Will Carnival Confiscate All Alcohol?

stevenr597

As I had stated, that even if the liquor is found in a closed sealed bottle, they will not store it for the passenger and return it at the end of the cruise, but rather will destroy it.

I wonder what that looks like. :cool:

To date Carnival has been lax in enforcing their ban on excessive alcoholic beverages carried aboard. However, as I stated, Princess is becoming much more aggressive.

The question is will this policy adopted by Carnival.

The technology exists and is already in place that the cruise lines can spot all the alcohol smuggled aboard. The only question is are they willing to spend the time and energy enforcing this?

The naughty room is off to the side and its where they send you to examine your luggage and take the contraband alcohol. I have never had a problem before. I had a suitcase filled with diet coke bottles and 1 of them had rum in it...same color but they shook every bottle and that one obviously didn't have carbonation and they looked at all the seals. I had a bunch of water bottles also and they shook and examined those also. Next time I will do more smaller bottles and mix in with my cosmetics and toiletries. Those seem to make it through.

We just returned from a Spring Break cruise on the Esctasy and the first thing we saw were several guys in the hot tub drinking from bottles of "wine." It appeared to me no one really check that closely. These guys filled wine bottles with another type beverage and were letting everyone know. Even the waiters who they asked for orange juice and water to mix with their drinks after they got tired of drinking it straight.

Also one of the guys was in the hot tub in his BVDs.

The only thing about this thread that bothers me is the glass wine bottles in the hot-tub. (Unless wine now comes in plastic bottles?)

I also love the 3L wine boxes - the Black Box brand is nice.

On the Magic my bon voyage bottle was delayed past the expected wait (Texas Liquor laws). When I asked our cabin steward she was unaware of our bottle and said that room service handled the bon voyage bottles. Room service Directed me to Guest services who then put back in touch with room service who ultimately delivered the bottle.

• 3 months later...

We're just back from the Freedom. We packed a 3-liter box of wine in our luggage. The luggage was delivered to our room............with a Carnival tag on the handle that said "Liquor." Don't know why they delivered it to our room if they thought there was liquor inside. Just lucky we didn't have to go to the naughty room, I guess. ;)

I recently read that Princess Cruise Lines has begun a policy in which they are making an attempt to confiscate 100% of hard alcoholic beverages smuggled aboard their ships. In addition, Princess has announced that they will destroy all of the found alcohol. A limited amount of wine may still be brought aboard, but their may also be a $15.00 corkage fee for each bottle of wine over the limit.

Carnival owns Princess Cruise Lines.

Do you think that if this policy is found to be effective with Princess, that Carnival will institute this policy on the Carnival Cruise Ships?

Who knows. Right now, they still don't have the manpower to go through every piece of luggage, so it's a crap shoot in your favor.

Worse thing that happens is they hold it till the end, as long as it's sealed.

Have never had our taken, and if it ever does, we move to phase two, buying a bottle through guest services.

The only thing about this thread that bothers me is the glass wine bottles in the hot-tub. (Unless wine now comes in plastic bottles?)

I also love the 3L wine boxes - the Black Box brand is nice.

Bota has wine in the small 3-glass plastic containers.

On our recent Splendor cruise out of NY, they didn't appear to be checking anything. We got there early and were some of the first through the security check point. No one asked if we had anything. I had 2 bottles of wine - one for me one for DH in a wine carrier. They never asked me to open it to see what was inside.

My sister had 2 bottles (one person) and one was bigger than 750ml. She had them in one of the bags she was carrying on. It went through the scanner and we just collected our bags off the little exit ramp from the scanner and that was it.

Don't know if it's always that way in NYC, but I don't recall anyone ever looking at my wine. And I usually have a bunch of minis in my toiletries bags.

On our recent Splendor cruise out of NY, they didn't appear to be checking anything. We got there early and were some of the first through the security check point. No one asked if we had anything. I had 2 bottles of wine - one for me one for DH in a wine carrier. They never asked me to open it to see what was inside.

My sister had 2 bottles (one person) and one was bigger than 750ml. She had them in one of the bags she was carrying on. It went through the scanner and we just collected our bags off the little exit ramp from the scanner and that was it.

Don't know if it's always that way in NYC, but I don't recall anyone ever looking at my wine. And I usually have a bunch of minis in my toiletries bags.

