The Ice Bucket Solution

I've been reading a few posts about the ice buckets and how they are used in some unsavory ways, only to be quickly rinsed by the stewards and used by the next unsuspecting passenger. That got me to thinking. I'm going to bring some slow cooker liners with me to line the ice bucket. Yes, they are going to be much bigger than the bucket, but that's ok with me. The ice will do just fine in them. I just find it strange that liners aren't used. Is that really true?

I've been reading a few posts about the ice buckets and how they are used in some unsavory ways, only to be quickly rinsed by the stewards and used by the next unsuspecting passenger. That got me to thinking. I'm going to bring some slow cooker liners with me to line the ice bucket. Yes, they are going to be much bigger than the bucket, but that's ok with me. The ice will do just fine in them. I just find it strange that liners aren't used. Is that really true?

Don't believe everything you read on these threads, some like to stretch the truth. You don't have access to an ice machine on the ship so how are these liners going to help? Your steward delivers a full ice bucket and then takes the empty one.

Don't believe everything you read on these threads, some like to stretch the truth. You don't have access to an ice machine on the ship so how are these liners going to help? Your steward delivers a full ice bucket and then takes the empty one.

That was my thought, how is the steward going to get the liner in the ice bucket BEFORE refilling.

That was my thought, how is the steward going to get the liner in the ice bucket BEFORE refilling.

Simple you place the liner in the empty bucket and tell your room attendant that you want them to put the ice in the liner...the room attendant does not care as it matter little to them.

So he can't refill it with the liner in it? How hard can that be? It's going to be secure in the bucket. All he has to do is empty it and fill it. We'll see. My husband won't care one way or the other.

Are you going to stand there and watch him empty it, walk down the hall and fill it in the closet where they keep the ice machine? I doubt it. You can ask, but I bet they will just empty ice into it from one of the ice buckets they have on the cart.

Are you going to change the liner everyday? I wouldn't want ice from it by the end of the week if you don't.

I've been reading a few posts about the ice buckets and how they are used in some unsavory ways,

Huh?

Never heard anything about this...

What's next? Waste paper baskets, life preservers, extra toilet paper?

Huh?

Never heard anything about this...

What's next? Waste paper baskets, life preservers, extra toilet paper?

I heard that they clean the ice bucket with your toothbrush after they had used the toothbrush to clean the toilet. Read it on CC, so it must be true.:rolleyes:U

The ice has already sat in the bin of the ice machine, in a large bin they fill and carry on the cart to fill buckets from, and passed through the scoop they use- all of which you have no idea when they were last cleaned or how. Even in restaurants fo rall you know they filled your cup with ice with their hands. Just take a chance and use the ice bucket with no liner. The world is a dirty place, just go with it and take your chances.

When I have peeked in the ice room on some ships, I swore I've seen a dishwasher kinda looking thing. I vaguely remember seeing them all lined up upside down as if they had been cleaned and were drying out.......so if I was a betting man, I'd say they change them out "regularly" after cleaning them.

I've been reading a few posts about the ice buckets and how they are used in some unsavory ways, only to be quickly rinsed by the stewards and used by the next unsuspecting passenger.

Only on Carnival.

I've been reading a few posts about the ice buckets and how they are used in some unsavory ways, only to be quickly rinsed by the stewards and used by the next unsuspecting passenger.

Only on Carnival.

Yes, but only after they ran short of red bags.

I've seen several people post that they bring a soft-sided cooler and ask the steward to fill it with ice daily rather than using the ice bucket. The main problem with the soft coolers is they leak so you have to keep them in the tub/shower to avoid making a mess.

I've used ice from the bucket and even drank the melted water on every cruise, usually daily. (Knocking on wood!) I've only been ill once onboard and that was a head cold. Since it was January and I flew to the port, I couldn't verify whether I caught the cold from something in the ice bucket or from a coworker, plane passenger, random stranger, or fellow cruiser.

I have seen ice buckets turned upside-down on drying racks in the stewards' area when the door was left open. I didn't see them actually being washed, but the racks looked like those used for an industrial dishwasher. (I did my share of restaurant work in HS & college). I suppose the stewards could simply rinse the ice buckets with water and put them on the racks to dry.

So he can't refill it with the liner in it? How hard can that be? It's going to be secure in the bucket. All he has to do is empty it and fill it. We'll see. My husband won't care one way or the other.

On many cruises I've been on, they don't do the ice room by room when they clean. Instead, they collect all the ice buckets, go fill them and then bring them all back. So you're likely not even getting the same one back each time. Therefore, your liner is likely to end up in someone elses room.

I've seen several people post that they bring a soft-sided cooler and ask the steward to fill it with ice daily rather than using the ice bucket. The main problem with the soft coolers is they leak so you have to keep them in the tub/shower to avoid making a mess.

I've used ice from the bucket and even drank the melted water on every cruise, usually daily. (Knocking on wood!) I've only been ill once onboard and that was a head cold. Since it was January and I flew to the port, I couldn't verify whether I caught the cold from something in the ice bucket or from a coworker, plane passenger, random stranger, or fellow cruiser.

I have seen ice buckets turned upside-down on drying racks in the stewards' area when the door was left open. I didn't see them actually being washed, but the racks looked like those used for an industrial dishwasher. (I did my share of restaurant work in HS & college). I suppose the stewards could simply rinse the ice buckets with water and put them on the racks to dry.

So instead of BYOB It's BYOIB;)

Simple you place the liner in the empty bucket and tell your room attendant that you want them to put the ice in the liner...the room attendant does not care as it matter little to them.

I wonder ... is the attendant filling the ice buckets before he cleans the bathroom ... or after?

Yes your idea is great. But if you are thinking of a Carnival cruise, you had better bring something stronger than a crock pot liner!!!:D:D;)

Sorry Carnival and Carnival fans, this was only a joke.

Archived