Quantum of the Seas - Where have all the Junior Suites gone???

You tell me. Tell me these deck plans are right. Better yet, tell me they are wrong.

I see 16 JS and they are in a not great place for views.

There is a "spa" JS category, whatever that means, on the hump. But not very many in comparison to other ships.

http://quantumoftheseas.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/meet-the-ship/deck-plans/

I prefer a good old fashioned JS and plenty to choose from.

Gina

You tell me. Tell me these deck plans are right. Better yet, tell me they are wrong.

There is a "spa" JS category, whatever that means, on the hump. But not very many in comparison to other ships.

http://quantumoftheseas.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/meet-the-ship/deck-plans/

Gina

Maybe they will offer a "virtual" hump JS :D:rolleyes:;)!

Maybe they will offer a "virtual" hump JS :D:rolleyes:;)!

Virtually anything is possible. :)

The ship may WOW people over all, but I'm still not wowed by the lack of JS in comparison to standard balcony rooms. I guess that's why they are saying the rooms are 9% larger - to make up for the stripping away of the standard JS that will force some people to downgrade. I never found a D balcony room to be quite large enough for my liking.

Of course it shouldn't bother me. I'm not likely to be flying to the NE to go on a Caribbean cruise, living in FL.

I finally see the 3rd category of JS - Family JS - which is likely going to require more than 2 people in them and may not even be comparable to the standard JS.

The 15 “family-connected junior suites” connect a junior suite, balcony room and interior studio through a shared vestibule, creating a 575-square-foot living space with three bedrooms, three bathrooms and a 216-square-foot balcony.

The ship may WOW people over all, but I'm still not wowed by the lack of JS in comparison to standard balcony rooms. I guess that's why they are saying the rooms are 9% larger - to make up for the stripping away of the standard JS that will force some people to downgrade. I never found a D balcony room to be quite large enough for my liking.

Of course it shouldn't bother me. I'm not likely to be flying to the NE to go on a Caribbean cruise, living in FL.

I finally see the 3rd category of JS - Family JS - which is likely going to require more than 2 people in them and may not even be comparable to the standard JS.

If I understood one piece that I caught, the Family JS is comprised of the cabins that are configuarable. It was a single/studio inside cabin, a single balcony cabin, and the normal balcony cabin. I could totally be mistaken but that is what I sort of remember.

I'm the same way. I dont think sailing from the NY/NJ area is worth the ship for me and I can't see flying north to sail south. Hopefully Anthem will have a more desireable homeport for those of us not in the Northeast.

I wonder if the standard rooms and JS are really much larger, or if the full suites and lofts are skewing the "average 9% larger."

Time will tell!

The 15 “family-connected junior suites” connect a junior suite, balcony room and interior studio through a shared vestibule, creating a 575-square-foot living space with three bedrooms, three bathrooms and a 216-square-foot balcony.

Right....so that doesn't work for those who want to book a JS as they usually do. So I rule those out as junior suites.

The spa junior suites might work. Might. I just depends on what they really are. Are they something that just include upgraded features that no one really wants but they'll charge a lot more for? Like they do on Celebrity?

Gina

It seems like beyond them saying the new staterooms will wow you (as referenced on the stateroom section of the website) there is no other information on the staterooms. I would stick to a "wait and see" pattern since I'm pretty positive that in the future there will be more information released.

Perhaps the thinking is to force people to "UPGRADE"

M

My initial thought, too. But not at those prices. Not for most JS bookers. Even Oasis class JS's have been a stretch for those who normally book that category. I can't imagine Quantum won't start out at higher prices than Oasis did.

Gina

I have always wondered what JS are all about :confused:

They don't seem to be much bigger than some of the other Cabins and when you look under benefits, lurks and perks for the other Suites , JS seem to be excluded from most of the benefits of suites

Allowing that cruise liners seem to be full of people who are "Would be if they Could be" they are probably for people to say "and we stayed in a Junior Suite" to friends and family .

Cynical old me :cool:

Gina

I counted 38 Spa JS cabins and they are all mid-ship. Guess RCI got smart and renamed their "ordinary" JS cabins to justify a higher price.........but with no additional benefits.:( Or maybe they feel that if you want those double points for a JS, you're now going to pay more for them.:D

I'm like you, give me the JS I'm used to.

