Veendam/Jumbo Screen at Retreat-Stern

sail7seas

We are doing our usual b-to-b on Maasdam (hopefully) in July but Veendam has a one week Boston to Boston they are doing once this summer. We have done it before and love that cruise. It hasn't been offered in about 3 years and who knows when it will be offered again.

BUT it's on Veendam...... drat! Wish it was Maasdam. :)

This sort of what the view looked like in January and February. All this about there being no view is slightly exagerated in my opinion. I sat out there even during the cold days, and in the back and to the sides and even having breakfast out there, we had view towards the back. Yes, the two hot tubs on the daise block the total view. But it's really not all that bad. Of course that's our opinion.

This is having breakfast out there, looking toward the back. The hot tubs are to the left of the photo.

IMG_3015.jpg

Here you see the daise with hot tubs:

IMG_3016.jpg

Sitting on the side, what you see behind the chair is that platform where the hottubs are on. Actually, if you stand up there, you can make some very nice photo's.

2013-02-032013-02-03002001.jpg

2013-02-032013-02-03002001.jpg

Yes, that's the view when you sit out there and look around. Not much of a view at all. The other S-ships have an expansive view over the pool on Navigation Deck. No matter where you sit, you can look out to the sea in every direction.

The new Retreat fills the same footprint as the first one, but is much higher. It's taller than I am, so is pretty dominant when you head out there.

Yes, that's the view when you sit out there and look around. Not much of a view at all. The other S-ships have an expansive view over the pool on Navigation Deck. No matter where you sit, you can look out to the sea in every direction.

The new Retreat fills the same footprint as the first one, but is much higher. It's taller than I am, so is pretty dominant when you head out there.

Those last photos sitting in the lounge chair seem to be what I was referencing. The wonderful views we know from all our times on all the "S" ships are blocked by those ugly tubs.

Thank you so much for posting these photos. Really gives a true idea of how poorly designed that area is. How frustrating to sit aft at an outside deck area and not be able to see the sea or any views when in port. Ridiculous.

From the previous photos it looks like there is a ramp up to the hot tubs, that's a nice feature for the disabled. I've never seen that on any of the other HAL ships.

The other ships haven't needed one (with the possible exception of the Rotterdam post-Retreat).

Yes, there is one ramp. It's on port side, close to the superstructure. It can get very slippery on the deck by the entrance to the ramp. When there is spillage from the hot tub area, or rain, the water tends to pool in the area at the bottom of the ramp. It makes for dangerous walking if you don't know to be alert and walk around it.

From the previous photos it looks like there is a ramp up to the hot tubs, that's a nice feature for the disabled. I've never seen that on any of the other HAL ships.

It's really too bad a ramp is needed. No other "S" needs one and Veendam never did until this refit was done.

Carol...that is the original re-fit on the Veendam. It's been re-done again since that one...a 2nd re-fit. That is NOT the retreat we had in May...so not the Retreat you had in June.

Woops. My bad.I didn't look carefully enough before I posted. That is the poolette from the first version.

The other ships haven't needed one (with the possible exception of the Rotterdam post-Retreat).

Yes, there is one ramp. It's on port side, close to the superstructure. It can get very slippery on the deck by the entrance to the ramp. When there is spillage from the hot tub area, or rain, the water tends to pool in the area at the bottom of the ramp. It makes for dangerous walking if you don't know to be alert and walk around it.

Ruth, it has been our experience that my son has not been able to get to the hot tubs without sliding over on his bottom because it was impossible to get a chair up to them. He doesn't have the use of his legs at all so even sliding is difficult. We realize that everything can't work for him but a ramp could be nice in his case. I don't understand why you think that the other ships couldn't use a ramp, perhaps I am missing something. Thanks for the tip on the slippery aspect of the ramp. We will be on the Veendam this July.

We realize that everything can't work for him but a ramp could be nice in his case. I don't understand why you think that the other ships couldn't use a ramp, perhaps I am missing something.

OK, I see what you're talking about now. I was picturing the aft pool area on the other S-ships, without a hot tub there. The aft pool has a barrier all around it, which holds splash in the pool, and prevents it from spreading all over the deck---except in very heavy seas.

I see that as difficult to have a ramp, because it's already at deck level. To build a ramp that goes up, over, and then down, would take up a lot of space for others to trip over.

Now, in the Lido area, where there is a raised hot tub, I agree that a ramp could be helpful. Those two steps can be impossible.

In that area there's already an opening in the barrier, so prevention of runoff is not a consideration.

We were on the Feb. 20 cruise on the Veendam. Our stateroom was right below the retreat... we did not hear any loud music or have a problem with the chairs from above. The retreat now has hot tubs with deck chairs around the sides of the tubs. We did not have any outdoor movies. The retreat is a good area for viewing, as most people tended to view the cruise from more forward locations. The retreat also has a pizza bar and a regular bar. Just inside is the lido. On the far starboard corner of the retreat is a little used stairway to the Navigation Deck (good secret if you have a aft Navigation Deck stateroom!).

When we were on her last May to and from Bermuda, it was not working..I have no idea if they've fixed that problem. I had the impression they didn't intend to fix it.

Keep it that way. I had enough of that on the one and only Princess cruise.

• 5 weeks later...

It wasn't used and/or working on the South American cruise that ended May 1, 2013. Part of the time some of the screen was actually missing. But it was replaced towards the end of the cruise. But we never saw it on, nor did we see anything scheduled for it in the daily program.

Greg

Greg is right. It wasn't on.

The only time we heard loud music was in Grand Cayman, wafting over from the Disney Magic. I don't know how the people over there could sit on their pool deck with a cartoon film blasting at them.

It wasn't used and/or working on the South American cruise that ended May 1, 2013. Part of the time some of the screen was actually missing. But it was replaced towards the end of the cruise. But we never saw it on, nor did we see anything scheduled for it in the daily program.

Greg

Thank you for the recent update.

Greg is right. It wasn't on.

The only time we heard loud music was in Grand Cayman, wafting over from the Disney Magic. I don't know how the people over there could sit on their pool deck with a cartoon film blasting at them.

That sounds as bad as when we were in Crown Bay with the Emerald Princess.

There is quite a distance between the 2 ships. When I went out on our verandah (HAL ship), I could hear all types of loud sound. I looked over towards the Emerald and saw MUTS -- Movie Under The Stars. We could actaully watch and hear the movie. I don't know how the people in the cabins under MUTS could stand it -- all day and all night. We were scheduled to cruise on the ship in a suite about 2 or 3 decks under MUTS. When we got home, we cancelled that cruise.

Uh oh. We're scheduled on the Emerald Princess for a Baltic cruise in August. We chose the EP over a HAL ship only because we are traveling with my sister, who is an Elite member with Princess. The Princess schedule also was later in the season -- after high summer. I hope with fewer families on board the MUTS will be less prevalent. My sister, however, said that watching MUTS with her late husband was romantic. DH and I will let you know...

Mrs M

I hope with fewer families on board the MUTS will be less prevalent. My sister, however, said that watching MUTS with her late husband was romantic. DH and I will let you know...

Mrs M

MUTS is a nuisance any time of the year.

Archived