Modern Luxury = Loud Music???

bobnjeff

We were on the March 10th sailing on the Silhouette. We found the canned music very loud only on embarkation day. We enjoyed the party band in the atrium before dinner. What we did not enjoy, was the DJ and the extremely loud techno music in the atrium. Drove many of us out of the Martini Bar. We felt that there are more appropriate venues for that style of music for those who enjoy it (Quasar, etc.).

I don't see the martini bar as the "hang out here all night place". I mean, its built in a hallway. SO make it loud to keep people moving towards more intimate venues as designed. I hate trying to go there and its all jammed up, i just want a grab n go most times.

I liked the percussionist with the DJ on the last cruise, it was a nice add-on to a normal just play tunes DJ. Lots of the guests even got in helping the percussionist making it even more exciting.

I don't remember any controversy over music loudness levels until the S class ships came along-particularly the Eclipse.

Since, there have been many many threads and commments about the music being extremely loud-much more so than on other ships-and to the extent that it prevents normal conversation and cruise enjoyment.

The original issue wasn't about how loud music should be-that is a subjective judgement that has always been around. The issue is if the music levels on those particular ships exceed a reasonable range.

Anyway, we were on the Eclipse last December. The Martini Bar area is the venue with the most complaints-and it was very very loud. I talked with the CD and he explained that as that bar is the biggest revenue generator the powers that be concluded that the louder the music, the more money they make. Apparently they never thought that its popularity might be due to other factors :rolleyes: and that people go there despite-not because-of the horrific volume.

We ate at the QSine one night. It was so loud that you literally could not talk to each other or communicate with the staff. I told our waiter that if they didn't turn it down some, that our table of 10 was leaving and not paying. He seemed relieved that I did that, as communicatikon was presumably as difficult for him too, and it was turned down.

Recent reports suggest that the problem is not as severe now on the Eclipse. That is likely attributable to the wonderful Sue Denning being the CD now.

My point is that we are not objecting to reasonably loud music in some venues-we are objecting to being assaulted. And yes, the volumes I heard on the Eclipse can damage hearing. I am a retired vocational rehabilitation counselor who specialized in hearing loss.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

We cruised on Eclipse in August 2011 and loved it. Music was played at the Martini Bar but at a volume that allowed conversation. I read numerous comments about loud music on this forum and found myself :confused: at what people were talking about.

In May 2012 we cruised on Silhouette and found out with a vengeance. The music was now at a volume which required you to put your mouth directly to someone's ear to enable them to hear you. This is an action I am only prepared to take with my OH so we just talked to each other. Not very sociable and rather a disappointment.

We will give Eclipse another go this year but that will be it.

The bickering on this subject is unbelievable. The truth is sometimes the music is unbelievably loud and sometimes it's not. Most people who complain about it are not really complaining about the style of music, just the level at which it's played.

Most of the time the levels are reasonable, but there have been some cruises fairly recently where the volumes were really obnoxious. Most reasonable people don't mind if the music is a bit loud, but when it gets to where you can't hear the person right next to you without shouting....it's just too loud.

My suggestion is if it's one of those times, request that they turn it down. That usually works.:eek:

'

So well put!!! LuAnn

I'm sure those that took your seats after you left were appreciative of it, since seats at the Martini Bar are always hard to get (all I ever hear is people complaining because they can't find a seat in that bar). Not everyone thinks it is too loud.

You would've had plenty to choose from that night! :) The Martini Bar became shockingly empty during "Prime Time" evening hours on this occasion. I have never seen so many available seats at that bar.

We are frequent visitors enjoying this venue and you are 100% correct about it's popularity. This was not an every night problem; but it was our experience one night last month and apparently others have had similar experiences. :cool:

• 1 year later...

I went on Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam thinking it would be less auditorialy invasive than lines geared to younger crowds. It was like musical chairs. Loud piped music appeared at both pools sporadically, in the library / crows nest and the dining rooms. The music was always good but the volume was too much for conversation and always required me to leave. Live bands don't need amplification. But every time there is one I have to leave the entire floor because volume is truely painful to my eardrums and brain. The promenade thankfully was always quiet and I wish there was one pool area and library type and dining area that was noise free. I don't understand the arguments of those who want entire ships pounding with loud music. Why can't there be a reliable quiet water / pool venue, dinning venue, reading venue and outdoor ocean watching venue available all the time. Music lovers can bang their eardrums with earphones in these quiet venues but we can not enjoy peace in their loud venues. My theory is its all about selling booze. Make the environment stressful and more booze will be bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is a about 18months old. Not sure why it was resurrected in reference to a HAL cruise:confused:

Who knows?...maybe the person who posted it at 4:36pm

this afternoon did not look at the date.......

