Is it rude to bring your own chopsticks to China?

lori450

Funny, I just told my dh today that we will be bringing our own chopsticks when we travel to China next month. When we visited there the last few times we always brought along alcohol wipes and discretly wiped all the utensils before meal and never encounter any problems.

Funny, I just told my dh today that we will be bringing our own chopsticks when we travel to China next month. When we visited there the last few times we always brought along alcohol wipes and discretly wiped all the utensils before meal and never encounter any problems.

We spent 2 weeks in October on a land tour visiting Beijing, Xi'an & Shanghai and had no problem eating with their utensils on their plates and drinking from their glasses (no ice ;)) really an unnecessary precaution...JMHO :)

You may notice the locals (usually the women) will ask for a large bowl and a pot of hot water upon arrival at the table (sometimes its already there). They will use it to rinse off all the utensils and bowls; common practice nothing to worry about :cool:

We spent 2 weeks in October on a land tour visiting Beijing, Xi'an & Shanghai and had no problem eating with their utensils on their plates and drinking from their glasses (no ice ;)) really an unnecessary precaution...JMHO :)

I'm with you, taking your own chop sticks really isn't necessary. What about the plates, glasses, serving spoons? I traveled extensively in China (twice) and Tibet, ate from the dishes and utensils, no problems. Just do not drink the water or use it to brush your teeth, and carry wipes for your hands when restrooms and soap are not available, and limit fresh fruit and vegetables to what can be peeled. Take an RX of cipro for stomach illness just in case, but hopefully you won't need it.

Seriously?

If you're that concerned about the chopsticks you'd best take enough food and water to last your stay....or just stay home.

We had a fortnight in China, ate the food, drank the water, had ice in drinks and used the supplied chopsticks - not one person in our party had any issues.

We just came back from two weeks in China and found that the majority of the chopsticks given to us in restaurants were the disposable kind and wrapped in paper. In better restaurants, everything is very clean, and I don't expect that you will have any problems.

As someone else mentioned, even if you would bring your own chopsticks, you'll be using the glasses and plates, etc. You really don't need to bring your own utensils.

Mary

I am not sure about the OP's original intention in asking this question. Certainly, the clean disposable chopsticks are sanitary.

However, many tens of thousands of trees are chopped down in the rain forests of S.E. Asia to produce those disposable chopsticks for Asia and so, many in my country prefer to carry their own chopsticks with them when they eat out, to avoid using the disposable type. Maybe if the demand for "disposable" decreases, less trees will be cut down.......that is what we hope, anyway.

Kate

It's not a bad idea, nor would it be rude to do so. If you are more comfortable bringing your own, then by all means do. You may even want to purchase a beautiful set made of silver or a fine wood with intricate carving to take back home with you. Very nice chopsticks are easily found in many shops.

http://europe.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2013-03/19/content_16321413.htm

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/life/offbeat/2013/03/25/374058/Cheap-chopsticks.htm

Maryann,

You were a big help last year when I was planning our Canada New England cruise. Now a question about China. Not a cruise this time but just wondering if you have any suggestions for a hostel in Hong Kong. We will be there for a short visit next month and will consider a hostel if it comes with a recommendation. Seems as if the one with the best reviews is in Chungking Mansions and while it is central, I'd prefer a different location. Thanks.

Sharon

Maryann,

You were a big help last year when I was planning our Canada New England cruise. Now a question about China. Not a cruise this time but just wondering if you have any suggestions for a hostel in Hong Kong. We will be there for a short visit next month and will consider a hostel if it comes with a recommendation. Seems as if the one with the best reviews is in Chungking Mansions and while it is central, I'd prefer a different location. Thanks.

Sharon

Look up the YMCA Hong Kong, its near the Star Ferry and cruise terminal on the Kowloon side.

Look up the YMCA Hong Kong, its near the Star Ferry and cruise terminal on the Kowloon side.

That YMCA is not a hostel, it's a very popular hotel and it's not cheap anymore. Stayed there twice, very nice location.

I also read on the newspaper last week that the "sanitized" chopsticks were not santized. Very often they are 'recycled', rinsed (not washed), dried under the sun. That's why some of them still had stuff stuck on as workers tried to remove them afterward, using whatever ways they could think of before repackaging them.

Archived