers. In fact, it looks like you are trying to make it so unappealing that customers will be forced to select a drink package. Is that your goal? Azamara has taken something that I thought was going to be a positive into something that has, excuse the pun, left a bad taste in my mouth.

Thank-you for your consideration.

Hello Mystictraveler -

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion about our new beverage program. Earlier I notified the forum members that as serving as your ombudsman, I've been summarizing for our senior management team your ongoing comments and opinions about the complimentary program and the value-priced beverage packages.

I want to point out that the complimentary wine program in place is actually the one that has been in operation since we added that feature in April 2010. The wine package menu is a new addition.

The program actually kicked-off today with the Azamara Quest's March 27 voyage, Seville to Barcelona. That means that we will begin to gather our guests' and staff's comments from a "live" setting. The "marketplace" will voice their opinions about the positives and areas for improvement for our new more inclusive beverage program.

We're in the program's "introductory phase” and will be subject to fine-tuning as it is rolled out onboard both vessels. Our executive team will be evaluating and considering actual guest feedback and its impact on program improvement. I will keep the community informed about the program on the Azamara forum.

I hope that your enjoy your forthcoming Azamara Journey vacation this May and that your experience will prove to be a much more exceptional experience than you're anticipating at this moment in time.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

I have been out of the loop but the fanfare last year for the new premium product and increased prices seems to have been a hollow promise with the need for significant upgrade beverage packages to fill the gap.

One thing that seems a bit silly is to have a liqour upgrade that includes beer only $1 more than the beer package.

Not having at least one bottled water in the complementory list is just mean and not the mark of a premium cruise line.

Vetting still needs some work

From the Q&A

Q: Is champagne included in the wine package?

A: Yes, a few select champagnes are included in the wine package.

from the wine package

Our packages include all bottles of wine valued at $50 or less. More than 60 wines to choose from, including 1 sparkling wine, 30 white wines, 3 rosé wines, 26 red wines, and 4 dessert wines

It could be considered very sneaky!

Make the inclusive beers nasty. That way a lot of cruisers will want to take up the beer package, but if you make that beer package quite high in price and then make the first spirit package only a dollar more it will probably encourage us to lay out for the spirit package as subliminally we think we are getting a good deal! :eek:

Not having at least one bottled water in the complementory list is just mean and not the mark of a premium cruise line

I am afraid that I do not understand this point. Irrespective of the new package, bottled water is always available It is constantly replenished in cabins, available at bars and also available when leaving the ship.

Not having at least one bottled water in the complementory list is just mean and not the mark of a premium cruise line

I am afraid that I do not understand this point. Irrespective of the new package, bottled water is always available It is constantly replenished in cabins, available at bars and also available when leaving the ship.

If you are going to have a water package on this page you should make the list of included beverages highlight the included water option as well as the other complimentary options.

I am a newbie to Azamara and the joys of the complimentary/options system. I do not choose to drink alcohol but like fizzy water ( no jokes about Bud, please ) and non- alcoholic beers ( same "no Bud Jokes" applies ) and am wondering how it will work. I know they, the powers that be, say that water cannot be named as it is supplied locally, but that only covers still water apparently so will a locally sourced sparkling water be available on the Complimentary list or must I buy a package ? If I buy a beer package to drink O'Douls or Buckler does that cover the water package too or do I need to buy both packages ? If that is the case It works out cheaper to buy the Spirits package which, to coin a phrase, is not logical, Captain. Water and alcohol-free beer are no comparable with spirits on a costing basis. I appreciate that given my lowly status as a virgin to the line I should watch and learn but would like to clarify matters, at least to a limited extent. Also..... can I make my package options once aboard or must it be Pre-embarkation ? These are early days for this scheme but I do hope it all simplifies and crystallises into a coherent and mutually acceptable and advantageous fully functioning system.

I am a newbie to Azamara and the joys of the complimentary/options system. I do not choose to drink alcohol but like fizzy water quote]

I am also a "fizzy" water drinker. Bill keeps saying "still" water but hasn't answered whether they will continue with the complimentary Seagrams Soda Water. Azamara has always had both tonic water (assume to make alcoholic drinks) and Soda Water, both in the dining room, bars, and in the cabins. The Soda Water was the non-premium sparkling water. My DH only drink still bottled water (no alcohol).

