First river cruise - advice needed please...

corpkid

(I had accidentally posted this under the ports sub-forum... Sorry about the duplicate post.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

DH and I have been on several ocean cruises and have enjoyed them for the most part (we certainly enjoy the smaller, upscale R class ships like Azamara and Oceania sail). That said, we have been seriously entertaining the idea of a European river cruise...

I think we have decided that AMA is the line we want to sail with. Looks very nice. Here's where I need some advice....

1) what are your opinions on AMA vs. the other players? I've read a bunch of posts and it seems that most are pleased with AMA. I've seen some negative stuff on Viking, but not sure if that is just a function of volume (AMA appears to be smaller than Viking). We are quite familiar with the various ocean lines, but completely new to the river cruise scene and kind of going on blind faith here...

2) I want to do a Christmas Market cruise in '14.... DH is worried it will be dreary and cold (we are Floridians, so unless we have skis on, we don't appreciate cold very much). His suggestion is a summertime sailing in '14. Is it very cold during December in this region? I think it would be be beautiful and need some help convincing him.

3) If we did want to do a summertime sailing, around 12 days (Danube most likely), what is the best time to do it? I would think late spring or early fall to avoid peak crowds and high temps - 60-70 degrees is perfect but I'm nitpicking. Is there pretty foliage colors in the fall out there? We love that since living in Florida it's pretty non-existent?

Thanks for any advice you can give! Looking forward to this trip very much.

AMA is a wonderful cruiseline. We did Prague to Paris with them in 2011 and had no complaints at all. It was our first river cruise and I would have no hesitation recommending them. I live in the great white north near Toronto Canada so our winters are cold, cold, cold and our summers hot. I generally travel during September for the cooler temps (too hot for me in mid summer) and less likelyhood of rain. In 2011 the weather was perfect for me, lovely warm days and a bit cooler at night. There was no bright foliage mid to late September along the European rivers, that would come mid to late October same as up here. (that's my opinion only). There appeared to be fewer tourists in September than in mid summer.

We have also taken a cruise, Amsterdam to Budapest with Scenic Tours, fairly new to the US market but expanding, and they offer a totally all inclusive package. They as well are excellent and their tours were wonderful including a wonderful night of music in Vienna. I too prefer the smaller ocean cruise ships like Oceania offers. I would put both AMA and Scenic in a class at least equal to Oceania (I have no experience with Azamara or Regent). Very friendly, accomodating staff on both lines.

I am sure you will love river cruising. I'm with your husband, I have no desire to travel the rivers in winter. That's when I head to Florida!

Thank you Judy! The more I think about it, I think the more we'd love an Octoberfest type cruise with colors and beer. We do like our beer. :)

I'm looking into Scenic now.... I know we will love this no matter what, but when you are spending this much to do a 2 week tour it's nice to make sure you are doing the "best of breed".

PS - I love Toronto and spent a good deal of time up there last summer. Great city!

Thanks again!

Dominic

I posted this in response on your ports forum:

Welcome to river cruising! It is far different from ocean cruising. To respond to your questions:

1. From what I have read, AMA is a nice line. I am partial to Vantage because I have done a number of cruises with them, and they rebate 5%.

2. Christmas Markets are really nice, but it will be cold. When we did ours in 2007, it was down to 17 F, plus, since you are so far North, it gets dark very early.

3, Early fall is nice, and I do not think you would run into the high water problems on the Danube.

We did a Xmas cruse from Budapest to Passau, and a summer cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam. We loved both cruises for the different experiences.

Both trip stories and photos are on our website.

We are always happy to answer any questions.

Hi Dominic -

I have sailed with AMA - and the experience was enjoyable. It wasn't our "best" river cruise experience, but certainly would have no concerns about travelling with them again in the future. The lines have subtle difference, so my opinion is my opinion.... there are many here who feel that AMA offers the "best" package for them.

We have also travelled with Uniworld and Scenic. We leave for our 1st cruise with Viking in 2 weeks - and have booked Avalon for June 2014. We look at itinerary, then dates - then prices.

We did a Christmas market cruise on the Rhine with Uniworld in 2010. The day after we arrived in Cologne was the coldest December 1st on record in over 100 years. I lost my hat on the train (took the train from Frankfurt) so was out buying a hat the next morning... I REALLY needed it. We travel lowest category cabin (aka Aquarium class) and it really was an ideal choice for a Christmas market cruise. The days are short, so not a lot to see out of your French balcony unless you sail during the day.

