Weather/traveling with toddlers

babymomma1

If we are going on our first Alaskian cruise in Sept. what will the weather be

like? How should I pack for inside the ship and of course outside? Did anyone bring an umbrella? Does anyone have tips for traveling with a toddler or helpful hints???? I would greatly appreciate it! :)

Definitely pack an umbrella! Better safe than sorry. For the little one, I would pack mostly long sleeves, even for inside the ship. Outside the weather will be in the 60's if you're lucky and in the 40's or 50's if you aren't too lucky. A medium weight coat for you and a heavy weight coat for the toddler. Don't forget hat, scarf and mittens!

If the toddler is under 3 years old, you can play in the children's center with the child but the child can't stay there alone. Have a great time!

I've cruised with toddlers before. The best advise I can give you is to book a room with a balcony, if you can. That way, you can sit on the balcony and enjoy the view while your little one naps. Wish we did that on our first cruise. My four year old was sick for three days and we had an inside cabin. Not a very fun cruise for anyone.

Do NOT bring an umbrella. They are useless on the ship due to wind, and often in ports for the same reason. They can also be a hazard in crowded ports. Plus, you will need your hands free to deal with a toddler. A good waterproof rain jacket with a hood is a much better option.

I'm an Alaskan and do Alaskan cruises (They're fabulous!). The weather can be anything from cold, rainy, and in the 50s all the way up to warm, sunny, and in the 70s! Usually, we get a mix of both on a 7 day cruise. In September, we see pretty warm weather in Anchorage (can be quite unpredictable, though), but on the sea, you'll probably find colder weather and more storms.

As for traveling with a toddler, though we don't have children yet, I'm always on the lookout for tips and think about the best way to travel with a young child because we hope to have children soon. The things I've determined based on observation, reading, and thinking are...

1) Book a balcony, so you can enjoy yourself while your child sleeps

2) Bring plenty of toys to entertain the child, especially at dinner

3) For dining- either eat in the buffet or if you eat in the dining room, get a table just for your family and tell your waiter that you'd like to make dinner as quick as possible

4) Take the stroller everywhere with you (I saw a family do this last summer, and it really seemed to help them. They were able to watch some shows while pushing the stroller back and forth in the back to soothe the baby.)

The good thing about an Alaska cruise is that if you do forget something for your baby, you'll be in an American port and can easily shop for what you need.

Hope to be a cruiser with a baby in a few years! I'm sure it's not as relaxing, but what fun it would be to start your child's Captain's Club membership at such a young age! That reminds me; unless it's changed in recent years, your child will not show accrued cruises until he/she turns 18. At that time, he/she can contact the Captain's Circle to request credit for all childhood cruises. I did that when I turned 18. :D

Archived