Gina,

I'm with you. I always book JS because they were about the same size as a hotel room with the walk-in closet and tub w/shower combo. Just the right amount of space for my DD and I. Plus I used to book the "hump" JS and now that isn't available either. I have no idea what category I'd be comfortable booking now??? But I guess we have to wait and see when further information comes out. I really don't want to upgrade to GS' or something compariable. I loved having the JS on the hump with all the great views. :cool:

That's really interesting they are connecting a studio. That means fewer studios for solo cruisers (assuming RCI is using studio in the same way NCL is).

They don't seem to be much bigger than some of the other Cabins and when you look under benefits, lurks and perks for the other Suites , JS seem to be excluded from most of the benefits of suites

Allowing that cruise liners seem to be full of people who are "Would be if they Could be" they are probably for people to say "and we stayed in a Junior Suite" to friends and family .

It's all about having plenty of room to move around. A fantastic closet, larger bathroom with a [small] tub/shower combo that's larger than the tube style & comfortable seating. No suite perks but, they don't cost what suites do. Double points are a nice bonus but it's the space that lures most of us in.

For the record, they are significantly larger than a regular balcony cabin &, IMHO, your last comment is rude & uncalled for.

Gina,

I'm with you. I always book JS because they were about the same size as a hotel room with the walk-in closet and tub w/shower combo. Just the right amount of space for my DD and I. Plus I used to book the "hump" JS and now that isn't available either. I have no idea what category I'd be comfortable booking now??? But I guess we have to wait and see when further information comes out. I really don't want to upgrade to GS' or something compariable. I loved having the JS on the hump with all the great views. :cool:

I know what catagory I'll book..my favorite JS's on the Freedom & Radiance class ships ;)

I guess you've never been in a JS. There is no comparison between them and a standard balcony room. Well, they both have a bed. Layout, storage, closet, bathroom, balcony size - a standard balcony doesn't come close.

If a grand suite is close in price, I'll give up the walk in closet for 2 sinks.

Some people share small cramped spaces well. My DH and I don't.

Gina

I think that they are significantly larger than the average balcony cabin. And no, they're not just for ego;) - they are a lot more comfortable for those of us who spend a lot of time in the cabin. But the whole JS category is relatively new, maybe 2003 or 2004 since RCI has been calling them that. They used to be a Category C balcony - that's what we booked for our first aft balcony on Vision - 8088.

I'm with Gina in hoping that the deck plans are incorrect - I was looking at some cabins on the stern and they seem awfully large to be Superior Ocean View with Balcony (and there was no balcony in the plans), so it could be that there will be more of our favorite cabin category...

I'm not sure how it works out on all ships, but on Voyager class, the JS cabins are almost 50% bigger than the next category down (Superior Ocean View with Balcony).

I know what catagory I'll book..my favorite JS's on the Freedom & Radiance class ships ;)

Good one!

I'm hoping the deck plans are "off" too. If not, I'm think a Spa JS may work for us. But will definitely have to see what the price difference is. Does anyone know when they will have more information on the cabin descriptions and prices?

WOW! What a post.

For your info, JS are significantly larger than a balcony. And for people like us who take all our own scuba gear having that walk in closet to store it and a bathtub to rinse it down in post dive is worth every extra penny it cost.

Also, I cruise with my son. That walk in closet doubles as a dressing room making it so much easier for us get ready.

Good one!

I'm hoping the deck plans are "off" too. If not, I'm think a Spa JS may work for us. But will definitely have to see what the price difference is. Does anyone know when they will have more information on the cabin descriptions and prices?

The spa JS is a good location. But like you, I wonder what the upcharge will be for what extras. To get plusher bath mats, flowers in my room, the ability to have a paid massage in my room and eat in a "special" dining room isn't my idea of anything worth a premium. If I remember correctly these are some of the things offered between concierge and spa rooms on Celebrity. And their rooms are no better than a regular balcony room. Adding those things to a JS would be pointless.

Gina

Archived