I hope it's this way this morning! We're getting ready to leave in a few minutes. I have two bottles of wine and 16 juice boxes (for real! for DD) in my carry on, but in my luggage I have 3 adult juice boxes of Black Box wine - the three serving boxes. I really packed them more out of curiosity to see if it would get through, I don't care if they get confiscated.

You should not...so many of the other threads are about hosing crew member on their tips. Good bootleggers always knew a couple bucks brought a lot of "no see 'ums"..

And then you place the crewmember in the unfortunate situation where not reporting the alcohol results in a couple of bucks, while not reporting it runs the risk of the supervisor seeing it and firing them for not reporting it. If the company is getting tough, then any crewmember who violates the company's policies is subject to dismissal, and from the company's perspective, this would be advantageous "to encourage the others". Amazing how many times I see posts about asking crew to risk their employment so the guest can break the rules.

And then you place the crewmember in the unfortunate situation where not reporting the alcohol results in a couple of bucks, while not reporting it runs the risk of the supervisor seeing it and firing them for not reporting it. If the company is getting tough, then any crewmember who violates the company's policies is subject to dismissal, and from the company's perspective, this would be advantageous "to encourage the others". Amazing how many times I see posts about asking crew to risk their employment so the guest can break the rules.

WELL SAID!:D

The Question For ALL smugglers:

Are you willing to lose YOUR job so someone else can break the rules???:mad:

I didn't think so!:cool:

Thanks jwm;

I don't care if any cruise line allows you to bring liquor onboard. I don't care about whether Carnival or Princess is cracking down on smuggling. I don't care if you feel you are entitled to break the rules. I don't even care about the ridiculous expense and effort you go through to smuggle stuff onboard. I DO CARE ABOUT THE CREW. And some of you say that you stiff the steward for reporting your contraband? How about if they report that you have a frayed extension cord, or an iron in the room? Do you stiff them for that? Walk a mile in a crewmembers shoes, and then decide how you should treat them.

I'm curious. I've never heard once on here about stewards being required to report alcohol in cabins. Now people are saying they are mandated to report or get fired. Sounds a little far fetched. Any real world examples?

I'm curious. I've never heard once on here about stewards being required to report alcohol in cabins. Now people are saying they are mandated to report or get fired. Sounds a little far fetched. Any real world examples?

Yes I agree those comments were rather farfetched from people who want to influence others not to smuggle.

Not much effort to put my 3 liter box of wine in my suitcase.

What I am saying is that Carnival's policy is to not allow liquor onboard. If, up to now, they have allowed their employees and contractors (embarkation security) to turn a blind eye, that is one thing. If however, they decide to follow Princess' policy and strictly enforce the policy, then a crewmember would be in serious trouble if they did not report this.

Let me talk a little about ships' Safety Management Systems, which are required of all shipping companies (cargo or passenger) by the IMO, and without which the ship cannot meet the flag state's requirements nor the insurance companies' requirements. Therefore, the ship and company could lose it's insurance, and without a SMS and a valid certificate of class from the insurance underwriter, the ship would not get a Bahamian or Panamanian or any country's register (think of your car title) and could not sail.

This SMS is simply put: write what you do, do what you write. The SMS covers all aspects of how the company does business both ashore and onboard the ships. The company's policies with regards to passenger carriage are included. The liquor policy would be included. Even though the SMS tends towards many linear feet of books, all crew are required to have a working knowledge of the system, and who to ask if they have questions.

Now, say a classification society surveyor is onboard for the annual SMS audit, and he is staying in a passenger cabin (which he will). He could attempt to bring a bottle onboard to test the company's security policies, and then their SMS operating policies to see if the liquor is confiscated by leaving it openly in the room. If it was not reported, he would write a "non-conformity" to the SMS, which could result in the SMS not being renewed at that time, and the ship not sailing. Are you telling me that the company would not fire the employee(s) who failed to comply with the SMS?

Folks, international crew have very few rights with regards to labor conditions, which is something the very recent Manila Convention to IMO has addressed. If you think the company cannot fire someone for any reason whatsoever, including "oh, it's Tuesday, I feel the need to fire someone", you don't know maritime labor.

Once the alcohol is in your cabin, Carnival can no longer be sure if you smuggled it or not ... without a potentially long-winded investigation.

