Quantum of the Seas - Where have all the Junior Suites gone???

The more I look at the deck plans and where the normal JS are located, the more aggrivated I get. I never book cabins that have a connecting door unless I'm traveling with the people. I am starting to think I really don't like the Quantum very much and so disappointed. I hope over the next few weeks, that I change my mind because I was really looking forward to sailing out of NJ on a new ship. :confused:

And I was thinking that many of us (me included) get suite perks anyway, so we go with the JS for the space. To pay more for perks we already get isn't something we do unless the price is right. And on this ship, that right price for a suite isn't likely to be for a few years...or more. Oasis suites are still priced higher than I want to pay.

Maybe we are the ones they are messing with. :rolleyes: :)

Gina

I'm hearing you and agree...One more cruise May 17th Alaska to finally become D+ (I'm 2 points away :eek:). Love the JS's and can't justify the move to Oasis/Allure yet until the prices comes down a bit..So in the meantime I'll keep booking the Freedom & Radiance class as often as I can...QOS not interested.;):)

Other than the JS quads that are connected to the other 2 cabins the Family JS and the Spa JS look to be about the same size with the family JS just a tad bigger. The biggest difference that I notice is that it Looks like the family JS can sleep 5 (sofa bed and a Pullman) while the spa JS only sleeps 2. Not sure the spa thing means anything similar to Celebrity but may just be a way of differentiating the cabin sleeping accommodations easier. Similar to how different numbers and letters for insides/outsides/balconies now work.

Maybe this is part of an effort to lower the number of people making D+? I don't know. I also see that the solo traveler rooms are part of the modular room design with these jr suites. I wonder if they are going to hold back the reserving of either of these rooms to see if they get sold as a package.

Certainly that can't be their intent with just one ship. It would be a whole lot easier to slow the growth by eliminating the extra point altogether of the JS on all ships and put a reasonable amount of JSs on Quantum.

I certainly don't want a JS with a door connecting to the next room.

Gina

I think everyone may be confused. It seems to me the spa junior, being the smallest of the junior suites, is the NEW Junior suite. I am not expecting an up charge for it being spa-like as that appears to only describe the bathroom.

Royal Caribbean owns Celebrity and their spa suites have extra "spa" amenities and the upcharge to go with them.

Sorry...they don't call them spa rooms. I always thought they did. It's "aqua class" with "spa elements". As they describe them:

These veranda staterooms offer spa elements infused into the stateroom experience and priority seating in the exclusive and chic specialty restaurant, Blu. These spa-inspired staterooms, offer unlimited access to the AquaSpa® Relaxation Room (on Solstice Class only) and Persian Garden as well as a host of other soothing extras. If you love the spa, there's no finer way to travel.

I am just hoping the spa junior suites aren't along these lines.

Gina

Royal Caribbean owns Celebrity and their spa suites have extra "spa" amenities and the upcharge to go with them.

Gina

That may be the case but when you factor in the size of the spa junior (located in the e brochure) it feels like these are comparable to a normal JS on another ship.

Alright, I just found out what a spa JS is and I LOVE it. I'll pay extra for it without a doubt.

It will have a shower separate from the tub. And there will be a 2nd half bath that includes just a toilet and sink.

The weird part is that the shower will have a frosted glass wall that will allow light in from the bedroom. In other words, whoever is in there will likely see your shadow. Fine, if no one is there other than a close friend or spouse.

What I liked best about a GS is the second sink. A second toilet is a real bonus. And now we can walk into the shower without climbing into a tub.

Yippee!!

Gina

And that family JS configuration doesn't have a door directly connected to another room so it's probably fine, too. The 3 rooms just share the common vestibule. I suspect it will likely be booked together though unless it's still available at the end. Then you might get to know your neighbors pretty well in the "vestibule". :)

Gina

And cruising solo, even if the door is locked between the two areas, we all know how the rooms with connecting doors aren't very sound proof. I won't book a room with a door if I can help it. And with kids on the other side, a solo cruiser likely isn't going to enjoy the sounds from the other side.

Gina

Take a look at the floor plan again -- none of the three "family connected rooms" actually share a true connecting door. The closest they come is a "common secondary hallway".

At no time can you enter one stateroom from another room without going through the little shared secondary hallway. They share common walls with other rooms, but you get that in any stateroom situation. There is no true connecting door.

Take a look at the floor plan again -- none of the three "family connected rooms" actually share a true connecting door. The closest they come is a "common secondary hallway".

