Quantum of the Seas - Where have all the Junior Suites gone???

The spa JS is a good location. But like you, I wonder what the upcharge will be for what extras. To get plusher bath mats, flowers in my room, the ability to have a paid massage in my room and eat in a "special" dining room isn't my idea of anything worth a premium. If I remember correctly these are some of the things offered between concierge and spa rooms on Celebrity. And their rooms are no better than a regular balcony room. Adding those things to a JS would be pointless.

Gina

I agree Gina those things are not any big deal to me. I was just looking at the location mostly. Hopefully they will have the descriptions of the new cabins soon and we can all start figuring what works best for us and our pocketbooks. ;)

I think that they are significantly larger than the average balcony cabin. And no, they're not just for ego;) - they are a lot more comfortable for those of us who spend a lot of time in the cabin. But the whole JS category is relatively new, maybe 2003 or 2004 since RCI has been calling them that. They used to be a Category C balcony - that's what we booked for our first aft balcony on Vision - 8088.

I'm with Gina in hoping that the deck plans are incorrect - I was looking at some cabins on the stern and they seem awfully large to be Superior Ocean View with Balcony (and there was no balcony in the plans), so it could be that there will be more of our favorite cabin category...

Take a look at the deck below those aft cabins. They have the same room number - those are the lofts. Balcony below, window on the top floor. They've gone and taken our balcony and JS aft cabins from us to use them for lofts. :(

Gina

I have always wondered what JS are all about :confused:

They don't seem to be much bigger than some of the other Cabins and when you look under benefits, lurks and perks for the other Suites , JS seem to be excluded from most of the benefits of suites

Allowing that cruise liners seem to be full of people who are "Would be if they Could be" they are probably for people to say "and we stayed in a Junior Suite" to friends and family .

Cynical old me :cool:

Absolutely untrue.:( A JS cabin is our cabin of choice because of size and comfort. And they are substantially much larger than your standard balcony cabins.

You are correct in that there aren't many perks that come with a JS.......except double C&A points.

Take a look at the deck below those aft cabins. They have the same room number - those are the lofts. Balcony below, window on the top floor. They've gone and taken our balcony and JS aft cabins from us to use them for lofts. :(

Gina

Those loft suites are nice and all but WAY too pricey. Do people really even book those? I know that on the Oasis class ships, they are usually the last type to be booked and given to the upgrade fairy because they can't sell them. Just my opinion but way too rich for my blood. :eek:

wow, you guys are awefully butt-hurt over a partial, conceptual rendering for a ship that hasn't even been built yet.

You may have to think outside the box a little, things are different, you're going to have to change with the times.

Absolutely untrue.:( A JS cabin is our cabin of choice because of size and comfort. And they are substantially much larger than your standard balcony cabins.

You are correct in that there aren't many perks that come with a JS.......except double C&A points.

And I was thinking that many of us (me included) get suite perks anyway, so we go with the JS for the space. To pay more for perks we already get isn't something we do unless the price is right. And on this ship, that right price for a suite isn't likely to be for a few years...or more. Oasis suites are still priced higher than I want to pay.

Maybe we are the ones they are messing with. :rolleyes: :)

Gina

wow, you guys are awefully butt-hurt over a partial, conceptual rendering for a ship that hasn't even been built yet.

You may have to think outside the box a little, things are different, you're going to have to change with the times.

Ouch!! :eek:

Come on. Don't kick us while we are down. :p

Gina

And I was thinking that many of us (me included) get suite perks anyway, so we go with the JS for the space. To pay more for perks we already get isn't something we do unless the price is right. And on this ship, that right price for a suite isn't likely to be for a few years...or more. Oasis suites are still priced higher than I want to pay.

Gina

I hear ya.:p BTW, Congratulations on getting those extra suite perks!!;)

We got to experience Barefoot Beach on Labadee while on Enchantment. All I can say is..........we were WOW'd.

It's all about having plenty of room to move around. A fantastic closet, larger bathroom with a [small] tub/shower combo that's larger than the tube style & comfortable seating. No suite perks but, they don't cost what suites do. Double points are a nice bonus but it's the space that lures most of us in.

For the record, they are significantly larger than a regular balcony cabin &, IMHO, your last comment is rude & uncalled for.

I guess you've never been in a JS. There is no comparison between them and a standard balcony room. Well, they both have a bed. Layout, storage, closet, bathroom, balcony size - a standard balcony doesn't come close.

If a grand suite is close in price, I'll give up the walk in closet for 2 sinks.

Some people share small cramped spaces well. My DH and I don't.

Gina

I have to agree. Definately our favorite stateroom!;)

and i was thinking that many of us (me included) get suite perks anyway, so we go with the js for the space. To pay more for perks we already get isn't something we do unless the price is right. And on this ship, that right price for a suite isn't likely to be for a few years...or more. Oasis suites are still priced higher than i want to pay.

gina

like! ;)

We mostly book E category balcony cabins and there appear to be hardly any of those as well. The JS's are nice and we love the extra space, but usually get the E balcony cabins, unless the price isn't much different. There appear to be plenty of different D category balconies. Not sure how much I want to sail on this ship yet.

Mary Anne

I hear ya.:p BTW, Congratulations on getting those extra suite perks!!;)

We got to experience Barefoot Beach on Labadee while on Enchantment. All I can say is..........we were WOW'd.

