Cruise Critic Editor Recommends NOT to Cruise Carnival

MrPete

if it was owned by a multinational it might but we digress. this is a corp based in the US owned mostly by US nationals selling their product through mostly US Ta's. It should pay taxes on income derived from US nationals...or by using an excise tax to do the same thing. Should they pay for the use of the coast guard? there is a whole thread on that. BTW when you visit the Eiffel tower you pay significant value added taxes...an excise tax.

Carnival Corp is incorporated in Panama.

Yes! Carnival should be on the hook for Coast Guard rescues. I believe strongly each cruiser should be required to carry a travel insurance policy that will reimburse the CG if a medivac is ordered.

I LIKE the european VAT taxes. But that excise tax goes to France. Not the US based upon my citizenship.

If you are undecided about CCL. Just wait awhile - there's another BIG SALE coming SOON!:)

I can't imagine that cost cutting would be a good thing for passengers. Do people even consider that cheap-sale prices to fiill ships will likely result in even more cuts/skimping???:confused:

It's a horrid cycle this cruise line will be in if these 'mishaps' keep happening...and I agree with Sparks, CCL's mishaps affect the entire industry. I imagine a good portion of people who may have considered cruising for vacation are now going to totally veto it.

:confused: Why? It's just the opinion of a person.

As a post from you or me, the CSB comments would be fine.

But I feel an editor should be more circumspect. While they are entitled to their personal opinion it should not color their statements as much as it did in this case.

Further, the accuracy of the chocolate mints being discontinued statement has been called into question.

I can't imagine that cost cutting would be a good thing for passengers. Do people even consider that cheap-sale prices to fiill ships will likely result in even more cuts/skimping???:confused:

It's a horrid cycle this cruise line will be in if these 'mishaps' keep happening...and I agree with Sparks, CCL's mishaps affect the entire industry. I imagine a good portion of people who may have considered cruising for vacation are now going to totally veto it.

A sale is revenue cutting. It's not the same as cost cutting.

I think CCL will have to spend more rather than less to fix this issue. More spending for maintenance, marketing, and perhaps even more spending for the ship-board cruise experience (lobster, live bands etc.). And they may have to do this with less net revenue (we'll see on that one).

How do they pay for all this? They could cut the dividend to shareholders, or they could borrow more, or sell some assets. Companies who have this type of problem most often find a solution............. or go out of business.

We can all make excuses, but only yesterday, there was, again, a major problem with the Triumph.

We do not the following facts:

1) Carnival has had a major change of management with a new CEO

2) Carnival's new management has gone on a fairly rigerous program of cost cutting

3) They have cut ammenities

4) They have also cut number of crew and asked each member of do more

5) Their seems to be an inordinate numer of issues and problems in regards to the operations of their ships.

If Carnival was the only cruise line out there, we would have no choice, but with the large number of other excellent cruise lines, I for one, would not take Carnival until they make major changes in their policies including safety issues.

But I feel an editor should be more circumspect. While they are entitled to their personal opinion it should not color their statements as much as it did in this case.

Further, the accuracy of the chocolate mints being discontinued statement has been called into question.

When I read a newspaper I read the news for the facts (hopefully) from the reporters. I read the editorial to get the editor's opinion.

Now, we have all read newspapers where the editorial opinion has been heavily biased towards their biggest advertisers. Oh well, it's a business (not a great business these days:(), so I can't blame them when they do this.

What surprised me about the piece was that CC had the cahoonas to to publish it in the first place. CC must get nearly all their revenue from the cruise industry and criticizing the biggest player in that industry...

WOW talk about biting the hand that feeds you.:eek:

If bookings are down among all of the mainstream cruise lines (I have no way to know that personally) then I would suspect it is because of the bad press that CCL has gotten. I know that my non-cruising friends make reference to that when we talk about cruises (and they had been open to cruising before, but are not interested now).

So people avoiding Carnival have not been re-booking on other cruise lines? Shocking.

