Question about cruise documents

LONES

Long story short...

I noticed on our flight info that the TA has my daughter's middle name wrong (off by one letter, but that letter creates a different name).

I called the airlines directly and had that fixed. I then called the TA to let her know. She thanked me for taking care of it. I then explained that I wanted to make sure she was aware, because unless it was just a typo with the plane tickets, it maybe needed to get fixed with the cruise booking. She never did tell me if it was or not, but proceeded to say that wouldn't be a big deal anyway... as long as it got fixed with the airline, that was the important thing.

Well, I realize I'm crazy type A.... but it seems to me that it would be a bigger deal with the cruise line. I'm assuming that when we are reboarding the ship, our documents will be checked against the passport, and if the TA has her name wrong, they aren't going to match.

Am I correct about that? I've never been on a cruise before, so I don't know for sure what they are looking at.

Long story short...

I noticed on our flight info that the TA has my daughter's middle name wrong (off by one letter, but that letter creates a different name).

I called the airlines directly and had that fixed. I then called the TA to let her know. She thanked me for taking care of it. I then explained that I wanted to make sure she was aware, because unless it was just a typo with the plane tickets, it maybe needed to get fixed with the cruise booking. She never did tell me if it was or not, but proceeded to say that wouldn't be a big deal anyway... as long as it got fixed with the airline, that was the important thing.

Well, I realize I'm crazy type A.... but it seems to me that it would be a bigger deal with the cruise line. I'm assuming that when we are reboarding the ship, our documents will be checked against the passport, and if the TA has her name wrong, they aren't going to match.

Am I correct about that? I've never been on a cruise before, so I don't know for sure what they are looking at.

Get it corrected with the cruise line, too

I'm in a bit of a weird situation, as my MIL is the one that planned and is paying for the cruise, so it's her TA. I never even told her that I contacted the TA. I originally told her about the error, and she said, "Oh, I'm sure it's no big deal", so I knew she probably wasn't going to contact the TA.

I got the confirmation numbers for the flights from my MIL so I could go in and add our FF numbers to our Itinerary. That's when I corrected the name with the airline, and when I pulled up the itinerary it gave the TA's name and phone number, so I called her.

Seriously... I had the same thoughts about the TA. She was very nice, but nice really won't cut it if I'm standing in Canada and can't reboard the ship with my daughter because her documents don't match her passport.

I see people talk about a "cruise personalizer". My MIL said at some point we will need to go on line and fill out some info, such as what credit card we want to load. At that point, would it tell me if her name is incorrect? If so, could I just call Princess direct and fix it?

I agree with those that say you need to get your name corrected. It probably won't matter for reboarding during the cruise, but it may matter for embarkation. If the cruise leaves from a US port, Princess provides the list of passengers (with name, date of birth, and passport number) electronically to the Department of Homeland Security, and they check the list.

I highly recommend you get your booking number and go to the Cruise Personalizer to check all of your information. You will need to do that anyway to provide passport numbers, to prebook shore excursions, to provide an onboard credit card, and for several other reasons.

The following information is on the Cruise Personalizer under Passport Requirements: "If the spelling of your name is different than the name on your passport or other travel documents, immediately contact your travel agent or 1-800-PRINCESS." You cannot change your name online on the Cruise Personalizer.

I also suspect you may have a problem changing your name by telephone with Princess. They may refer you to your travel agent. After all, Princess is paying your travel agent a commission for your cruise, and they shouldn't have to spend time taking care of things the travel agent is paid to do.

But you can check the Cruise Personalizer every day until it is corrected and keep bugging the travel agent until the job is done.

Can you get onto the Princess cruise personalizer? If so, you can see if your daughters name is spelled correctly. I agree with others that it should be corrected if it is in error. Better to correct it now than to run into problems on cruise day.

I'm in a bit of a weird situation, as my MIL is the one that planned and is paying for the cruise, so it's her TA. I never even told her that I contacted the TA. I originally told her about the error, and she said, "Oh, I'm sure it's no big deal", so I knew she probably wasn't going to contact the TA. I got the confirmation numbers for the flights from my MIL so I could go in and add our FF numbers to our Itinerary. That's when I corrected the name with the airline, and when I pulled up the itinerary it gave the TA's name and phone number, so I called her. Seriously... I had the same thoughts about the TA. She was very nice, but nice really won't cut it if I'm standing in Canada and can't reboard the ship with my daughter because her documents don't match her passport. I see people talk about a "cruise personalizer". My MIL said at some point we will need to go on line and fill out some info, such as what credit card we want to load. At that point, would it tell me if her name is incorrect? If so, could I just call Princess direct and fix it?

You should call Princess and the Agent will be happy to add all of your information to your Cruise Personalizer. Just have your Passport handy for the Number and Expiry date. If you look on the last page, that number is printed in much larger type.

There are things that the Princess Agent is not allowed to talk about with you; however, completing your Cruise Personalizer is part of their job and they are happy to do it.

When reboarding the ship you will present a government issued ID (usually a driver's license or passport) which will be compared to the name on the cruise card.

The name on the cruise card will be her first and last name and will not include a middle name or initial.

So there is nothing to worry about when reboarding the ship in a port.

There are a few things in this world that have to be exactly right. When booking flights and cruises, your identification and method of payment are among those things.

The cruise lines ask you to check in on line well in advance of the cruise. There is a reason for that. That information is included in something called the ship's manifest. It is a data base that gets screened for any number of different reasons including the customs offices of the various countries of ports of call. (Some countries won't admit a person with a "criminal record".)

I don't think the TA is an idiot, but there sure is reason to question his / her level of competence. It is simply good housekeeping to correct errors as soon as they are noticed. Maybe it is no big deal now, but sooner or later it needs to get straightened out. I personally don't want to delay the correction until I have a couple of thousand people standing behind me in line waiting to board a ship.

When we booked our first cruise with our online TA, the representative was smart enough to know that she wasn't simply booking a single cruise. There was the obvious potential, if the booking was done well, to book any number of future cruises. That same rep in the same agency has just booked our 31st cruise. Customer service is the reason we keep using the same agency.

It is important that all your documents are correct, since 911 , it is a big deal and your TA should know that , if not, then you need a new TA. Make sure the corrections are made sooner that later. I AM NOT A TA but I think that you can switch your booking to another TA prior to the cruise , I am sure others on these boards would know more about that than I do , but it is something to consider. I hope you and your family have a great cruise.

Cori

I believe you can change your middle name (if it is listed as a middle name in the booking) in Cruiser Personalizer.

If that doesn't work, you can ask the TA/Princess to fix. It's not a big deal to change middle name...:)

I believe you can change your middle name (if it is listed as a middle name in the booking) in Cruiser Personalizer.

If that doesn't work, you can ask the TA/Princess to fix. It's not a big deal to change middle name...:)

You can't. I had to call princess twice to get my husbands name fixed. First I had a lapse in reality and when I booked said my husbands middle name was James instead of Jay. So when I called back to change it they put just "J" instead of "Jay" so I had to call again.. now it's fixed.

Archived