I am also a "fizzy" water drinker. Bill keeps saying "still" water but hasn't answered whether they will continue with the complimentary Seagrams Soda Water. Azamara has always had both tonic water (assume to make alcoholic drinks) and Soda Water, both in the dining room, bars, and in the cabins. The Soda Water was the non-premium sparkling water. My DH only drink still bottled water (no alcohol).

I would be willing to place a bet that the soda water you have enjoyed thus far on Azamara will still be one of the sodas still available gratis under the new beverage structure.

Phil

Hello Mystictraveler -

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion about our new beverage program. Earlier I notified the forum members that as serving as your ombudsman, I've been summarizing for our senior management team your ongoing comments and opinions about the complimentary program and the value-priced beverage packages.

I want to point out that the complimentary wine program in place is actually the one that has been in operation since we added that feature in April 2010. The wine package menu is a new addition.

The program actually kicked-off today with the Azamara Quest's March 27 voyage, Seville to Barcelona. That means that we will begin to gather our guests' and staff's comments from a "live" setting. The "marketplace" will voice their opinions about the positives and areas for improvement for our new more inclusive beverage program.

We're in the program's "introductory phase” and will be subject to fine-tuning as it is rolled out onboard both vessels. Our executive team will be evaluating and considering actual guest feedback and its impact on program improvement. I will keep the community informed about the program on the Azamara forum.

I hope that your enjoy your forthcoming Azamara Journey vacation this May and that your experience will prove to be a much more exceptional experience than you're anticipating at this moment in time.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hi Bill, sorry, another question for you.:)

If the complimentary wine program is unchanged, does that mean that if you do not like the chosen wine of the day then there will still be a choice of half price wines avalable, as on previous cruises?

Many thanks.

Hello Redtravel -

For the sake of good order, I want to reiterate that that we will continue to provide complimentary bottled water; however, I'm unable to state the brands of (still) bottled water that are included because they are either purchased locally or through our purchasing group and vary by area of operation.

I hope this information provides perspective to the new program.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

I understand that Azamara is to provide complimentary still bottled water.

Just with all the other new new alcohol now included it just seem cheap for Azamara not to offer at least one "fuzzy" water. This is just my thoughts. If Azamara want to be a upscale cruise line then go for it all the way. These small steps towards Azamara's goal is just making some your PAYING PAX not happy. Too many changes over too long a time makes some people (like me) move to other lines. Make all your changes and move on with the type of line you want to be (what ever it is).

This thread is getting out of control - all this fuss and nonsense about a few lousy drinks and whether they are free or not! Get a grip people once and for all.

Totally Agree with you! It reminds me of the One and Only M & M I attended 2 years ago on the Quest! I felt Really sorry for the Staff that had to be there! It was Nothing but a Complaint Session! " how come you changed the filet to a strip steak"? And " how come we don't get this or that any longer"? OMG ! I sat in the back and was Appauled at the scene!

And Thats why I will Never Ever attend another M & M Again! And I think they Complained about the FREE Beverages being offered at the get together!

Edited by BuckGood

This thread is getting out of control - all this fuss and nonsense about a few lousy drinks and whether they are free or not! Get a grip people once and for all.

The problem is the devil is in the detail when prices rise you need to know what you are getting for your money.

The promise last sept/oct was the line was changing, going to a more premium product, more inclusive and as a result prices were rising considerably on the back of the improvments.

The message was we are improving the product you will pay more(or we want to attract the people that are not so price sensitive)

The alternative was to improve the product and let the increase in demand drive the prices up to a new level with fewer discounts.

When it comes to drinks:

The reality is there was allready plenty of wine around for many hours for those that wanted it, extending the hours and adding some spirits and rubbish beers does not justify the increase in asking prices.

I am not sure much changes, some will swap wine for the include options, some will get included what they were paying for because they don't drink much wine.

It is still not clear if the current wine policy has changed beyond increased hours.

Is there a wider daily selection from the inclusive list?

What has happened to the 1/2 price daily selections.

the wine package has best average price of $28 this seems more than the 1/2 price daily offers.

Bottom line is the cruise price will find it's own level based on demand for the product.

Don't tell people they will have to pay more and not deliver.

