How is the corkage fee distributed?

happy cruzer

Hi, On my last cruise in March, I visted Guest Services to ask about the corkage fee. I wanted to know how the corkage fee was distributed. Does Princess keep it all or does part go to the servers? The rep said that she did not know. I asked again. She then said that she thought that it all went to Princess because it was just like buying a bottle of wine. I stated that when you buy a bottle of wine there is a service fee added. Then she said she was pretty certain that it went to Princess. She was not interested in finding out the answer so I gave up. I asked a waiter(one who also worked in the MDR) in the Lido and he said Princess keeps it all.

Can anyone confirm if Princess Cruise Line keeps the entire corkage fee? Other lines give part of it to servers.

Thanks.

I gotta ask, what does it matter? Why do people try so hard to figure out where the money goes and to whom. Less stress to just pay and let it go because it's really not our business. Have a good time and enjoy your wine where ever you decide to drink it.

I gotta ask, what does it matter? Why do people try so hard to figure out where the money goes and to whom. Less stress to just pay and let it go because it's really not our business. Have a good time and enjoy your wine where ever you decide to drink it.

I have to disagree, I'd be interested to know as well. If everyone pays corkage and brings wine all the time, that would take money out of the pockets of the service staff if Princess keeps the whole corkage. As such, it would be nice to know in case you want to give a little extra for great service even if you are bringing your own wine.

I think knowing where your money goes is definitely your business. I haven't been a member for long on here, but I can see how much some members concern themselves with taking care of the people who take care of them on their vacations. I think concern about the welfare of the people who keep the ship up and running is great.

I gotta ask, what does it matter?

I have to disagree, I'd be interested to know as well.

You both make good points...

Ordinarily, I don't concern myself with the minutiae regarding where my tips go. In shoreside restaurants and hotels I just go with the flow and very rarely concern myself with where my tip dollars end up.

However, onboard a Princess cruise ship it's quite different. Personally, I don't care how the corkage fee is divided. However, a cruiser needs to know the consequences of removing daily automatic tips and distributing cash tips as they see fit. Also, knowing a tip added to the guest check in a specialty restaurant goes into the pool while a cash tip goes directly to your server is beneficial IMHO.

I, too, wish we didn't need to concern ourselves with the way Princess handles tips, but if we want the proper crew members rewarded, it's necessary.

Lew

This is probably a valid question in light of the new carry-on wine policy. Previously, if you brought a bottle on board and consumed that bottle in a dining room, the corkage would be collected at that point. If you consumed the wine in your room there was no corkage fee. With the new policy, the corkage on every bottle but one is collected when you board and there is no charge in the dining room. If you buy a bottle on wine in the dining room there is a 15% gratuity that I assumed went into a tip pool. Under the old policy I also assumed that part of the corkage fee went into the tip pool. Those assumptions might have incorrect but if that was the case the tip pool would be impacted by wine you brought on board. Under the new policy corkage is collected on bottles that are not touched by princess staff. On addition, when you buy a wine bottle package the gratuity is collected up front when you buy a package. I know I am over thinking this but I am certain that Princess staff that are part of the tip pool want to know the answers as every dollar counts.

By leaving my auto tips intact and paying my corkage fee when indicated (no smuggling here) I've done my part. If the crew is unhappy with the way Princess distributes this money it's up to them to take it up with Princess. Most of crew I've come in contact with like working for the cruise line and state it's better income then what they would earn in their home country. They are also long time employees so they must feel comfortable in their positions to stay so long. The Matre D on my last cruise was there for 28 years. People spend too much time counting others people money and passing judgement.

If people want to tip extra then just do it. No need to come to these boards and brag about it. I seriously doubt people tell the whole truth on these boards, I see a lot of "puffing".

You both make good points...

Ordinarily, I don't concern myself with the minutiae regarding where my tips go. In shoreside restaurants and hotels I just go with the flow and very rarely concern myself with where my tip dollars end up.

However, onboard a Princess cruise ship it's quite different. Personally, I don't care how the corkage fee is divided. However, a cruiser needs to know the consequences of removing daily automatic tips and distributing cash tips as they see fit. Also, knowing a tip added to the guest check in a specialty restaurant goes into the pool while a cash tip goes directly to your server is beneficial IMHO.

I, too, wish we didn't need to concern ourselves with the way Princess handles tips, but if we want the proper crew members rewarded, it's necessary.

Lew

Well said Lew & probably how many of us also feel. I understand why the PSD rep wouldn't know about how the fee is disbursed as they transition to this new procedure. Hopefully a percentage of the corkage fee has always been added to the tip pool like the 15% gratuity for purchased bottles of wine.

Can anyone confirm if Princess Cruise Line keeps the entire corkage fee? Other lines give part of it to servers.

Thanks.

Hopefully a percentage of the corkage fee has always been added to the tip pool like the 15% gratuity for purchased bottles of wine.

One clue might be all the posts on Cruise Critic about the times that the dining room staff did not charge the corkage fee. I would think if the waiters there received any part of the corkage fee they would be sure it was collected every time possible.

One clue might be all the posts on Cruise Critic about the times that the dining room staff did not charge the corkage fee. I would think if the waiters there received any part of the corkage fee they would be sure it was collected every time possible.

That's an excellent point...thanks.

Our prior experiences of not being charged for every bottle has recently changed & corkage was charged for each bottle. Others may have different experiences but that has been our recent experiences

There has been speculation that the waiter preferred getting a tip vs. collecting the corkage fee. Speaking of another line, the corkage was 10 dollars with 1.5 going to the server. It was speculated that he would do better just with tipping since many were doing about 2dollars per night or more. But it may be that lines just take the entire fee now. I would like to know since I typically have lots of corkage fees:)

Archived