At no time can you enter one stateroom from another room without going through the little shared secondary hallway. They share common walls with other rooms, but you get that in any stateroom situation. There is no true connecting door.

I addressed this and stated all of this in a later post. I said it would work for me along with the extra nice features of the spa junior suite. In other words, my thinking about these staterooms has changed now that I know what they really are.

Gina

Alright, I just found out what a spa JS is and I LOVE it. I'll pay extra for it without a doubt.

It will have a shower separate from the tub. And there will be a 2nd half bath that includes just a toilet and sink.

The weird part is that the shower will have a frosted glass wall that will allow light in from the bedroom. In other words, whoever is in there will likely see your shadow. Fine, if no one is there other than a close friend or spouse.

What I liked best about a GS is the second sink. A second toilet is a real bonus. And now we can walk into the shower without climbing into a tub.

Yippee!!

Gina

We also love JS, especially when we our youngest daughter travels with us. What I don't understand is why the spa JS would have the extra bathroom facilities yet only sleep 2.

I would like to see a floor plan for the spa JS. I hope they haven't eliminated the walk in closet. The JS connected to the family unit area appears to have much less storage than previous junior suites. There is dead space in that closet and the cabinets beside the bed is shown as a closet. Let's hope the artist just didn't draw in the shelves. That piece of furniture in the room may have drawers, hopefully. And the artist forgot the TV on the wall in the JS. :)

Can I pick anything else apart? :p

Gina

It's all about having plenty of room to move around. A fantastic closet, larger bathroom with a [small] tub/shower combo that's larger than the tube style & comfortable seating. No suite perks but, they don't cost what suites do. Double points are a nice bonus but it's the space that lures most of us in.

For the record, they are significantly larger than a regular balcony cabin &, IMHO, your last comment is rude & uncalled for.

I AGREE!!! We booked a JS for the first time for our next cruise. We are looking forward to the larger cabin & balcony since there are 3 of us sharing it! Too bad some people are so narrow minded to think others book a suite as a status symbol...sounds like a bit of jealousy to me! :eek:

Great points. Looks like a great approach.

Thanks for this thread. After looking at the deck plans, I am wondering where are all the wheelchair accessible balcony cabins?

TrikeRider, I understand your confusion. There are only 12 balcony (D cat) cabins on the ship and these are all on the starboard side, unlike the configuration on the other ships. There are only four each on Deck 7,8, and 9. I don't know how many balcony (D cat) cabins total there are on the ship.

There do not appear to be any JS wheelchair accessible cabins, but there does appear to be one Spa JS wheelchair accessible cabin, although I don't know a Spa JS wheelchair cabin will work with a roll in shower.

To paraphrase the comparison listing of all of the suites on the Quantum but comparing to number of wheelchair accessible suites onboard:

Loft suites

Quantum - 10

Wheelchair Accessible--0

Large Suites ie royal. presidential Aqua

Quantum - 4

Wheelchair Accessible--0

Owners

Quantum - 2

Wheelchair Accessible- 0

Grand, Supreme Grand

Quantum - 18

Wheelchair Accessible-- 0

Junior (all)

Quantum - 78

Wheelchair Accessible Junior (All)- 1

Total Suites

Quantum - 112

Wheelchair accessible Suites - 1

Great points. Looks like a great approach.

If I were with family I wouldn't be so crazy about this approach. There is no common living area so if everyone wants to get together in their own cabin space, they have to use someone's bedroom. But this is probably good in one way - there will be no concierge access since this isn't considered a true suite either. Hopefully the weather will be nice so they can use the large balcony with the smaller of the 3 rooms still requiring a walk through someone's bedroom (if the door isn't locked).

It really doesn't seem like a great family space to me - just 3 bedrooms which can be found on a common hall just as easily.

Gina

If I were with family I wouldn't be so crazy about this approach. There is no common living area so if everyone wants to get together in their own cabin space, they have to use someone's bedroom. But this is probably good in one way - there will be no concierge access since this isn't considered a true suite either. Hopefully the weather will be nice so they can use the large balcony with the smaller of the 3 rooms still requiring a walk through someone's bedroom (if the door isn't locked).

It really doesn't seem like a great family space to me - just 3 bedrooms which can be found on a common hall just as easily.

Gina

I think the advantage is that previously, if mom and dad wanted to book a junior suite, and have the kids in a separate, cheaper cabin, that was hard to find, since you don't typically find a JS next door to a regular balcony, or a JS next door to an interior. So the new design isn't so much about having common living space as it is being able to book different cabin categories and have them all right next to each other in a pseudo-adjoining layout.

Archived