On another note..I Really like the Beverage Packages! I will most likely upgrade to the Top Shelf Package because I like to have A Dranbuie or B&B after dinner..Plus although we will have bottles of Bombay Sapphire Gin in our suite the lower package I think $3 more is Well Worth It! Thanks Azamara for these Really good Package Plans!!

On another note..I Really like the Beverage Packages! I will most likely upgrade to the Top Shelf Package because I like to have A Dranbuie or B&B after dinner..Plus although we will have bottles of Bombay Sapphire Gin in our suite the lower package I think $3 more is Well Worth It! Thanks Azamara for these Really good Package Plans!!

I'm very pleased with them too. I can have the Ultimate Package at $18.95 per day which is over $60 per day on Celebrity. It includes some very good brands and I can have it served in my cabin if I want to as well.

Phil

Bill,

- I just can't understand why a cheap domestic beer like Bud and Bud light are included as complimentary but others like Coors Light and Miller Light are not? To me, this just has no logic. And yes, I don't like the Bud products. Can this be reviewed?

I would suggest that as the 3 beers being offered are all brewed and supplied by the same company (InBev AB) a deal has been struck on price and reimbursement that minimises the cost to Azamara.

It's possible that deals of this nature are also a factor in the strange choice of drinks available on the package, ie no Port or Sherry, poor quality Scotch, no Irish whiskey, no stouts or ales. Just a thought!

Seems the Line has No problem filling the ships ! The cruise we are booked on has gone from less than half full to Almost full now with a few weeks to go, So I'm pretty sure the price has Nothing to do with it because the prices have Not come down, as a matter of fact they have stayed the same! The only cabins that are available seem to be the Suites! Which we have booked!

And if i'm not wrong but, I think I read in some post months ago when Azamara announced the " More Inclusive " service that the prices have Not really gone up That much! Prices Always go up! The cruise lines just like the airlines, hotels, resturants are in the business to make money Not loose it!!

Some itineraries sell well(demand) some don't, the other thing you have to watch is regional price reduction where they only reduce in one country to sell cabins without others seeing price drops.

If as you say actual selling prices have not gone up much then the hype to upvalue the product has not worked.

Plenty of cabins for the 3rd April trip on the quest.

I have yet to see a deal that comes in our value point. there was a report that a transatlantic was potentialy good value through one travel agent but never found it.

The current UK promotion is flights and balcony upgrades

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/news-and-offers/cruise-deals/free-flights-to-europe.aspx

To us, part of the attraction of travelling is to try food/drinks that are not part of our normal routine. For example, I could "rend my garments" over products not available, like good Canadian beer and a favourite wine, but I can easily drink those at home.

We will be interested to see how the inclusive programme works in practice onboard.

Bill,

- I just can't understand why a cheap domestic beer like Bud and Bud light are included as complimentary but others like Coors Light and Miller Light are not? To me, this just has no logic. And yes, I don't like the Bud products. Can this be reviewed?

I would suggest that as the 3 beers being offered are all brewed and supplied by the same company (InBev AB) a deal has been struck on price and reimbursement that minimises the cost to Azamara.

It's possible that deals of this nature are also a factor in the strange choice of drinks available on the package, ie no Port or Sherry, poor quality Scotch, no Irish whiskey, no stouts or ales. Just a thought!

You could have a point here

Totally Agree with you! It reminds me of the One and Only M & M I attended 2 years ago on the Quest! I felt Really sorry for the Staff that had to be there! It was Nothing but a Complaint Session! " how come you changed the filet to a strip steak"? And " how come we don't get this or that any longer"? OMG ! I sat in the back and was Appauled at the scene!

And Thats why I will Never Ever attend another M & M Again! And I think they Complained about the FREE Beverages being offered at the get together!

Went to a meet and mingle on P&O Azura in January - 21 days transatlantic. 70 of us. No complaining, no moaning, just a thoroughly good time. But there again there was nothing to moan about! We were all British on board too.

So people were moaning at the M&M 2 years ago on Quest. Obviously there were things not quite right even back then so they are clearly not addressing the issues.

Bill,

From the first item on the Onboard Packages FAQs page on the Azamara website it looks like you are right -

"Q: How did you choose the inclusive brands?

A: The selection of inclusive brands is based on our relationships with various liquor distributors."