Really surprised that CSB, if quoted correctly, would express such a negative opinion of any cruise line let alone the largest one. I am sure she has sailed on Carnival ships before and will do so in the future. Fine to state something like Carnival seems to be have a run of bad luck/problems, but I am sure they will straighten everything out. Does not leave a very professional opinion with the reader.

I don't remember anyone who reviews ships professionally for a living coming out and saying you should not cruise Costa after their disaster where lives were lost and the crew's conduct was very questionable.

MARAPRINCE

And the beat goes on. We booked with another line for January, just because we're tired of the CCL continued sameness on every cruise and after seeing the really pathetic "entertainment" on The Breeze last December. Will we ever cruise with CCL again, probably, but it's simply no longer our first choice.

its the same as a car magazine editor saying "Dont Buy Ford" Regardless I doubt Carnival Cruise Lines will be sending her a Christmas card

CSB shares the opinion of many in the industry as well as in the travel agent community.

A rumor floating around that CLIA might also be offering a future public opinion about the current state of some of its membership.

That could certainly be interesting, if it does occur.

Hypothetically, of course. ;)

He seemed to say a whole lot of nothing.... I am happy with Carnival.

But, yes, I can see where the mob mentality has taken hold here on Cruise Critic, and that is why I am exploring more positive cruise boards. I just want to talk about my vacation, and have fun... the way it use to be.

A rumor floating around that CLIA might also be offering a future public opinion about the current state of some of its membership.

That could certainly be interesting, if it does occur.

Hypothetically, of course. ;)

Really, where did you see that?

CSB shares the opinion of many in the industry as well as in the travel agent community.

Please would you tell me how you have insight and knowledge to back this up? Cruise Critic seems to have a core leadership of posters who are negative and disruptive and yet seem to think they are the most important voice in cruising. Laughable.

just got off the Miracle this past Sunday morning, we had chocolates all 15

nights of the cruise

OK Guys and Gals, this preoccupation with chocolates is going WAY TOO FAR.

And I like chocolates.

Signed,

Forest Gump

:p

No, awhile ago a ship didn't receive its shipment so sailed without them. CCers on the cruise complained about a cutback.

I sure hope they called customer service and were given at least a 50% refund on their cruise!

:p

• Administrators

I just wanted to clear up a few things (I'll leave issue of the opinion of our Editor in Chief alone as it isn't my place to speak for her):

Cruise Critic is a part of the TripAdvisor Media Group; has been since 2007.

TripAdvisor was spun off from Expedia last year. PRESS RELEASE

Cruise Critic is not a travel agency, we do not sell cruises.

TripAdvisor is not a travel agency; they do not sell travel or cruises.

its the same as a car magazine editor saying "Dont Buy Ford" Regardless I doubt Carnival Cruise Lines will be sending her a Christmas card

I agree 100%. By being willing to provided a reasoned criticism of a significant player in the industry, the writer, in my views, gains considerable credibility. There is nothing biased about providing valid criticisms if they are arrived at independently. Indeed, I would consider that to be her job.

... .... I am happy with Carnival.

... I can see where the mob mentality has taken hold here on Cruise Critic, and that is why I am exploring more positive cruise boards. I just want to talk about my vacation, and have fun... the way it use to be.

I don't know if that's "the way it used to be", but I don't consider that to be the function of this discussion board. It is called "Cruise Critic". It isn't "Cruise Happy Talk" or "Cruise only the good points, ignore the bad." I come here primarily to help identify problems to avoid. I'm generally only interested in hearing positive experiences to the extent that they help me avoid negative ones in the future. I don't come here to read rosy stories to feel warm and cosy inside.

just got off the Miracle this past Sunday morning, we had chocolates all 15

nights of the cruise

Does the Miracle have webcams? We will be on her in Sept but sure would be nice to watch her now! LOL

We did that on the Magic before we sailed her last year. Increased our pleasure, so to speak!

Archived