Miami to Key West

ABC Cruisers

We want to spend a couple of days after our cruise in Key West. At this point rental cars seem really high ($400 for 2 1/2 days). We will keep watching the rental rates, but what's some other options we have? Is there a water taxi/shuttle that runs from Port of Miami down to Key West?

We want to spend a couple of days after our cruise in Key West. At this point rental cars seem really high ($400 for 2 1/2 days). We will keep watching the rental rates, but what's some other options we have? Is there a water taxi/shuttle that runs from Port of Miami down to Key West?

I'm having a hard believing car rental rates are that high. What are your dates and are you picking up at and returning to MIA?

There are water taxis out of Ft. Myers and Naples. They run once a day down and back. You can find it by googling water taxi, Key West.

The water taxis are actually from Fort Myers and Marco Island!

BUT, it is a 2 hour drive to Marco Island from the port of Miami and 2 1/2 to Fort Myers. You can drive to Key West in 3 hours from the port.

Thrifty's economy, compact or wild card are at $432 once the taxes and fees are added.

Thank you Skrufy for giving me an answer to my question

You would have to rent a car to get to either Fort Myers or Marco Island to grab the water taxi so it's not a good option for you as it's either a 2 or 2 1/2 hour drive just to get to those places.

There are flights that go from MIA to as well as these options.

Greyhound Lines

This bus service makes scheduled stops along the route between Miami International Airport and the Florida Keys and Key West. Phone: 1-(800) 231-2222 or (305) 296-9072.

Keys Shuttle

The company provides door-to-door service between the Keys and the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airports. (305) 289-9997 or 1 (888) 765-9997.

Florida Keys Express Shuttle

Florida Keys Express Shuttle provides shuttle service from the Florida Keys to Miami and Ft. Lauderdale airports. Mercedes full size vans are equipped with free WiFi for a relaxing commute with the best technologies available. (Maximum 11 passengers) Open Monday – Sunday, 24/7. Phone: (305) 743-7454

They also have public buses. It's a time-consuming ride, plus you'll just have to change buses once during your trip. But they're there and they're quite cheap. You take a Miami-Dade county bus to Marathon, and when you get there, change to a Key West bus to get to downtown Key West. You might have to wait for some time at the Marathon bus stop; use that time to have lunch. I don't know the route numbers or how often they run, but my best guess says once an hour at most. Search on the Miami and Key West public transit sites to find out the routes.

we are looking at Nov. 23-25, pick up at the port of Miami and returning to Ft. Lauderdale. We usually use Thrifty. I'm sure prices will drop, but we figured we would look at other options since we are so far out

You can pick up a car at the downtown Budget on 2nd on Nov 23 and return on the 25th at MIA using code Y937800 for as low as $64, $75 with tax for the entire trip.

I just plugged in the dates and that is what is popping up right now. That is a great code for Florida and I use it all the time when friends or family are traveling down here.

cjskids, is that the location the Budget shuttle will take you to from the port. I just went on there, that's a great rate!

Here is their information, I would call them as I have no idea. A taxi to this location would cost around $8 if they don't have a shuttle.

Location Name:Budget Miami Downtown Rent-A-Car

Address:89 Se 2nd Street

Miami, FL, 33131, US Downtown/port of Miami Phone Number:305-377-4410Hours of Operation: Sun 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM

Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Sat 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Archived