My Time Dining or 6PM dining?? SO Confused!!

We're going to be on the Oasis next February. As of right now we are booked for 6PM dining. Now I'm thinking I would rather do MTD. It looks like we would miss the sunset every night which is one thing I'm really looking forward to. Also we will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary so I kind of just want to eat alone versus a big table of people each night. Can I contact our TA and switch over to MTD or is it too late for that? Can my husband and I request a 2 top? Do we do that now or when we show up at the dining room each night? Also I don't want dinner to be rushed but if we do MTD is there plenty of time to get to shows? Do we have to make reservations ahead of time or can we just wing it? I don't mind a 15-20 minute wait, but I don't want to miss shows either. What do you prefer? Any cons of MTD? Sorry for the million questions, haven't been on a cruise in 10 years

You can call and have your TA switch now. You will need to pre-pay the gratuties if you do MTD, just FYI.

Can can just show up or you can make advance reservations online or you can make them when you board.

Just like any on land restaurant if you just show up a a peak time you may have a short wait for a table.

Yes you can definately get a table for 2 using MTD.

I would contact your TA & ask them to make the change now...they usually hold back some spots for people to change onboard, but MTD is quite popular now so I wouldn't take the chance of waiting..

Yes...you can request to sit alone each evening when you get to the dining room...they "suggest" reservations...but they are not necessary...you may have a brief wait...or if you are in the mood you can ask to be seated with other people...

I enjoy MTD and have never had a problem being seated without a reservation...

You can call and have your TA switch now. You will need to pre-pay the gratuties if you do MTD, just FYI.

Can can just show up or you can make advance reservations online or you can make them when you board.

Just like any on land restaurant if you just show up a a peak time you may have a short wait for a table.

Yes you can definately get a table for 2 using MTD.

Actually I think since the new tipping/service charge policy went into effect you no longer HAVE to pre-pay your tips for MTD...I think you CAN if you want...but it's not required...

You can call your TA and you can also change after boarding by paying the tips.

We have found it easier to work with show times on O class by using MTD, it's flexable and you can eat at different times.

Actually I think since the new tipping/service charge policy went into effect you no longer HAVE to pre-pay your tips for MTD...I think you CAN if you want...but it's not required...

You think? Is this documented somewhere? Sincerely asking, not being facetious.

You think? Is this documented somewhere? Sincerely asking, not being facetious.

I've not seen this yet. I believe tips still must be prepaid to be assigned to MTD.

Cruiskin- MTD is perfect for what you want! No hustling back from port to dress, you can relax on deck, enjoy the sunset ( which is around 5-6 that time of year) and dine later, but not so late that you miss shows or have trouble sleeping;)

Call the TA, have the change made now, should be no problem this far in advance! MTD, has many two tops and you can almost always be accommodated immediately as a walk in or with a short wait and if you book ahead for 7 or 7:30 every night, you won't wait at all! When you book your reservations ( in a few months they will be open) just check of " by ourselves" rather than "with others" and you will be seated at a two top. If you meet new friends ( if they have MTD) you can change it anytime! If you like your waitstaff you can request them the rest of the trip.

Enjoy your romantic cruise!

Ps I have no idea when you will pay tips, but you have to do it automatically at one time or another, and don't know about your bank, but mine doesn't pay more than 1% so you aren't losing much even if you have to prepay!

I had heard that I do need to prepay gratuities with MTD which I'm a little disappointed about, as I was going to use my OBC to pay for them at the end of the cruise. Can I use this OBC to pay for part of the premium drink package instead? Totally different subject and I know I can't mention TA's by name, but this is the first time we've ever used one and they offered us a pretty nice OBC for booking with them. Sort of stresses me out a bit that RC knows nothing about this credit until a couple of days into the cruise and that I just have to trust them to credit me...does everyone always have good luck with receiving them?

Cruiskin- MTD is perfect for what you want! No hustling back from port to dress, you can relax on deck, enjoy the sunset ( which is around 5-6 that time of year) and dine later, but not so late that you miss shows or have trouble sleeping;)

quote]

Thanks You!! You guys have been most helpful. MTD just seems to make the most sense for us!! :) Just hope we'll be able to switch things around

Always take with you documentation for any OBC. It will save you a lot of headaches. Written proof always helps speed up a process.