Our friend Billwi posted some pictures of his cabana while on Labadee. I was wowed just by the pic. And to this day I still haven't been to Labadee. Our first cruise ever was supposed to go there but the govt. had other plans for us and due to unrest in the region the port was canceled.

Finally we will be going on Oasis for a friend's birthday. He is from St. Thomas and wanted to do the cruise that stops there....so..... darn.

Maybe one day I, too, will be wowed by Labadee and barefoot beach and maybe even a cabana on the water.

I don't even know why I like the CL. I rarely drink. Maybe it's just the entertainment. ;)

I can only hope they invite people to a pre-inaugural sailing on Quantum and maybe they'll send me an invite. Although they never have seemed to get my email issues fixed completely so maybe I'll never hear from them again. For some reason they just sent my husband 2 D+ luggage tags to welcome him to D+ status. No kidding. It's always something. He once got a welcome to platinum level (after already being D+) and that's when all our email trouble started.

Gina

Couldn't find any single JS, only JS in the connecting family units. I wonder if they'll sell the JS alone. Personally, I'm not interested in all those upscale suites we can't afford. Give me a good JS instead.

The JS are 2 on just about every, if not all decks. One on each tucked in corner at the front of the hump. Right on the hump are the "spa" junior suites.

Gina

The JS are 2 on just about every, if not all decks. One on each tucked in corner at the front of the hump. Right on the hump are the "spa" junior suites.

Gina

No stand alones, just those connected w/ an inside & balcony. They also have a yellow line around the triplet. The balcony has a door directly to the hallway, but the JS and Inside Staterom has a shared door to the hallway. DH worries about noise if we got the JS and a family bought the Balcony and Inside.

Wish they'd have posted square feet.

That's really interesting they are connecting a studio. That means fewer studios for solo cruisers (assuming RCI is using studio in the same way NCL is).

Yeah, I'm interested in this too. If you're cruising solo, you're usually not with a family that you want to connect your room to. I know I'm not. If I were traveling with other people, I wouldn't have a need for a single cabin. I'm a little confused.

Just doing some counting and comparing to Oasis and Freedom class with the numbers of suites and you may find this interesting. I have grouped some of the suites into a category as we do not yet know the differences.

Loft suites

Quantum - 10

Oasis - 28

Freedom - 0

Large Suites ie royal. presidential Aqua

Quantum - 4

Oasis - 12

Freedom - 6

Owners

Quantum - 2

Oasis - 10

Freedom - 8

Grand, Supreme Grand

Quantum - 18

Oasis - 30

Freedom - 22

Junior (all)

Quantum - 78

Oasis -0 86

Freedom - 84

Total Suites

Quantum - 112

Oasis - 166

Freedom - 120

Even given the Oasis's larger size it looks like they have reduced the overall number of suites even compared to the Freedom (a smaller ship). Within the suites they have definitely done away with the mega suites ie royal, presidential and aqua. Looks like a lot of the JS's have been configured for families. definitely will be interesting to see actual square footages for all these so we can compare. And prices.

Yeah, I'm interested in this too. If you're cruising solo, you're usually not with a family that you want to connect your room to. I know I'm not. If I were traveling with other people, I wouldn't have a need for a single cabin. I'm a little confused.

And cruising solo, even if the door is locked between the two areas, we all know how the rooms with connecting doors aren't very sound proof. I won't book a room with a door if I can help it. And with kids on the other side, a solo cruiser likely isn't going to enjoy the sounds from the other side.

Gina

No stand alones, just those connected w/ an inside & balcony. They also have a yellow line around the triplet. The balcony has a door directly to the hallway, but the JS and Inside Staterom has a shared door to the hallway. DH worries about noise if we got the JS and a family bought the Balcony and Inside.

Wish they'd have posted square feet.

You are right. I hadn't looked that closely. The situation is worse than I thought. There are apparently NO true junior suites. Those don't count if they connect. The family junior suites aren't normal JSs. And the spa JS may or may not work depending on what is included for what price and whether or not it's even worth it. The big question is what makes it designated "spa".

:(

But like someone else said....the one I'll book will be on Radiance class. I had hoped Quantum was going to be a newer more elegant ship styled after the Radiance class but I understand they are trying to attract newer, younger, family types that will be around longer than the next 40 years I plan to be here. ;) I even took a recent liking to Rhapsody so that is always an option even though Vision class JSs are much smaller than the other classes. They still work for me.

Gina

Virtually anything is possible. :)

The ship may WOW people over all, but I'm still not wowed by the lack of JS in comparison to standard balcony rooms. I guess that's why they are saying the rooms are 9% larger - to make up for the stripping away of the standard JS that will force some people to downgrade. I never found a D balcony room to be quite large enough for my liking.

Of course it shouldn't bother me. I'm not likely to be flying to the NE to go on a Caribbean cruise, living in FL.

I finally see the 3rd category of JS - Family JS - which is likely going to require more than 2 people in them and may not even be comparable to the standard JS.

Maybe this is part of an effort to lower the number of people making D+? I don't know. I also see that the solo traveler rooms are part of the modular room design with these jr suites. I wonder if they are going to hold back the reserving of either of these rooms to see if they get sold as a package.

Archived