"Open Passages" How Do They Work?

cluso

Apparently we lost the sheet that explains how this works and I cannot find it on the Celebrity site. We purchased $200 worth onboard. The credit card was charged, but we never received any certificates or numbers. I might have put down an online travel agency, should I check with them (and can they release the certificate to me)?

Anyway, if we put $200 down, is that $200 the deposit for us, and then we get an additional $200 OBC?

Apparently we lost the sheet that explains how this works and I cannot find it on the Celebrity site. We purchased $200 worth onboard. The credit card was charged, but we never received any certificates or numbers. I might have put down an online travel agency, should I check with them (and can they release the certificate to me)?

Anyway, if we put $200 down, is that $200 the deposit for us, and then we get an additional $200 OBC?

Kim when you paid your $200 for a "open passages" the sales agent on the ship is required to give you a open booking # ; which is what you use when you book a future cruise on a Celebrity ship. That then becomes your deposit in lieu of the normal $900 deposit.;):)

If you did not get a open booking # ,then phone Celebrity about this issue & when you paid the $200 via your credit card. In fact the sales agent is supposed to give you a receipt for your $200 :o

There are 2 benefits to getting a open booking ,one of which is the amount of your depoit & 2nd that you will then get a free on board credit ;which varies by the length of the cruise which you ultimately select. We normally want 14 or more days ;which gives us a $300 OBC:D

Thank you for your input. In this case, we filled out a request and dropped it in the agents box while onboard--we never spoke with anyone. I guess I should call Celebrity. I don't remember the numbers for the credit, but kinda now remember it is based on the length of the cruise like you said. Is it the same numbers that Celebrity uses for early booking discounts?

Its important to have the reservation # they assigned to your Open Passages certificate (that you didn't receive but which you paid for!) As a previous poster said, that is the reservation # you must use when you apply it to a cruise or you will not receive your OBC and reduced deposit. It is not something that is added on to a reservation. It IS the reservation number; not all travel agents are familiar with this.

Thank you for your input. In this case, we filled out a request and dropped it in the agents box while onboard--we never spoke with anyone. I guess I should call Celebrity. I don't remember the numbers for the credit, but kinda now remember it is based on the length of the cruise like you said. Is it the same numbers that Celebrity uses for early booking discounts?

If you filled out a form and dropped in agents box while onboard, you should have received an email with your Passage Booking number. Call Celebrity and hope they can straighten the problem out.

Once your get the Booking number, put the number in a safe place for a future cruise.

I used the drop box and got an e-mail of the certificate in about a day or two. Check your spam folder; mine came from "documentation@rccl.com" but I can't say if they always do.

If you can't find it I'd call, the sooner the better IMO.

If truth be told and marketing spin put aside, then I have to say that these Passages certificates don't work.

The flaw with the program is that the Passages offer cannot be combined with any other offer. And at any point in time, Celebrity has an offer (example, 1-2-3 Promo) or special rate (example, residents rate) that is way better than the modest onboard credit offered by Passages.

Celebrity should revamp the Passages program to make them compatable with other offers or really sweeten the deal.

If truth be told and marketing spin put aside, then I have to say that these Passages certificates don't work.

The flaw with the program is that the Passages offer cannot be combined with any other offer. And at any point in time, Celebrity has an offer (example, 1-2-3 Promo) or special rate (example, residents rate) that is way better than the modest onboard credit offered by Passages.

Celebrity should revamp the Passages program to make them compatable with other offers or really sweeten the deal.

We were able to combine Passages with an early-booking incentive last spring.

To the OP: If you do not insist, the Passage booking goes to the travel agent of record for the cruise on which you purchase the certificate. The certificates are $100 each, so $200 should have bought you two certificates with two different booking numbers. We did that by mistake, but a supervisor at the Celebrity reservation desk was able to cancel the second certificate and apply the $100 to one booking when we officially booked with the certificate.

Like an innocent lamb, I jumped at the chance for this "deal" on my last =X= cruise. The future cruise agent on board made no mention of any restrictions, and I happily pocketed my voucher to be used on the next cruise. When I tried to use the voucher on my next trip, I was advised by my travel agent that the voucher could not be combined with any other incentive.

Since I almost never cruise without some sort of sale/special/inducement, my voucher is pretty much useless to me. I'm not accusing Celebrity of false advertising, just irritated that I pretty much blew $100.

Meanwhile I still love Celebrity and my upcoming Fall T.A.

And the other problem with Open Passages is that they are non-refundable. You are better off, IMHO, to put down a deposit on a cruise while on board. You do not have to plan to take that cruise. Transfer the booking reservation to another cruise you find that you do want....as many times as you want....while still keeping the reduced deposit and OBC. And if you decide to forgo cruising (horrors!) you can always get your money refunded.

We also just filled out the form while on our cruise in February. I expected to receive an email with the info on it or have it show up on our My Celebrity account. When none of this happend, I emailed Celebrity and they emailed me the information I needed.

Glendakayself,

Now I am a little confused. The minimum we could put down was $100 and both of us had to do it--so $200. I assumed that was for just one sailing, not two certificates. I hope to call Celebrity today, we did this in January.

Glendakayself,

Now I am a little confused. The minimum we could put down was $100 and both of us had to do it--so $200. I assumed that was for just one sailing, not two certificates. I hope to call Celebrity today, we did this in January.

The open passages are only $100. Odds are you each bought one. I would call X. We just recently bought two on Equinox, one for each of us, and it was $200 total. That said the sales people were really pushing that everyone should buy an open passage so maybe there was some confusion when you purchased yours.

And the other problem with Open Passages is that they are non-refundable. You are better off, IMHO, to put down a deposit on a cruise while on board. You do not have to plan to take that cruise. Transfer the booking reservation to another cruise you find that you do want....as many times as you want....while still keeping the reduced deposit and OBC. And if you decide to forgo cruising (horrors!) you can always get your money refunded.

I notice that the on board salesguy doesn't mention that the cruise bookings are refundable... I have an unused passages thanks to the 123GO, but even if I never used it, the $100 loss is way less than the 15 night drinks package for my next cruise!!

Several of the postings are confusing me. I understand that the Open Passage,s OBC feature cannot be combined with other Celebrity offers and that fact is clearly stated on my certificates. But can't the Passages be used as a reduced deposit for any cruise without receiving the OBC?

I notice that the on board salesguy doesn't mention that the cruise bookings are refundable... I have an unused passages thanks to the 123GO, but even if I never used it, the $100 loss is way less than the 15 night drinks package for my next cruise!!

Because 90% of the time or more better deals can be had and because they are almost never combinable with other offers and because they are non refundable and in my experience very confusing, I never even consider purchasing them Avoiding the sales office while on board and not worrying about when and how to use open passages makes my cruise planning and cruising itself much more pleasurable.

Glendakayself,

We were told we only had to put $100.00 down to cover DH and myself.

Several of the postings are confusing me. I understand that the Open Passage,s OBC feature cannot be combined with other Celebrity offers and that fact is clearly stated on my certificates. But can't the Passages be used as a reduced deposit for any cruise without receiving the OBC?

Yes, it can. I have used one for the 123 Promo and gave up my OBC and just used the reduced deposit to hold the cruise.

Yes, it can. I have used one for the 123 Promo and gave up my OBC and just used the reduced deposit to hold the cruise.

Thanks. I neglected to consider this option when I booked with the 123 Promo. Lesson learned.

Archived