Doctor's note and booze package?

Has anyone used a doctor's note to excuse one of your cabin members? Was it pretty easy? Or did no one know how to deal with it? And were you able to send the note into RCI and pre-pay your package or did you have to do it on ship?

Are you saying, somebody cannot go, so you want your money partially refunded? If you bought insurance through RCI, you should call them. If through a travel agent, call him/her. If it was a private insurance, call them.

Sorry, what's booze got to do with it?

Are you saying, somebody cannot go, so you want your money partially refunded? If you bought insurance through RCI, you should call them. If through a travel agent, call him/her. If it was a private insurance, call them.

Sorry, what's booze got to do with it?

I'm guessing they're saying that one of the people in the cabin can't drink alcohol for medical reasons, so they want to know about bypassing the requirement that if one person in the cabin buys the alcohol package, that both of them have to buy it.

Way I read it is.... everyone in the cabin has to buy the alcohol package, what if someone is a teetotaller or has a drink problem or an allergy to alcohol, then a doctors note would be needed to excuse that person within the cabin from buying the alcohol packege.....

I don't read anything about insurance ??

wendy

I have heard that if someone in your cabin has a medical reason to not drink, a doctor's note can be used to excuse them from buying the booze package. That way one of you can buy it and the other does not have too. But only with a medical problem.

Way I read it is.... everyone in the cabin has to buy the alcohol package, what if someone is a teetotaller or has a drink problem or an allergy to alcohol, then a doctors note would be needed to excuse that person within the cabin from buying the alcohol packege.....

I don't read anything about insurance ??

wendy

You are perfectly correct fellow country-person ;)

Its just Dayenu that mentioned insurance having not read the title of the post properly.

I have heard that if someone in your cabin has a medical reason to not drink, a doctor's note can be used to excuse them from buying the booze package. That way one of you can buy it and the other does not have too. But only with a medical problem.

Oh, yes. One other question. Can a nurse practitioner write the note? I understand they can write prescriptions.

I'm guessing they're saying that one of the people in the cabin can't drink alcohol for medical reasons, so they want to know about bypassing the requirement that if one person in the cabin buys the alcohol package, that both of them have to buy it.

Pretty sure that is what the OP asking.

I don't know if it'll fly though. Everyone will be coming with a doc's note.

Just like some of the people bring a 'note' for their 'service dog'. :rolleyes:

Pretty sure that is what the OP asking.

I don't know if it'll fly though. Everyone will be coming with a doc's note.

Just like some of the people bring a 'note' for their 'service dog'. :rolleyes:

Actually, people who must bring service dogs (for special needs, whether they are outwardly obvious to others or not) have to jump through several hoops to travel on cruise ships. One must invest a lot of time and patience into clearing a dog for cruise travel. Especially, if there are a lot of ports involved.

I would have a doctor's note for sure. We just got off Jewel, and we were at guest services and observed a very unhappy couple trying to get only one package without a doctor's note.

The husband told them his wife was pregnant and could not drink, but they "forgot " the doctor's note. She was standing there very "slouched" over sticking her stomach as far out as she could lol...( she was thin) . The husband was making a scene so the guest service person finally got a supervisor to come speak with them...never did see the outcome..but i think he may have got a package for one only to shut them up .

So the lesson here...just bring a doctor's note and you will be fine :)

P.S. We saw them later in the cruise on Key West and they were having a good ole time lol. She had also appeared to have lost weight on the cruise lol

On our recent Mariner cruise we spoke with couples where one was exempted for diabetes, and one due to pregnancy. Just like earlier posts mention. Both said it was no big deal with a note. The one that was expecting was pretty funny. We were sitting at the Champagne bar next to her and her husband and my wife looked at her glass and asked what she was having. Her answer, "A baby".

Is this comment meant for me? You didn't quote me, so I am just taking a guess.

I am 100% positive that it is true for most people traveling with service animals.

I don't know that it's that difficult. We recently saw a woman with a tiny dog in a handbag, and I asked her what 'service' did it perform. And she said it helped her anxiety...........I think she was pulling someone's leg, but the Doctor gave her a note, so she brought her little baby with her.

Glad to know about the note thing for another pax in the cabin, we have a friend who's diabetic and can't drink, so that would work for her and her husband.

I don't know that it's that difficult. We recently saw a woman with a tiny dog in a handbag, and I asked her what 'service' did it perform. And she said it helped her anxiety...........I think she was pulling someone's leg, but the Doctor gave her a note, so she brought her little baby with her.

Glad to know about the note thing for another pax in the cabin, we have a friend who's diabetic and can't drink, so that would work for her and her husband.

Dogs have long been used for people suffering from anxiety, seizures and other medical troubles that are not obvious.

I have a cruise friend who has to jump through hoops for her large service dog.

Dogs have long been used for people suffering from anxiety, seizures and other medical troubles that are not obvious.

I have a cruise friend who has to jump through hoops for her large service dog.

This will be my 1 and only post on this - but many of those mutts at sea do not meet the official definition of a Service Animal. Go look it up. Emotional support is NOT included in the definition under ADA.

Purse dogs & those in strollers belong anywhere but aboard ship.

I'm so out of this thread! Enjoy the towering inferno folks.

I am happy to know about the doctor's note. I am one person who cannot drink due to effects of alcohol. I do not drink and have no desire to drink. My entire body turns bright red red when alcohol enters my body...not a good feeling:(

This will be my 1 and only post on this - but many of those mutts at sea do not meet the official definition of a Service Animal. Go look it up. Emotional support is NOT included in the definition under ADA.

Purse dogs & those in strollers belong anywhere but aboard ship.

I'm so out of this thread! Enjoy the towering inferno folks.

OMG...lol

This is a discussion regarding dr. notes, and the topic was brought up about the dogs. No one is on a grand jury stand here.

Seriously, you are over-reacting. No one is freaking out...except you.

I am happy to know about the doctor's note. I am one person who cannot drink due to effects of alcohol. I do not drink and have no desire to drink. My entire body turns bright red red when alcohol enters my body...not a good feeling:(

Holy moley, that does not sound fun. Is it an allergy?

I haven't tried this as I intend to buy the package myself, but I did read on another thread elsewhere today (sorry but I cannot remember the link) on CC that someone else went on a RCCL cruise just last week and successfully purchased a solo alcohol package without purchasing for his girlfriend in the same cabin by presenting a doctor's note stating an allergy. So apparently it is possible given the proper documentation.

What about people that don't drink for religious reasons, or for other undocumented reasons? In my opinion, it is a little rude for them to require both parties to purchase. I understand their reasoning, but it still seems a little unreasonable.

Archived