Modern Luxury = Loud Music???

bobnjeff

Here is a chart of decibels for different loudnesses. Note that the OSHA daily permissible noise level exposure for 95 decibels is 4 hours. Also, a piano is 85 - 103 decibels, a violin is 82 - 92 decibels, a flute is 92 - 103 decibels and Symphonic music peak is 120 - 137 decibels...I've never heard someone complain about a violin or flute or symphony.

High frequency sounds of 2-4,000 Hz are the most damaging. The uppermost octave of the piccolo is 2,048-4,096 Hz.

Weakest sound heard 0dB

Normal conversation at 3' 60-65dB

Telephone dial tone 80dB

City Traffic (inside car) 85dB

Truck Traffic 90dB

Jackhammer at 50' 95dB

Subway train at 200' 95dB

Hand Drill 98dB

Power mower at 3' 107dB

Snowmobile, Motorcycle 100dB

Power saw at 3' 110dB

Sandblasting, Loud Rock Concert 115dB

The dining areas. Especially the main dining room. I a large room with 1000+ people it is already going to be a very noisy space. Why add loud rock style music on top of that. People have to talk over it so it gets louder and louder. I realize some people like loud pubs. So make one of special restaurants that way. Q-sine? It is already a hip happening place and so it can be the place for hip happening music. But do we need that in all of the dining venues? I hope not. I have no issue with Martini. If that is what they want it to be I will go elsewhere on the ship. But if they continue this loud music in too many of the dining areas especially the main dining room I will have to cruise elsewhere. It also use to be so nice to go out to the Oceanview bar area and have a nice quiet breakfast or lunch and escape the noise and chaos inside but with the new loud music it is no longer a peaceful place to go. Maybe at least during meal times they could find a way to tone it down. I talked with several staff on board about this several times and the answer was always that it was be controlled by headquarters not onboard. They were told what to play and what level. No adjustments allowed. Please help us Celebrity. I have three more cruises booked for the next year and wish to stay on board.

Edited by bobnjeff

Let me guess you are now cruising with HAL because they are better. They also have a forum on this very site. Go tell them about it as it is becoming very boring and repetitive hearing it here.

The thread on the HAL forum is talking about the ships' band called the HAL Cats. That discussion is about bad, loud, live singing. A majority of the posters there (myself included) enjoy the musicians - just don't enjoy loud screechy, off key singing.

The dining areas. Especially the main dining room. I a large room with 1000+ people it is already going to be a very noisy space. Why add loud rock style music on top of that. People have to talk over it so it gets louder and louder. I realize some people like loud pubs. So make one of special restaurants that way. Q-sine? It is already a hip happening place and so it can be the place for hip happening music. But do we need that in all of the dining venues? I hope not. I have no issue with Martini. If that is what they want it to be I will go elsewhere on the ship. But if they continue this loud music in too many of the dining areas especially the main dining room I will have to cruise elsewhere. It also use to be so nice to go out to the Oceanview bar area and have a nice quiet breakfast or lunch and escape the noise and chaos inside but with the new loud music it is no longer a peaceful place to go. Maybe at least during meal times they could find a way to tone it down. I talked with several staff on board about this several times and the answer was always that it was be controlled by headquarters not onboard. They were told what to play and what level. No adjustments allowed. Please help us Celebrity. I have three more cruises booked for the next year and wish to stay on board.

I'll agree, I don't think breakast time is the right time for loud music - people are waking up, no need, but by lunch time, I think it is appropriate.

In the dining room on my last cruise, we were surprised one night when we actually heard music (pretty middle of the road music, not rock or techno), because we never heard it prior to that nor do I ever remember music in the MDR on any of my cruises. Possibly it is where the speakers are positioned and where you are sitting. Don't remember any music in Qsine and we were able to carry on a conversation.

I did not find annoying loud canned music all over the ship. But the poster who mentioned the open atrium is correct. The party band plays on the lower level and the sound travels up the ship. We were midships on deck 7 and could hear the band inside our cabin. Agree with the observation that there were a few dark, overly quiet, uninviting spaces-- Cellar Masters was deserted.

The MDR was very noisy-- not sure if it was because of the music or not. I could barely converse across the table for two with my husband.

So, I'm sitting out by the pool on the Equinox today with my GF ( she's 42 ). This is her first Celebrity cruise. I ask her, " what do you think about the music on the ship "?

She replies, " it's good, when I focus on it, it's in the background ".

I ask " is it loud ever? ".

Reply " not that I noticed, may loudest in the Martini lounge late...but not loud ".

Haha I reply..if you only knew about the people that it annoys on CC !

