What if?

puggylicious

What if a filling or a cap comes off while at sea? Do they have anything in the infirmary to get you through until you get home? Anyone have any experience with this?

They will make arrangements for you to see a local dentist at the next port of call.

You might also go to a pharmacy before you leave. Ask them for a product that you can use temporarily and take it with you. For example Dent-temp or Temp -dent.

Also see your dentist just before you leave to make sure everything is in A1 condition.

What if a filling or a cap comes off while at sea? Do they have anything in the infirmary to get you through until you get home? Anyone have any experience with this?

I had a temporary cap come off. I went to the infirmary, and purchased an adhesive kit they had on board. We were on a TA. The temporary was almost destroyed, so the kit didn't work. I just had to live with it and didn't smile for the remainder of the cruise. :D

I recently had a temporary crown put on and had to travel. My dentist give a little kit with to compound to mix that creates the adhesive they use on temporaries. My cap did come off but I was able to stick it back on and it lasted till I got home. He gave me enough to be able to do it more than once. The dentist had a heck of time getting it off again!

I can confirm - bring what you may need, nothing on board to help!

My mom broke her denture on day 2 of a transatlantic on Navigator OTS (huge ship). No can do... not even glue!

We only had one stop in Bermuda before 7 days at sea. Ended up buying crazy glue as none of the 4 pharmacies we went to had a repair kit...

That was a cruise to remember... :mad:

MC

I recently had a crown put on a tooth. My dentist knows I travel for business a lot so gave me a tube of a denture adhesive (fixodent I think) and said if the temp comes off fill it up with the adhesive and put it back on.

I think the adhesive they use for the permanent crowns is very difficult to turn loose. I recently had to have a root canal on a crowned tooth and rather than take the crown off my dentist went through the crown. Less likely to break the crown going through it rather than trying to get it loose.

Yes, I pay for my dentists cruises as well as my own :). But he is relatively painless so I don't really mind.

I have a lot of crowns I have had temps come loose but to be honest I would not take a cruise with a temp unless it could not be avoided.

Temps get pulled off so if you do have one best advice is not to east anything sticky on that side of your mouth and try to be as aware as you can to make sure you don't chew your temporary by accident. I have never had a permanent one come off and I have some that are almost 30 yrs old.

Bringing a temp repair kit is really good advice and since I am taking a 15 day TA I am glad this thread came up.

link to the stuff

http://www.walgreens.com/q/filling-repair

I would talk to a dentist who is or should be the expert. I have had crowns come off at home after office hours. While getting it reset I was told as a temporary situation or emergency to put the crown back into place using tooth paste as the "glue" but to be careful about chewing on it.

So glad this topic came up as I was just thinking about this. I have a filling on my front tooth to cover a chip and hate when it falls off because it makes me very self conscious. Just made a dentist appt. for May right before my Mediterranean cruise early June to make sure all is secure and I will ask him what to do if it falls off. Glad to hear there are repair kits.

You might also go to a pharmacy before you leave. Ask them for a product that you can use temporarily and take it with you. For example Dent-temp or Temp -dent.

Also see your dentist just before you leave to make sure everything is in A1 condition.

EXACTLY! We do this each and every time time!:)

I wonder how long those kits last unopened? Yikes, I've had mine about 5 years and it could be all dried up by now - probably time to buy a new one. Really cheap insurance for this type of potential problem!

Our friends' son chipped his front tooth pretty badly while on a water slide in Puerto Rico. He had a temporary crown put on it at a dentist in San Juan. It was very inexpensive, was done quickly and professionally on a Saturday during a holiday weekend. Made me want to go there for all of my dental work in the future! :D

I wonder how long those kits last unopened? Yikes, I've had mine about 5 years and it could be all dried up by now - probably time to buy a new one. Really cheap insurance for this type of potential problem!

Just ask for one at your dentist's office the next time you go in to get your teeth cleaned. There is no charge for them.

(At least there never has been at our dentist's office.)

Just ask for one at your dentist's office the next time you go in to get your teeth cleaned. There is no charge for them.

(At least there never has been at our dentist's office.)

Will do that - my dentist is my husband's nephew, so I'm not sure why I never thought of that previously! :)

Archived