We enjoyed the Christmas markets, but we do want to go back to see that area when it is warmer, and the days are longer. We have no urge to repeat a Christmas market cruise - although there are many who go regularly.

I love the fall, so have enjoyed our cruises in late September/early October. The weather can be unpredictable in October - so you would need take layers. (Shorts and t-shirts when we were in Budapest on October 2nd.... went out a bought a warmer coat in Prague --> it was snowing as we left for the airport....)

If you enjoy beer, then going around Oktoberfest sounds like a great trip. I seem to remember seeing someone has a "beer cruise" option - but didn't really look closely as my DH does not drink beer.

If you are doing the Danube, and have the opportunity to go to Prague - I would suggest you go. Lots of good Czech beer!!!

Fran

We love AMA and also Vantage. Both are better than Viking.

I live in South Georgia and once lived in Southern Germany. I would never spend good money going on a Christmas river cruise in central Europe.

Reason, I don't like cold weather. I don't like cold weather. It is cold in Germany, Austria, etc. at Christmas. It gets dark about 4:30 in the afternoon.

Yes, the Christmas markets are fun for an hour or two, and you drink the gluwein and feel Christmassy, but other than that it is COLD. COLD

Hi Fran and "papa"!

Thanks so much for your candid advice- this is the exact feedback I'm looking for as we plan our "quite pricey" adventure. We do love beer (though only on vacation as we need to keep the bathing suits fitting!). :)

Sounds like an October adventure is in the works. We can deal with cool/wet weather. I grew up in W. Mass and him in W. Tenn - no strangers to unfavorable weather and in some respects we love the break from constant sunshine and 80F temps. haha

Thanks again!

Dom & Don

Hi Fran and "papa"!

Thanks so much for your candid advice- this is the exact feedback I'm looking for as we plan our "quite pricey" adventure. We do love beer (though only on vacation as we need to keep the bathing suits fitting!). :)

Sounds like an October adventure is in the works. We can deal with cool/wet weather. I grew up in W. Mass and him in W. Tenn - no strangers to unfavorable weather and in some respects we love the break from constant sunshine and 80F temps. haha

Thanks again!

Dom & Don

Like Papa and Talisker we always go with Vantage-no hidden extras for the shore excursions, the tour managers, guides, food and accommodations are top drawer and there's the 5% rebate. If you both really like beer may I suggest a springtime river cruise that would include a stop or two in Belgium the home of fabulous Kriek (sp?) beer. We had it in Brussels, Brugges and Antwerp when we did the tulips cruise and it is to die for: beer mixed with fresh cherries or strawberries or blueberries and served in a large tulip glass. It's only available in the Spring when the fruit is blooming (or did I totally buy into a "tourist story") but whatever, it is the most delicious beer I have ever had! I agree with pp's, Winter is that part of Europe comes early and it's very cold, snowy and Christmassy for about an hour and then it gets really old shopping in the dark!

I live in South Georgia and once lived in Southern Germany. I would never spend good money going on a Christmas river cruise in central Europe.

Reason, I don't like cold weather. I don't like cold weather. It is cold in Germany, Austria, etc. at Christmas. It gets dark about 4:30 in the afternoon.

Yes, the Christmas markets are fun for an hour or two, and you drink the gluwein and feel Christmassy, but other than that it is COLD. COLD

Love both of your honest evaluations of the Christmas cruises. They sound "magical" in the brochures, for sure!

I am a southern California girl and I don't like the cold, either.

We will be on our first river cruise in August. Will there be much Christmas stuff at the gift shops? I like to collect ornaments from our travels.

Thanks!

There may be some local specialities in shops. Someone once told me that one way to get an ornament as a souvenir was to but keychains. I have a travel tree and many of my ornament are really keychains. Enjoy! Pat

There may be some local specialities in shops. Someone once told me that one way to get an ornament as a souvenir was to but keychains. I have a travel tree and many of my ornament are really keychains. Enjoy! Pat

Thanks for the key chain idea. I have actually purchased some cute souvenir magnets and turned them into ornaments, too.

If you are going to Rothenburg there is a 3 story Xmas shop just off the main square

Thanks, Talisker92! We won't be going to Rothenburg, but hopefully I will find ornaments along the Danube.