Edited by Lois R

Had to scream at the supervisor in the Ocean Café to turn the music volume down as he could not hear me for the volume being too high.

Next day, volume back up.

This is a basic in relations, just like line management in sorting out the

needs. Its training in how to balance response time that apparently they

do not understand how to do it.

The elevators know, they skip extra stops speeding the overall delivery time when another is expected to stop given its passenger requests.

Why should one person with a 30 second request stand in line behind a 10 minute issue without interruption? Its up to the staff to have the training to handle this, which I do not think they have any guidance.

Its a good one, breeds respect.

This thread is a about 18months old. Not sure why it was resurrected in reference to a HAL cruise:confused:

I searched loud music in cruise critic and this title drew my attention more than others. I was in heaven reading that there are others with same issue so I posted my experience. Now I see the dates and the celebrity theme. Still learning this blogging interface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The old music problem on celebrity!

If there was an area I wish was better in my last cruise (just got back) was the music!

It was so sedated in the pool area that it was hard not to fall asleep (in my opinion it was similar to elevator music). The only time the music was vibrant and provided a lively atmosphere was during events held at the pool.

Even at the Martini bar the music was low key, except 1 night that Miami DJ was playing. He got everyone dancing and having a good time.

I asked the bartender about the music on board and he said that anything different or even a bit louder would send most people in the cruise to guess relations to complain. So I fixed the issue by using my headphones to listen to my playlist.

Even my husband, who is not a fan of today's music, thought that Celebrity could do better there and keep things more lively.

Edited by Sandy1975

Because someone used the 'search' instead of getting flamed for starting a new thread about an old subject.

That said, we are just off the Equinox 11 day, and things on our sailing too were way to quiet. By the pool you would have thought we were in the Persian Garden trying to take a nap. So noted on our survey.

Because someone used the 'search' instead of getting flamed for starting a new thread about an old subject.

That said, we are just off the Equinox 11 day, and things on our sailing too were way to quiet. By the pool you would have thought we were in the Persian Garden trying to take a nap. So noted on our survey.

OMG, that is exactly how it was on my 10 day sailing! I felt like you had to whisper so that you won't wake up others! That is how quiet it was. I still had a great time and music will never really interfere with the overall success of my vacation.

Edited by Sandy1975

I just spent 16 days on the Constellation for a westbound transatlantic and thought the music volume/level was fine in all venues I visited. However, my partner and I commented on the type of music playing in different venues as a bit peculiar at times. We dined in Ocean Liners 3 or 4 times and my partner thought the music was to modern/contemporary. I'd also agree that the pool area was too quiet on our cruise.

OMG, that is exactly how it was on my 10 day sailing! I felt like you had to whisper so that you won't wake up others! That is how quiet it was. I still had a great time and music will never really interfere with the overall success of my vacation.

Sandy we were on the cruise before yours. So for 21 days the Equinox, over 2 sailings was enjoyable. Nice!:D

Oh poor X- can´t satisfy everyone- glad to hear the blaring music issue is taken care of - so it seem- can´t wait to cruise on board Millie again in three month. I very much enjoyed a very relaxing quite Holland Amerika cuise in October. Well for those who like a real lively atmosphere- there options out there- Royal- Costa- Carnival- all nice and loud- äh pardon livley!

Oh poor X- can´t satisfy everyone- glad to hear the blaring music issue is taken care of - so it seem- to cruise on board Millie again in three month. I very much enjoyed a very relaxing quite Holland Amerika cuise in October. Well for those who like a real lively atmosphere- there options out there- Royal- Costa- Carnival- all nice and loud- äh pardon livley!

Lively doesn't necessarily mean loud. Besides for some people music is not the deciding factor on what line to take (probably the less relevant for me since I can easily fix it. Just commenting for those that want ambiance music everywhere).