Does Carnival Have Too many Booking Categories?

yogimax

Yes, it can be confusing!

Right now, Carnival has four booking categories. When they had their sale, it was five.

Seems to me this is just too many and too confusing, especially when it comes to sales and price reductions.

Each category has their own rules and penalties and even the PVPs (or at least mine) are confused.

Guess this is a plea to Carnival to PLEASE MAKE IT SIMPLE!

Right now, Carnival has four booking categories. When they had their sale, it was five.

Seems to me this is just too many and too confusing, especially when it comes to sales and price reductions.

Each category has their own rules and penalties and even the PVPs (or at least mine) are confused.

I agree. When I told our TA that the pricing structure confused me, he just chuckled.

He used Early Saver which has worked out fine since so far we have had 2 price drops, one of which accompanied an upgrade, so far for our august cruise.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but the categories aren't confusing to me. Since we typically book through Early Saver, I don't really pay much attention to the other categories, unless a different applicable category (such as "Past Guest") has a better price. Of course, I take time to read through the rules and restrictions of the category before selecting. It would be helpful to everyone if the rules and restrictions weren't filled with a bunch of lawyer "gobbledy-gook", and were instead written out in simple language that anyone could understand.

Agreed!

Even my TA finds it easier if I e-mail a copy of the screen print that I saw the pricing on. He told me it actually saved him over 45 minutes of searching! Apparently, TA have many more categories that they book passengers under. So, even though you may not see the pricing on Carnival.com, they have access to other pricing that may even be lower than what passengers are able to see.

MARAPRINCE

I don't mind the categories as much as I mind the separate pricing for everything. It has been a while since I booked a carnival cruise the traditional way and was surprised to see that I had to choose the following for an inside:

Rate Category

Interior: Interior Upper/Lower Bunkbeds (standard for pricing)

Interior (up charge per day)

Interior window to hall (diff up charge per day)

Cloud 9 Spa Room (diff up charge per day)

Mid ship (up charge per day)

Forward (up charge per day)

Deck: Riviera - Deck R [included in price]

Main - Deck M [Add $3.80 p.p./day]

Upper - Deck U [Add $6.30 p.p./day]

Empress - Deck E [Add $6.90 p.p./day]

Verandah - Deck V [Add $7.50 p.p./day]

Vista - Deck I [Add $8.20 p.p./day]

To me this provides more options to customize the cruise but I don't like that it allows Carnival to advertise a lower price then is reasonable for the cruise. How many people want an Interior with bunk beds?

The cruised ended up being about $200 more than the advertsied price since I didn't want bunk beds, a mid ship deck, etc. I think it is misleading.

The cruised ended up being about $200 more than the advertsied price since I didn't want bunk beds, a mid ship deck, etc. I think it is misleading.

Carnival used to advertise a price of a 4A as their starting rates, and said take money off for a 1A (that is not always bunk beds as you state, depends on the ship).

But TAs advertised the 1A rate as their starting rate to mislead people into thinking they were cheaper than Carnival.

I think Carnival and the TAs need to advertise the same starting rates and besides as a solo cruiser I happen to love the 1As. If you choose a mid deck location and want to pay extra for it, that's your choice. you could have stayed forward or aft for less. I kinda prefer aft so I can take the aft elevators to the dining room or buffet. If forward PTs are available, a port hole at a 4A price on fantasy class ships, Ill book that.

Carnival used to advertise a price of a 4A as their starting rates, and said take money off for a 1A (that is not always bunk beds as you state, depends on the ship).

But TAs advertised the 1A rate as their starting rate to mislead people into thinking they were cheaper than Carnival.

I think Carnival and the TAs need to advertise the same starting rates and besides as a solo cruiser I happen to love the 1As. If you choose a mid deck location and want to pay extra for it, that's your choice. you could have stayed forward or aft for less. I kinda prefer aft so I can take the aft elevators to the dining room or buffet. If forward PTs are available, a port hole at a 4A price on fantasy class ships, Ill book that.

If you look closely, the ads typically say "Prices starting at.." or "As low as...". It's an advertising ploy that a number of companies use, not just the cruise liines. There's nothing misleading about it, but you do have to pay close attention to what you're reading.

If you look closely, the ads typically say "Prices starting at.." or "As low as...". It's an advertising ploy that a number of companies use, not just the cruise liines. There's nothing misleading about it, but you do have to pay close attention to what you're reading.

I realize that and I am smart enough to read what I am booking... My main point was that it was not done this way a couple years ago.

I don't mind the categories as much as I mind the separate pricing for everything. It has been a while since I booked a carnival cruise the traditional way and was surprised to see that I had to choose the following for an inside:

Rate Category

Interior: Interior Upper/Lower Bunkbeds (standard for pricing)

Interior (up charge per day)

Interior window to hall (diff up charge per day)

Cloud 9 Spa Room (diff up charge per day)

Mid ship (up charge per day)

Forward (up charge per day)

Deck: Riviera - Deck R [included in price]

Main - Deck M [Add $3.80 p.p./day]

Upper - Deck U [Add $6.30 p.p./day]

Empress - Deck E [Add $6.90 p.p./day]

Verandah - Deck V [Add $7.50 p.p./day]

Vista - Deck I [Add $8.20 p.p./day]

To me this provides more options to customize the cruise but I don't like that it allows Carnival to advertise a lower price then is reasonable for the cruise. How many people want an Interior with bunk beds?

These different add ons are not confusing, just frustrating.:( Rate always ends up higher, as we like mid ship, and certain decks, depending on the room category.

It most certainly is misleading and intentionally so.

Archived