Disembarkation.

ruby1966

How long does it take to get off the ship in the ports. Is there a long line to get off and on.:)

there can be, yes.

if you need to be off the ship sooner rather than later, you can either self disembark( hand carry all your luggage off with no assistance) or make the request to be in the first group called after self disembark.

alos some cabin categories have priority built in, like Higher end suites.

I've only been on 7 cruises but my experience has been that the earlier you try to get off the longer the lines are. We generally hang out and have breakfast and wait until the last zones are called before we leave. We pretty much sail through at that time.

A lot if people try to rush off the ship (either for early flights or just generally to get home) and that causes quite a bottleneck.

I recommend setting your back out at night and relaxing in the morning. Not many lines and you don't have to wheel your luggage around with you.

Edit: just realized I never actually answered your question. I'd say on average it's taken us about 25 minutes to get from ship and through customs. The longest we've waiting was over an hour in Miami when were debarked on Sept 11, 2012. I guess extra security that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long does it take to get off the ship in the ports. Is there a long line to get off and on.:)

I interpret this question as referring to you 'transit' ports i.e. the destinations you are visiting along the way, not the port where you finally disembark

If the ship is docked then there is unlikely to be much of a queue - unless you happen to try to get off at the same time as a big tour (can be several coach loads at once).

If the ship is tendered there may be more of a line, once again especially if you are getting off at the same time as the big tours.

So, my advice is to try to scope out when the tours are leaving and try to head off before them - or stay on board, have a leisurely breakfast, and then stroll off at your pleasure.

Disembark generally means at the end of your cruise when it's time to go home - that can take a while!

In ports (which is what I think you'd like to know about) it's completely different. Organised tours will be called off at the right time, mostly as soon as the steps/plank is ready and announcement is made and people generally just walk off - not exactly a long wait.

If it's a tender there will be a queue/tickets depends on how your ship decide to organise it. Coming back to ship on the tender there might be a long/very long queue especially if you leave it until the last hour - well that's my experience anyway.

If we have not booked a ship's excursion, I check the bshore excursion booklet in the cabin to see what times the majority of the tours are. That way we can get an idea of when the majority of the people will be leaving the ship.

Same thing for tendering -- check the times and que up when most tours are gone.

If you are on a ship's excursion, your ticket will tell you where and what time to meet. This goes for tendering tours as well.

If it is a port where the ship docks at shore it is generally really quick; as soon as the ship is cleared by local authorities it only takes a few minutes to debark. If it is a tender port it can take 30-60 minutes as generally people who have booked excursions through the cruise line have first dibs and then often people in suites and/or high up in the loyalty program.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you HAVE to be 1st off the ship, give it about 20-30 mins....you can walk right off at ports where you are docked. With tendered ports, again, the 1st tender boat will be the most crowded....just wait a bit and then leave!

Archived