If you are going to Rothenburg there is a 3 story Xmas shop just off the main square

Talisker92,

I have been looking at your travel website. Wow! You have really done a nice job on your website. Beautiful photos and nice stories.

I am going to look at your London and Paris travels and email you with questions for our next cruise - British Isles.

Thanks for sharing!

My wife and I have done two european cruises; and both were in May. All I can say is the weather is about perfect; mid to high 70's everyday, no rain, and waters were calm for the ships. Whatever time you choose; have fun. We are planning a river cruise for May 14.

Such a wonderful amount of feedback... Xmas "Treasures" sounds like a no go - though in the books and online it looks magical. Living in Orlando, we can find a bunch of "magic" that time of year right off Lake Buena Vista Blvd... Disney and the surrounding resorts do a fantastic job with Christmas. (may I suggest the JW/Ritz Grande Lakes around this time?). One night for an Xmas party of 15, we were there, by a fire pit, sipping post-dinner cocktails, (and it was cold - 45F) and a local high school choir came out (all 40 of them) and sang to us for 30 minutes.... Was a pretty magical moment.

This said, we're considering Oktoberfest... Clearly on the other end of the spectrum. LOL I'm watching video reviews and tips and thinking "so you mix insane spinning carnival rides with too many liters of beer" I predict this will "be interesting". :)

Like Papa and Talisker we always go with Vantage-no hidden extras for the shore excursions, the tour managers, guides, food and accommodations are top drawer and there's the 5% rebate. If you both really like beer may I suggest a springtime river cruise that would include a stop or two in Belgium the home of fabulous Kriek (sp?) beer. We had it in Brussels, Brugges and Antwerp when we did the tulips cruise and it is to die for: beer mixed with fresh cherries or strawberries or blueberries and served in a large tulip glass. It's only available in the Spring when the fruit is blooming (or did I totally buy into a "tourist story") but whatever, it is the most delicious beer I have ever had! I agree with pp's, Winter is that part of Europe comes early and it's very cold, snowy and Christmassy for about an hour and then it gets really old shopping in the dark!

You deflated my argument and at the same time made me want to travel during spring (plus it is much sooner since we only do a cruise once a year (I'm still working) and I CAN NOT WAIT to try River Cruising!) I'm trying to balance the the pros/cons of an Oktoberfest experience vs. a spring-like experience now. Exploring AMA vs. Vantage as contenders for sure... We are lucky in that we can use timeshare points for cruise payment, so the cost differential isn't very high, but that is an entirely different story...

THANK YOU ALL so much - this is by far the friendliest forum on this site and I can't tell you enough how much we appreciate the thoughtful responses as we "embark" on a brand new adventure!

Talisker92,

I have been looking at your travel website. Wow! You have really done a nice job on your website. Beautiful photos and nice stories.

I am going to look at your London and Paris travels and email you with questions for our next cruise - British Isles.

Thanks for sharing!

Dear Bobalink,

My late wife and I traveled extensively in England and Scotland, so I am sure I can help you with any questions

Hydrokitty, you may or may not have been told a tourist story w/ regard to when the Kriek beer is made, but it's still delicious (I think you were, b/c you'd need fresh mature cherries to make it, and they would not be ripe in early spring). FYI it's traditionally made by fermenting a lambic-style beer w/ native sour cherries, including the pits. Here's a Wiki page describing the process and history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriek_lambic

Since you are in the New York area you might be able to find Lindeman's Kriek and other lambics through an importer in that area: http://www.merchantduvin.com/find-our-beer.php They're delicious. Lindeman's makes many fruit lambics; I first had the Framboise one in Brugges and fell in love. A little sweet to accompany a meal, but sitting canal-side in Brugges on a warm spring day sipping a lambic - there are few better things!

Re weather timing for river cruises, we've found a big difference between early April and early May in northern Europe. We had somewhat cool to warm days w/ about 40% rain or fog in late April/early May. In early April we had snow twice and very cold weather pretty often; also a lot more rain & clouds (like 80%+). I think early to mid May (getting back before schools let out and Memorial Day in the US) would be just about perfect, as would the fall (late Sept to late Oct - the only risk then is possible low water levels). Whatever you choose, enjoy the trip!

Archived