Will Carnival Confiscate All Alcohol?

stevenr597

The only poster I remember making this type of claim was G'ma, who I haven't seen post in a long time. Of course, she(?) never gave a specific ship or time, only that she(?) had seen it happen. Based on her(?) posting history, I gave it little credibility.

She(?) was all over the alcohol threads like butter on bread. And I agree with you about her posting history. :cool:

Last cruise after meeting out steward he took amazing care of us...I was sick for most of the cruise, I think he thought I was a drunk cause I was always getting sick or sleeping...I really just had gallbladder issues well my husband told him this like our third day and after that he kept bringing me ginger ale and crackers so during coversation my husband found out this rum he liked it st thomas when we were there we bought him a bottle which he took...we always gave him our unopened wine I never drank...but he never said he couldnt take it

I've had several cruises in which the cabin steward helped keep my smuggled alcohol on ice. I've only tipped a cabin steward extra one time, and it was unrelated to my smuggled alcohol. I always keep my smuggled alcohol and associated mixers in plain view in the cabin.

Same here. I do take my own alcohol on board. Never had any issues. Now, the way I pack it (more for my convenience than to hide it, but it is relativelly hidden, it would not be obvious.

But, I set up my own litle bar service in the cabin.

I still buy their overpriced drinks on board....just not nearly as much as I carry my alcohol with me while on board in an old Starbucks travel mug.

CCL, RCCL, NCL, Celebrity, HAL....never had an issue with any of them.

I recently read that Princess Cruise Lines has begun a policy in which they are making an attempt to confiscate 100% of hard alcoholic beverages smuggled aboard their ships. In addition, Princess has announced that they will destroy all of the found alcohol. A limited amount of wine may still be brought aboard, but their may also be a $15.00 corkage fee for each bottle of wine over the limit.

Carnival owns Princess Cruise Lines.

Do you think that if this policy is found to be effective with Princess, that Carnival will institute this policy on the Carnival Cruise Ships?

Glad to hear Princess is taking a hard line against smuggling and I hope the rest of the lines in the Carnival portfolio do the same. :):):)

WOW what a bunch of hot air! LOL:eek:

I've never had a steward say anything about my liquor, either bought thru Bon Voyage or magically showing up. I left liquor for stewards, shared a shot with several, never heard a thing about it. I'm sure there are some sort of "rules" and I'm sure a drunk steward in passenger areas would be fired right away... BUT I have never seen that and doubt it would happen. As for "crew bar", I've been told stories about some pretty strong parties... again these were stories, never been there.

WOW what a bunch of hot air! LOL:eek:

I've never had a steward say anything about my liquor, either bought thru Bon Voyage or magically showing up. I left liquor for stewards, shared a shot with several, never heard a thing about it. I'm sure there are some sort of "rules" and I'm sure a drunk steward in passenger areas would be fired right away... BUT I have never seen that and doubt it would happen. As for "crew bar", I've been told stories about some pretty strong parties... again these were stories, never been there.

THIS IS THE WORST ONE YET!!!:mad:

Out of sight, out of mind, eh???:rolleyes:

"shared a shot"? YOU DO KNOW THIS A PUBLIC FORUM & THAT IS A DEFINITE NO-NO!:eek:

There's a lot going on the background (including terminations) that you don't know about... Apparently, YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THAT AT ALL!

BTW This is NOT a laughing matter! But as you can do what you want, it doesn't matter!!!:(

"shared a shot"? YOU DO KNOW THIS A PUBLIC FORUM & THAT IS A DEFINITE NO-NO!:eek:

There's a lot going on the background (including terminations) that you don't know about... Apparently, YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THAT AT ALL!

BTW This is NOT a laughing matter! But as you can do what you want, it doesn't matter!!!:(

Oh please .

IF this was such a big no no the steward wouldn't take it. He would politely decline and say thank you but no thank you.

Rum runners flasks are pretty much un-detectable, we brought on over 100 ounces of booze with them. And as far as the corkage fee, I buy twist off wine and drink it from the bottle.

The corkage fee has nothing to do with a bottle having a cork or how you drink it. It is a fee for allowing outside alcohol to be brought into a restaurant. Twist off top or cork, you can still be charged the fee.

Your funny! LOL:eek:

Your funny! LOL:eek:

You've done it now . You have blown this whole thing wide open .

When they find the unknown cabin steward on the unnamed ship from the unnamed cruise line who took a drink from a man named " Bobsfamily" from IOPSC....

Heads are going to roll !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

You can run , but you cannot hide

When they find the unknown cabin steward on the unnamed ship from the unnamed cruise line who took a drink from a man named " Bobsfamily" from IOPSC....

icon7.gificon7.gificon6.gif

Rum runners flasks are pretty much un-detectable, we brought on over 100 ounces of booze with them.

If you carry them on your person, you are correct - FOR NOW. They do not get picked up by the metal detectors. However, new scanners are being used in airports that will, in fact, detect liquids on your person. Once the cruise lines start updating their metal detectors to scanners this could change.

In your checked luggage or your carry on they are absolutely detectable. X-Ray scanners can not only tell you that there is liquid in the luggage, they have some which can show the viscosity of the liquid and determine what types of liquids they are. This new technology is why some airports will let you carry a water bottle in your carry on bag. The scanner can tell the difference between water and explosive liquids.

The fact that not all rum runners are confiscated (such as the case with yours) is a testament to the person doing the scanning not bothering with it rather than the rum runners being invisible. The fact that many rum runners are confiscated would seem to bear this out.