Her reply " they should just go to the quiet bars then, there are certainly enough of them "

Off Connie yesterday. Elite Hour was held in Michael's Club.One guest decided to entertain us by playing the piano. He played it as loud as humanly possible making conversation almost impossible. Many, including me complained. Finally, a Senior Officer hearing the concert, stopped it. There is a time and a place for everything,they just need to match.

Off Connie yesterday. Elite Hour was held in Michael's Club.One guest decided to entertain us by playing the piano. He played it as loud as humanly possible making conversation almost impossible. Many, including me complained. Finally, a Senior Officer hearing the concert, stopped it. There is a time and a place for everything,they just need to match.

We had a similar experience on the Silhouette December TA in the Ensemble Lounge with a guest practicing his piano playing one afternoon. After a while it drove us crazy. One of our group asked him very politely to stop playing as it was a "quiet" area in the afternoon and he was disturbing us. He continued until another in our group was more direct with his request and then it stopped. Clueless or just showing off I don't really know, but Ensemble was one of those quiet areas in the afternoon. Very precious!

Phil

We had a similar experience on the Silhouette December TA in the Ensemble Lounge with a guest practicing his piano playing one afternoon. After a while it drove us crazy. One of our group asked him very politely to stop playing as it was a "quiet" area in the afternoon and he was disturbing us. He continued until another in our group was more direct with his request and then it stopped. Clueless or just showing off I don't really know, but Ensemble was one of those quiet areas in the afternoon. Very precious!

Phil

I was also on that cruise and also had the same reaction as I passed through the Lounge. Now that I think about it, might be the same passenger. Look forward to seeing you soon.

I did not find annoying loud canned music all over the ship. But the poster who mentioned the open atrium is correct. The party band plays on the lower level and the sound travels up the ship. We were midships on deck 7 and could hear the band inside our cabin. Agree with the observation that there were a few dark, overly quiet, uninviting spaces-- Cellar Masters was deserted.

The MDR was very noisy-- not sure if it was because of the music or not. I could barely converse across the table for two with my husband.

Yes it was the music. When they set it at a level higher than necessary then as people enter the room they have to talk over it to be heard. And the people next to them have to talk louder and so on. Background music in a dining room is there to fill in the spaces of potential dead silence. I seriously doubt you could ever find a moment in a room with a 1000+ people where there is dead silence. Turn the music way down if not off and the whole level of noise will be much lower and more pleasant for everyone.

Laughing that someone actually thinks that the music on Celebrity could cause hearing damage. No way no how is any of the music played on the interior of the ship loud enough to cause hearing damage and if someone is stupid enough to sit in front of a loudspeaker pool side and not move, then they deserve what they get. Sorry but this is getting totally ridiculous. :rolleyes:

You, of course, can laugh at anything....but you might want to brush up on sound levels and YOUR hearing...in fact, you might want to get your own hearing checked, just out of curiosity to see if it's already been damaged....I'm in the field and I have some hearing loss due to loud music and live bands (try standing next to a rock drummer some time). I am curious how you know that the music played on the interior of the ship isn't loud enough to cause hearing damage....I do carry a sound level app on my phone....do you, or is this just your guess. I don't think I ever addressed inside or outside...loud on the pool deck is just as damaging as loud in the atrium....but I actually do agree that it's rare that the volumes are loud enough to do damage and if they are, it's accidental, not by design. The PA in question was measurably dangerously loud...I would think that was an accidental exception. I do think that in some areas, volumes are loud enough to render hearing aids (yes people of all ages use them, not just the old folks) unusable. The ship should provide space and environment for everyone.

In any case...whether you think it's ridiculous or not, I'm willing to buy in to having different levels of sound for different folks. Hopefully, you will agree with that....and leave the hearing loss discussion to those who care a little more about their hearing.

You, of course, can laugh at anything....but you might want to brush up on sound levels and YOUR hearing...in fact, you might want to get your own hearing checked, just out of curiosity to see if it's already been damaged....I'm in the field and I have some hearing loss due to loud music and live bands (try standing next to a rock drummer some time). I am curious how you know that the music played on the interior of the ship isn't loud enough to cause hearing damage....I do carry a sound level app on my phone....do you, or is this just your guess. I don't think I ever addressed inside or outside...loud on the pool deck is just as damaging as loud in the atrium....but I actually do agree that it's rare that the volumes are loud enough to do damage and if they are, it's accidental, not by design. The PA in question was measurably dangerously loud...I would think that was an accidental exception. I do think that in some areas, volumes are loud enough to render hearing aids (yes people of all ages use them, not just the old folks) unusable. The ship should provide space and environment for everyone.