As for MTD reservations...on Explorer we found that they take reservations for 5:30, 5:45, 6pm, 7:30, 7:45 and 8pm. They do not take reservations between 6pm and 7:30pm. They do this because they want to have 2 seating per table. A table held for 7pm typically cannot be used twice for that evening.

So, if you want 7pm....just show up.

We are booked for MTD and you most definitely still have to prepay tips in advance.

Post #5. Change after boarding and OBC will cover the tips

This strategy will indeed work, but you run the slight risk that MTD will be completely full when you get onboard. While I think it is true that they hold back some MTD in anticipation of people wanting to switch once they get onboard, what happens if you are not one of the first people to board and then get shut out of switching? I say make the switch now, surely you will find other reasons to use your OBC during the cruise - whether it be drinks, specialty restaurants, playing bingo, exercise classes, or shore excursions.

On a related note, the OP is asking about getting a 2 person table. I understand that it's easy to get for MTD, but what if the OP is stuck with the 6 pm dining room time? I thought several years ago, RC asked on the website whether you prefer a small or a large table. Doesn't seem to be in any part of the reservation now when you make it online. I suppose you're just supposed to call them and request or request it once you get onboard?

Always take with you documentation for any OBC. It will save you a lot of headaches. Written proof always helps speed up a process.

As for MTD reservations...on Explorer we found that they take reservations for 5:30, 5:45, 6pm, 7:30, 7:45 and 8pm. They do not take reservations between 6pm and 7:30pm. They do this because they want to have 2 seating per table. A table held for 7pm typically cannot be used twice for that evening.

So, if you want 7pm....just show up.

We just sailed on Explorer last week and I had standing dinner reservations for each night at 6:30 PM. Booked on line and had no trouble whatsoever with selecting this time slot. We never had to wait. And we had a 2 top to ourselves in the same section (even same table for all but one night) with the same wait staff.

I think you are wrong! We just booked MTD three weeks ago and still have to prepay our grats. It is still required according to what we were told by RCI.

You won't miss the sunset in February with 6PM dining. It sets earlier than that.

You will have less of a chance of getting a table for two.

With those of us that have special dietary needs, the advantage of fixed seating is that your wait staff gets to know what you can eat.

I just booked an Alaskan cruise for June 2014 and requested MTD. I did have to prepay tips.

Your OBC will apply to any expense incurred on board, so "yes" to the drink package question. I also always take a print out of my OBC from my TA, but I have never had to use it in many, many cruiss. It always shows up and usually on the first day. On my Mar. 3 cruise it didn't post until the third day.

One does not pay tips for MTD till final payment, unless you book inside of FP

Let's not split hairs that don't need to be split.

I think when we say we prepay tips when we made our booking is with the understanding that the actual payment doesn't come until we of course all make final payment. This is different than paying for tips at the end of the cruise.

OK....Obviously I "THOUGHT WRONG!!! I honestly thought I had read in one of the NEW TIPPING policy threads that you were given the OPTION to Pre-pay your tips with MTD but were no longer REQUIRED to....apparently this is not the case...OR it has NOT been fully implemented with RCL....a thousand pardons...ya'all!!

Don't feel bad KC - you were trying to help!

One thing I discovered this cruise... I book with a TA who usually includes pre-paid grats as a "gift." We decided about a month ago we wanted to do MTD, so I just assumed that my TA gifted pre-paid grats would cover it. Not so. Turns out they don't apply the pre-paid grats to the account at the beginning of the cruise -- but rather closer to the end.

So I ended up having to go ahead and pre-pay them, then the TA's grats are being applied to my account as OBC.

I presume I could have switched to MTD once on board, but I really didn't want to mess with lines and such.

Since this is our first time doing MTD, I do want to confirm with those of you who seemd to have experience with it... If I don't want to go online and pre-book a nightly reservation now, can we just come to the dining room when we are ready for dinner each night? We're certainly okay with waiting a little while to be seated. It just seems to defeat the purpose of dining when you want, if you have to pre-book it months in advance!

thanks,

Ann

Archived