Bob

Carnival attempts do but they do return any unopened bottles that are in the original containers. What a waste of time holding someone's bootleg liquor. :mad:

Interestingly, the Liquor Policy on Carnival's website states that unopened sealed bottles of alcohol will be confiscated and returned the day of debarkation.

When I recently did my Check In online and signed off on the Cruise Contract- it states all sealed, unopened alcohol will be confiscated and discarded.

HA!!!:D

Yes it's "walk the plank time"... I tells ya..

As for confiscating booze, Princess may be cracking down, Carnival is cracking down and part of the crackdown is checking these threads. I buy from BV now and don't worry about.

As for confiscating booze, Princess may be cracking down, Carnival is cracking down and part of the crackdown is checking these threads. I buy from BV now and don't worry about.

But think of the fun you are missing out on.icon7.gif

Yup it's time to walk the plank, but ya best get in line . :p

ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=aBqRj1B65Mx1pPl2yHPbnGtY8Iw6s%2bMeH7ZrJh8gCCA%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fsunnybarbados.net%2fjollyroger%2f05b3bac0.jpg

I have always bought from Bon Voyage or room service. The prices have now gotten ridiculous. Still, the solution would be to just drink less rather than get someone in trouble over it.

If I thought for a moment that someone could get fired for not reporting it, I would feel forever guilty and not enjoy the cruise thinking I was putting someone's livelihood in danger.

I don't judge however, so I would recommend that those that do smuggle, be less conspicuous so your steward is not held responsible. As one suggested, keep it in your luggage and out of sight. Don't put your steward in a position to have to make a choice between a gratuity or their job. You are asking them to make a stand and choose loyalties. That just isn't fair.

Interestingly, the Liquor Policy on Carnival's website states that unopened sealed bottles of alcohol will be confiscated and returned the day of debarkation.

When I recently did my Check In online and signed off on the Cruise Contract- it states all sealed, unopened alcohol will be confiscated and discarded.

Just checked online and you are correct, the cruise contract does state it will be discarded immaterial of whether it is sealed or not. I wonder if they have changed the contract (I believe the two were in line with each other before) but forgot to update the policy statement?

From the contract:

"All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne and excessive non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation."

The corkage fee has nothing to do with a bottle having a cork or how you drink it. It is a fee for allowing outside alcohol to be brought into a restaurant. Twist off top or cork, you can still be charged the fee.

Thank you! I was tired of being the one to always point this out :D

Last CCL cruise we took, we went as a family, had 3 cabins next to each other.

Next to my cabin was my sister and BIL. BIL bought liquor at one of the ports (can't recall which one). It was in a bag from the store, but the bag was stapled shut. He put it through the scanner and no one said a word to him. He took it right up into his cabin, immediately.

As far as having scanners that can detect booze, I can't say whether they do, or don't have them. But, I can say with some degree of certaintly that the cruise lines would loath having to buy very expensive new scanner technology just to maybe, perhaps, find cruisers with alcohol in their luggage.

Don't quite understand the paranoia, though. Take alcohol on board. Worst that could happen, they give it to you at the end of the cruise. Don't understand the ahnd wringing over this.

Last CCL cruise we took, we went as a family, had 3 cabins next to each other.

Next to my cabin was my sister and BIL. BIL bought liquor at one of the ports (can't recall which one). It was in a bag from the store, but the bag was stapled shut. He put it through the scanner and no one said a word to him. He took it right up into his cabin, immediately.

As far as having scanners that can detect booze, I can't say whether they do, or don't have them. But, I can say with some degree of certaintly that the cruise lines would loath having to buy very expensive new scanner technology just to maybe, perhaps, find cruisers with alcohol in their luggage.

Don't quite understand the paranoia, though. Take alcohol on board. Worst that could happen, they give it to you at the end of the cruise. Don't understand the ahnd wringing over this.

Several time I have gotten back on the ship after a day in port with shopping bags. Some containing alcohol we bought in port. The bags went right through the scanner and given back to us . No one ever looked inside.

Make friends with the steward, best 2 minutes on board if you are a smuggler. A few years back, we brought on some bags of alcohol that were obviously not purchased thru Bon Voyage, and he would ice them down for us.

We don't drink as much on board anymore, so the 2 bottles of wine and 1 Bon voyage gets us thru the 7 day cruise.

Several time I have gotten back on the ship after a day in port with shopping bags. Some containing alcohol we bought in port. The bags went right through the scanner and given back to us . No one ever looked inside.

I must be really unlucky. Tried 3 times and confiscated 3 times (given back on last night). Always get nailed by the scanner getting back on board at ports. Twice on Royal and once on Carnival. They didn't however take the little souvenir bottles I got in Cozumel though. Just the big bottles.

That's been our experience, too....not only on Carnival, but NCL and RCCL, also.

I know one time I gave the lady checking us in my bottle of Gosling Rum I bought after a day off the ship on my last Bermuda cruise. I got it back (after a looooonnnnnggg line and subsequent wait) the last night of the cruise.

But, the lady who was with me at the time, also had a bottle of rum in the liquor store bafg she just sent through the scanner with no problem whatsoever.

Bruisin....I give my cabin steward $20 on the 1st day of the cruise. He always ices down my bottles, and is always great getting anything I need. Is it because of the $20 up front? Don't know. But, it seems to work.

Archived