In any case...whether you think it's ridiculous or not, I'm willing to buy in to having different levels of sound for different folks. Hopefully, you will agree with that....and leave the hearing loss discussion to those who care a little more about their hearing.

I agree with having music for everyone but it seems that most want it all their way. That I do not agree with. As I stated in an earlier post, I had no problems with the level of the music anywhere on the Reflection. Last, I don't need or want your approval as to what discussions that I decide to post in the forum.

I agree with having music for everyone but it seems that most want it all their way. That I do not agree with. As I stated in an earlier post, I had no problems with the level of the music anywhere on the Reflection. Last, I don't need or want your approval as to what discussions that I decide to post in the forum.

I don't think I suggested that I approved or didn't approve of what discussion you posted....I did comment on some things you said....the content. Anyone can post anything....including you and me....and once posted, then it's reasonable to assume that if someone disagrees with (or wants to clarify) your post, then that's what CC is all about.

In any case, we agree, so lets both focus on trying to convince celebrity to provide a quality cruise for everyone and provide some loud venues and some softer venues.

but it seems that most want it all their way. That I do not agree with. ....... Last, I don't need or want your approval as to what discussions that I decide to post in the forum.

It seems everyone wants what you want...:cool:

Fun police out in force at the elite hour it seems.

I have seldom experienced loud music in the lounge and I doubt that this is an elite problem. I also can't understand the suggestion that the area or the function is "policed" to clamp down on fun :confused:

I have seldom experienced loud music in the lounge and I doubt that this is an elite problem. I also can't understand the suggestion that the area or the function is "policed" to clamp down on fun :confused:

Read the thread.

Having recently cruised on the Constellation and Reflection we were also disappointed that there was a loud DJ constantly banging on the electronic drums by the Martini Bar. It was so loud that the BT couldn't hear what I wanted so I put to use the frosted bar top by writing it in the frost. ;)

We were on Silhouette the week of Michael Bayley's cruise and experienced the same thing in the Martini Bar. The DJ with percussionist was soooo loud you could not hear yourself think, much less order a drink, or talk with the person next to you. It was disturbing enough to make a group of us leave the venue.

Music should be loud enough to provide energy for a venue but not drown out or kill socialization...this effects sales and is something objectively dealt with from a business/hospitality perspective using a decibel meter to meet an optimum range or level.

Fwiw, DH and I like a huge variety of music and enjoyed the live music acts through out the ship, although we did miss the string trio. :)

Edited by still-learning

There obviously will never be a solution to this "problem". Would you stop cruising because of the loudness or lack of music? Not us!

No I wouldn't. I also wouldn't come on here and say that if Celebrity didn't turn up the music or turn it down, that I wouldn't cruise them again - if it were a big issue maybe, but the loudness of music come on.

Edited by NLH Arizona

We were on Silhouette the week of Michael Bayley's cruise and experienced the same thing in the Martini Bar. The DJ with percussionist was soooo loud you could not hear yourself think, much less order a drink, or talk with the person next to you. It was disturbing enough to make a group of us leave the venue.

Music should be loud enough to provide energy for a venue but not drown out or kill socialization...this effects sales and is something objectively dealt with from a business/hospitality perspective using a decibel meter to meet an optimum range or level.

I'm sure those that took your seats after you left were appreciative of it, since seats at the Martini Bar are always hard to get (all I ever hear is people complaining because they can't find a seat in that bar). Not everyone thinks it is too loud.

Edited by NLH Arizona

What - they got rid of the string quartet- the ( almost ) only bearable music on board. What a shame! Cost cutting I suppose- well one of these days we have to bring our on mattress when we board! LOL! That does not seem to bother anyone- as long as cruise costs drop and drop and drop- oh well one can not expect that they keep everything as we are used to and lower the cruise fare´s .

The bickering on this subject is unbelievable. The truth is sometimes the music is unbelievably loud and sometimes it's not. Most people who complain about it are not really complaining about the style of music, just the level at which it's played.

Most of the time the levels are reasonable, but there have been some cruises fairly recently where the volumes were really obnoxious. Most reasonable people don't mind if the music is a bit loud, but when it gets to where you can't hear the person right next to you without shouting....it's just too loud.

My suggestion is if it's one of those times, request that they turn it down. That usually works.:eek:

I guess people will have to agree to disagree. Some feel the music is too loud, while others feel it is just right. I guess it all depends on what you consider loud! If you feel it is too loud, ask that they turn it down. If you feel it is not loud enough, ask them to turn it up.