For instance, what if you enjoyed an evening on some friends' balcony a few decks above yours. They said "take the rest of our bottle of rum legitimately purchased from the Fun Shop back to your cabin, we have another one to get through."

The cabin stewards cannot simply remove bottles of alcohol from your cabin - even if there is no record of you buying it on your cruise account, it does not necessarily mean it was smuggled.

Yes I agree those comments were rather farfetched from people who want to influence others not to smuggle.

Not much effort to put my 3 liter box of wine in my suitcase.

As I said, I couldn't give a damn if you want to smuggle three cases of liquor onboard. What I'm saying is do it as an adult, accept the possibility that it may be confiscated, accept the SOLE responsibility for smuggling it, but don't force a crewmember to be an accomplice to your act. I don't work for the cruise lines anymore, but I respect the crew and what they do, and the hardship that they face being away from home for long periods.

What I am saying is that Carnival's policy is to not allow liquor onboard. If, up to now, they have allowed their employees and contractors (embarkation security) to turn a blind eye, that is one thing. If however, they decide to follow Princess' policy and strictly enforce the policy, then a crewmember would be in serious trouble if they did not report this.

Let me talk a little about ships' Safety Management Systems, which are required of all shipping companies (cargo or passenger) by the IMO, and without which the ship cannot meet the flag state's requirements nor the insurance companies' requirements. Therefore, the ship and company could lose it's insurance, and without a SMS and a valid certificate of class from the insurance underwriter, the ship would not get a Bahamian or Panamanian or any country's register (think of your car title) and could not sail.

This SMS is simply put: write what you do, do what you write. The SMS covers all aspects of how the company does business both ashore and onboard the ships. The company's policies with regards to passenger carriage are included. The liquor policy would be included. Even though the SMS tends towards many linear feet of books, all crew are required to have a working knowledge of the system, and who to ask if they have questions.

Now, say a classification society surveyor is onboard for the annual SMS audit, and he is staying in a passenger cabin (which he will). He could attempt to bring a bottle onboard to test the company's security policies, and then their SMS operating policies to see if the liquor is confiscated by leaving it openly in the room. If it was not reported, he would write a "non-conformity" to the SMS, which could result in the SMS not being renewed at that time, and the ship not sailing. Are you telling me that the company would not fire the employee(s) who failed to comply with the SMS?

Folks, international crew have very few rights with regards to labor conditions, which is something the very recent Manila Convention to IMO has addressed. If you think the company cannot fire someone for any reason whatsoever, including "oh, it's Tuesday, I feel the need to fire someone", you don't know maritime labor.

I'm telling you that you are way out on that limb, so far it's about to break. You are trying to scare smugglers into a guilt trip that they could get someone fired because if someone decides to read into the rules extremely deeply and then hold accountable a cabin steward who may or may not have know there was liquor on board, all while a certain inspection is being held... oh come on. You know it ain't gonna happen. I simply asked for examples and apparently there are none.

I'm telling you that you are way out on that limb, so far it's about to break. You are trying to scare smugglers into a guilt trip that they could get someone fired because if someone decides to read into the rules extremely deeply and then hold accountable a cabin steward who may or may not have know there was liquor on board, all while a certain inspection is being held... oh come on. You know it ain't gonna happen. I simply asked for examples and apparently there are none.

Who's he fooling? They'll even ask you if you want it stored somewhere.

And guess what I'd do with my tips if he betrayed me while serving me?

I knew better than to throw myself into a thread with the die-hard Carnival booze smugglers. Do you think any cruiser knows when their steward gets fired, or for what reason? The only ones who would know are employees, and how many of those do you think can afford cruises, let alone have the time to post about it here? Do you think that the cabin steward is the only person who goes into your cabin? Don't you think that supervisors check their work?

You're the one who brought up guilt, feeling a little of it yourself?

I've had enough. Sorry, shouldn't have tried to inject some maturity into this subject. Signing off.

As I said, I couldn't give a damn if you want to smuggle three cases of liquor onboard. What I'm saying is do it as an adult, accept the possibility that it may be confiscated, accept the SOLE responsibility for smuggling it, but don't force a crewmember to be an accomplice to your act. I don't work for the cruise lines anymore, but I respect the crew and what they do, and the hardship that they face being away from home for long periods.

If they confiscate it so be it. BTW if we have any left over, and usually we do, will ask the steward if he wants it and they have never said no.icon7.gif

Archived